Going to Ireland in July

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hmw

Going to Ireland in July

Post by hmw » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 pm

We will be vacationing in Ireland for 8 days in July. We have a 8-year old.

I have read some chapters from Rick Steve's book and Fodor's. We will be flying in and out of Dublin. Planning to stay in Dublin for 3 nights/2 full days before driving to the Southwest part of Ireland in a rental car. This is our first time in Ireland. I have booked hotel in Dublin and the rental car.

We are thinking of doing the Ring of Kerry. I figure that it will take 2-3 days. This leaves me with another 1-2 days to spend in the west of Ireland. Any suggestions? Any things fun for a 8-year old?

Our flight leaves Dublin at around 3pm on a Sunday. I am planning to drive from the West of Ireland to Dublin in the am of Sunday. According to google map, one can get the West of Ireland (eg Galway) to Dublin airport in less than 3 hours. Is this too risky? Should we spend in the last night in or near Dublin?

I will use credit card as much as possible. Should I expect problems with using a US issued chip card? I don't really remember my cc PIN. Is it important to have a PIN for Ireland? Do taxies in Dublin take cc? Any experience with using Uber in Dublin?

Related question: how much cash should I withdraw at Dublin airport on arrival? 200 to 300 euros?

Thanks

Watty

Re: Going to Ireland in July

Post by Watty » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:36 pm

hmw wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 pm
I will use credit card as much as possible. Should I expect problems with using a US issued chip card? I don't really remember my cc PIN. Is it important to have a PIN for Ireland? Do taxies in Dublin take cc? Any experience with using Uber in Dublin?
Here is the Rick Steves money web page.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money

I always carry enough cash that I can pay cash is there is a problem with a credit card. You can use the cash to pay for your last nights hotel bill and return with very little cash.
hmw wrote:
Our flight leaves Dublin at around 3pm on a Sunday. I am planning to drive from the West of Ireland to Dublin in the am of Sunday. According to google map, one can get the West of Ireland (eg Galway) to Dublin airport in less than 3 hours. Is this too risky? Should we spend in the last night in or near Dublin?
You can check the current recommendations about how early to arrive but with dropping off a rental car I would likely want to be at the airport about three hours before an international flight. That would mean that you would need to be at the airport by noon. With something like a flat tire or some other unexpected delay that could be a problem. I would spend the night a lot closer to Dublin.

DJN

Post by DJN » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:08 am

Hi,
for taxis you will generally need cash.
Uber and the other versions locally are not what you would normally expect, they are basically taxi "call centres" or web platforms and you will still just pay what it says on the meter. No discount like the usual Uber deal. "Mytaxi" and others are the local versions.
2-3 days for the Ring of Kerry is probably too much, they are not long distances just narrow winding roads! Have fun in Dingle.
West Cork is very beautiful.
Go see the Cliffs of Moher.
Most important thing for you is to remember which side of the road you are driving on.
enjoy,
DJN
Yah shure

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:21 am

I posted this a few days ago hopefully you will find it useful. To answer your questions....We did not rent a car in Dublin we used taxis and walked a lot. Parking in Dublin was crazy as well as the traffic. See number 16 regarding getting through the airport and US customs. I would leave yourself at least 3-4 hours at the airport if you do not have Global Entry. They do not tell you what gate to go to until 1 hour before your flight. We had no problem using a credit card we were not asked for a pin, you will need to sign as you do in the USA. Some taxi take credit cards ASK before you get into the cab!! We took out $300 in euros for our 21 days in Ireland and had $50 euros left over. Pay with credit cards and leave a tip (10%) in cash many times no place to add a tip on the credit card. Make sure you check the car insurance BEFORE you rent the car. I found my credit car did not cover Ireland. We used this website www.connsirelandcarrental.com to rent a car. Get as much coverage as you can afford see my comments below about driving in Ireland....hint it is NOT fun!! Get an automatic transmission if you can afford it.

My wife and I just came back 2 weeks ago from a trip to Scotland and Ireland some things we learned from our 31 day trip.

1. Do Scotland first IF you plan to rent a car. Why ??? the roads are better ie wider then in Ireland. You will get used to driving on the wrong side of the road. If you rent a car with a stick shift you will get used to changing gears with your left hand very weird experience had not driven a stick shift in 30 years. They do have automatic transmission but you will pay a premium for it may want to consider it.

2. Make sure you bring your GPS with you, using google maps was not as helpful as our gps particularly at the MANY roundabouts you will encounter. The Garmin gps indicated which turn to make when entering a roundabout with many have 4 options as to where to turn. They have roundabout every mile or so even on major highways you will encounter them. Many times 3 lanes of traffic are entering the roundabout at the same time. No one uses blinkers or gives you any indication where they are going soooooo much fun!! Try to plan your stops to the N and M roads they are so much better and easier to drive.

3.Signage in Ireland was VERY POOR without the gps we would have not found many places we visited. BUT make sure you look at where the gps is taking you, sometimes it took down 1 lane roads that were really 2way roads. Nothing like a big truck heading towards you with no place to go!!

4. I only got beeped at 2 times BUT they will ride your tail very quickly when going too slow. They have many small narrow roads with 60 mph speed limits which I did not feel comfortable doing. I would wait until a place they could pass and put my 4 way emergency lights on and they would pass. Some roads had places you could pull over which was very helpful.

5.Beware of others using the road such as groups on bicycles who would ride 2-3 bikes across taking up the lane. Coming around a blind corner with no shoulder and seeing this was soo much fun. People walking in the road. Sheep are EVERYWHERE including walking in the road or along the road not to mention sheep dogs going after them.

6. We only brought enough clothes for 8 days. We used laundry facilities where we dropped off the clothes and within 24 hours we picked it up. Saved us a lot of time and was was very reasonable priced about $15.

7. On and off bus tours in the cities give you a great overview. We used Park and ride buses in Edinburgh which saved trying to find parking and driving in this ancient city. For 4 pounds per person you can ride all day with many buses and routes to choose from. Be prepared to walk a LOT up and down BIG hills.

8. The OPW Heritage pass in Ireland and the Explorer Pass in Scotland helped you bypass the long lines Stirling and Edinburgh Castles.

9. Distance on google maps are short BUT because of the roads you need to add extra time to your destination.

10. Castles both ruins and finished/furnished, Cathedrals/Churches and distilleries are in EVERY Town so plan accordingly.

11. It rains a lot going from a beautiful day to pouring rain so bring rain gear and layers.

12. Locals do not wear baseball hats...gee I wonder why??

13. Souvenir T Shirts for places you visit do not exist!!!!

14. Woolen shops are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

15. Locals are wonderful and very helpful.

16. Leave time to get through the customs lines in Dublin airport. We had Global Entry and it took us 2 hours to make it through the process. Our plane was delayed for 1 hour because folks did not make it through on time, yea they actually waited for the passengers.

17. Do not bother with the Ring of Kerry or as we called it the Ring of Terror!! Instead do the Dingle Peninsula and the A2 road to Northern Ireland, and the costal highway between Galway and Westport. The Ring of Kerry road was narrow, changed suddenly to one lane bridges with no warning with MANY tour buses driving like it was a 4 lane highway. The Killarney National Park is definitely worth seeing but not the entire Ring of Kerry.

Consider taking a tour bus to do the Ring instead of driving!!!

18. Scotland has no toll roads but Ireland does make sure you have some local $$.

19. Pots of tea and scones were wonderful, coffee not so much as well as full Irish breakfast....baked beans in the morning???

20. Hotels require you to place your door entry card to turn on the power in the room. They have a slot as soon as you walk in to insert the card....make sure you get TWO cards so if you need to leave the room the other person is not sitting in the dark. They also use the card to get onto and operate the elevator. Hair dryers are in the desk drawer sometimes not near a mirror....lol. Each showers we encountered operated in its own unique way!! They do not believe in washcloths..... Make sure your hotel has parking some did not and we had to walk several blocks and pay for parking. Sometimes they had underground parking which was nice BUT it was like driving through your patio door into your basement....yea that tight. We had a Volkswagen Golf not a big car and it was VERY challenging,!

Overall we had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. They were both wonderful countries with spotless thriving towns, and amazing green country side.

k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 am

Cliffs of Moher if you're going out west toward Galway. There's another cliff I believe north of that that is less populated and even better views, but I can't recall the name -- we didn't do it.

My wife and I rented in Dublin from the local Ireland/Dublin brand rather than Avis/etc. It was a better deal. We paid for their insurance coverage. At the time I think I had Chase Sapphire and had them send me a letter saying I was covered, but at the end of the day we paid for pretty much the rest of the trip on points and didn't want to have to 1. argue about it while trying to rent and 2. end up having to go through some crazy claims process when we got back home.

We did not drive/park in Dublin. We had flown into Dublin and used public transport (the bus/rail pass) to enjoy our stay there before going back to the airport to rent the car. Straight from airport to the equivalent of an interstate out west.

It was fine. Driving on the opposite side of the road was surprisingly easy to get used to, although I did have to constantly verbally say "left lane, left lane" every time we hit a roundabout or turn. Once you're headed west on the motorway it looks like you're driving through east Tennessee/western Virginia. Not a lot to see, straight shot across the country.

There were a few times once we got closer to the Cliffs where the roads were a bit on the small side with cars parked on the side, but hey, that's part of the adventure right? And knowing we had their insurance made it better. They also included a WiFi hotspot (a portable one, not just in the car) which was absolutely clutch because we could just use Google Maps on our phones. Even FaceTimed our parents from the Cliffs.

Sure you can get from western Ireland to Dublin in a few hours in order to make your flight but... I always play the what if game. What if there's a pileup on the motorway, what if we get a flat tire or there's a problem with the car, what if it takes a long time to check in the car at the car rental because, well, lack of a sense of urgency? That seems like a stressful way to end the trip, trying to get back to Dublin in order to make it in time. I'd much rather plan my trip differently so the last night was in Dublin, allow you to have a nice transition to the airport, not have to worry about the length of time through security, etc.

SaveStrong

Post by SaveStrong » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:07 am

Enjoy the trip - hope you have a great time! We spent 14days in Ireland this past March with our 4yo - it was wonderful though my least favorite sights were the cities (Dublin and Galway). We drove a semi-circle from Dublin clockwise to Galway and back to Dublin.

Glendalough/Wicklow is a nice small area right outside of Dublin that’s worth a visit. If you’re doing the Ring of Kerry you might as well stop at Killarney national park. That could be a day there. Similarly if you go north for Cliffs of Moor night as well include a stop for the Burren. Those three things could easily fill up the extra days.

The towns are small and there’s not a whole lot to see (compared to other euro cities) but I still wouldn’t rush it. Have everyone pick a few “must see” things and make sure to hit those at a more leisurely pace instead of cramming everything in.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:25 am

hmw wrote:
We will be vacationing in Ireland for 8 days in July. We have a 8-year old.

I have read some chapters from Rick Steve's book and Fodor's. We will be flying in and out of Dublin. Planning to stay in Dublin for 3 nights/2 full days before driving to the Southwest part of Ireland in a rental car. This is our first time in Ireland. I have booked hotel in Dublin and the rental car.

We are thinking of doing the Ring of Kerry. I figure that it will take 2-3 days. This leaves me with another 1-2 days to spend in the west of Ireland. Any suggestions? Any things fun for a 8-year old?

Related question: how much cash should I withdraw at Dublin airport on arrival? 200 to 300 euros?

Thanks
I went to ireland last year and we too rented.

Im uncertain about the ring. Its a trip out of the way and pretty extensive. If youre stuck or have issues it might be hard. Also, on a short trip there are many other sites and things to see.

Others can ansr the questions but ur chip reader will be fine.

Dublin is largely walkable if your hotel is in the city-which i would recommend. You shouldnt need a taxi but having a kid might change that desire.

Frankly i think the advice about using your card to withdraw money Passe. My wife and i used our bank here and got very favorable terms and avoided the transaction cost associated with using a card.

If you do use a card make sure its ur debit card not a credit card so you dont pay a hefty withdrawl fee. In which case know your pin! If you dont, get a new one!

Cc is best for non cash purchases

We went to galway at the end of our trip- galway to ireland took 3 hrs.

I always recommend staying at the city of departure before leaving because you never know what can happen including car breakdown, road blocks etc. better to be in dublin the night before.

Ive been to 7 countries in europe now in the past 4 years so if you have more q feel free to ask.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:27 am

We went in a little different order but I was happy with this route. Keep in mind that we didn't have a kid.

Flew into Dublin and rented a car at the airport
Easy drive to Galway, where we stayed a couple of days.
Took a boat to Aran Islands, which was the best part of the trip. Amazing cliffs that you can actually stick your head over. We were first off the boat and were alone on the cliff. Amazing.

Took the scenic route to Dingle(stopped at Cliffs of Moher) and stayed 3 nights. Used Dingle as a base for exploring. I preferred Dingle over Galway.

We stayed at some other place on the way back to Dublin but if I had to do it again, I'd just drive from Dingle to Dunblin. We then spent 3 days in Dublin, which was enough.

Jayhawk11

Post by Jayhawk11 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:29 am

You're going to love it - went a few years ago and it was spectacular.

Agree that I found the cities a lot less interesting than the country.

I might suggest one attraction which is near but outside of Dublin: https://www.newgrange.com/ Very easy to get in and out, just a 2 hour time commitment, and totally mindblowing.

I'd also suggest staying in Doolin and hiking the Cliffs of Moher.

Have fun.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:54 am

• Assign navigation duties to front seat passenger
  • Renting car as you exit Dublin is a good idea
  • Ring of Kerry will be super busy and choked with busses in July. It is nice but there are lots of places with nice scenery in Ireland.
  • look at Westport as a good family option
  • driving to Dublin the same day as your departure should be fine

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 am

I'll second the suggestion to leave LOTS of time at the airport before your flight. Coming back from Ireland you'll clear US Customs and Immigration in Dublin. The lines are long and slow, and if one of your party is randomly selected for extra screening... good luck....

We got their 4 hours ahead on a summer day, and barely made our flight as line was 2+ hours, but our son got elected for extra screening... an additional 90 minutes

The drive over to Dublin from the west is not bad, a nice freeway from Galway over to Dublin... but a wreck or some other issue and you're in trouble time wise

Mike

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 am

One thing I failed to mention. The driving on their highways is easy and great. Driving in the rural areas can be very dicey. Get the smallest car you can fit in. Roads are very narrow and there are times where you have cliffs on one side and stone on the other.

Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 am

OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions

We will be arriving at Dublin airport Saturday pm and plan to take a taxi to our hotel. We will be staying at Conrad which seems to be within walking distance of most tourist attractions. Will take a taxi back to the airport on Tuesday am to pick up our rental car. I booked an automatic with no-deductible car insurance. Will be renting a small car (Ford Focus) to make driving/parking easier. I am a little apprehensive about driving in Ireland having never driven on the left side of the road.

We don’t have a stand alone GPS like Garmin. Plan to use google maps on our phones. I already downloaded Ireland map to my phone. We use Cricket so no roaming in Ireland. Should I buy a SIM card at the airport on arrival? My wife is thinking of buy a pocket WiFi.

We don’t have a firm plan as where to visit after picking up our car rental. A number of BHs seems to think that the ring of Kerry is overrated or not worth the trouble. We don’t plan to do any serious hiking. We are non-drinkers. Think we will enjoy natural sceneries. What would be your suggestions for first time visitors to Ireland?

Since we don’t have a firm plan yet outside of Dublin, I haven’t booked any hotels yet. Just wondering if I can just book hotel as I go along (July is the high season) to maximize flexibility, or should I try to book hotel as early as I can?

Will US-issued credit card work at Irish gas stations? Do I need cash?

Thanks

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:28 am

We did a similar trip a few years ago. We went to the Irish National Stud (horses), Rock of Cashel (just o.k.), Cahir (cool castle), Galway, Connemara, and Westport. The Galway-connemara-Westport part was my favorite. Also went to Newgrange which was really cool.

MtS1979

Post by MtS1979 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:59 am

TLC1957 mentioned that a benefit that Scotland has over Ireland: no toll roads. Ireland does have quite a few of them and all are the major motorways into the country. Check the official website of E-toll.ie for a map.

I mention it, because one toll road sticks out in particular: the M50 barrier free toll road around Dublin. The M50 toll is the only toll road without actual toll barriers. You can pay online (and you should) until a day after. It's not a big payment (€3 something) but failing to pay will result in a fine, paid through your rental contract.

My own experience with Ireland (work and leisure) is that the country is concentrated around the big cities (more than 10% of the citizens of Ireland live in Dublin).
In Dublin there is a lot to do and see. Your 8-year old might like the Viking history of Dublin. You mention that you're non-drinkers, but imho going to Dublin should include Guinness Storehouse Brewery. If only for the view over Dublin at the end of the tour.

We still have Powerscourt on our list, and the only reason, we haven't been, there is lack of time.

I loved driving around in the Irish countryside, taking scenic routes instead of motorways. You can encounter sheep herds crossing the roads :)
Driving itself is not a big thing, unless you've never been in a larger city with a car. As a continental European (left-hand) I have never found it difficult to drive a manual, right-hand car. With an automatic it is even easier. Drive while keeping the steering wheel more or less in the center of your lane. Keep in mind the speed signs are in kph and not mph. Your rental car may have dual speedometer, so this may be confusing.
I don't know if they've changed it by now, but a few years ago roads between cities (connecting roads) would have 100kph signs. And the road itself wouldn't allow anything over 40kph.

Creditcards like Visa and Mastercard are very common, but you'll find that other cards are not being accepted everywhere (Amex, Discovery, Diners Club)

Driving from Galway to Dublin, on a Sunday morning in 3 hours, shouldn't be a big issue if you go on the M6-M4 and probably only bad luck will stop you reaching the airport in time. However we always stayed somewhere in Dublin the last night before a flight, to prevent having to rush in the morning.

kacon85

Post by kacon85 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:58 am

Would suggest “three ireland” SIM card deal with unlimited data talk and text for 20euro for 28days. I Used this with google maps on trip throughout ireland in April. Just drop in one if the stores and they will install sim for you. They have a store in main shopping area in Dublin (Grafton Street). >>>Note you get a local Irish number so you won’t be getting ur us number txts and phone calls.

As mentioned above - relying on google maps will take you down some very narrow roads off the main highways. In hind sight it was an adventure —though it felt different at the time.

Enjoy :sharebeer

======
We don’t have a stand alone GPS like Garmin. Plan to use google maps on our phones. I already downloaded Ireland map to my phone. We use Cricket so no roaming in Ireland. Should I buy a SIM card at the airport on arrival? My wife is thinking of buy a pocket WiFi.

================•=•===========

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 am

Went to Ireland in the late 1980s, so a lot may have changed.
Renting (hiring) a car: drivers side is the right, and you drive on the left side of the road, and manual transmission was all that was available. Many if not all roads had a stone wall right up to the edge of the road on one side; occasionally on both sides. Roads were not very wide, and cars were not very big. Not a lot of fun for the driver.

Spent one night in a Bed and Breakfast in Kinsale, south coast. Beautiful.

When we went from Dublin to Galway, we took the train.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 am
Went to Ireland in the late 1980s, so a lot may have changed.
Many if not all roads had a stone wall right up to the edge of the road on one side; occasionally on both sides. Roads were not very wide, and cars were not very big. Not a lot of fun for the driver.
Still the same my wife was not happy with the walls on the edge of the road. The buses are the most fun when they come over the line and you have no where to go with the wall on the left.

OP

We had no problem getting gas with a credit card the stations we stopped at you did not pay at the pump, you had to go in and pay the cashier.

On motor ways the left lane is the slow lane, the right is the passing lane. The speed limit signs just have a number on them nothing else given in the USA which states “speed limit” on the sign. On the motorway they do not post the speed limit on the motorway they only are posted as you come onto the motorway and are trying to merge!!

We purchased a SIM card for my iPhone as we had Cricket too once we got in the country. Sometimes we had google maps and the Garmin running at the same time, the Garmin was so much better. Google maps would say go east on the road, we had no idea what direction we were going, especially when in a roundabout! Where the Garmin gave you a blue line to follow.

The Dublin airport is a $50-60 euro taxi ride one way so plan accordingly. We stayed at The Schoolhouse Hotel in Dublin to give you an idea.
Last edited by TLC1957 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm

k3vb0t wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 am
Cliffs of Moher if you're going out west toward Galway. There's another cliff I believe north of that that is less populated and even better views, but I can't recall the name -- we didn't do it.
Most Spectacular Cliffs of Kerry I think. We went in March and were the only people at the "Most Spectacular Cliffs of Kerry." Amazing and yes better than Cliff of Moher. We really enjoyed the Ring of Kerry but I think summer is more busy and another posted commented how difficult it was. Beautiful driving.

National Park of Kilarney amazing too. Galway yes.

Don't forget to kiss the Blarney Stone:)

Honesty, Ireland was our favorite trip but this was when we were DINKS. Not sure how having a 8 year old would change things.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:46 pm

DUB is well served from the city center by bus, and there's not a big time penalty.

https://www.dublinairport.com/to-from-t ... ort/by-bus

Strongly agree with the advice about the car -- get the smallest car you can, and resist efforts by the agent at the airport to upgrade you to a SUV.

kellyfj

Post by kellyfj » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:51 pm

My kids (Boy now 12, Girl now 14) have been going back with me every 2 years since they were born (I was born in Ireland and emigrated to USA in 1990s)

My advice for an 8 year old is to consider

In or Near Dublin
1) Tayto Park http://www.taytopark.ie/
2) Newgrange https://www.newgrange.com/
3) Dublinia - Viking Dublin https://www.dublinia.ie/
4) Their open top buses (when it's NOT raining are awesome) https://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/

My kids love those kinds of activities - outside of Dublin there's not so much for kids but the scenery is gorgeous and the food is good and sometimes that plus family is all an 8 year old kid needs

Have fun!

Frank

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:18 pm

The Little Dublin Museum is nice - small 45 minute tour, but it's cheap and interesting.

Irish Breakfast is pretty good! Our hotel breakfast buffet was delicious.

Skip the Guinness tour if at all you were thinking about it. Too crowded and nothing special at all.

Have fun!

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:21 am
2. Make sure you bring your GPS with you, using google maps was not as helpful as our gps particularly at the MANY roundabouts you will encounter. The Garmin gps indicated which turn to make when entering a roundabout with many have 4 options as to where to turn. They have roundabout every mile or so even on major highways you will encounter them.
If you have the Google Maps app on your phone, you can download the entire map for the area you will be traveling. The map will be resident on your phone and can be used offline. We used it recently in Europe and it worked amazingly well and it didn’t have to constantly ping the mothership...

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 pm

Since we don’t have a firm plan yet outside of Dublin, I haven’t booked any hotels yet. Just wondering if I can just book hotel as I go along (July is the high season) to maximize flexibility, or should I try to book hotel as early as I can?
I would try and figure out major places you wanted to be (Galway, etc) and book hotel/B&B in advance... trying to book on the fly in high season may be great... or may not. From a central place like Galway you can then head out in several directions and have a base to work from

Aran Islands are a nice day trip

For navigation we used the HERE app, you can download in advance and use without cell or Wifi, it worked pretty well for us in Ireland.

Mike

k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:20 pm

coupleofcents wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm
k3vb0t wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 am
Most Spectacular Cliffs of Kerry I think. We went in March and were the only people at the "Most Spectacular Cliffs of Kerry." Amazing and yes better than Cliff of Moher. We really enjoyed the Ring of Kerry but I think summer is more busy and another posted commented how difficult it was. Beautiful driving.
I've been Googling to try and figure out what I read... closest I've found is the Slieve League in County Donegal. Still not convinced that's the thing I read that one time long ago, but ... guess I'll just have to go back and find it myself :)