Tire Pressure Monitoring System failed: Replace or Ignore?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bagelhead

Tire Pressure Monitoring System failed: Replace or Ignore?

Post by bagelhead » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:07 pm

What would you do if the TPMS in 1 of your car's tires failed, assuming:

- Your car is 12 years old, runs fine, and worth $5000
- You have never changed the TPMS in any of the tires and therefore the other 3 sensors batteries may die soon
- One TPMS costs $70 to replace
- You don't drive this car many miles annually or long distances

Would you replace the 1 TPMS and, when they fail shortly, the other 3 (to maximize safety)?

Would you forget the TPMS and check your tire pressures every month?

Winston19

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System failed: Replace or Ignore?

Post by Winston19 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:10 pm

For $70 I would probably fix it. Another option is a third party tpms system like this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RD479X/re ... fDbN21BGHH

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 pm

Ha! My car is so old it doesn't have a tire pressure monitoring system. I simply look at the tires each morning to make sure none of the tires are low. About once every 3-4 months, I add some air.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:45 pm

TPMS didn't become mandatory on new cars until 2007. Somehow people managed to drive without it for many years prior.

If it was my car I wouldn't change the TPMS sensor. I would put a piece of electrical tape over the warning light and carry on.

The car isn't going to be worth $70 more when you trade it if you fix it (or $280 if you ultimately change out all four sensors).
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:48 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:45 pm
The car isn't going to be worth $70 more when you trade it if you fix it (or $280 if you ultimately change out all four sensors).
Our truck has a full size spare so it has five.

I can check the air in my tires manually a lot of times for $350.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Get a quote from your local Costco tire center before you tape over the light....
Man assumes more intelligence than dolphins because he achieves so much, while dolphins just have a good time. Dolphins believe they're more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reason. (HGG)

flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:09 pm

electric tape to ignore it. You can visually notice if your air is lower and if it's too low you'll feel it driving. It's just a good to have but not necessary. I'd rather use the $70 for beer or wine :D :wink:

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:25 pm

flyphotoguy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:09 pm
electric tape to ignore it. You can visually notice if your air is lower and if it's too low you'll feel it driving. It's just a good to have but not necessary. I'd rather use the $70 for beer or wine :D :wink:
No you can't gauge it visually. But you can check them with a digital gauge every month or so.

I had several go out and waited until it was time for new tires and had them all replaced. Got them on eBay or Amazon. Mostly because it would be nice to have them working when I sell the truck.

KT

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:26 am

A nice digital tire gauge is $10. Check once a week or every two.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:54 am

I've always checked my tires regularly and continue to do so now that the TPMS has failed on my 2009. I was also quoted north of $250 to replace all 4. That's nearly the cost of 3 new replacement tires. No thanks. DW has the aftermarket TPMS sensors on her winter tires. They work pretty well.

Electrical tape won't cover the light as it's also an error message splashed across the center of my gauge cluster and a warning chime every few hundred miles. I've heard that there are ECU modifications you can do by tapping into the OBD port to disable TPMS entirely. But I think this borders on illegal if I sold the vehicle so I have chosen to ignore the message.

My state has annual inspection and they ignore TPMS.

john_nh

Post by john_nh » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 am

Some states do require TPMS to be functional to pass state inspection but many do not. Tire Rack has a partial list of states requiring functional TPMS for inspection:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=214

wander

Post by wander » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:05 am

Yes, I would replace it (or them, one by one as needed) as I don't want to see the warning light everyday.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:06 am

Buy a quality TPMS and check each tire every couple months yourself after visual checks weekly.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:08 am

bagelhead wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:07 pm

- You have never changed the TPMS in any of the tires and therefore the other 3 sensors batteries may die soon

Would you replace the 1 TPMS and, when they fail shortly, the other 3 (to maximize safety)?

Tape of just don't worry about it until you need to replace the tire as long as you take the effort to actually check your psi on some basis or with large changes in weather.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:19 am

Ignore. All TPMS does is create anxiety. If it has malfunctioned once, then how can you ever trust it in the future. Keep a good spare on hand and learn how to change a tire and drive on.

I HATE TPMS

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:22 am

I would and do ignore it. My 14 Wrangler with 30k miles has 2 wheels that unknown to me had older, different frequency sensors, so they don't work. They have my new offroad tires on them. I've also got several sets of wheels with snow tires and never pay for sensors when I buy them mounted and balanced from Tire Rack.

That said, I'm a DIY mechanic and do actually check tire pressure and lug nut torque on all our cars regularly (like every 2 weeks).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 am

You're sure it costs $70 to replace even if you are replacing the tires at the same time? How old are the tires?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 am

gmc4h232 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:19 am
Ignore. All TPMS does is create anxiety. If it has malfunctioned once, then how can you ever trust it in the future. Keep a good spare on hand and learn how to change a tire and drive on.

I HATE TPMS
Almost everything in life has failed once so based on your theory you would never depend on anything.

Many cars don't come equipped with a spare tire, nor have a space to install one. Regardless, TPMS is an important safety feature that may alert you to a tire that's losing pressure before it either goes flat while the car is parked, maybe in a place where nobody would want to change a tire, or deflates to the point of blowing out while driving. During the years I drove before TPMS both those things happened to me, multiple times. TPMS can't guarantee those things won't happen but makes them less likely. Almost every day I see vehicles on the interstate - usually passing me - with grossly under-inflated tires, just waiting to cause an accident.

conservativeinvestor

Post by conservativeinvestor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:59 am

If your state requires inspection it may not pass if the TPMS light is on.

It depends on your state here is the info from Tirerack.com for limited states, check your own state to makes sure.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=214
Delaware No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Hawaii Yes. TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection.
Louisiana No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Maine No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Massachusetts No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Mississippi No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Missouri No. Confirmed by the DMV.
New Hampshire No. Confirmed by the DMV.
New Jersey No. Confirmed by the DMV.
New York No. TPMS is inspected but it is not grounds for inspection failure.
North Carolina No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Pennsylvania No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Rhode Island Yes. TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection.
Texas No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Utah No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Vermont Yes. TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection.
Virginia No. Confirmed by the DMV.
West Virginia Yes. TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection.

If I didn't have to have the light off to pass inspection I wouldn't worry about getting it fixed, it's easy enough to check your tire pressures occasionally and most places check the tire pressure when you go in for service for oil changes and such.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:33 am

On my van with run flats, I would consider a TPMS sensor mandatory. On the other cars, I guess it would be up to whomever is driving. Personally I hate having warning lights on my dash and I would pay the $70 just to not have tape covering up a warning light. I would replace as needed though and not do a preemptive replacement. I have had TPMS batteries last twice as long as they were rated for.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 am

bagelhead wrote:

Replace them, as needed.
Overall, the TPM system is a good one and prevents the invevitable "Brain Farts" when on a long journey, or short one.

Consider it the price of peace of mind. One less thing to think about.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:40 am

I may be in the minority, but I'm of the opinion that if I spend premium dollars on a quality product like a higher end car or a vacation, why nickel and dime the accessory stuff?

I won't go on a cruise in a suite and then not get premium drinks or fine dining reservations, so why spend $25,000+ on a car and then sweat the $70 for tire gauges?

-B

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

I’d fix it, it is an important safety component. Yes, we survived without them in the past. As we did with anti-lock brakes, traction control and electronic stability control. I have had a situation where my TPMS alerted me to a slow leak; it’s a lot easier to drive the car in to have the flat repaired than it is to get stranded somewhere and need to do a tire change. I also had a situation with a car without TPMS pick up a chunk of metal in the tire on the highway. By the time I figured out I had an issue, I had very little time to get the car off the road and to a safe place. Even an extra 30 seconds of time would have made that a much safer task.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 am

Barsoom wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:40 am
I may be in the minority, but I'm of the opinion that if I spend premium dollars on a quality product like a higher end car or a vacation, why nickel and dime the accessory stuff?

I won't go on a cruise in a suite and then not get premium drinks or fine dining reservations, so why spend $25,000+ on a car and then sweat the $70 for tire gauges?

-B
"Premium dollars on a quality product"?

I don't see how my 10 year old Ford Fusion is premium or arguably quality. The TPMS system does not warn me when I have my winter wheels/tires without sensors until I've driven for at least 30 minutes. What a great system, eh? Save me from a blow out......so long as it's a slow enough leak to trip the system 30 minutes in advance.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:53 am

I would go ahead and replace them all. The batteries on the others will likely die soon anyway, and it is probably cheaper and much more convenient to do them all at once. I would also get other estimates. I had all of mine replaced at Costco a couple of years ago, and while I don't remember the exact price, I think it was much cheaper than what you are estimating. As for ignoring it, I don't see any reason to leave a safety feature disabled. Daily/Weekly/Monthly checks are great and can help you spot other problems as well, but that won't help if you run over a nail backing out of the driveway and the tire goes flat on the same trip. That's happened to me before, and I like being given a warning before it goes completely flat.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:14 am

I have ignored the light for many years. Being one with the car allows me to sense when a tire is low. My wife laughs at warning lights. No little warning light will keep her from her destination no matter how many tires she must sacrifice along the way. :annoyed
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. I see the world as it is; not how I wish it to be.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:14 am

The big question for me is how long you plan to keep the car. I had this on my old car and didn't fix because I replaced the car in less than a year. If it was going to be multiple years I would replace, especially because tire pressure changes most when the temps drop to -30 like they did this winter. checking tire pressures in that weather would be a hard pass.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:17 am

As someone posted TPMS is a critical safety item if you have run flats on the car.

If you have regular tires and you aren't going to keep the car much longer you could ignore and just be sure to check pressures every 1-2 months. If you are keeping the car for several more years I'd have the sensor replaced. Look on web/online sources for an inexpensive replacement sensor but be sure to confirm/verify the battery is fresh/not expired.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:23 am

When I experienced 1 failure on my 2008 Saturn VUE, I had all 4 replaced. The option I chose was to find a local tire store willing to install owner-sources sensors. I bought OEM quality sensors on Amazon at $35 each, and the tire store replaced all 4 for $20. I wasn't having any other work done and had never used that particular chain before. They said the sensor installation would have been free if I had then install new tires. Firestone, the shop where I had bought my tires, quoted $125+ to install a single sensor. It ended up costing me $160 for the set of 4 new sensors, installed.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:29 am

I like having TPMS, just like I like idiot lights/gauges. They are an early warning system to something needing attention. A very important something.

Our van is a 2008, and one sensor recently died. So, until we have the tires replaced, we will simply have the air pressure checked regularly.

The shop where we buy tires inflates with nitrogen, so wife just runs by ever now and then for a check. For whatever reason our tires seem to never need air added. And that just isn't the TPMS talking, as an tire pressure gauge is used to have a double check.

OP, $70 is cheaper than what was quoted for a replacement for me, it was $100.

As others have said, just buy a good tire pressure gauge.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:38 am

I would rather spend the $70 than having to check every couple of weeks as some suggest. I guess it depends on how much $70 means to you.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 am
Barsoom wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:40 am

-B
"Premium dollars on a quality product"?

I don't see how my 10 year old Ford Fusion is premium or arguably quality. The TPMS system does not warn me when I have my winter wheels/tires without sensors until I've driven for at least 30 minutes. What a great system, eh? Save me from a blow out......so long as it's a slow enough leak to trip the system 30 minutes in advance.
Maybe it's me, but I think anything I spend over $100 is "premium" to me. :D Certainly, spending tens of thousands on a car is deserving of "premium" analysis before making the decision on which car to buy (how many car-buying threads in just the past two weeks?), hence labeling the dollars "premium." It's not what you'd spend on a 10 year old car now, it's what you spent on it to acquire it.

I know... sunk costs are not considered when making future spending decisions, but a proper cash flow analysis of the initial purchase decision 10 years ago should have included anticipated maintenance over the life of the car, so it's really not a new spending decision but just following the plan that was decided upon when purchasing the car and its maintenance needs over its life.

That said, I have a 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid, the first year of the redesign. I love the car, but because it's a year 1 model it's been practically rebuilt. The 2013 had so many issues:
  • The upgraded leather shift handles were not installed. Had to go back to replace.
  • Spacer washers were not installed on the axles causing wheel grinding noises when backing up. Had to be recalled/fixed.
  • My driver door code keypad was defective and had to be replaced.
  • One touch window controls were buggy and had to be reprogrammed.
  • The HVAC system design was flawed, collected settled condensation, and became moldy. HVAC had to be recalled/replaced.
  • A CPU control board in the center stack was defective and was recalled/replaced.
  • Door latches were defective and had to be recalled/replaced.
  • CAFE tests were flawed, initial MPG of 47/47 were downgraded to 40/40 and owners were rebated $750.
  • There is now a class action suit over the Microsoft SYNC system for some reason.
But did I say I love the car? I'd buy a new one when the time comes if Ford hadn't decided to get out of the sedan business in the USA. The hybrid came standard with blind spot warning, rear camera, adaptive cruise control, forward/backward collision sensors, adaptive wipers, SYNC2. I even waited through the year-long delay in production to get one. My only regret is that the Titanium trim hadn't come out until the end of 2013.

-B

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:09 am

IMHO, it’s a coin toss. $70 is not much even if you have to eventually do x4 wheels. OTOH, it’s a dubious feature for anyone who feels comfortable using a cheap gauge and does routine vehicle inspections (especially before a trip). Back in the old days :D, dads used to check their tires and do a vehicle inspection periodically and before a long trip. My wife tells me that she and a friend were going on car trip and her friend’s dad came out and did full vehicle inspection of my wife’s car before he let his daughter get in. Old skool! This may seem sexist to some, but my wife is not a car person and actually was very thankful.

I have had 3 TPMS failures in 9 years of owing my car and replaced them all, but I have not made it a priority to run to the shop as soon as it happens. I wait for regular service and just check the tires with a gauge in the meantime.

One thing that I like about TPMS: it will notify you in unusual circumstances—when you might not be checking your tires as often. I had this happen when I picked up a screw during a long trip. It was a very slow leak and the next day, I got out of the hotel and just started driving. Yes, I could have checked the tire myself but the leak was slow and unless I had put a gauge to it, I may not have noticed. I look like at it like it’s another piece of information I like to have and tires are important to safety! But some people put electrical tape over the warning light on the dash and just keep driving.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 am

3-20Characters wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:09 am
it’s a dubious feature for anyone who feels comfortable using a cheap gauge and does routine vehicle inspections (especially before a trip).
Here's a story that happened to me.

I moved back to my current city after being away for 30 years. I showed my wife were I used to live, which was a nice area for new college graduates just starting out, but is now a low-income minority area of town.

We were driving down the street to see the house I was renting with a friend, and noticing how my memories of the street didn't recall it being as dingy as it appeared now (probably due to my own lifestyle creep after 30 years). Anyway, as I turn down another street my tire sensor goes off! This is the LAST place I want to have a car breakdown, so I drive onto a main road and pulled into a national chain gas station to check the tires. By eyeballing them I didn't see any nails or screws or anything. I checked the pressure and topped off the tires.

We drove home and the next day I took the car to a tire repair shop, thinking that I had a sensor go bad. It turns out that they found a razor blade in one of the tires and the sensor registered a slow leak. I must have run over something in that neighborhood and the sensors registered a change in tire pressure.

-B

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 am

tibbitts wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 am
gmc4h232 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:19 am

I HATE TPMS
Almost everything in life has failed once so based on your theory you would never depend on anything.

Many cars don't come equipped with a spare tire, nor have a space to install one. Regardless, TPMS is an important safety feature that may alert you to a tire that's losing pressure before it either goes flat while the car is parked, maybe in a place where nobody would want to change a tire, or deflates to the point of blowing out while driving. During the years I drove before TPMS both those things happened to me, multiple times. TPMS can't guarantee those things won't happen but makes them less likely. Almost every day I see vehicles on the interstate - usually passing me - with grossly under-inflated tires, just waiting to cause an accident.
If the TPMS is prone to malfunctioning and "crying wolf", you would be less likely to pull over immediately and confirm a tire is about to blow out, so I dont see that you gain anything by it. And if the tire just goes flat while you are parked, what has the TPMS solved by illuminating a warning on your dashboard?

6miths

Post by 6miths » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:49 am

Agree on the tape solution if you can't stand the light on. From December to March every year our light is on as there was no way I was going to buy a second set of sensors for the snows that are on separate rims. This is one of the most ridiculous 'safety' features ever. Much like 'chipped' keys, another way to make money.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

Jimbo9911

Post by Jimbo9911 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:50 am

We all used to get by just fine before TPMS.
I would not replace it. Just look at your tires before heading out and if one is getting low go get it fixed.
Jim

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:52 pm

The original TPMS doesn't indicate which tire is low, so what is the point? Since the warning light failure message appeared I do what I would have done before TPMS--check weekly with a gauge.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:14 pm

Lucky for us our TPMS identifies which tire needs attention.

Honestly, the TPMS system is a great safety feature.

My wife watches the gauges/idiot lights religiously.

We seldom checked our tire pressure manually, the TPMS system is amazingly accurate.

I'll need new tires soon, I'll replace all the sensors then.

Wife has enough to worry about without worrying about the feature.

She is my driver, I am her navigator.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:50 pm

Jimbo9911 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:50 am
We all used to get by just fine before TPMS.
I would not replace it. Just look at your tires before heading out and if one is getting low go get it fixed.
Jim
We did not get by just fine before TPMS. We would get punctures and cuts in our tires, and only realize when the tire got so low that it was well beyond unsafe. I remember one time I found out about a leak because my car didn't have air conditioning, so I had the windows open, and I heard the hissing at a stop light. Another time I happened to stop and found a 6in branch sticking out of the sidewall, but again only because I heard the hissing noise that I wouldn't have heard if I hadn't stopped. I didn't notice anything different in how the car drove, but the tire was already half deflated.
Last edited by tibbitts on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:54 pm

sarahjane wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:52 pm
The original TPMS doesn't indicate which tire is low, so what is the point? Since the warning light failure message appeared I do what I would have done before TPMS--check weekly with a gauge.
But you wouldn't check every minute or every hour with a gauge, and that's the point. Maybe you checked the tires a few hours ago, but now one of them is losing pressure and will become unsafe before you'd notice without TPMS.

Afty

Post by Afty » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 pm

This happened to me recently. I chose to replace all 4 sensors at the same time. I had them replaced at a tire shop and not at the dealer.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Edited to remove what someone may consider crude language.

TPM's are there to minimize a slow leak from causing a blow-out, especially if it's a front tire which could cause loss of control. Blow-outs usually occur at high speeds, like on the freeway/highway, where the low pressure leads to tire over-heating until it bursts. Loss of control at speed often results in a roll-over. Do you really want to risk your ( and/or your family's ) life by not replacing a $70 safety item?

My system recently activated for a very small leak at 27psi. Although not an ideal operating pressure, it's more than enough to keep the tire from overheating and blowing-out.
Last edited by RetiredAL on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Some cars can be converted from direct TPMS (pressure is monitored by in tire sensors) to indirect TPMS (pressure is monitored by comparing the rotations speeds of the different wheels) by reprogramming the vehicle computer. Most vehicles already monitor the wheel rotation speeds for the ABS and traction/stability control systems. I know that 2009 VWs could be converted. I was going to do mine but then VW bought it back due to the diesel scandal.

Just an example of what I am talking about. Obviously you would have to see if you could on your vehicle.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/tpms ... ds-mk6-vw/

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:09 am

RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 pm

TPM's are there to minimize a slow leak from causing a blow-out, especially if it's a front tire which could cause loss of control. Blow-outs usually occur at high speeds, like on the freeway/highway, where the low pressure leads to tire over-heating until it bursts. Loss of control at speed often results in a roll-over. Do you really want to risk your ( and/or your family's ) life by not replacing a $70 safety item?

My system recently activated for a very small leak at 27psi. Although not an ideal operating pressure, it's more than enough to keep the tire from overheating and blowing-out.
Man, it's a good thing us humans survived all those flat tires before TPMS was involved with our car tires!

Good ole BHs taking things to extremes to make their point.... :oops:

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:14 am

bagelhead wrote:

Do you even know which one failed? At 12 years old, it's probably just the one light that comes on showing there's something low somewhere.

I'd leave it until you need new tires and then replace all of them along with the tires.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:32 am

chevca wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:14 am

Do you even know which one failed? At 12 years old, it's probably just the one light that comes on showing there's something low somewhere.

I'd leave it until you need new tires and then replace all of them along with the tires.
Unlikely it's anything but the sensor, assuming your tire pressure isn't low.

Each sensor has a none replaceable battery, and the typical battery live can be as short as 8 years. If your TPMS system does not indicate individual wheels, then a simple handheld receiver that more shops own can be used to identify which sensor(s) failed.

But at that age, even if it's only 1 sensor it makes more sense (no pun intended) to replace all if you plan to keep the car going for years to come.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:46 am

chevca wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:09 am
RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Man, it's a good thing us humans survived all those flat tires before TPMS was involved with our car tires!

Good ole BHs taking things to extremes to make their point.... :oops:
Again, we also survived without crash avoidance systems, electronic stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, air bags, crumple zones, seat belts, radial tires, etc. Unless we didn’t.

Sometimes TPMS is a nuisance item but sometimes it’s not. I don’t know why you’d want to bypass it.

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:28 am

No one in here is talking about WANTING to bypass TPMS. The issue is wanting to pay for parts and labor or not on a non-mandatory item. It can wait, or one can pay for it to be fixed. Personal preference on the TPMS, IMO.

Definitely no need to go to extreme examples to try and scare the OP into getting it fixed though.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:21 am

chevca wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:28 am
No one in here is talking about WANTING to bypass TPMS. The issue is wanting to pay for parts and labor or not on a non-mandatory item. It can wait, or one can pay for it to be fixed. Personal preference on the TPMS, IMO.

Definitely no need to go to extreme examples to try and scare the OP into getting it fixed though.
If you choose not to fix it, aren’t you in effect bypassing it? I can see waiting a bit until you replace tires if that is happening in the not too distant future, but otherwise I don’t get it.