Outdoor Fire Pit - Wood vs. Gas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

Outdoor Fire Pit - Wood vs. Gas?

Post by ruanddu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 pm

Hello,

We are installing a outdoor fire pit made of stone block and have the option to put in natural gas for the fire pit, or use a simple wood burning solution. Curious if you have had a chance to use both wood and gas fire pit options and which you prefer best and why? I would also appreciate any brand/model recommendations of products that have worked well for you, either wood or gas.

Thanks!

Mike Scott

Re: Outdoor Fire Pit - Wood vs. Gas?

Post by Mike Scott » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 pm

I prefer wood for cooking. Gas is easier and cleaner. I use wood.

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks, Mike!

Would you mind elaborating on how you cook with wood? What kind of fire pit setup do you use?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:21 pm

Wood: flying embers, smoke (everything smells like smoke, burns the eyes), ash cleanup, wood pile attracts critters, smell of burning wood which some love. Time to get going and light. Need to burn it down a bit to be safe for the night when leaving it.

Gas: Clean, warm, smoke does not burn the eyes, smoke does not shift with the wind, no ash cleanup, no wood pile. no time to light it, no need to refill.

In my limited experience, some friends and guests will not go to a gathering with a wood burning fire pit because of the resultant smoke smell on their clothes. And, as the wind shifts, guests move away from the fire pit smoke.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Post by 123 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Can't you run a gas line and provide for both options. I had a wood-burning fireplace (with a gas line installed) in a new house and after a couple of seasons I just changed to gas logs with no issues.

Put in a gas line for the option. The first few times you use wood you'll know if you want to continue to be a caveman or switch to a more gentil approach.
Last edited by 123 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks, Sandtrap. Good points. There is a product I am keeping my eye on called the Solo Stove that can burn wood with minimal smoke. People are reviewing product saying they don't smell like a campfire afterwards, so maybe it's hopeful? Thanks again.

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks, 123. Yes, I actually have a gas line already buried and in place to fire pit since we just put in a new a patio I wanted to have line in place if we decided to go that route. What prompted my question was just how expensive I am finding out it will be to install gas, considering the cost of connecting line to house and then adding cost of the gas fire pit parts that fully equipped with accessories seem to be around $1,500-$2,000 for a good quality product (at least from what I can tell). Thanks again.

Helot

Post by Helot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 pm

ruanddu wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:26 pm
Thanks, Sandtrap. Good points. There is a product I am keeping my eye on called the Solo Stove that can burn wood with minimal smoke. People are reviewing product saying they don't smell like a campfire afterwards, so maybe it's hopeful? Thanks again.
Have the Solo Stove. Replaced it with a gas burning portable fire pit. The solo stove burns like an afterburner. Extremely efficient, hence less smoke. I find, however, that it doesn’t radiate heat outward. The heat goes straight up. Also, because it burns so efficiently, it burns wood too quickly. Since I transitioned to the gas pit, I find myself using it more often. Also, you’ll still smell like smoke with the solo stove. At least my girls and I did after each use.

Cheers and good luck.

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Very helpful, Helot!

Would you mind sending me the brand and model of gas unit you bought? Propane or natural gas?

Thanks again.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:03 pm

definitely gas.......stand around a wood fire pit....smoke goes everywhere and you come inside and smell of smoke.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Helot

Post by Helot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 pm

ruanddu wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 pm
Very helpful, Helot!

Would you mind sending me the brand and model of gas unit you bought? Propane or natural gas?

Thanks again.
I bought the following pit. The main purpose was for our SoCal camping trips where, due to fire restrictions, many campgrounds now ban all fires other than gas. Still, I find myself using it in our backyard as well where it has replaced the Solo Stove.

Outland Firebowl 883 Mega Outdoor Propa ... fDb8RSG5GK

I suspect you’d want to find something more upscale for a permanent feature in your backyard.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:15 pm

Love the ambiance of wood... Hate everything else.

Had a wood fireplace and used it once a year. Got a gas fireplace and use it every day in the winter.

Had a wood fire pit and used it once. Recently got a gas fire pit and used it several times a week.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 pm

I like wood. There’s something embedded in our DNA when it comes to socializing around a wood fire. I have also cooked on it. We have gas fireplaces inside wood outside. Gas is easier, I can’t argue with that.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Gas - easier to start, you will use it more often
Easier to shutdown so don't have to plan on when you want to use it
Generally cleaner, don't have to keep stocking wood.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:46 am

I use wood for indoor fireplace and outdoor fire pit, and charcoal for grilling. Yes, it is more work. I have had gas fireplaces before, and have never understood the appeal of watching a gas flame. Might as well just light a burner on my stove.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:56 am

I use wood. The pit is built as a temporary one with granite stone nearby against a huge boulder that's flat on one side. Since I cut my own fire wood, there's always junk wood around, so the pit gets rid of some of this. Cleanup for me is simply moving the granite stones to a pile before winter shows hit. When the kids were younger, they'd have "homework burning" gatherings at the end of the school year.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:54 am

I have a 3/4” line to my patio with a manifold feeding a gas grill, back up generator, and water heater. None of them operate at the same time. For my fire pit, I ran a 3/4” line from that manifold to the fire pit burner. Works great.

The Montana Fire Pit guy reviewed my configuration over the phone before we decided on a burner size. The three-quarter inch line is large enough. I have been very satisfied with the flame size and construction of the burner. I investigated numerous burner manufacturers and configurations, and this was the best. Too many people just go to Amazon and buy a circular stainless steel ring. Those look like birthday candle flames.

I also had a circular aluminum cover plate fabricated to protect the fire pit when not in use. I used a local sheet metal shop and they built one for $115. I also purchased the natural gas on off valve from Montana fire pit.

Had it over a year with no issues...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:08 am

ruanddu wrote:
We have neighborhood early evening/late afternoon gatherings at least once a month at various homes. All fire pits. After awhile, many of the women don't come because of the smoke smell in their hair and clothes, or stand and gather very very far away and upwind, in the dark. The "macho" men/husbands sit in the smoke, breath deeply.

However, wood fire pits are fairly inexpensive, there are kits of various sizes made of stone at Home Depot, etc. Also the hassle of running gas lines, etc. I suspect that that's a big factor in why many have wood pits.

j

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:47 am

Here's one that I am looking at, simple...
It was on sale last month, I think it was $699 but was not ready yet. Next time around

https://www.costco.com/.product.1004759 ... _0517_Home
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:10 am

My experience with gas fire pits is that they just don’t get as hot as a wood fire does once it is established with a nice bed of coals. The gas fire pits are fine if you are sitting around on the patio and it’s in the 50’s, but as you get down into the 40’s or upper 30’s, they don’t radiate enough heat to keep you warm. This may be because I’ve never experienced a really good gas fire pit however.

I do agree that the smoke, ash, embers, cleanup of a wood fire makes it an every once in awhile thing at best.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:35 am

If it matters to you, wood is more environmentally friendly.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:50 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:35 am
Depends on how you define environmentally friendly. Wood fire pits are a source of particulate air pollution that can be harmful.

https://www.pca.state.mn.us/featured/sm ... -breathing

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 am

Vote for gas. Really nice thing is you can turn it off at anytime and go to sleep. Also don’t need a wood pile around the back yard.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:53 am

Winston19 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:50 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Depends on how you define environmentally friendly. Wood fire pits are a source of particulate air pollution that can be harmful.

I have emphysema. A lot of fellow seniors I know have respiratory problems of one sort of another.
Smoke of any kind is a big big issue.
Something to consider.
j :happy

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:03 am

ruanddu wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:19 pm
Thanks, Mike!

Would you mind elaborating on how you cook with wood? What kind of fire pit setup do you use?
We have a wood fire pit. We cook what I consider the usual firepit foods like brats, marshmallows for smores, etc. What would concern me with gas is all the drippings and droppings of food falling onto the decorative rocks, glass beads, etc. that I typically see in gas fire pits. With a wood fire pit, drippings aren't a problem. We also tend to host parties around our fire pit later in the season when our friends with the gas fire pit give up just because of the radiated warmth factor. A bed of coals throws out a lot more heat.

But we do have to mess with firewood which isn't a problem for us since we also have a wood fireplace indoors and I probably scoop out the ash once every three years or so. It takes awhile to accumulate on our in frequent fire pit sessions. Also, since we tend to burn on days with a slight breeze to avoid mosquitoes, smelling like wood smoke isn't a problem as long as we sit upwind. On the days where the breeze can't decide which way to blow, mosquitoes are a problem and we aren't out there.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:05 am

Many municipalities in my area (where lots are small and houses close to each other) have banned wood-burning outdoor fire pits/chimneas, etc. due to smoke/particulate concerns. OP should make sure they are allowed where they live before spending any money.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:18 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:08 am
ruanddu wrote:
We have neighborhood early evening/late afternoon gatherings at least once a month at various homes. All fire pits. After awhile, many of the women don't come because of the smoke smell in their hair and clothes, or stand and gather very very far away and upwind, in the dark. The "macho" men/husbands sit in the smoke, breath deeply.
No such issues here. Perhaps it, like so many other things, depends on individual and local circumstances.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:27 am

Helot wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 pm
ruanddu wrote:
Have the Solo Stove. Replaced it with a gas burning portable fire pit. The solo stove burns like an afterburner. Extremely efficient, hence less smoke. I find, however, that it doesn’t radiate heat outward. The heat goes straight up. Also, because it burns so efficiently, it burns wood too quickly. Since I transitioned to the gas pit, I find myself using it more often. Also, you’ll still smell like smoke with the solo stove. At least my girls and I did after each use.

Cheers and good luck.
Also have a Solo Stove and I will pick that any night over my gas fire pit. I agree that it burns hot and there is little smoke but I think there is still plenty of heat. I only use the gas fire pit if I want a quick fire and to be able to turn it off quickly. Otherwise it just doesn't have the same feeling as a wood burning fire pit to me.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:30 am

Winston19 wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:

This is very true and even thought I prefer wood it is a concern with pollution. But so is any type of burning including propane or natural gas. They burn cleaner but still put a significant amount of CO2 into the atmosphere.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:15 am

depends on the setting. if this is a quaint backyard with nearby homes, then gas. if you have acreage like we do with in the middle of a forest with lots of firewood, then wood...imo...i think of gas firepits like a big bbq.
Last edited by squirm on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:16 am

emoore wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:30 am
Winston19 wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:

This is very true and even thought I prefer wood it is a concern with pollution. But so is any type of burning including propane or natural gas. They burn cleaner but still put a significant amount of CO2 into the atmosphere.
at least wood is renewable. gas, once it's burned, it's not coming back.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:08 am
ruanddu wrote:

However, wood fire pits are fairly inexpensive, there are kits of various sizes made of stone at Home Depot, etc. Also the hassle of running gas lines, etc. I suspect that that's a big factor in why many have wood pits.

j
We have been in the market for a fire pit. Good points!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Hello everyone, thanks so much for all the responses. Learning a lot.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:21 pm
Wood: flying embers, smoke (everything smells like smoke, burns the eyes), ash cleanup, wood pile attracts critters, smell of burning wood which some love. Time to get going and light. Need to burn it down a bit to be safe for the night when leaving it.

Gas: Clean, warm, smoke does not burn the eyes, smoke does not shift with the wind, no ash cleanup, no wood pile. no time to light it, no need to refill.

In my limited experience, some friends and guests will not go to a gathering with a wood burning fire pit because of the resultant smoke smell on their clothes. And, as the wind shifts, guests move away from the fire pit smoke.

j
Wood burning is a misery for any neighbors within about a block's radius if they have asthma or other respiratory problems. They can't mitigate this with an air purifier, because the particles are too small for even HEPA filters, despite the claims of air purifier manufacturers.

Out local historic house group has 2-3 events a year that I would love to go to, but can't because they have reenactors with campfires.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:11 pm

Interesting responses and perspectives in this thread.

As a native East Texan who has worked the oilpatch for near to 42 year - I'm glad folks like and use natural gas.

But where I'm from most folks use wood for their fire pits and BBQ pits and Smokers....

I have many fond memories of cooking and warming up by the camp fire when hunting and fishing growing up.

I will say that the smoke will follow you around the campfire....ha...all part of it.

Never say never, but I cannot ever see ms gamboolgal and I using natural gas in our Firepit and our BBQ pit(s)...If I can't cut the wood myself - I'll pay some youngsters to bring it for us. Getting more likely as I near retirement at the end of this year....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go...

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:48 pm

I have one of these that I am pretty happy with. No smoke at all once it gets up to proper temp. I wish it was a little larger.

Also wish it generated its own electricity like the Biolite stoves, but I can understand why it doesn't.

I also have a few of the Biolite stoves. Pretty impressive bits of engineering.

They were actually designed to reduce pollution and increase efficiency for use in poorer parts of the world where most cooking is still done over wood or dung.

https://www.amazon.com/BioLite-FirePit- ... 0765NLD2F/
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:34 pm

I prefer the look and feel of a real wood fire. We have a wood stove in our house, and a wood firepit outside. We get wood from our own property so there's no additional expense other than the firepit itself. I can also burn the wood scraps from my woodworking hobby.

Honestly, gas scares me. I grew up with manually lighted gas stoves and ovens that often flared up, pilot lights that blew out on hot water heaters filling the house with gas, and had friends who died in a RV gas explosion. I'm sure my fears are unjustified, but I would never own any gas appliance.

duke33

Post by duke33 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:24 am

Can you roast marshmallow on a gas fire-pit? How do you protect the lava rocks below?

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:17 am

We have a wood pit and don't use it all that often, because of the mess / hassle.

If we had a gas setup, we would use it far more often.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:39 am

duke33 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:24 am
Can you roast marshmallow on a gas fire-pit? How do you protect the lava rocks below?
You can roast marshmallows over a gas burner. Just don't let them get to the dripping stage.

Better2bWise

Post by Better2bWise » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:56 am

Wood fire pits smell better...but you will smell like them too until showered. Gas provides the cleanest, quickest, and least smoke-filled enjoyable time.

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:23 am

We have a gas fire pit and use it multiple times per week. Even toast marshmallows and they turn out great. No complaints.

We decided against wood largely due to the need to maintain a burn pile and the smell. I should say, as many other posters, we enjoy the smell of wood....but not when it is <100 ft from our home....

Good luck!

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks again for the replies. Interesting to hear all your perspectives.

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:40 pm

This is timely as we just redid our patio in a normal suburban neighborhood and are in the deciding stage now on what fire pit to get. We didn't get one built into the patio as I'm not sure we'd use it quite enough.

Does anyone have a propane fire pit/fire table type thing? I've seen them before and my InLaws have one.... any opinion on those? Can you roast marshmallows over a propane pit?

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:46 pm

In a long-ago house, we had a circular opening in the back patio where we attempted and failed a few times to grow trees. So, we had a nice masonry wood fire pit built, partly as a warning to the rest of the trees in the yard as to what happens to bad trees...

Seriously, we enjoyed it immensely and hosted many neighborhood gatherings. We used to make foil meals in the coals.

That said, we haven't had one at any house since. We have thought about putting one in at our summer house, but are not sure how much we would actually use it.

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:45 am

MarkerFM - late reply here but thanks for your input.

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 am

Love the ambiance of the wood fire pit. We use it, but the weather has to be perfect, not just the day we use it, but the following morning as well. One time it rained overnight, so when we cleaned it the following morning the ash had mixed with the rain and dried into something that looked like cement. :(

People are right in that the smoke can get to be a lot, depending on the type of wood you use and how long the wood has dried out. The wetter the wood, the messier the experience, IMHO.

That being said, there's no fun sitting around a gas firepit. Or, at least, it's about as much fun as sitting around a gas stove in the kitchen.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:25 am

Does it have to be attractive?

I'm a big fan of 'burn barrels' - just an old 55 gallon barrel with some holes punched in the bottom. Burns household trash nicely, too, as well as papers you might otherwise shred.

But after a couple months outdoors it rusts and looks horrible. But the 'chimney' function of the air flow makes for a very efficient burn.

tip: host a 'Hobo Party', serving the beverage of choice in 1/2-filled pint bottles, as guests stand around the barrel.

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 pm

mmcmonster wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 am
Love the ambiance of the wood fire pit. We use it, but the weather has to be perfect, not just the day we use it, but the following morning as well. One time it rained overnight, so when we cleaned it the following morning the ash had mixed with the rain and dried into something that looked like cement. :(

People are right in that the smoke can get to be a lot, depending on the type of wood you use and how long the wood has dried out. The wetter the wood, the messier the experience, IMHO.

That being said, there's no fun sitting around a gas firepit. Or, at least, it's about as much fun as sitting around a gas stove in the kitchen.
Thanks MMCMonster. Interesting perspective about sitting around gas firepit being no fun. I have yet to pull the trigger on installing gas firepit as I am concerned it won't be enjoyable like sitting around a real wood firepit.

Any other people share the same feelings about gas firepits not being that enjoyable to sit around versus a wood firepit?

My big concern is not being able to use a wood firepit since we live in a suburb where neighbors aren't too far away.

Thanks again.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 pm

The choice was easy for me. My DW didn't like that she had to ask me to start the wood fire, and wasn't comfortable going to bed with the wood still burning. She wanted something she could walk over to, turn it on, turn it off, walk away and forget about it. She loves sitting out by the pool, and turning on the gas fire pit for an hour or two as the temp drops in the evening.

gasdoc