What do you do if you get in an accident?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

What do you do if you get in an accident?

Post by squirm » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:46 pm

The back of my insurance says exchange contact info, get year of car, plate, model etc. But nothing says about getting their drivers license or address. It's been a 20 years since I was in one, not to jinx myself...and at that time, nobody had a camera or video records like today. what's the proper procedure?

dm200

Re: What do you do if you get in an accident?

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:51 pm

squirm wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:46 pm
The back of my insurance says exchange contact info, get year of car, plate, model etc. But nothing says about getting their drivers license or address. It's been a 20 years since I was in one, not to jinx myself...and at that time, nobody had a camera or video records like today. what's the proper procedure?
Yes - I would ask for this information as well.

many years for me or my wife as well. I hope that continues.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Should you necessarily call the police? And what about calling your insurance company?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Last time my son was crashed into, I was a block away. I came and took a picture of the crasher's license, registration and license plate. In my state, insurance is listed on the registration (no separate insurance card). If your state has insurance cards, get a picture of that.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:55 pm

I would pull out my cell phone and start taking photos if I was able.

I haven't been in an accident.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Call the police so an accident report can be filed. Taking some pictures or video before the cars are moved might be helpful too.

evblazer

Post by evblazer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:13 pm

A couple years ago I was rear ended while stopped at a light by the person who was stopped behind me at the light. The light had turned green but there were 10 cars in front of me that hadn't moved yet.
Exchanged information, got their contact info and insurance info and a few photos even had them sign a document with the date that they were at fault.

Unfortunately they were on a month to month insurance and the company said she submitted pictures with a day a week earlier when they weren't her carrier. Of course she was in the wind never to be heard from again. At that point it was contact my insurance company which I didn't bother doing because there wasn't much damage and the small dent was a nice reminder for the future.

So personally I'd try to get a police report and if anyone offers their information as a witness take it! Pictures or video are great. I've heard the police may not come out if it was on private property or no one was hurt so pictures or video of the scene, damage and both vehicles maybe even the person who hit you in case they claim it wasn't them maybe with a copy of today's paper in frame :(

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:16 pm

squirm wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:46 pm
Add:
I was advised once by the insurance company and law enforcement to: . . . .
Call 911
Get a police report. Record LEO name and badge number, and report number.
Hopefully, there will be no injuries or worse.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:26 pm

A police report is of little value if the police did not witness the accident. In my community they say to just pull your vehicles out of the way if not disabled and exchange information. If the police are called their report will basically contain the information on documents the drivers present. If there is an injury, if traffic flow is obstructed and cannot be restored, or if a crime was committed, then call police.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

SoonerD

Post by SoonerD » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Since the incident may occur in any community regardless of my knowledge of local police policies I call the police and let them decide if they will or won’t come to the scene. My community has dedicated police personnel who arrive at collisions to create a police report regardless of injury.

I have a police report where it states the visual evidence contradicts the claims of the driver who was at fault. So police can do more than gather data and participant/witness statements.

I understand in some crowded, high-priced regions police are less responsive when no injuries reported. The economies of scale seem to fail in this regard.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:23 pm

In the state I currently live in you must call the police. In the state I previously lived in, the police won't come out unless someone is injured (or maybe if there is some giant amount of damage, but even then I suspect they aren't interested.)

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:44 pm

OP, it sounds as if you may need to specify the State in which you anticipate having an accident.

augustwest73

Post by augustwest73 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Pictures, pictures, pictures. I was just recently in an accident and immediately got out of my car and walked 360 degrees around the crash scene taking pictures. Was totally blocking traffic but didn't care. After I got my pics, I then pulled out of the way.

Long and short of it, the other party admitted they were at fault at the time of the accident but told their insurance company something else. Their insurance found them at fault based on the pictures. In fact, their insurance guy called me and said if it hadn't been for the pictures, it would have been 50/50.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:01 pm

1. Always call police immediately for any car accident - absolutely no exceptions. Identify yourself and your location, give them details and let them decide if they will come on scene. It is critical that you be on record as reporting any accident. Ask for EMS if anyone may be hurt.

2. Use cell phone to take pictures and video of all cars, any damage to cars, and all people (drivers and passengers) involved in the accident. Also take pictures of the scene recording/capturing intersection/road details, traffic signs, time of day, weather, traffic, etc. Take pictures of drivers license,license plates, and insurance info from other drivers. Sadly you can almost count on people lying thru their teeth about details of the accident after the fact. They may even deny they were there.

3. You can find standard free "accident info and to do list" forms on the web. Print the form and keep one in each car glove box along with pencil, working pen, and working flashlight.

4. Everyone should have a decent first aid kit in the car, blankets, as well as emergency roadside reflective hazard signs and/or flares for use at a nighttime/poor visibility accident scene. Check your kit and supplies yearly to insure it is complete, in working order, and well stocked.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:07 pm

augustwest73 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 pm
Pictures, pictures, pictures. I was just recently in an accident and immediately got out of my car and walked 360 degrees around the crash scene taking pictures. Was totally blocking traffic but didn't care. After I got my pics, I then pulled out of the way.

Long and short of it, the other party admitted they were at fault at the time of the accident but told their insurance company something else. Their insurance found them at fault based on the pictures. In fact, their insurance guy called me and said if it hadn't been for the pictures, it would have been 50/50.
Well said. These were my thoughts as I was reading down the thread. Most accidents are fender-benders that do not need emergency response. In fact, police often won't respond to a non-injury accident. Today's Cell Phones are a great documenting device.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:47 pm

And DON’T jump on your cellphone to call mom, dad, hubby, girlfriend, etc. while walking around the scene in traffic.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:13 pm

If there is any possibility at all you could be at fault, I wouldn't call police. I made that mistake. I had to pay both the deductible and a citation. It turned out the guy who cut me off had a son on the police force. If you call the police, they will likely cite one of you. I think I would have had a better chance convincing my insurance company I wasn't at fault than I had that police officer.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:14 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:01 pm
It is critical that you be on record as reporting any accident.
Why?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:07 pm

augustwest73 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 pm
Pictures, pictures, pictures.
Good advice but I'd tweak the wording: DOCUMENTED evidence, evidence, evidence. The law is not about "truth"; it's about what you can PROVE - in the way that insurance company regs/policies/procedures, and legal regs/laws dictate. DOCUMENTED real-time evidence is better than after-the-fact "He said/she said" testimony or other evidence recollected and/or manufactured after-the-fact. Eyewitnesses? Police reports? Good ones will support the pictures.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:06 pm

...and that's why you ought to consider installing a dashcam. $100 and 30min of your time to install it -- seems like cheap insurance to me. (And hiding the wires is actually surprisingly easy: viewtopic.php?t=279617#p4515714 )

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:16 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:14 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:01 pm
It is critical that you be on record as reporting any accident.
Why?
Sounds crazy but you can be accused of virtually anything after the fact by "witnesses" - ranging from not actually being present to fleeing the scene (and other crazy stuff most folks can't imagine) by the other party. Assume the other other party can and will lie about absolutely everything regarding the accident. Your call formally establishes the basic timing and immediate details as a base in case details are later in dispute. The bottom line is call the police for any car accident no matter how minor. Let the police tell you after you provide details if they need to come and assist or not. Do not let anyone else at the scene make that determination, and do not trust anyone else telling you that they already called the police. Be aware that more than a few folks have multiple reasons (warrants, probation, etc.) for not wanting the the police to arrive at an accident scene.

I believe that if the accident may be your fault it is even more important to call the police yourself.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 pm

if you live in a no-fault state you let your insurer manage it. You should check for your state to see how its managed, as different states seem to manage it differently.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:48 am

random_walker_77 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:06 pm
...and that's why you ought to consider installing a dashcam. $100 and 30min of your time to install it -- seems like cheap insurance to me. (And hiding the wires is actually surprisingly easy: viewtopic.php?t=279617#p4515714 )

As long as you are not at-fault, that is a plan. However, if you are at fault, the pictures from the dashcam provide valuable evidence to your adversary.

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 am

If im at fault ill accept responsibility (not before reviewing the facts). What you dont want is your "adversary" or a witness claiming you were texting or some form of foreseeable negligence (required to win huge lawsuits) . So, ill take the dash cams

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:07 am

Lived in DC for 10 years...was involved in 8 accidents (non of which were my fault luckily.) Im pretty much an expert on crashes at this point.

hershey102d

Post by hershey102d » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 am

Many insurance companies require that an accident be reported to them within 48 hours. Unsure why unless failure to do so could hamper their ability to defend a claim. Not saying that all accidents should necessarily be reported but give thought to the consequences of not reporting. If a month passes and the other party claims injury it might get complicated. As a pedestrian I was struck from behind by an elderly driver who said the sun was blinding him. He never reported the accident to his insurance company despite a police report. Boy were they surprised when I called a couple of weeks later and inquired about reimbursement for medical bill copays.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:41 am

1) Check yourself and anyone in your car for injuries.
2) Call 911 and advise details.
3) Secure the memory card from your dash cam.
4) Exit vehicle on check on other parties. Provide first aid as required. Try to photograph their insurance and DL, if they will provide.
5) Photograph or video scene including injuries, vehicles, surrounding area, skid marks, etc.
6) Move vehicles out of roadway
7) Wait for cops in secure location wrt to roadway traffic.
8) Provide statement to cops and get details on the officer's name and if a report will be available.
9) If you have a choice of towing company and/or body work destination, state it otherwise your car goes to impound I guess. As cars are towed, scan the scene for any parts left behind, such as license plate.
10) Figure how to get where you are going. If for medical treatment, consider a friend or Uber as ambulance will cost a fortune. Ensure you are going to a hospital covered by your insurance, if possible, and have a family member meet you there or take you in their car.
11) Once home and settled, write down facts. Call insurance and provide details.
12) If other party disputes facts later, provide dashcam video and photos as backup (after you have reviewed them).

I was in an accident a couple years ago involving a driver making a wild left turn in front of me from the lane to my right. He refused to provide his details and left the scene. He later filed a police report stating I was speeding like a maniac and struck his vehicle. I provided the dashcam video which sorted everything out pretty quickly.