Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:59 pm

I've just started to play pickleball with the local Rec Department. Three sessions in, and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm fortunate that the leader is a nice guy, very patient, and teaches well. He brings the equipment for those of us who are new to the sport. I'm pretty sure now that I'll continue playing - both through the summer and indoors in the winter.

So now, I'd like to purchase my own paddle.

Anyone with paddleball experience
- what features should a beginner look for?
- what paddle would you recommend?

I'll ask the instructor, too. But I'd like to hear personal experiences, too.

rj342
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by rj342 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Huh. Never heard of it, just googled.

Looks interesting as a less strenuous knee-friendly pseudo tennis -- while not as lame as badminton :P

User avatar
Duckie
Posts: 6669
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:55 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Duckie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:06 pm

JoeRetire wrote:I've just started to play pickleball with the local Rec Department.
<snip>
I'd like to purchase my own paddle.
Pickleball Paddles: Read This Before You Buy Your Next Paddle

livesoft
Posts: 66918
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Just buy a used paddle from the guy who has all the paddles. I guess I don't understand why you don't get your pickleball advice from him. Sure, you said you were going to ask him, but you might as well ask everybody that you play with and those that have given up the sport, too. They likely have a something to sell.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

mauwong
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by mauwong » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm

I started playing pickleball January this year and bought three paddles so far: one wooden which I immediately regretted due to its heavy weight and the other two have polymer core and graphite face which are lighter at less than 8oz. Though one of the polymer paddle is only 7.7oz, it feels heavier because it's head heavy and tires my arm after playing a while. The 2nd polymer paddle is more balanced and lighter which suits me better.

Moral of the story, you have to try different paddles to find out what suits you. Otherwise it would be pretty much trial and error. Try various paddles by asking the other players. I find the pickleball community a friendly bunch and more than happy to show off their paddles.

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:10 pm
Just buy a used paddle from the guy who has all the paddles. I guess I don't understand why you don't get your pickleball advice from him.
The guy with all the paddles works for the rec department and isn't selling them.

I thought perhaps folks here would have gone through the same learning and could share their experiences - just the way they do with other issues, even though they could be talking to a professional instead. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:52 pm

mauwong wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm
I started playing pickleball January this year and bought three paddles so far: one wooden which I immediately regretted due to its heavy weight and the other two have polymer core and graphite face which are lighter at less than 8oz. Though one of the polymer paddle is only 7.7oz, it feels heavier because it's head heavy and tires my arm after playing a while. The 2nd polymer paddle is more balanced and lighter which suits me better.

Moral of the story, you have to try different paddles to find out what suits you. Otherwise it would be pretty much trial and error. Try various paddles by asking the other players. I find the pickleball community a friendly bunch and more than happy to show off their paddles.
Thank you! Weight and balance make a lot of sense to look for.

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Duckie wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:06 pm
JoeRetire wrote:I've just started to play pickleball with the local Rec Department.
<snip>
I'd like to purchase my own paddle.
Pickleball Paddles: Read This Before You Buy Your Next Paddle
Thanks! Interesting site.

utvolfan
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by utvolfan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Shop through pickleballcentral.org and ask them for recommendations. When you purchase from them you can return the paddle for a different one within 30days if you don’t like it. I started playing last fall. I have the paddle tek Tempest Wave and the Onix Z-25. First one is better for touch. The second has more drive. Like them both. Enjoy!

runner3081
Posts: 2173
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:44 pm

I play pretty frequently and like my polymer core paddle.

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

utvolfan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 pm
Shop through pickleballcentral.org and ask them for recommendations. When you purchase from them you can return the paddle for a different one within 30days if you don’t like it. I started playing last fall. I have the paddle tek Tempest Wave and the Onix Z-25. First one is better for touch. The second has more drive. Like them both. Enjoy!
Thanks! Looks like a good site.

michaelingp
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by michaelingp » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 pm

utvolfan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 pm
When you purchase from them you can return the paddle for a different one within 30days if you don’t like it.
Actually, you can return for any reason (you pay the return shipping) and you don't have to buy another from them.

Another possibility is a demo program from a local shop (if you have one, we don't) or https://www.totalpickleball.com/, which has a demo program (free, but you pay shipping both ways). The only caveat with Total Pickleball demos is you only get one week, which might not be enough to tell if you like the paddle, depending on how often you play.

You may find that other players are happy to let you play with their paddles to get a feel for what you like. A lot of players where I play (including me) have the Onix Z5 Graphite, so if you believe in crowd sourcing... It's a high quality mid-weight paddle.

User avatar
Elric
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Elric » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:33 pm

utvolfan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 pm
Shop through pickleballcentral.org and ask them for recommendations. When you purchase from them you can return the paddle for a different one within 30days if you don’t like it. I started playing last fall. I have the paddle tek Tempest Wave and the Onix Z-25. First one is better for touch. The second has more drive. Like them both. Enjoy!
I believe you meant pickleballcentral.com, not .org. Do shop around. I see that pickleball central wants $110 for the Gamma RZR, I paid less than $90, although some of the savings is because our instructor gets a discount and passes it along. My wife chose one of the Paddletek ones, I forget which model.

My wife and I just started this spring and bought paddles a couple of weeks ago (so this is advice from a newbie passing along what I've learned so far). We were able to try a number of different ones through our instructor. As you've found out, you DON'T want the wooden ones. They are cheap, but not good value. Nor do you need a super-expensive one (which you probably already knew). The two biggest factors are weight (lightweight, medium, and heavyweight) and grip size. There's a bunch online on the pros and cons of various weights, including the site an earlier poster mentioned. You can always add grip tape (same as tennis grip tape) to make a small grip just a little larger, but you can't shrink a grip that's too large for your hand.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that while there are dozens and dozens of paddles and it's all very confusing,it's like fine tuning your investments when you have more money than you need. There may be some really bad choices, but there are tons of perfectly adequate ones. If you miss a shot, it's more likely you, not the paddle! :D
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

michaelingp
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by michaelingp » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 pm

rj342 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Looks interesting as a less strenuous knee-friendly pseudo tennis -- while not as lame as badminton :P
It's much more of a social game than tennis. With tennis, you and your partner (or foursome) arrange a time, go to a court and play together, then go home.

In most areas of the country, with pickleball, the rec center has a set time slot (say 2.5 hours) and maybe 30 people show up to share, say, 3 or 4 courts. They almost always play doubles (singles pickleball is a very difficult game) and switch partners and opponents after every game. As a result, a pickleball community (and culture) grows which I think is very rare in tennis (or any other game except, maybe, pickup basketball). In most places I've played (and heard of), the average age of the pickleball players is probably around 60.

Another interesting aspect of the sport which I think distinguishes it from all others is the role of Pickleball Ambassadors. These are volunteers (usually, but not always, coaches) who get assigned to a specific area (say a county) and work to promote the sport with rec centers, local government and players.

I'm not sure about knee-friendly. There are a fair number of injuries, mainly from falls, which is not surprising given the age group. There's a lot of fast movement which is tough on elbows, shoulders, and knees. It's surprisingly a lot like ping pong, actually.

User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 29546
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 pm

II started out with a paddle from Dick's Sporting Goods for around $65. Then I had my paddles custom made in Canada at a reasonable price ($125). You pick the edge color (I chose green for all of mine), thickness (light or heavy, thick or thin) and the handle size.'

I have three (two thin and one thick) and a couple of different handle sizes. Obviously, since I have three, I love playing with them and think they're great. Here's a link to mine.

http://premiumpickleball.com/premium-pi ... singleton/
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Wings5
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Wings5 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm

No recommendations, just an internet hi-five to the pickleball players on the forum. When we go to our local municipal rec center, I love seeing people playing pickleball. We play in the driveway with family.

Good on you for being active, whether you're age 10-110!

rj342
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by rj342 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 pm
rj342 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Looks interesting as a less strenuous knee-friendly pseudo tennis -- while not as lame as badminton :P
It's much more of a social game than tennis. With tennis, you and your partner (or foursome) arrange a time, go to a court and play together, then go home.

In most areas of the country, with pickleball, the rec center has a set time slot (say 2.5 hours) and maybe 30 people show up to share, say, 3 or 4 courts. They almost always play doubles (singles pickleball is a very difficult game) and switch partners and opponents after every game. As a result, a pickleball community (and culture) grows which I think is very rare in tennis (or any other game except, maybe, pickup basketball). In most places I've played (and heard of), the average age of the pickleball players is probably around 60.

Another interesting aspect of the sport which I think distinguishes it from all others is the role of Pickleball Ambassadors. These are volunteers (usually, but not always, coaches) who get assigned to a specific area (say a county) and work to promote the sport with rec centers, local government and players.

I'm not sure about knee-friendly. There are a fair number of injuries, mainly from falls, which is not surprising given the age group. There's a lot of fast movement which is tough on elbows, shoulders, and knees. It's surprisingly a lot like ping pong, actually.
Thanks for the inside scoop.

stuper1
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Pickleball is a fabulous sport for all ages and skill levels. You can learn how to play in 10 minutes, but I know that I will never master it. I know people in their 20's who are very fit and athletic who love pickleball, and I know people in their 70's and 80's who are a lot slower, but they love it too. Most people just play for fun, but if you want to play tournaments, you can play almost every weekend within a few hundred miles of where I live.

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by WhyNotUs » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:50 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:10 pm
Just buy a used paddle from the guy who has all the paddles. I guess I don't understand why you don't get your pickleball advice from him. Sure, you said you were going to ask him, but you might as well ask everybody that you play with and those that have given up the sport, too. They likely have a something to sell.
+1, that is why Paddletek or whoever provided demos. It is more important that it feels good in your hand and that it is softer or harder to suit your skills. Your first paddle will probably not be your last so as long as the grip size and touch work for you then you will be fine. Skill development will make a bigger difference at first, then game strategy, and then a paddle change might make a difference (or not).

If you do buy from PB Central, see if your local club can give you the club #, that could save you a few bucks and provide the club with credits.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 29546
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:21 am

Wings5 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm
No recommendations, just an internet hi-five to the pickleball players on the forum. When we go to our local municipal rec center, I love seeing people playing pickleball. We play in the driveway with family.

Good on you for being active, whether you're age 10-110!
We're fortunate that we don't have to play in the driveway. We initially had four courts in our City. Pickleball became so popular that we added four more courts and then another two for a total of 10 courts. They are constantly full with players waiting.

Life is good. 😎
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 am

michaelingp wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 pm
A lot of players where I play (including me) have the Onix Z5 Graphite, so if you believe in crowd sourcing... It's a high quality mid-weight paddle.
Thanks!

Seems rather pricey and a bit heavy, no?
Are these players beginners?

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:52 am

michaelingp wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 pm
It's much more of a social game than tennis.
After just playing a few times, that aspect stands out to me. Much more "friendly" than tennis was.
I'm not sure about knee-friendly. There are a fair number of injuries, mainly from falls, which is not surprising given the age group. There's a lot of fast movement which is tough on elbows, shoulders, and knees. It's surprisingly a lot like ping pong, actually.
LOL! The very first thing our instructor told us was "don't fall"!

For me at least, it's much easier on the joints. I just can't do tennis any more. But so far, so good with pickleball. Good exercise though!

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 pm
II started out with a paddle from Dick's Sporting Goods for around $65. Then I had my paddles custom made in Canada at a reasonable price ($125). You pick the edge color (I chose green for all of mine), thickness (light or heavy, thick or thin) and the handle size.'

I have three (two thin and one thick) and a couple of different handle sizes. Obviously, since I have three, I love playing with them and think they're great. Here's a link to mine.

http://premiumpickleball.com/premium-pi ... singleton/
Custom made? Nice!

Do you find a big difference between the custom paddles and off-the-shelf versions? I'm guessing for beginners it wouldn't matter much?

Thanks!

michaelingp
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by michaelingp » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:42 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 am
michaelingp wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 pm
A lot of players where I play (including me) have the Onix Z5 Graphite, so if you believe in crowd sourcing... It's a high quality mid-weight paddle.
Thanks!

Seems rather pricey and a bit heavy, no?
Are these players beginners?
Mine is 8.0 oz, so I wouldn't say particularly heavy. I'd also say it's about the middle of the price range with a lot of newer paddles coming in at $125 to $150. For a manufactured product, I'm surprised how variable different examples of the same paddle can be, definitely a range of 0.5 oz for the exact same model.

Yes, the players I'm referring to are mostly beginners to beginner/intermediate, folks with under 2 years experience, average age 60.

I'm actually thinking of going to a heavier paddle. I played yesterday with my old Upstreet paddle which is 9 oz, and it seemed to give me more power, albeit taxing my arm a bit. But that's just me. Among the people I play with, I'm the one with the soft touch. Since a lot of beginners are "bangers", I thought the heavier paddle also allowed me to block shots better. Of course my first few serves went flying out of bounds, which brings up a point that you can pretty much adjust to whatever paddle you have.

User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 29546
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 am
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 pm
II started out with a paddle from Dick's Sporting Goods for around $65. Then I had my paddles custom made in Canada at a reasonable price ($125). You pick the edge color (I chose green for all of mine), thickness (light or heavy, thick or thin) and the handle size.'

I have three (two thin and one thick) and a couple of different handle sizes. Obviously, since I have three, I love playing with them and think they're great. Here's a link to mine.

http://premiumpickleball.com/premium-pi ... singleton/
Custom made? Nice!

Do you find a big difference between the custom paddles and off-the-shelf versions? I'm guessing for beginners it wouldn't matter much?

Thanks!
I'm pretty fast and can get to a lot of shots that others might not get to, so I really liked the extra length of those custom paddles. While you do sacrifice some width in exchange for the extra length, the tradeoff really worked well for me.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:20 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm
I'm pretty fast and can get to a lot of shots that others might not get to, so I really liked the extra length of those custom paddles. While you do sacrifice some width in exchange for the extra length, the tradeoff really worked well for me.
Is there a standard for area on the paddle surface? Is that why you must trade width for length?

pgi
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:35 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by pgi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:40 am

If you are serious at all about playing then I'd look at Paddletek, Selkirk, and Engage paddles.
Two all around paddles to consider...
1. https://www.paddletek.com/products/temp ... 5502728271
2.https://www.selkirk.com/amped-s2-lightweight
The paddletek seems to be able to provide a bit more softer, controlled shot than the Selkirk in my hands. YMMV
I did have a Selkirk that started to break down around the edges after a couple years and Selkirk replaced it w/o a hassle.

Favorite all time paddle...
https://engagepickleball.com/collection ... ntrol-spin
Similar to the Paddletek but has a slight heavier feel toward top of paddle.
The Paddletek and Engage paddles are paddles you could use thru out your skill progression and not have to worry about 'upgrading'.

The other thing to consider are your shoes, especially if you plan on spending time playing outdoors on concrete. Get shoes with wide toe box and flat like court or volleyball shoes with a good amount of padding, gel, and arch support. Ask me how I know :annoyed (my poor choice led to torn ligament in foot and metatarsalgia and 6 months not playing).

Best of luck in your paddle search!

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:37 am

pgi wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:40 am
If you are serious at all about playing then I'd look at Paddletek, Selkirk, and Engage paddles.
Two all around paddles to consider...
1. https://www.paddletek.com/products/temp ... 5502728271
2.https://www.selkirk.com/amped-s2-lightweight
The paddletek seems to be able to provide a bit more softer, controlled shot than the Selkirk in my hands. YMMV
I did have a Selkirk that started to break down around the edges after a couple years and Selkirk replaced it w/o a hassle.

Favorite all time paddle...
https://engagepickleball.com/collection ... ntrol-spin
Similar to the Paddletek but has a slight heavier feel toward top of paddle.
The Paddletek and Engage paddles are paddles you could use thru out your skill progression and not have to worry about 'upgrading'.

The other thing to consider are your shoes, especially if you plan on spending time playing outdoors on concrete. Get shoes with wide toe box and flat like court or volleyball shoes with a good amount of padding, gel, and arch support. Ask me how I know :annoyed (my poor choice led to torn ligament in foot and metatarsalgia and 6 months not playing).

Best of luck in your paddle search!
Thanks!

And thanks for the advice about shoes. I'm currently using running shoes and certainly need something flatter.

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:48 am

There is a maximum total surface area.

JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:20 am
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm
I'm pretty fast and can get to a lot of shots that others might not get to, so I really liked the extra length of those custom paddles. While you do sacrifice some width in exchange for the extra length, the tradeoff really worked well for me.
Is there a standard for area on the paddle surface? Is that why you must trade width for length?
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 29546
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:20 am
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm
I'm pretty fast and can get to a lot of shots that others might not get to, so I really liked the extra length of those custom paddles. While you do sacrifice some width in exchange for the extra length, the tradeoff really worked well for me.
Is there a standard for area on the paddle surface? Is that why you must trade width for length?

Yep, that the reason for the tradeoff.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

User avatar
Elric
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Elric » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Good guide on paddles, including a simple chart of over 80 paddles: https://www.pickleballcentral.com/Pickl ... addlechart
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

User avatar
Socrates
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Margaritaville

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Socrates » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Former college tennis player here....who loves the idea of pickleball

always try different rackets in practice or in play before buying one

you can borrow them from others or rent them from a pro shop. Note grip size, weight, head size (applies to tennis), etc.

Pick the one that you like not based on what others sat.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4363
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by joe8d » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Wish I could play, but have a balance problem.
All the Best, | Joe

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Elric wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 pm
Good guide on paddles, including a simple chart of over 80 paddles: https://www.pickleballcentral.com/Pickl ... addlechart
Great chart - thanks!

How do you choose between composite and graphite? Does it matter much?

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:32 pm

I currently play with an Atomic Gamma paddle which I like because it fits my particular level of fitness, strength, and specific style of play. I prefer a slightly heavier, very solid paddle.

Different paddles can vary a lot in terms of feel and the way they play - weight, balance, flexibility, sound, and surface texture all make a difference even though most paddles look very similar.

Personally I'd recommend starting with a highly rated paddle, maybe in the 50-60 dollar range, something like a Paddletek Phoenix Pro Pickleball Paddle. Then over time as your skill level increases ask to try other people's paddles while you are playing. Most players will be happy to let you use their paddle for a game to try it out. Trying a number of different paddles will allow you to get a feel for what works best for you.

There is no right answer on paddles - even high end paddles can be terrible if they don't fit you and your style of play.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14003
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm

I find it fascinating that this is taking off among seniors. I learned 30 years ago in Junior High. It was considered a kid's game as near as I could tell at that time.

Looking through the history (https://www.thepickleballmag.com/history-of-pickleball) it looks like I was playing (in Alaska) within a couple of years of the first rule book being published.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

carolc
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:45 am
Location: New Hampshire seacoast

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by carolc » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:02 am

I’ve been playing for a few years. Go to your local sports store (buy local!) where you can find a paddle for about $100. Or borrow someone’s to see if you like it. Mine is about 8 oz. Enjoy! It’s an addictive sport!

carolc

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:35 am

Here are a couple of useful sites for new players.

www.usapa.org

www.pickleballchannel.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

bondsr4me
Posts: 1137
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:29 am

I have watched it on TV and at our local YMCA.

A few have asked me to "try it".

I am a confirmed racquetball player (>45 yrs now).

It looks a little slow to me until the last few rallies, but, that's just my perspective.

I may try it one day...but for now, I really enjoy rball.

But, if my knees or my shoulder give out, I may be forced to transition.

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:08 am

For a beginner, there is no difference. The paddle is not one of the key things when starting as long as your have a decent one (not a fan of the wooden ones as few people will end of playing that type).

Learning to get to the kitchen line, how to dink once there, when to hit harder, and foot movement will all be more important to a beginner than graphite or composite.
JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:45 pm

How do you choose between composite and graphite? Does it matter much?
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:08 am
For a beginner, there is no difference. The paddle is not one of the key things when starting as long as your have a decent one (not a fan of the wooden ones as few people will end of playing that type).

Learning to get to the kitchen line, how to dink once there, when to hit harder, and foot movement will all be more important to a beginner than graphite or composite.
Right. I'm working on all that, but want to purchase a decent paddle, since I was given a wooden one and that doesn't seem worth using.

If there's no beginner's difference between graphite and composite, that's good to know.

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by snackdog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm

We like the Wilson Surge. Lightweight, durable and accurate.

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by bengal22 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:06 pm

I started playing in February. Since then I have steadily improved and now playing with the advanced group. I haved used a $50 paddle - dragon Slayer or something along that line - at Dick's. It has more than met my needs.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:51 am

bengal22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:06 pm
I started playing in February. Since then I have steadily improved and now playing with the advanced group. I haved used a $50 paddle - dragon Slayer or something along that line - at Dick's. It has more than met my needs.
Thanks! Good to hear that a $50 paddle can take you from beginner on.

I see the Monarch Dragon Slayer Pickleball Paddle on the Dick's website. I'll have to see if they have any in stock this weekend so I can see how it feels.

Paddygirl
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 am

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by Paddygirl » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:15 am

Pickleball is great fun! Just go on Amazon and select BEST CHOICE. That is what I did and am very satisfied. 40 bucks!

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:46 am

bengal22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:06 pm
I started playing in February. Since then I have steadily improved and now playing with the advanced group. I haved used a $50 paddle - dragon Slayer or something along that line - at Dick's. It has more than met my needs.
Thanks for your suggestion! I picked one up at Dick's last night. Seems to feel good in my hand.
Also purchased some court shoes - haven't had those since my long ago tennis days. Maybe now the others won't make fun of me playing in running shoes. :)

Looking forward to playing again on Monday!

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by bengal22 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:46 am
bengal22 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:06 pm
I started playing in February. Since then I have steadily improved and now playing with the advanced group. I haved used a $50 paddle - dragon Slayer or something along that line - at Dick's. It has more than met my needs.
Thanks for your suggestion! I picked one up at Dick's last night. Seems to feel good in my hand.
Also purchased some court shoes - haven't had those since my long ago tennis days. Maybe now the others won't make fun of me playing in running shoes. :)

Looking forward to playing again on Monday!
Have fun.
Get to the kitchen as quick as you can.
Play it safe most of the time- let opponent make mistake
Hit your serve return deep and in the middle
Anticipate...move your feet.
Smile- pickleball is very social.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:21 am
Wings5 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm
No recommendations, just an internet hi-five to the pickleball players on the forum. When we go to our local municipal rec center, I love seeing people playing pickleball. We play in the driveway with family.

Good on you for being active, whether you're age 10-110!
We're fortunate that we don't have to play in the driveway. We initially had four courts in our City. Pickleball became so popular that we added four more courts and then another two for a total of 10 courts. They are constantly full with players waiting.

Life is good. 😎
Pickle ball is very popular in Florida correct?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Topic Author
JoeRetire
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 am
Have fun.
I do.
Play it safe most of the time- let opponent make mistake
This is currently my biggest problem - I try to do too much and don't yet have the skills to be as aggressive as I tend to be. I had the same problem back when I played tennis and ping-pong. Gotta be more patient.
Anticipate...move your feet.
I do need to work on this. I keep trying to remember what the instructor has told us, so my footwork isn't yet automatic.
Smile- pickleball is very social.
I like the social aspect. I walk a lot, ride bikes with my wife, etc.
But I had been looking for some exercise that was fun, social, and not too hard on the feet and knees. So far, so good!

User avatar
sleepysurf
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:59 am
Location: Florida

Re: Pickleball Paddle recommendation?

Post by sleepysurf » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:50 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 pm
... But I had been looking for some exercise that was fun, social, and not too hard on the feet and knees. So far, so good!
Hah! I'm sitting here nursing a sore left knee after recently taking up (indoor) Pickleball, and also playing Table Tennis again. For both sports I've been wearing running shoes, which I think caused the problem (twisting my knee when trying to move laterally or pivot). I'm going to rest it for a week, and get sneakers specifically for racquet sports.

Any shoe recommendations for indoor courts?
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

Post Reply