anyone in the market for a lawn tractor?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

anyone in the market for a lawn tractor?

Post by Tenesmus83 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:15 am

the cheapest model is at least $1500. I just want something dependable and lasts a long time.
I wonder if you could get an older model for a lower price?

jebmke

Re: anyone in the market for a lawn tractor?

Post by jebmke » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 am

I would look around for a lightly used one. Around here, a lot of people get the urge to do their own lawns, go out and buy a brand new lawn tractor and then find out they really don't want to ride around in the heat getting bitten by deer flies, breathing dust etc. So they sell after a season and go back to using a service.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm

Most of the lawn tractors are made by AYP (american yard products) or MTD regardless of the brand label. Of the gasoline models Briggs and Stratton, Kohler and Kawasaki engines are very similar, if not exactly the same design. They do have slightly different versions depending if it is a 'residential' or 'commercial' model.

I have a slight preference to AYP over MTD

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:18 pm

How large is your lawn, property?
Flat or hilly?
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Although I don't have a mower, I've got a Kubota BX1860 compact 4 wheel drive, 3 cyl, diesel tractor. With a mower attachment, it would do a very nice job. Likely outlast any of those gas tractors. You're talking well over $10k.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Post by Tenesmus83 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:28 pm

I've got up to 1 acre. Completely flat. Felt like I'm wasting too much time pushing those small lawn mowers.

Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Post by Tenesmus83 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:17 pm

what's the average lifespan of a lawn tractor?

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:20 pm

I don’t know what the average lifespan is theses days but our John Deere is 19 years old.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:27 pm

bigdav160 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Most of the lawn tractors are made by AYP (american yard products) or MTD regardless of the brand label. Of the gasoline models Briggs and Stratton, Kohler and Kawasaki engines are very similar, if not exactly the same design. They do have slightly different versions depending if it is a 'residential' or 'commercial' model.

I have a slight preference to AYP over MTD
AYP no longer exists. I assume you mean Husqvarna. There are three lawn tractor makers: MYD, Husqvarna and Deere. Husqvarna has now dropped all brands of wheeled equipment except Husqvarna and no longer makes Craftsman.

As for Engines you mention, there is a huge difference between consumer and commercial mowers.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:00 pm

Plenty of used mowers on the market but maybe not at this time of year. You'll have better luck either at the end of the season or beginning when contractors are looking to upgrade or offload extras. How handy are you? You could try and find an old deere 200 or 300 series that are built like tanks but may need a bit of tinkering here and there at very reasonable prices. The new stuff isn't nearly as reliable until u get above at least deere's x300 lines. I have an old ransomes walk behind 48", deere 214, and husqvarna 60" zero turn.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Tenesmus83 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:17 pm
I had a very bare bones Murray 42” Riding Mower with an automatic transmission / hydrostatic drive that I bought at Wal-Mart. It lasted 12 years before the transmission got weak. I sold it at a garage sale for $125. I had several people that wanted it actually and I could have probably gotten more for it. Oh well. I suspect the buyers were looking to repair and resell it. I partly sold it because I had moved and had a smaller yard and no longer really needed a riding mower. It served me well for those 12 years.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:09 pm

Tenesmus83 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:28 pm
I've got up to 1 acre. Completely flat. Felt like I'm wasting too much time pushing those small lawn mowers.
I have had a Husqvarna Zero Turn for 8 years and it just keeps running.

20 acres mowed with a John Deere and then all fence lines and grounds and around buildings with the zero turn.
It mows a lot of area all year round except for winter.

It will cut as fast as you can drive it.

j

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Tenesmus83 wrote:
Commercial landscapers run lawn tractors all day, every day, year after year.
A good quality lawn tractor mowing 1 acre and for owner use is hardly used in comparison.
j

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:33 pm
Although I don't have a mower, I've got a Kubota BX1860 compact 4 wheel drive, 3 cyl, diesel tractor. With a mower attachment, it would do a very nice job. Likely outlast any of those gas tractors. You're talking well over $10k.
This was many, many years ago, but when I was in high school I worked for an elderly widow who lived on 7 acres. She had a big Kubota diesel tractor. It had a 4 speed manual transmission and a high / low range. In low range and first gear, there wasn’t much it couldn’t pull. Really loved that piece of machinery - it gave me real respect for what a piece of well designed equipment could do. I am sure even back then it was major dollars. Ah, memories.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:20 pm

We have the most basic John Deere riding mower bought from Lowes at least 5 years ago. Still going strong without any issues.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:20 pm

I need a mini skid steerer with a brush hog, I have 89 acres, and it is 95% wooded, a landscaping crew and a budget or income producing setup to pay for all of this would be very good, I'm still dreaming. :)

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:34 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:20 pm
I need a mini skid steerer with a brush hog, I have 89 acres, and it is 95% wooded, a landscaping crew and a budget or income producing setup to pay for all of this would be very good, I'm still dreaming. :)
I keep getting offers to buy my standing timber. How about you? That could provide some income, but maybe at the cost of what you value about the property.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:40 pm

Uniballer wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:34 pm

I keep getting offers to buy my standing timber. How about you? That could provide some income, but maybe at the cost of what you value about the property.
I live approximately 170 miles from my property about 3.5 hours, so I don't know, but the previous owner did harvest trees before and the workers left a mess, I am still dealing with that, and been forewarned by close friends not to harvest trees. The neighbors maintenance man and I toured the property, I asked him if he needed fire wood, he can help himself, a year and half later he has not done anything.

So mentally I am not ready to deal with it not that I need the trees for income, I don't trust the locals, they are weird, they don't return phone calls and work whenever they feel like it. I met a wood turner, he and I seem to get along, I will see if we could do something.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:42 pm

if you can wait till late Fall or Winter to buy you'll prob score a better deal.
flat lawn....a self propelled walker would be a good way to get a little workout in.
Or, consider mowing 1/2 the lawn every other week if time is an issue.

rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:29 am

I asked local John Deere dealer what his favorite used machine was.

LT180 John Deere Kawasaki engine with Hydrostatic drive.If you could find one with low hrs I would buy it.

I have a 1993 STX38 John Deere Yellow deck Kohler engine with transaxle still going strong. 8-) mowon'

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:24 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:12 pm
Tenesmus83 wrote:
Commercial landscapers run lawn tractors all day, every day, year after year.
A good quality lawn tractor mowing 1 acre and for owner use is hardly used in comparison.
j
What commercial landscaper used a lawn tractor?

MOBY DICK

Post by MOBY DICK » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:29 am

For the O.P.,
https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/produc ... mower.html

It has been in production for over 40 years... good for pretty much FLAT terrain only. Avoid look-alikes from various manufacturers as they offer inferior engine to make a profit.
Good Luck

umfan11244

Post by umfan11244 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:03 am

This question comes up often where I live. If you're mowing anything 1 acre or larger, a zero turn would certainly benefit you. If not for the convenience, for the fact that you may actually enjoy mowing with it. My whole experience has changed since I bought mine. I look forward to my 1 hour of mowing while listening to 90's rock on Pandora.

As far as brand goes, I would try to find a used Scag, Toro, Exmark, or Gravely, in that order. Minus these four, I'm not sure what I would buy. I ended up finding a 2001 Scag for $2000. It's been going strong for 3 years mowing my 1.5-2 acre lawn weekly (size varies because one part of the yard is still developing and I only mow every other time). Maintenance is a breeze and the thing is built like a mini-tank. Remember, if you buy a quality machine used, it will retain value for years! Good luck!

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:27 am

Let It Pull You,
Just bought this (self propelled)
Game changer :happy

https://www.ryobitools.com/40v-mowers/self-propelled/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:58 am

I cut 1/3 acre with a base John Deere 100 series mower. They cost around $1,500 new, picked up this on Craigslist with like 20 hours for $750.

It's been 7 years and I've got 80 hours on it now and all I've done is change the oil. Battery tender goes on it in the winter.

mancich

Post by mancich » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:23 am

Another vote for a John Deere tractor. We have the LA115, bought from a dealer 11 years ago. It was around $1,600 at the time. I change the oil regularly, keep the blades sharp, and bought a bagger kit for it as well. No issues whatsoever.

We have about .75 acre of mowable grass, and the Deere makes it easy. :beer

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:32 am

Cub Cadet NX15 Lawn Tractor; you won't find a better warranty policy either

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:48 am

Curious if anyone will pipe-in with any experiences with a rechargeable rider. I just bought an Ego push mower, and it's great so far. Nice to hear birds chirping while mowing, and NOT needing ear protection. Bet the neighbors like it, too ;-).

Greg in West Mitten

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:57 am

It is not cost effective yet. The batteries are a wear item and will fail before end of life of the tractor. The cost to replace the batteries is more than the tractor. I used to work for a outdoor power equipment manufacturer that made this product.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:10 am

Mowing ~1acre with a push mower seems...masochistic.

By chance do you have a Sears Outlet store within driving distance? If you don't mind some minor cosmetic issues, you can purchase a brand-new Craftsman riding mower for a substantial discount.

But really, a basic Craftsman/Deere/Husq. etc, from the big box stores just isn't that expensive, even paying retail, IMO, for the benefit gained to mowing by hand.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Lowe's is the Craftsman retailer of choice now

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:48 pm

On one acre of flat ground pretty much any riding mower will last a very long time as long as you do the maintenance.
I would only entertain the main names in engines, stay away from the lower quality ripoff engines.
If you don't like the idea of changing the oil with the mess, get a topsider oil suckerouter and change oil thru the dipstick tube.
(works for cars too :happy )
Change the oil, change the oil ,change the oil, enough said.
Drain fuel at end of season or use stabil. 25 yrs I drained, never an issue.
I just put to sleep last yr my 25 yr old 42 inch cut, Lowes (Mtd) 14.5 hp that I cut 4 acres with here in Tn. Briggs and Stratton.
lower oil seal gave out while in use, started squealing from the engine. Ran perfect prior to that, no oil burning.

Things to keep in mind, the smaller the deck the more even the lawn cut.
The smaller the deck the LONGER the time to finish.
Lots of trees bushes, stuff to cut around, zero turn, saves time. But make sure the deck size fits between stuff.
My experience with size and time...
42" deck vs 4 acres = 6 hrs cutting time aprox..... one acre do the math.
61" deck scag turf tiger vs same 4 acres = 2 hrs cutting time. :happy
Bigger deck less time cutting, but it is only one acre.
Sharpen/replace blades every yr for one acre.
Keep even air in tires, you go faster, and cut more evenly.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.