Job Promotion - How to Show on Resume

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishmonger

Job Promotion - How to Show on Resume

Post by fishmonger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:07 pm

I'll try to keep this brief and not get bogged down in the weeds of why I'm considering leaving my current employer. Have been at my current role for close to 3 years (Assistant Controller). My boss is retiring in November 2019 and I will be promoted to Controller/CFO. At the same time I am starting to actively look for other opportunities.

How do I present that on my resume that I am tapped for a promotion that I may never take? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Swimmer

Re: Job Promotion - How to Show on Resume

Post by Swimmer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:12 pm

To maintain your integrity, I wouldn’t include it until you officially hold the position.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:15 pm

personally, i wouldn't put it on my resume but would bring it up at an interview.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Leave it out of the resume until it actually happens, but work it into the cover letter, and if you’re working with any recruiters, make sure they know.

This is, of course, assuming that you can explain why you would leave a company when you’re expecting to get promoted, because the topic will definitely come up.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Swimmer wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:12 pm
To maintain your integrity, I wouldn’t include it until you officially hold the position.
+1. Dishonesty will catch up with you, eventually.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:28 pm
Swimmer wrote:
I disagree, most people embellish their resumes.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Can you say that you are in training for the new position?

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:39 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:15 pm
Leave it out of the resume until it actually happens, but work it into the cover letter, and if you’re working with any recruiters, make sure they know.

This is, of course, assuming that you can explain why you would leave a company when you’re expecting to get promoted, because the topic will definitely come up.

OR...Hold off on the job search until you legitimately have the title. But, then, you’ll need to explain why you are moving on when in the position such a short time.

Do you mind sharing why you are looking for another job?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:40 pm

masonstone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:33 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Swimmer wrote:
Embellish - white lie or slight stretch of actual work.
Dishonesty - outright lying. You never performed that function. There is a big difference.

And, I've seen people get fired for misrepresenting their background. In any event, if OP is a CPA then they are bound by ethical requirements.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:40 pm
masonstone wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Swimmer wrote:
Dishonesty - outright lying. You never performed that function. There is a big difference.

And, I've seen people get fired for misrepresenting their background. In any event, if OP is a CPA then they are bound by ethical requirements.

Maybe it’s me, but if I’m an Assistant Controller, billing myself as Controller rises above the level of “embellishing.”

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:13 pm

masonstone wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Swimmer wrote:
The people I know who embellished their resumes did eventually lose their jobs since they didn’t perform as expected.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
masonstone wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Swimmer wrote:
There are industries where you can effectively be blacklisted for crimes of honor. I once had to fire someone whose lie was really a matter of interpretation, and related to a many year previous indiscretion, but legal/compliance would not budge. My takeaway quote: “he could have killed his grandmother with a shovel, and he could continue to work here. Having answered that question differently means that once was a lie, and he can’t work here.” FWIW, the questions weren’t identical, and my view was that a non-lawyer relatively unsophisticated person could interpret the questions differently. No matter. He had to go, and could not be rehired.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:18 pm

Swimmer wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:46 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
masonstone wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Swimmer wrote:

Maybe it’s me, but if I’m an Assistant Controller, billing myself as Controller rises above the level of “embellishing.”
I know you are quoting me, but its poster MasonStone who believes it's okay to embellish or that most people who do so are getting away with it. I do not think it's okay to say you are a Controller when your position is actually below it. The difference between a Controller and Assistant Controller is one actually signs off on all of the financials while the other may only be responsible for a portion of them or performs a financial reporting function unrelated to the actual accounting of the books.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:45 pm

You could list Controller on your resume with a date of “ Promotion to be effective November 2019.”

But I’d address the “why” in the cover letter.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Resume or CV, I wouldn't put it on.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:31 pm

agree with the others that the obvious question to come up will be, "Why are you leaving when you are being promoted?". But to answer your question, you could easily list the new title with the correct dates:

Controller, ACME Widgets, Inc. November 2019
Asst. Controller, ACME Widgets, Inc. June 2016-present

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:48 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:46 pm
masonstone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:11 pm

Unfortunately most who lie on their resume get away with it, and get ahead because of it.
masonstone,

So what? That is their problem. They have to live with that. The only relevant question is whether we as an individual choose to be part of that.

KlangFool
Well the relevance is that even the most basic economic theories explain how those following the rules usually fall behind those cheating the rules.

leeks

Post by leeks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:50 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:15 pm
+1
feel free to mention the expected promotion in cover letter or interview, but it does not belong on your resume

Bendee

Post by Bendee » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:03 pm

I wouldn't do it for 3 reasons:

1) The position you are in/going towards is one that needs to be guided by ethics. If you were in sales, they likely wouldn't care as much (and I could even see some on your sales team respecting you for blatantly lying like that if caught) but a Controller/CFO getting caught lying like that seems like a great way to get fired.

2) I have no idea the size of your company, but what are the odds that people could Google 'fishmonger %YourCurrentCompany% CFO', not find anything, and then remove your name from that search, bringing up someone who is clearly not you. You aren't some generic position but someone in the C-Suite, so you risk getting found out.

3) No idea about the size of your industry or how wide a net you are casting by either industry or geographically, but you never know who at your new firm knows someone at your old firm. I moved from a Fintech company to a consulting firm (that doesn't deal in anything related to Fintech), and found out after I moved there that my new boss has a good friend at my old firm (who I also knew) and he asked his friend about me before making me an offer.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:38 pm

I don't see any way to list it on your resume if you have not held the job. I've never seen someone list all the jobs that they were offered and didn't accept. If you think it would be helpful you can bring it up during an interview and explain why you are not interested in that position with your current employer.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Mlm wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:38 pm
I don't see any way to list it on your resume if you have not held the job. I've never seen someone list all the jobs that they were offered and didn't accept.
For that matter, I’ve never seen a CV with dates in the future. Bizarre.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:37 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:30 pm
Mlm wrote:
I don't see any way to list it on your resume if you have not held the job. I've never seen someone list all the jobs that they were offered and didn't accept.
I’ve routinely seen CVs with future a publication date.

Post by 123 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:06 pm

If you search for another position after you are anointed as Controller/CFO other companies might ask why you don't stay to fix things where you are. Are you afraid of the challenges or are your abilities lacking? Do you have problems getting along with high level executives?

The questions from potential alternate employers would be a lot less biting if you apply elsewhere while you are an Assistant Controller.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:17 pm

I have added future job titles to my resume, along with expected starting date. I've also made up job titles and listed them along with the real title when an employer has clearly added responsibility without changing my title.

As for why you might want to leave a job after getting a promotion, I think most hiring managers understand that internal promotions typically earn less than external hires for the same role.

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:59 am

123 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:06 pm
If you search for another position after you are anointed as Controller/CFO other companies might ask why you don't stay to fix things where you are. Are you afraid of the challenges or are your abilities lacking? Do you have problems getting along with high level executives?

The questions from potential alternate employers would be a lot less biting if you apply elsewhere while you are an Assistant Controller.

I think further discussion needs to include the OP’s explanation of why he wants to move on. There may be a very good reason but who knows? OP?

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am

masonstone wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:37 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mlm wrote:
Or with a degree that will be earned at a future date — like seniors in college who are applying for jobs in March and will graduate in June.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:15 am

delamer wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am
masonstone wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mlm wrote:
Or with a degree that will be earned at a future date — like seniors in college who are applying for jobs in March and will graduate in June.
I get that. My kids have done that, but described it as “expected.”

To put a (presumed) promotion in ahead of time is something different, especially one to Controller, CEO, CIO, etc., where the level of authority and autonomy are orders of magnitude higher.

Whatever. You say tomato, I say tomahto.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:21 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:15 am
delamer wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am
masonstone wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mlm wrote:
I get that. My kids have done that, but described it as “expected.”

To put a (presumed) promotion in ahead of time is something different, especially one to Controller, CEO, CIO, etc., where the level of authority and autonomy are orders of magnitude higher.

Whatever. You say tomato, I say tomahto.
“Expected” along with the date is exactly what I suggested above that the OP say if s/he decides to include the promotion on the resume.

I tend to think it isn’t a good idea though, even with the caveat.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:39 am

delamer wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:21 am
“Expected” along with the date is exactly what I suggested above that the OP say if s/he decides to include the promotion on the resume.
I tend to think it isn’t a good idea though, even with the caveat.
I should have done a better job of quoting. I was more responding to the “everyone lies, it’s business as usual, you’re a sap if you don’t also” posts than to your very reasonable post.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:48 am

“Expected” is one thing for a degree or a publication where the thing happening is a reasonable certainty.

In the corporate world, nothing is certain until it actually happens. Putting it in he resume with an expected date would be really odd.

At OP’s level, I’m sure he/she is working with a recruiter. Let the recruiter disseminate the information to the prospective companies.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:34 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:07 pm
I'll try to keep this brief and not get bogged down in the weeds of why I'm considering leaving my current employer. Have been at my current role for close to 3 years (Assistant Controller). My boss is retiring in November 2019 and I will be promoted to Controller/CFO. At the same time I am starting to actively look for other opportunities.

How do I present that on my resume that I am tapped for a promotion that I may never take? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Maybe its better to accept the promotion, work for a couple of months and then look for a new company?

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:18 pm

OP, I would not mention it anywhere except maybe in the interview along with why you want to leave the current job when you are getting promoted. The promotion is not a promotion till you get it and HR updates the role in the system. I have seen promised promotions not materialize for different reasons.

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Several off topic posts and contentious posts have been removed. Please keep the replies focused on the question posed by the OP.

Moderator Misenplace

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies, sorry for the late response y'all.

To be clear, I would never put Controller as my title without holding the position. I was just looking for feedback to see if there was a "proper" way to represent there was a promotion on the table.

I said in the initial post that I didn't want to get into the details of my situation, but here goes. I was hired as an Asst Controller close to 3 years ago, with the assumption that the current Controller would be moving on in the short term. The one massive monkey wrench that got thrown into the mix was this privately held, family owned company of 200 employees was bought out by a large, national company in Nov 2018. We went from calling all of our own shots, to an environment that is micromanaged like nothing I've ever seen. To make it worse, there is an extreme level of incompetence at Corporate headquarters that is maddening on a daily basis. I was holding out hope that the first few months was just a transition period, but it's clear now that it's a systemic problem at Corporate that is not going to change. There's plenty more, but that's the nuts and bolts of it.

Even though it might benefit me for my next role, I would prefer not to take the promotion and leave them high and dry after a few months. I have a ton of respect for the ex-owners and their family, and I wouldn't feel right doing that to them.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:51 am

fishmonger wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 pm

To be clear, I would never put Controller as my title without holding the position. I was just looking for feedback to see if there was a "proper" way to represent there was a promotion on the table.

I said in the initial post that I didn't want to get into the details of my situation, but here goes. I was hired as an Asst Controller close to 3 years ago, with the assumption that the current Controller would be moving on in the short term. The one massive monkey wrench that got thrown into the mix was this privately held, family owned company of 200 employees was bought out by a large, national company in Nov 2018. We went from calling all of our own shots, to an environment that is micromanaged like nothing I've ever seen. To make it worse, there is an extreme level of incompetence at Corporate headquarters that is maddening on a daily basis. I was holding out hope that the first few months was just a transition period, but it's clear now that it's a systemic problem at Corporate that is not going to change. There's plenty more, but that's the nuts and bolts of it.

Even though it might benefit me for my next role, I would prefer not to take the promotion and leave them high and dry after a few months. I have a ton of respect for the ex-owners and their family, and I wouldn't feel right doing that to them.
Well it’s now owned by megacorp so what do you care about the previous owners? Also, career wise you really should look out for what’s best for you and not what’s best for megacorp. I’m pretty sure they would AX you without hesitation if the numbers didn’t make you profitable for them.

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:06 am

masonstone wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:51 am
fishmonger wrote:

Well it’s now owned by megacorp so what do you care about the previous owners? Also, career wise you really should look out for what’s best for you and not what’s best for megacorp. I’m pretty sure they would AX you without hesitation if the numbers didn’t make you profitable for them.
Previous owners stayed on as managers. We're a construction company that from an operations perspective, not all that much has changed. It's the accounting/business side that was thrown into upheaval, hence the move

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 am

It’s July. November isn’t that far off. I’m sure you know better than to jump at the first offer that comes your way. I would quietly continue your job search while trying not to let megacorp incompetence get under your skin (I know, not as easy as it sounds). Patience, grasshopper.

When November rolls around, if you’re still there, let the chips fall where they may. In the meantime, I’d avoid any mention of an impending promotion on a resume. I think even in an interview, I’d avoid mentioning it. It will only lead to questioning your motivation. While your reasoning sounds logical and perfectly understandable to me, it could be perceived as badmouthing or whining by some.

Be assured that incompetence and micromanaging is all to common in the workplace.

As to the feelings of former owners, forget about it. When they sold the company, do you not think the decision was profit motivated?

I wish you continued success. Sounds like you deserve it.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:57 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:06 am
masonstone wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Previous owners stayed on as managers. We're a construction company that from an operations perspective, not all that much has changed. It's the accounting/business side that was thrown into upheaval, hence the move
The previous owners / current managers are going to quit once their contract agreement expires. You really should look out for yourself more.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 pm

masonstone wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:57 pm
fishmonger wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:06 am
masonstone wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

The previous owners / current managers are going to quit once their contract agreement expires. You really should look out for yourself more.
This. They will quit as soon as the sale agreement allows them to. Don’t think you are harming them in any way.

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:08 am

Swimmer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 am
It’s July. November isn’t that far off. I’m sure you know better than to jump at the first offer that comes your way. I would quietly continue your job search while trying not to let megacorp incompetence get under your skin (I know, not as easy as it sounds). Patience, grasshopper.

When November rolls around, if you’re still there, let the chips fall where they may. In the meantime, I’d avoid any mention of an impending promotion on a resume. I think even in an interview, I’d avoid mentioning it. It will only lead to questioning your motivation. While your reasoning sounds logical and perfectly understandable to me, it could be perceived as badmouthing or whining by some.

Be assured that incompetence and micromanaging is all to common in the workplace.

As to the feelings of former owners, forget about it. When they sold the company, do you not think the decision was profit motivated?

I wish you continued success. Sounds like you deserve it.
Great advice, thank you. An important note I should add is that I live in a rural area where jobs like this are not all that common (unless you want to commute an hour each way, which I would prefer not to)

scottgekko

Post by scottgekko » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:56 am

I would rather job hunt as a current CFO than an assistant controller. Wait until you obtain the title in November, then start your search in the new year.