Does this car exist? Sexy convertible with a backseat

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Does this car exist? Sexy convertible with a backseat

Post by SRenaeP »

I'm hoping the car enthusiasts will weigh in here. My current daily driver is a 2004 Z4 convertible with a manual transmission. I love the styling and I love the way it drives. I'm in the market for a new(er) car. I'd originally considered just buying a newer Z4. However, I now have a young nephew so I want a car with a backseat (that can fit a car seat and later booster seat).

My perfect car would be a Z4 with a backseat but I'm not a magician. LOL. Any recommendations? Must haves are look cool, go fast, convertible and backseat. Highly preferred is a true manual transmission. I don't have a particular price in mind I'm not willing to pay $70k either. Depending on the price point, I'll probably buy something 1-3 years old. Thanks in advance.
Thesaints

Re: Does this car exist? Sexy convertible with a backseat

Post by Thesaints »

Is it a hard, or soft top Z4 ?

You could get a 2-series convertible, or a 1-series convertible if you are lucky enough to find it used. They are both soft top and can be found in the 3-pedal style.
Both look a little chunkier than a Z4, but handle like a true small car. If you are looking for a slimmer line, there is the 4-series convertible and that one has a hard top. I drove the 2-liter version automatic transmission and was underwhelmed. In eco mode it feels like driving a truck. I'd look for a larger engine and manuals are harder to come by.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Not a car guy, not in same class, how bout a mustang or Camero?
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

“Looks cool” is subjective, but what about a Mercedes E class convertible?
flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy »

Check out the Lexus IS convertible, I ended up with IS 350C. It has enough space, usable back seat and will fit our inflatable paddleboards/luggage/picnic stuff. I might install a hitch for our bike racks. My previous vert was a bmw m3 (e49) manual more than a decade ago and sold it a long time ago too. It was fast, handled well, stiff but now I'm older I'm loving this lexus. And I think the durability/quality will be great, ride is not stiff and my wife likes how it drives/rides too. I don't have time to tinker with a car anymore, or maybe I don't want to do it anymore and I expect to just do regular maintenance + convertible top maintenance throughout the years. M2, M4 vert or the Audis might be good but I just thought WWSKD (What Would Scotty Kilmer Do?) in deciding for a convertible sedan... Good Luck!
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Jaguar XK? Very pretty car in my opinion.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

Cadillac CTS V.
All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move. -Benjamin Franklin
k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t »

Chrysler Sebring :twisted:
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Jeep Wrangler.....
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Find a mint 80s Chrysler K-Car convertible. White with the wood grain side panels. RIP Lee.

There..she..is..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Chrysler- ... Sw3A9dDY24
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

Porsche 911 has small back seats. I used a booster in mine when my daughter was little.
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:57 pm Is it a hard, or soft top Z4 ?

You could get a 2-series convertible, or a 1-series convertible if you are lucky enough to find it used. They are both soft top and can be found in the 3-pedal style.
Both look a little chunkier than a Z4, but handle like a true small car. If you are looking for a slimmer line, there is the 4-series convertible and that one has a hard top. I drove the 2-liter version automatic transmission and was underwhelmed. In eco mode it feels like driving a truck. I'd look for a larger engine and manuals are harder to come by.
Soft top. None of the other BMWs are that eye-catching to me. Well the i8 is but it's expensive and only a two-seater.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:24 pm Porsche 911 has small back seats. I used a booster in mine when my daughter was little.
996 Turbo would be a killer ride for $30-$35K I imagine.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Buick Cascada. Has the back seat. Probably doesn't check the other boxes.
Friar1610
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Maserati Gran Turismo convertible. Then have a manual swap done. It has been done. Found lots with little looking.
NYCguy

Post by NYCguy »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:59 pm
ChinchillaWhiplash wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:24 pm Porsche 911 has small back seats. I used a booster in mine when my daughter was little.
996 Turbo would be a killer ride for $30-$35K I imagine.
+1
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Murano CrossCabriolet.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Might be old school, but this car is damn sexy:

But not too sporty. But c'mon, your nephew will think you are the coolest person in the world.
Don't do something, just stand there!
btenny

Post by btenny »

The Mercedes E class is a great 4 seat convertible. The older ones are E350 and E550. The newer ones are E400 and E450. All are good looking nice driving cars with room for four adults via a real back seat. Price is $28k or less for 6 year old and up from there to $60k for new. Older ones need airbag repair.

Good luck.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

As someone else mentioned, look at a Mustang.

The back seats are barely tolerable for large adults, but perfect for child seats and young children.

And they come in many price and performance ranges.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Second the mustang.

It also has the advantage of readily available parts and in the V6 configuration is not monstrously expensive to insure, at least for this middle age male with a good driving record.

My co-workers experience with Porsches is that they are horrendously expensive to maintain and insure.

In my experience, the price of parts and repairs is directly proportional to the retail price of the car. So if you buy a $70k car, even basic maintenence like brakes and tires will cost more. More expensive cars also cost more to insure. Regardless of what you paid for it, the parts for a $70k car will always be parts for an expensive car, no matter how much it has depreciated.

I understand GM is killing the Camaro, so examples of those might be had soon for a good price. Of course, depreciation would be disastrous, so it would have to be a long term purchase.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Let's be serious. The OP stated he likes to drive manual and is not thrilled by the looks of 1, 2 and 4 series (but likes the pre-restyling Z4).
How can someone suggest him the likes of cadillacs, camaros, or mustangs ?
Bogle7

Sexy convertible with a backseat

Post by Bogle7 »

Bentley Continental GT Convertible
Last edited by Bogle7 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Thesaints wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:35 am Let's be serious. The OP stated he likes to drive manual and is not thrilled by the looks of 1, 2 and 4 series (but likes the pre-restyling Z4).
Because we are projecting our dream convertible upon the OP. And it's a Lincoln. :D
chevca

Post by chevca »

bhsince87 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 pm As someone else mentioned, look at a Mustang.

The back seats are barely tolerable for large adults, but perfect for child seats and young children.

And they come in many price and performance ranges.
Perfect? Uh, no. Unless you consider needing to slam the front seat all the way foward to make the back seat usable. The Mustang and Camaro don't have usable back seats. Plus, I don't think they're the OPs style.

OP, you want...
1. Cool car
2. Convertible
3. Usable back seat

This is kind of one of those you can have 2 of the 3, but not all 3 deals. :happy
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Thesaints wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:35 am Let's be serious. The OP stated he likes to drive manual and is not thrilled by the looks of 1, 2 and 4 series (but likes the pre-restyling Z4).
In what way does a Camaro or Mustang resemble the BMW 1, 2 or 4 series? It’s an option which is about the best you can expect when you post “what car should I buy” on an internet forum.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Audi A5/S5 is the best looking in this class by a mile IMO. MB E Class has the most comfortable backseat. Neither available with a manual--S5 had one through MY2016, but is exceedingly rare. As others suggested, I would look seriously at the Mustang/Camaro convertibles. Big NA V8 plus a 6-speed manual for a reasonable price. Back seat isn't great, but is at least marginally usable, especially if the front-seat occupants aren't super tall.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:33 am Audi A5/S5 is the best looking in this class by a mile IMO. MB E Class has the most comfortable backseat. Neither available with a manual--S5 had one through MY2016, but is exceedingly rare. As others suggested, I would look seriously at the Mustang/Camaro convertibles. Big NA V8 plus a 6-speed manual for a reasonable price. Back seat isn't great, but is at least marginally usable, especially if the front-seat occupants aren't super tall.
Agreed on the Mustang being a contender, especially with this goal.....
"However, I now have a young nephew so I want a car with a backseat (that can fit a car seat and later booster seat)."
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I had both of my kids (one at a time, of course) in my Shelby Cobra replica. Since there were no air bags, being in the front seat was no problem. Guys at car shows always knew it was my car because of the booster seat.

So I'll say to find an existing, finished Factory Five Cobra (Roadster). Very easy to find under $30k (I sold mine for $20k).
chevca

Post by chevca »

Shelby's are awesome. But, I doubt that one would pass the test for the parents of the nephew. :happy
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

mhalley wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:12 pm Not a car guy, not in same class, how bout a mustang or Camero?
Hmm. I just checked them both out and the Camaro looks appealing. However, a preliminary Google search seems to indicate it's pretty hard to get a rear-facing car seat in there. I'm not crossing it off the list just yet though. :happy
chevca

Post by chevca »

Even forward facing kid seats, you need to put the front seat all the way forward. So, unless it's just going to be you in the driver's seat and no other adult up front...

You can cross the Mustang and Camaro off your list if you want a back seat that's usable for your plans.
chevca

Post by chevca »

How much time do you plan to spend driving around your nephew? Is this really something you should base your car purchase decision on? I mean, if it was your kid and you would be driving them around all the time.... but, a nephew...
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

chevca wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:15 am Even forward facing kid seats, you need to put the front seat all the way forward. So, unless it's just going to be you in the driver's seat and no other adult up front...

You can cross the Mustang and Camaro off your list if you want a back seat that's usable for your plans.
The previous generation of the Camaro (2010-2015) had a much more useable back seat than the current generation which is considerably smaller.
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

LOL. Thank you. The Camaro is slightly more appealing than the others but I was loathe to respond and seem like a jerk. Not to mention all the recommendations for six figure cars. Also, I'm a she. :D

I forgot to mention a two door is highly preferred as well. DH thinks what I want doesn't exist but since I'm in no rush, I have plenty of time to consider my options.
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

chevca wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:20 am How much time do you plan to spend driving around your nephew? Is this really something you should base your car purchase decision on? I mean, if it was your kid and you would be driving them around all the time.... but, a nephew...
That's why I'm okay with a barely usable backseat. I am childfree but plan to be pretty involved with him (and any future siblings). Right now, I wouldn't feel at all comfortable with putting him in my car. In the near term, I could try to swap vehicles with DH when needed but I'd rather not depend on doing that forever.
John Doe 123

Post by John Doe 123 »

Check out the Volkswagen EOS.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

SRenaeP wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 pm
LOL. Thank you. The Camaro is slightly more appealing than the others but I was loathe to respond and seem like a jerk. Not to mention all the recommendations for six figure cars. Also, I'm a she. :D

I forgot to mention a two door is highly preferred as well. DH thinks what I want doesn't exist but since I'm in no rush, I have plenty of time to consider my options.
You would look SOOOOOOO cool in that '69 Lincoln. Suicide doors are way cooler than Lambo doors. It can be had in a coupe as well 8-) :D :sharebeer
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

The BMW 440 ‘vert will surprise you, and if its not enough there’s always the M. I’m getting of the age where a car that is always in “hunt & kill” mode can be tiresome. So, MB E Class could be worth a look, I personally prefer their interiors. If you want something fast, look at the AMG C63 cabriolet. The C class is a nice car.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Camarillo and mustang are reasonably priced. This IS a bogleheads forum. :happy
MA405

Post by MA405 »

Not mentioned yet: Infiniti Q60 IPL convertible. Although they’ve been discontinued and would have to be 4-5 years old. Were available with manual transmission.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

The Audi A5/S5 will fit the car seats in the back and is a great ride. I've really enjoyed it since getting one at the beginning of the year.
Has paddle shifters, but not available as a true manual.
bradpevans

Post by bradpevans »

SRenaeP wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 pm

The camaro has a very high horsepower to cost ratio on for what that’s worth.

You might try kbb or some other auto trader site and see if you can select convertible, 2 door and have a look
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

A mustang gt convertible or a bmw 5 series convertible (if those still exist).
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Surely people have wildly different ideas of "sexy"... :)
Winston19

Post by Winston19 »

I think a jeep wrangler soft top is your answer :)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:49 pm A mustang gt convertible or a bmw 5 series convertible (if those still exist).
It would be a 6-series. 5-series are sedan/wagon, 6-series are coupe/convertible. 2016 was the last model year, though I imagine it'll be back at some point. Right now the only large convertible in the BMW stable is the 8-series, which has an eye-watering starting price of $121,400. Tick every option on the sheet and you're just a few bucks under $150k.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

The first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title was an Austin Healey 3000 (or 100/6). But even if you added a seatbelt for holding a child seat, I suppose the safety commandos would have your head before you got out of the driveway... More realistically, if you were willing to go back 5 or 6 years, you could look at a Volvo C70 or Jaguar XK. Fairly nice looking cars, probably depreciated a fair bit by now and you might find some with low miles as they don't tend to be daily drivers. Modern child seats are pretty oversize, so you still might not be able to fit one in the back though.
ohai

Post by ohai »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 am
whodidntante wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:49 pm A mustang gt convertible or a bmw 5 series convertible (if those still exist).
It would be a 6-series. 5-series are sedan/wagon, 6-series are coupe/convertible. 2016 was the last model year, though I imagine it'll be back at some point. Right now the only large convertible in the BMW stable is the 8-series, which has an eye-watering starting price of $121,400. Tick every option on the sheet and you're just a few bucks under $150k.
8 Series is basically the 6 Series replacement. They made the number higher so they can charge more...
btenny

Post by btenny »

OP. You really need to go look at and drive the MB E350. It is a really cool car with a ton of features and nice driving. It has a big backseat. It has a big trunk. It has good suspension and rides nice and is quiet with the top up. It comes in a ton of exterior and interior colors. There are lots of nice used E350 cars around all over the US for good prices. We actively shopped for this E350 convertible last year. We found that the E350 is the best nice convertible on the market. The standard E350 model has a 3.5L V6. It gets pretty good MPG. The E550 is the same car but with a V8 and a lot more horse power. I bought a used 2012 E350 last year and then the dealer found he could not deliver as the title was messed up. I may buy another. My wife really likes that car. She said it feels good and secure. But she wants a particular color combination and not many of them are available.

We test drove a rental Mustang for a week in Arizona. It was OK but very rough driving and noisy and the interior was very basic. The back seat was small and the trunk was OK but small. It was easy to get in an out of. I suspect the higher model Mustang is a much nicer car. We never drove a GT model.

We then rented a Camero for a week in Florida. That car is really bad. It has no backseat and no trunk if the top is down. We had to put all our stuff in the back seat when we put the top down. Plus we found the car very hard to get in and out of the car. But yes it drives OK and sets OK after you get in the car. And yes it looks cool.

We test drove about a 4-5 different BMW series convertibles. None of them had nice back seats. All were small and unusable. We did not test drive any of the Audis as my wife did not like the looks of those cars.

https://www.google.com/search?q=e350+ca ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes- ... ass_(C207)

Good Luck.