Time for a new car - Corolla or Civic...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Time for a new car - Corolla or Civic...

Post by Barkingsparrow » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:43 am

Currently I have a 2012 Camry, 2009 Civic, and a 2004 Civic which my daughter drives. The 2004 has been a great car with minimal issues but it is
showing its age, electronic door locks stopped working, small leaks, funny squeals, etc. That said, the engine still runs fine. I'd like to dump it, give my daughter the 2009 Civic, and buy a new car for me; as I don't want to push our luck on the 2004.

The cars that I have my eye on is either the 2020 Toyota LE or a Honda Civic; but from the reviews it appears that the Corolla has better predicted reliability.

Any Boglehead owners of either car? I plan to buy by the end of the year, but I don't think waiting on the Corolla will matter because the new 2021 is not out until next June.

abonder

Re: Time for a new car - Corolla or Civic...

Post by abonder » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:50 am

The 2020 corolla is a redesign the utilizes the TNGA platform. Essentially should be a major improvement from earlier corolla and reliability should be good due to it being an established platform.

I think the civic is clearly the more engaging of the two choices. Although it is not a fresh redesign it’s still fairly recently revamped and I believe that it has the full complement of safety features available. It also has a wide range of options in terms of engines/performance - from a naturally-aspirated engine to a very powerful turbo on the type R model with some middle options between. The corolla also now has a hatchback option available.

I think both options will serve you well, probably more of a preference based on your personal likes.

matjen

Post by matjen » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:52 am

My brother bought the new Corolla hatchback for his kids and is very happy. Hard to beat the combination of reliability, low initial cost, mileage on regular gas, built in suite of safety features, and built in Apple CarPlay to ensure the mapping and entertainment features will remain up-to-date.

I'm sure the Civic is great also but perhaps a bit more $ and a bit less reliable.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:53 am

The 2020 Corolla has had some recent excellent reviews.

Try driving both - and see what you think.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:01 am

Drive both for long enough to assess seating. It took about 15-20 minutes in a test drive in a Honda Accord for me to figure out that the seats were extremely uncomfortable for a long period of time. The typical spin around the neighborhood that dealers normally suggest isn't enough. Rent if you can and take a day trip; sit on both sides (make sure someone else is driving when you sit in the passenger seat :P )
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:08 am

I think the Civic still lacks blind-spot monitoring, even on the highest Touring trim level. I believe it is available on some Corolla models. Also, the audio system on the Civic has been criticized as unintuitive.
That said, I'd probably go with the Civic, for a better driving experience.
Either would be a good choice.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:10 am

Get Honda Insight. Thank me later.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:11 am

Also, since others may or will drive the car - get input from them.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 am

If you get a Civic, be sure to avoid the models with the gas dilution problem: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=244271

graeme

Post by graeme » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:37 am

After commuting in a 2003 Civic for many years and trying to drive carefully to get the best mileage, I decided my priorities weren't right. The ride in an Accord or Camry was much better, especially the Camry. The mileage difference wasn't significant and I felt safer in the Accord or Camry if someone hit me.

Unless you really like smaller vehicles like the Civic or Corolla, I'd recommend looking at larger sedans.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 am

Barkingsparrow:

I have owned both a Honda Civic and a Toyota Corolla. They did their job of getting me from A to B in reasonable comfort. They saved me the time and inconvenience of repairs as well as ten's of thousands of dollars.
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "In the short term the impact of costs may appear modest, but over the long run, investment costs become immensely damaging to an investor's standard of living."
Best Wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:52 am

I consider Apple CarPlay/Android Auto an essential feature on new cars, as they allow you to use Google Maps/Waze (far superior to any factory navigation) and make it easy to play/control music, podcasts, etc. Especially if you keep your car a long time, it's also great future-proofing, as your infotainment will stay updated with your phone, rather than with your car, which will not get significant updates.

The Civic offers both CarPlay and Android Auto, but not on the base LX trim. The 2020 Corolla has CarPlay on all trims, but no Android Auto. (The '19 sedan is the old design and has no CarPlay, but the '19 hatchback is the newer generation and does have CarPlay.)

You might also want to check out the Insight, which is basically the Civic Hybrid. IMHO it's actually better-looking than the Civic sedan. The Corolla sedan is also available as a hybrid - same powertrain as the Prius, without the weird looks.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:54 am

jebmke wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:01 am
Drive both for long enough to assess seating. It took about 15-20 minutes in a test drive in a Honda Accord for me to figure out that the seats were extremely uncomfortable for a long period of time. The typical spin around the neighborhood that dealers normally suggest isn't enough. Rent if you can and take a day trip; sit on both sides (make sure someone else is driving when you sit in the passenger seat :P )
Good advice - most people don't take cars for nearly long enough a test drive. I'd test the car on your daily commute route - the one where you know every pothole and curve and can really judge a car's performance and comfort.

Most dealers won't have a problem with a longer test drive (maybe go on a weekday when it's less busy). Just don't do what this woman did: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/22/wom ... est-drive/

vasaver

Post by vasaver » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:25 pm

What about the Prius Prime? Online I see new ones are about 24.5k and they qualify for the 4.5k federal tax credit...maybe even state/local/utility as well. Great car for 20k.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:19 pm

For some folks, like my wife, seat position(s) and view of the road is very critical.

Others, like me, have a much higher tolerance for variances.

Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. My budget is about the $20K range. The Camry we have we purchased used - I had a "Insider" give me priority for some corporate auction that bought Camry's for their employees, and then sold them after 2 years. I've yet to spend more than $18K on a car in my 40 years of car ownership.

I'm with Taylor - one thing is that I'm looking to minimize car maintenance costs over the longer term. I'm looking at retirement in a few years and looking to get ahead of the game and get some major purchases out of the way before that time.

That said, a lot of information here and I'll review it. Already planning to get to the lot and some test drives in.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:01 pm

I bought a new 2018 Corolla LE about a year and a half ago and I am very happy with it. Here is a post I did about my experience with getting a good deal by buying one on the internet that you might find useful.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239526&p=3746230

At that time the Corolla had standard advanced safety features which the Civic and Hyundai Elantra did not have and that was the main reason I wanted to get a new car. I would assume that they may have them now but you would need to check on the details carefully to see just which safety features they have. The Hyundai Elantra actually had really good reviews and it comes with a better warranty so I would have seriously considered it when I bought my car if it had the advanced safety features back then.

Someone mentioned that the 2020 Corolla was redesigned and some people try to avoid the first year since there are often glitches that need to be worked out.

It is just anecdotal but I have over 17k miles on my Corolla now and other than oil changes, routine inspections, and tire rotations it has not had anything else that needed to be done.(Knock on wood)

One thing to check on is to see which cars come with at least a temporary spare tire. Many new cars now come with no spare tire or even a place to put a spare tire if you wanted to get one yourself. The "run flat" tires seem to be real expensive and not last long, and some cars just depend on a aerosol can of "fix a flat". Not having even a temporary spare tire is something I would try to avoid since I occasionally drive in rural areas where I may not have any cell phone reception.

It would also be good to get insurance quotes on the different models you are looking at. Sometimes those can vary a lot more than you might expect.

If you do not have a strong preference for one model then you could just start getting quotes on the cars to find out if one of them has a lot better deals available and let the price determine which one you get.

milosz19

Post by milosz19 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 pm

As a honda owner, I say - go with Toyota ('honda' was not capitalized on purpose)

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:16 pm

I have a 2016 Honda Civic LX with manual transmission and no options. Bought December 2015, the model year 2016 was the first year of this generation. I have 55,000 miles on it.

Money I've had to put into it:

Rear right strut cracked. No driving issues, but an annoying "clank" when going over bumps. $250 to replace at the dealership.
I hit something and damaged a piece of metal on the bottom of the car. It was hanging and dragged over any bumps. $277 to replace at the dealership.
I had to put new tires on at around 35,000 miles. OEM tires did not last very long -- $400 for a new set of Kumho tires from TireRack installed.
Windshield replacement after a rock hit it and shattered half...$300 at Safelite
Replaced rear brakes and rotors at 55,000 miles -- $250 at the dealership
Oil changes based on the "maintenance minder" approximately every 7,500 - 10,000 miles. I bring it in once the minder hits 5%. Oil changes cost about $40 with the coupon at the dealer.
I replaced engine and cabin filters myself with the washable/reusable K&N filters--about $100
Coolant and transmission fluid changed at 55k miles -- about $120

I can get between 44-46 MPG highway driving at 70MPH depending on the grade, and usually around 36 MPG mixed.

Total amount spent on maintenance: ~$2000 in 3.5 years. I would consider the only thing that actually broke was the strut, the windshield was bad luck, and the metal shielding underneath the car to be my fault.

That said I really like the car, however if I were buying today I'd get the Insight as it's basically a slightly nicer Civic that gets 55MPG. I used to love driving stick shift but as I've gotten older I am more blah on it.

Edit: I forgot to add that my car was hit in a parking lot and the rear bumper was damaged. It cost $640 to replace the rear bumper. Based on prior experience this is actually pretty cheap for a new bumper, not just bond-o and paint.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:26 pm

milosz19 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 pm
As a honda owner, I say - go with Toyota ('honda' was not capitalized on purpose)
Why?
honda noun
hon·​da | \ ˈhändə\
variants: or less commonly hondo \ -​n(ˌ)dō \
plural -s
Definition of honda
: a metal, knotted, or spliced eye at one end of a lariat through which the other end is passed to form a running noose or lasso
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/honda

OP, if you're flexible, you can get the one that offers the better deal at time of purchase. They're both similar cars and either is a fine choice. If you're getting soon, I suspect the early demand on the Corolla will make it more expensive. A year later, they should be about the same.

student

Post by student » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Perhaps you can consider the Insight or the Corolla hybrid.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:56 pm

Get the one you can get the best deal on.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:08 pm

doraemon wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:08 am
I think the Civic still lacks blind-spot monitoring, even on the highest Touring trim level. I believe it is available on some Corolla models. Also, the audio system on the Civic has been criticized as unintuitive.
That said, I'd probably go with the Civic, for a better driving experience.
Either would be a good choice.
I test drove a Civic Sedan EX and it had blind spot monitoring with a camera and a full suite of safety features. It was a blast to drive, as well.

On the other hand, it is part of the recall for engine oil dilution and 2019 models seem to still show signs trouble. I bought a 2019 Honda, but I would not touch the 1.5T. I will say as a 6'4 200lb Honda cars are an acquired taste I am still trying to adjust to.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Probably can't lose with either as they are both reliable and inexpensive to maintain.

I prefer Hondas as I drive a CRV and had a Civic that I rolled over 150,000 easily. No frill (It was a 90s Civic), but reliable and easy to drive.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Just another idea... if you can find a 2018 Mazda 3 you can get a steal due to redesigned 2019. I got mine for almost $6K under the $22.5K MSRP for a well equipped one.

ohai

Post by ohai » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:04 pm

I think buying the old model stock when a new generation comes out is a good idea. However, obviously, evaluate whether you want the features that have been introduced in the past few years. Lately, it has been a lot of active safety systems that even budget cars are now making standard. Maybe this is worth the few thousand dollars to you. These cars all seem relatively inexpensive. So, maybe it is worth ignoring price and just getting what you like.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:14 pm

Watty wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:01 pm
Someone mentioned that the 2020 Corolla was redesigned and some people try to avoid the first year since there are often glitches that need to be worked out.
Yes the 2020 Corolla is a new design, but 1) this is Toyota we're talking about; 2) the platform has been in use since 2015 on the Prius and CH-R, and more recently Camry, RAV4, Highlander, and several Lexus models; the hatchback version of the new Corolla has been on the market over a year now; 3) the engines on the volume-selling trims of the Corolla sedan are carryover.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 pm

Which one has 360° camera?

That’s the one I’d get.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:25 pm

RootSki wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 pm

That’s the one I’d get.
I can't figure much use for a 360 camera. I do like a backup camera with dynamic lines for backing into spots, but the 360 does nothing for me.

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:41 am

Neither. I suggest a Chevy Silverado with black widow package from southern comfort in Trussville, AL. https://www.scaperformance.com/
Now that’s a sweet ride

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:59 am

If I may offer some food for thought as long time owner of Corollas, Civics, and Camries...I would consider going up one level, i.e. select Camry or Accord. The smaller cars are great, but they have their issues. The one that used to drive me crazy was the CV joint boots cracking all the time. Also, with smaller wheels and less mass put into the frame and suspension design, I find they tend to go out of alignment easier. It's just less of a car and so easier to be affected by running over a curb or taking a speed bump too fast, etc. On the other hand, your Camry is heavier, more stable, better built, but you suffer almost no ill effects from it. Gas mileage is comparable, maintenance costs are similar. I think it's worth it. Whether you go Honda or Toyota is not relevant, but size of car is in other words. You get what you pay for in this case.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:06 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:25 pm
RootSki wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 pm

That’s the one I’d get.
I can't figure much use for a 360 camera. I do like a backup camera with dynamic lines for backing into spots, but the 360 does nothing for me.
If the car has low ground clearance, which a lot of sports sedans do, it is useful for avoiding front bumper scratches from parking blocks. If there are no parking sensors, it can be useful during parallel parking in a tight spot.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:15 am

^^^
Useful advice. Also, note that on the new Corollas, some models may not have a backup camera, but they do have the "beep" method of telling you that you are about to hit something. A 360 degree beep ability would be nearly as good as a 360 degree camera, I would imagine, if such a thing exists, and it would probably be cheaper to implement.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:25 am

Dude2 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:15 am
^^^
Useful advice. Also, note that on the new Corollas, some models may not have a backup camera, but they do have the "beep" method of telling you that you are about to hit something. A 360 degree beep ability would be nearly as good as a 360 degree camera, I would imagine, if such a thing exists, and it would probably be cheaper to implement.
Beginning May 2018, all new automobiles sold in the US are required to have a backup camera.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_camera#Mandates
Sensors in the back are usually in addition to the backup camera.

Of course, the aids are of no help when an older car backs into you, ignoring your honking, even though they may be beeping away!! (Happened to me.)

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:29 am

anoop wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:25 am
Dude2 wrote:
^^^
Beginning May 2018, all new automobiles sold in the US are required to have a backup camera.

They are of no help when an older car backs into you, ignoring your honking!! (Happened to me.)
Thanks anoop, I'm out of the US these days, renting Toyotas that do not have them. I'm out of the loop then. I hope that this trend continues to add these very helpful safety features. USA, USA!

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:11 am

Dude2 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:29 am
anoop wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:25 am
Dude2 wrote:
^^^

They are of no help when an older car backs into you, ignoring your honking!! (Happened to me.)
Thanks anoop, I'm out of the US these days, renting Toyotas that do not have them. I'm out of the loop then. I hope that this trend continues to add these very helpful safety features. USA, USA!
Yes. It is. Collision avoidance and lane departure warning will soon be standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision ... nce_system

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:36 am

I believe the law now states that every new car has to have a back up camera.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:35 am

Barkingsparrow wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:43 am
Currently I have a 2012 Camry, 2009 Civic, and a 2004 Civic which my daughter drives. The 2004 has been a great car with minimal issues but it is
showing its age, electronic door locks stopped working, small leaks, funny squeals, etc. That said, the engine still runs fine. I'd like to dump it, give my daughter the 2009 Civic, and buy a new car for me; as I don't want to push our luck on the 2004.

The cars that I have my eye on is either the 2020 Toyota LE or a Honda Civic; but from the reviews it appears that the Corolla has better predicted reliability.

Any Boglehead owners of either car? I plan to buy by the end of the year, but I don't think waiting on the Corolla will matter because the new 2021 is not out until next June.
Toyota is by far the best choice. It really is not close. Best of luck.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:56 am

If you are inclined to go for something bigger a Camry may not be all that much more than a Corolla. I think Camrys are being pretty heavily discounted. Not sure if the same is true for a Corolla.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:28 am

I have a 2016 Civic LX after owning a 2004 Civic EX ( my college kid's car now) and a 2007 CR-V (wife's car).
One major issue to look out for. A/C started having issues about a year after I bought it. Then winter rolled around and I forgot about it. The next summer, shortly before the warranty was to expire, I brought it in again and major work was required - seems to be an issue with that model year, unfortunately, as it shows up on many of the Honda boards. Other than that, I like it - it's my daily driver. I'm in my late 50's and I just can't get worked up about cars the way I used to - I guess my mid-life crisis got delayed for some reason. :D

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 am

Corollas have a reputation of being rock solid cars that will last the long run.
VTWAX and chill.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 am

lostdog wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 am
Corollas have a reputation of being rock solid cars that will last the long run.
Some humor about Corolla’s reliability
https://jalopnik.com/the-story-behind-o ... 1825571462

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:37 am

anoop wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 am
lostdog wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 am
Some humor about Corolla’s reliability
https://jalopnik.com/the-story-behind-o ... 1825571462
LMAO. I remember this. Hilarious.
VTWAX and chill.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:45 am

Trader Joe wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:35 am
Barkingsparrow wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:43 am

Toyota is by far the best choice. It really is not close. Best of luck.
Except that Toyota loses nearly every automotive comparison with their competitors. The next generation corolla is already being criticized as being behind the civic and Mazda 3 in driving dynamics, performance, style, ergonomics, and refinement. It’s a decent enough car, it’s just not quite as good as it’s competitors.

If it were me and all I cared about was having something reliable, cheap and comfortable, the corolla would certainly be fine, but I’d probably go with the Honda Insight for the more refined design and nicer interior with much better fuel mileage. The Prius is too ugly and doesn’t drive well. The civic and the Mazda 3 would be my choice over the corolla if I didn’t want a hybrid.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 am

A couple of additional things

This guy's reviews are pretty thorough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSNgjBMghE0

A lot of recent Hondas have had an "oil dilution" problem. I don't know if there is a fix yet.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:25 am

Test drive both, do it twice if you need to. It's much more informative than someone else's opinion.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:36 am

the data from Consumer Reports suggests that Toyota is more reliable overall that Honda.

that has also been my experience as an owner of 2 Hondas in the past and 2 Toyotas now.
Focus on what you can control

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:41 am

epictetus wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:36 am
the data from Consumer Reports suggests that Toyota is more reliable overall that Honda..
Keeping in mind that they are both reliable enough that we’re counting angels on the head of a pin to find the difference.

Personally, in this class, I would get a year or two old Mazda 3.

Topic Author
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:26 pm

1. I like Consumer Reports for a starting point for reviews. They have yet to thoroughly review the 2020 Corollas, and so they have not published their "sweet spot" for purchase recommendations. So I expanded the search to add the Camry. BTW, the Camry I have is a 2009, not 2011 as I have stated. So I have two cars @ 10 years, and one @ 15 years; each with over 100,000 miles. Paid cash for all and I believe I've gotten my money out of them.

2. I contacted our insurance company. A Camry LE would be $211 additional/year for same coverage as my current Honda, while the 2020 Corolla would be $257 more.

3. I cannot get thrilled about Honda. Maybe because I've owned 2 for so long and just want to change it up and maybe because the whole oil dilution thing has generated some degree of distrust in Honda.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:14 pm

epictetus wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:36 am
the data from Consumer Reports suggests that Toyota is more reliable overall that Honda.

that has also been my experience as an owner of 2 Hondas in the past and 2 Toyotas now.
My old '99 Corolla was going strong over 310,000 miles with everything original (water pump, radiator, fuel pump, alternator, starter,,,, ), but I had to get rid of it because it failed the California emission test. Toyotas are overly for reliability at the cost of being boring and behind other car manufactures in new stuffs.