Thank you, Honda - repair story

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Thank you, Honda - repair story

Post by Triple digit golfer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm

My wife's 2016 Civic, now with 35,900 miles and purchased 3 years and 5 months ago, recently began not producing cold air when the air conditioner was turned on. We took it to the dealer where they diagnosed it as a bad A/C compressor, requiring a repair of $1,100+. The dealer worked with corporate Honda and Honda is paying $1,000 of the repair under a goodwill assistance program. They gave us a free loaner in the meantime, as it took several days for it all to play out with approvals and such.

While I was initially upset that a three year old Honda would require any repairs, I was impressed that the dealer went to bat on my behalf. I was expecting little to nothing to come of it, but since they gave us a loaner car, I figured let them keep the car as long as they need to in order to get me whatever they can covered by Honda. I was also impressed to get the call that Honda is covering the majority of the cost of the repair.

Still, it should have never broken. Next time I'm buying a Toyota.

ohai

Re: Thank you, Honda - repair story

Post by ohai » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 pm

What? Is this a common issue among Honda Civics in that year? If not, I don't think it is reasonable to base your perception of the brand on one broken thing in several years of ownership, in one sample out of thousands, which the company paid to fix (which to me, is a sign that it is unusual that this would fail).

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm
My wife's 2016 Civic, now with 35,900 miles and purchased 3 years and 5 months ago, recently began not producing cold air when the air conditioner was turned on. We took it to the dealer where they diagnosed it as a bad A/C compressor, requiring a repair of $1,100+. The dealer worked with corporate Honda and Honda is paying $1,000 of the repair under a goodwill assistance program. They gave us a free loaner in the meantime, as it took several days for it all to play out with approvals and such.

While I was initially upset that a three year old Honda would require any repairs, I was impressed that the dealer went to bat on my behalf. I was expecting little to nothing to come of it, but since they gave us a loaner car, I figured let them keep the car as long as they need to in order to get me whatever they can covered by Honda. I was also impressed to get the call that Honda is covering the majority of the cost of the repair.

If your car decisions are primarily based on maintenance and reliability then Toyota is the right choice. I like Honda a lot but they don't compare in that category.

student

Post by student » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks for the story with an outcome that is acceptable to you.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Interesting outcome.

Wonder if this Civic model & year was impacted by the infamous gas:oil dilution issue discussed in depth on this site?

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:32 pm

mortfree wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:24 pm
Interesting outcome.

Wonder if this Civic model & year was impacted by the infamous gas:oil dilution issue discussed in depth on this site?
Probably not if it doesn't have a turbo.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Honda's have poor A/C systems. Had the same problem with my Fit. Compressor went bad. It cost >$1000 to replace a few years ago and it is giving me problems again. Even GM in the 1990's were competent enough to spec a reliable A/C system.

[Content edited by Moderator Mel Lindauer]

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:56 pm

My wife's 2016 Civic, now with 35,900 miles and purchased 3 years and 5 months ago, recently began not producing cold air when the air conditioner was turned on. We took it to the dealer where they diagnosed it as a bad A/C compressor, requiring a repair of $1,100+. The dealer worked with corporate Honda and Honda is paying $1,000 of the repair under a goodwill assistance program. They gave us a free loaner in the meantime, as it took several days for it all to play out with approvals and such. ...
Was this part of a recall of 2016 Civics?
"John Bogle has changed a basic industry in the optimal direction. Of very few can this be said." ~Paul A. Samuelson

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Toyota's reputation is based upon past performance. I suggest that past performance is no indicator of current or future performance and would not find it remarkable to have such a repair on a Toyota in the first three years. What I would find remarkable is if you received better, or even equal treatment from any other dealer in that circumstance. All of that to say I'm glad things ultimately worked out for you.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:04 pm

This is a known problem with this vehicle with multiple complaints.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civ ... AC_heater/

Honda not doing you any favors really. This is probably an example of a "secret warranty":
Auto companies hate the term secret warranties. They call them policy adjustments, good will programs, service campaigns or extended warranties . But whatever they are called, they are a longstanding industry practice. When a car company has a major defect that occurs after its written warranty expires, it establishes an adjustment policy to pay for repairs rather than deal with many thousands, if not millions, of complaints on a case by case basis.
https://www.autosafety.org/secret-warranties/
Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~ John Kenneth Galbraith

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:21 am

ohai wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 pm
What? Is this a common issue among Honda Civics in that year? If not, I don't think it is reasonable to base your perception of the brand on one broken thing in several years of ownership, in one sample out of thousands, which the company paid to fix (which to me, is a sign that it is unusual that this would fail).
I also have a 2016 Honda Civic - the answer is "yes". Same issue, but mine was still in warranty when it happened. I specifically asked whether the components have been updated since manufacturing to understand whether it's likely to happen again. Sadly, they weren't.

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 am

This is the 2.0 liter engine, so no gas/oil issue.

The car was not part of a recall for this issue, although it appears there should have been one.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:52 am

Honda is not Toyota... but then again nobody is Toyota. They always have been in a class of their own. If you want to understand why, read this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Way-Manag ... way&sr=8-1

Having said that, as cars get more and more complicated and everybody else reads Toyotas playbook, a few things have happened:
1 - Toyota is not the clear undisputed by a mile quality leader it once was
2 - Honda is not the perennial #2 behind Toyota they used to be.. sometimes they slip a little
3 - Everybody else has closed the gap

The bottom line is that your situation, while annoying, is not really a huge deal and I agree with others that its not something I would switch brands over if you otherwise like the car. Even Toyota has an occasional dud (look up Toyota truck frame rust) , and if you need perfect 100.000000% reliability that simply does not exist.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:09 am

I would be thrilled if I had a major problem with my car and the manufacturer paid for almost all the repair and gave me a loaner car.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:25 am

jharkin wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:52 am
Honda is not Toyota... but then again nobody is Toyota. They always have been in a class of their own. If you want to understand why, read this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Way-Manag ... way&sr=8-1

Having said that, as cars get more and more complicated and everybody else reads Toyotas playbook, a few things have happened:
1 - Toyota is not the clear undisputed by a mile quality leader it once was
2 - Honda is not the perennial #2 behind Toyota they used to be.. sometimes they slip a little
3 - Everybody else has closed the gap

The bottom line is that your situation, while annoying, is not really a huge deal and I agree with others that its not something I would switch brands over if you otherwise like the car. Even Toyota has an occasional dud (look up Toyota truck frame rust) , and if you need perfect 100.000000% reliability that simply does not exist.
"Honda is not Toyota... but then again nobody is Toyota. They always have been in a class of their own."
I met with Shingeo Shingo and worked with his team in the late 70's - certainly a ground breaking era.
Felt strongly enough that I did have typically have Toyota cars and Hino engines in my boats as a preferred choice for many years.
But those times are now long gone and any "leads" are just about non existent.

Ed_Sandwich

Post by Ed_Sandwich » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:52 am

bradshaw1965 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 pm

If your car decisions are primarily based on maintenance and reliability then Toyota is the right choice. I like Honda a lot but they don't compare in that category.
I think they compare more closely to Toyota on reliability than any other brand... They're often mentioned in the same breath.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:12 am

Ed_Sandwich wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:52 am
bradshaw1965 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 pm

I think they compare more closely to Toyota on reliability than any other brand... They're often mentioned in the same breath.
That's the mistake. Toyota has remained number 1 while Honda has slipped. We own 2 Honda's, like their design, features and comfort but have had AC problems on both cars and their reliability rankings are only slightly above average. If reliability is your number one concern, Toyota is the way to go.

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:03 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (general comment, not actionable). See: Personal Consumer Issues
General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.