Replacing broken glass on outdoor light lantern

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
steadyhand

Replacing broken glass on outdoor light lantern

Post by steadyhand » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:21 pm

I have two huge outdoor light lanterns on my porch on small posts over stone pillars. During a recent hail storm a lot of glass broke on one of them and fell out in many pieces. The other one is fine.

I cannot find any manufacturer name on these lanterns to find a replacement. They are in fine order otherwise and new ones of the same size seem to be $100 each or more. I hate to replace them just because one has broken glass.

Are there typically business who can create custom glass for one lantern? They just need to create 3-4 panels I suppose. Would this be something you would pursue or just go and replace the entire assembly. I could not find any glass manufacturers for such applications with a cursory google search in the area with keywords “custom glass”. Any other leads?

Thanks.

HomeStretch

Re: Replacing broken glass on outdoor light lantern

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:35 pm

Have you called a local lighting shop to see if they can recommend anyone to replace the glass?

A local shop gave me a referral when I needed a fixture rewired.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 pm

What kind of glass is it?

If it's just plain pane glass (not textured or colored), a local hardware store could probably cut pieces for you.

rad597

Post by rad597 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 pm

If you can remove an adjacent comparable sized piece of glass and take it to a glass shop they can measure it and cut a piece for you. My gas lanterns have small tabs holding the piece in place.

Topic Author
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:29 pm

It is plain glass nothing special. Hoping after someone makes such panels I can have them stay in place. Will try these suggestions thanks!

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:27 am

Can you remove the lantern/fixture easily?

If so you might schlep it around to a couple of glass places and get an estimate.

If you have to have someone come to your home, I would expect it to cost more.

Try "window glass repair" in your search.

We have a glass company about two miles away that fabricates glass shower enclosures, replaces broken window/door glass, installs glass tops on furniture... the services goes on.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:47 am

Flat glass or curved? Clear or tinted in some way?? Makes a big difference.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 am

If it's plain (non tempered) flat glass cutting it is quite easy and sort of fun.
These little tools are cheap and work well

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-in- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Topic Author
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Through a local light fixture store found a glass shop. Unfortunately they only do flat glass; mine is a dome shaped and thus has curves. Trying to find the manufacturer and buying replacement glass from them may be easier.

Bogle7

Replacing outdoor light lantern

Post by Bogle7 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:29 am

steadyhand wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm
buying replacement glass from them may be easier.
Easier will buying a new complete light lantern.

RudyS

Re: Replacing outdoor light lantern

Post by RudyS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:29 am
steadyhand wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm
buying replacement glass from them may be easier.
Easier will buying a new complete light lantern.
try ebay

Topic Author
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Just got two new lanterns and entire assembly. Cost about $230 in all but everything is back to normal. Wish lantern makers were more easily identifiable for future replacements. Thanks all.

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Even if you knew the manufacturer, getting parts for an old lantern is unlikely.

When i was remodeling my house, a few glass panels on new lights arrived broken. Under warranty, they shipped me complete replacement lights rather than just the broken parts and told me i could keep or trash the broken ones.

I don't think parts are stocked for many lights.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:55 am

BuddyJet wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:29 pm
Even if you knew the manufacturer, getting parts for an old lantern is unlikely.

When i was remodeling my house, a few glass panels on new lights arrived broken. Under warranty, they shipped me complete replacement lights rather than just the broken parts and told me i could keep or trash the broken ones.

I don't think parts are stocked for many lights.
I've had the same experience----and I suspect the "no parts" situation is further exacerbated by the fact that so very many manufactured items are sourced from Asia and the Far East.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 am

A dw years ago, I needed some replacement window panes and also some small glass panels for an outside lantern. I was able to find a mom-n-pop shop of glass cutters who did it for, basically, pennies. This was much easier than going back to a manufacturer, and probably cheaper too. Good luck!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso