bike for 79 year old man

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sarahjane

bike for 79 year old man

Post by sarahjane » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:45 am

I fell off my bike recently getting off, and generally am having trouble mounting/dismounting.

Don't want a trike. Want hand brakes max 7 speeds.

Anyone have personal experience with brand/model?

I am male despite screen name.

ResearchMed

Re: bike for 79 year old man

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am

sarahjane wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:45 am
I fell off my bike recently getting off, and generally am having trouble mounting/dismounting.

A woman's bike, so you don't have that high bar across the top to deal with?
Or are there unisex versions these days?
(I haven't been on a bike in decades, so my info/experience is way out of date.)
Or perhaps a bike with slightly smaller wheels (and thicker/wider ones)?

But I don't think the smaller/thicker wheels would come with the extra gears, etc.
Have you contacted a serious bicycle store for suggestions?

And don't forget a GOOD helmet, please.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dewey

Post by dewey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:54 am

A step through bike (i.e. woman's model) is what I have for the same reason. Mine is an e-bike for those occasions when the long steep hill is more than my heart rate should confront.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:00 pm

What is your budget?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... egory=6472

Brompton H6L, I think you will like the green color. :wink:

High handlebar, low step over, great ride, 6 speeds, nimble, easy turns, fold and put in your trunk. Use the front carrier block for hauling stuff (basket bag or S/T bag).

Durable, amazing design. Not cheap. You are paying for engineering and hand made quality. You get what you pay for. :moneybag
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 pm

OP,

https://usa.dahon.com/bikes/mariner-d8-2/

Not sure whether this is what you are looking for. A light folding bike might be a good alternative.

In some places, you can get one for half the price off the craig list.

KlangFool

fogalog

Post by fogalog » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:03 pm

I have an Electra Townie for around town riding, grocery shopping, etc. (I also have a "road" bike for longer rides). I love it. It has an aluminium step-through design frame, so it is lightweight, and 7-speed cassette on the back.

https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie

Good luck!

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Go to a real bicycle shop to test out and be fitted for a bike suited for you.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:11 pm

also suggest one of the "folding" bikes.

Several biking friends in their 70s have "Bike Friday" models - https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/bike-models.
They love them. I see DW and I getting these when we "out grow" our current touring bikes. :happy

alexander29

Post by alexander29 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Step-through electric with hydraulic hand brakes and lights for visibility. It will still provide plenty of exercise.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Woman's bike. Those bars across the men's bikes are a real problem. I guess they are supposed to stabilize the bike, but they are quite awkward, I think anyway.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Many years ago I found that I couldn't keep my balance on a bike, plus my hands kept going to sleep so I bought a recumbent.
They can be pricey, but are a lot of fun to ride.
FWIW, I have an older Catrike Pocket https://www.catrike.com/pocket

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:18 pm

fogalog wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:03 pm
I have an Electra Townie for around town riding, grocery shopping, etc. (I also have a "road" bike for longer rides). I love it. It has an aluminium step-through design frame, so it is lightweight, and 7-speed cassette on the back.

Good luck!
They always show the saddle so low on those things. You can't ride like that with long legs, it's hell on the knees. Could a tall person really take advantage of the flat-foot design?

The saddle on my road bike is way up there.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:19 pm

This "low step" bike comes in different frame sizes to suit your height. There are several models to choose from.
Biria Low Step Easy Boarding
https://www.bikemania.biz/bicycles/low- ... board.html
You could probably have it delivered to a local bike shop for assembly.

fogalog

Post by fogalog » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:51 am

montanagirl wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:18 pm
fogalog wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:03 pm

Good luck!
They always show the saddle so low on those things. You can't ride like that with long legs, it's hell on the knees. Could a tall person really take advantage of the flat-foot design?

The saddle on my road bike is way up there.
Yes, Electra promotes something called "flat foot" technology. I don't know if there is a height limit (I'm 5'11") but I can tell you the bike is perfectly comfortable for riding around town, errands, etc. That said, I wouldn't climb any serious hills on it - I have a road bike for more serious rides.

Good luck!

Godot

Post by Godot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:56 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:00 pm
What is your budget?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... egory=6472

Brompton H6L, I think you will like the green color. :wink:

High handlebar, low step over, great ride, 6 speeds, nimble, easy turns, fold and put in your trunk. Use the front carrier block for hauling stuff (basket bag or S/T bag).

Durable, amazing design. Not cheap. You are paying for engineering and hand made quality. You get what you pay for. :moneybag
+1
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:28 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 pm
Woman's bike. Those bars across the men's bikes are a real problem. I guess they are supposed to stabilize the bike, but they are quite awkward, I think anyway.
I believe people are moving away from the term "women's bike" for step-throughs (because, obviously, all genders may ride them) but yeah, that sort of frame sounds like it would be the ticket.

Couple that with electric-assist, and you've got a real winner for someone in the OP's situation.

This particular model ain't cheap, but I've test-driven one and it is an amazing ride: https://www.faradaybikes.com/product/cortland/
Stay on target...

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:12 am

Personally, I would encourage you to revisit three-wheelers. There are recumbent and traditional models that will last you through the next stage of life.
Short of that I would look for a comfort bike that allowed for wide tires. Big wide tires will help prevent other types of falls and produce a comfy ride. You are likely to end up with more gears than you want due to market forces but you don't have to use them. The Raleigh Detour StepThru looks like a decent bike if you are willing to spend $350 and it is only 7 speeds. That might be more than you need but fits your criteria and is not a junk bike
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:18 am

I’m 50 and prefer a high handlebar so I don’t bend my back. I had trouble finding models like that until I searched on “commuter” bikes.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:58 am

A step through frame or mixte will probably make it easier to mount/dismount. Try one out at your local shop.

Consider a bike with hub gears (no rear derailleur). That should give you 7 or so usable gears and you can shift at a stop.

Electric bikes are the rage now. They will cost a penny but could extend your riding and possibly be more enjoyable to ride. In my area, a shop opened up that sells electric exclusively.

Several folding bikes have been recommended. Not a fan unless one seeks foldability to begin with. You will also pay more for one compared to similar features on a conventional bike.

Learn about “crank forward” bikes like the Electra. By placing the cranks further forward than a conventional bike, the rider can comfortably get both feet on the pavement while having the saddle adjusted to proper pedaling length. This is not possible on a conventional upright bike. The downside is that’s it’s near impossible to stand on the pedals (get out of saddle) when climbing and climbing hills in general, is not as easy. These bikes are usually better for flat areas and recreational riding.

The above assumes a trike is off the board (as you’ve stated). In fact, that can be a good—or sometimes the best option—for balance and mount/dismount issues. Trikes also offer a huge balance advantage when climbing because you can go as slow as you’d like without having to maintain balance. A trike with electric assist can be a good long distance tourer option for someone your age (assuming you have an interest). Downsides are cost, portability (but there were some folding models last I checked) and can be challenging if you ride on narrow roads with cars.

GJ48

Post by GJ48 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:05 am

sarahjane wrote:
….Anyone have personal experience with brand/model?
A high-quality indoor bike will let you get a safe workout in the year-round. I have a Diamondback 510 Sr. It has five different workout categories and intensity variations within each one: heart rate, strength, hill climb, interval and fat burn.

https://www.diamondbackfitness.com/

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:24 am

Sounds like it's time to think about buying a "comfort", "flat-foot", "crank forward" or "semi-recumbent" bike. Why? They are easy to mount/dismount/stop because your feet remain flat on the ground when not riding.

A step-through frame might also help.

Can add a drum brake front hub for easy maintenance, to complement your geared rear hub.

+1 Electra Townie. Liked it on a test ride. Comfort upright riding position, legs fully extended when riding, feet flat on ground at stops.

-1 Bike Friday. It was okay on a test ride, but the frame didn't seem to be stiff enough, thought I could feel it wobble.

Disclosure. I'm 70 and wanted a new bike. Can't test-ride a bike for months before buying. Didn't want to waste money buying a bike that didn't exactly fit. What to do?

So I built my old mountain bike ('80s BCA Rocky SiS) into a rolling laboratory to test comfort geometries (alignment of handlebars-crank-seat) before buying my next bike. Added:
--Stem riser. (Handlebar: additional 4" of height.)
--Adjustable stem. (Handlebar: additional 4" of front travel, 4" of rear travel.)
--Built adjustable setback seat post from DOM tubing. (Used to build race car frames. Seat: additional 10" up, 8" back.)

I tweaked bike---placement of seat and handlebars, relative to crank---and rode it for two years and decided I wanted a "comfort" bike (feet on the ground at stops). I knew the geometry was correct for me when I didn't tweak it further during the second year of riding.

(Edit) My preferred riding position has my back upright (not bent over), my arms parallel to each other and the ground (higher/closer handlebars), legs fully extended when riding (crank forward), and feet touching the ground when stopped (lower seat). On longer rides I do stop for rests. But when I get back on the bike, I would not want any other geometry.

(Edit) But how can I tell by looking at a bike (CL find or in LBS) if it matches my preferred geometry (placement of seat-crank-handlebars) so will be comfortable to own/ride for the long term?

I made a small cardboard triangle template (from cereal box) that I carried in my wallet. At arm's length and ~10' from bike, the triangle points visually aligned with seat-crank-handlebars positions of my preferred geometry. Any bike that had those parts aligned* to my preferred geometry was a candidate to buy. (* Or could be adapted to align.)

I couldn't afford a RANS Dynamik (~$3K): http://www.google.com/search?q=RANS+Dynamik&tbm=isch
(Edit) Notice lower seat, crank forward, and higher handlebars.

The Electra Townie was acceptable (~$500): http://www.google.com/search?q=Electra+Townie&tbm=isch
(Edit) Notice lower seat, crank forward, and higher handlebars.

But how low can you go? Eventually found a "K2 Big Easy Deuce" on CL and adapted it by adding a stem riser (handlebars +4"), and turning handlebar stem backward (-6"). Cost was $100 + $50 to LBS for pieces parts: http://www.google.com/search?q=K2+Big+E ... e&tbm=isch

Old bikes don't have to die, they can be repurposed. Sold my laboratory bike to someone else on CL wanting to do the same experimenting before buying their next bike.
Last edited by dratkinson on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:15 am

sarahjane wrote:

You've got options. While you said you don't want a trike, I assume you are referring to the type of upright trikes that are popular in retirement villages. Still, you may want to consider a recumbent trike, with hand brakes, and some even with electric motors.
https://www.catrike.com/
https://www.icetrikes.co/

Just for fun, you may want to watch this YouTube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQhugLNh3I

I considered one of these after a back injury, and still may get one in the future.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 am

ccieemeritus wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:18 am
I’m 50 and prefer a high handlebar so I don’t bend my back. I had trouble finding models like that until I searched on “commuter” bikes.
Bent down handlebars are an invention of the devil, in my opinion.

Point

Post by Point » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:27 pm

I’d look at a step through with battery assist. Love mine!

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/ ... -step-thru

alfonsejr

Post by alfonsejr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:08 pm

sarahjane wrote:

If you like your current bike except for difficulty mounting/dismounting, you might try laying your bike on its side, then stand over it and pick it up so your straddling it, and you're ready to ride. Do the same when dismounting; stop, stand straddling the bike with both feet on the ground, lay bike on its side and step off.

I hope that makes sense; I do the same thing with my tandem bike, and sometimes with my other bikes, and I'm more than 20 years younger than 79...

Topic Author
sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks alfonsejr. I'll try that!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:49 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 am
Bent down handlebars are an invention of the devil, in my opinion.
But they save your vertebrae from direct pounding to a pulp.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.