How do you approach tipping at carry-out restaurants

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Momus

Re: How do you approach tipping at carry-out restaurants

Post by Momus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:46 pm

chessknt wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:39 pm
Don't tip take out. Also don't tip delivery services like DoorDash after I learned that the company just absorbs my tip up to the amount the driver was already going to be paid for delivering it anyways (eg I pay $5 tip but driver was being paid $4.50 so it looks like I left them a 0.50 tip).
That's why you give them $1-5 cash tip instead. Door dash does steal your tip thru the app. If you cash tip, the driver gets the tip, not stolen by doorscam. Driver gets crappy pay already $5-8/delivery for 30 mins waiting on food, pick up and drop off. If your tip is not more than $4-7 (+$1 doordash base pay), the driver will never see your tip. The tip gets stolen by doordash to pay dasher minimum guarantee pay (that $5-8). Never tip thru the app if you want your dasher to make that $2 more.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Paying cash for takeout is one way to get around the credit card prompt for how much you want to tip.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:18 pm
Paying cash for takeout is one way to get around the credit card prompt for how much you want to tip.
Then I don't get my 5% back from my cc cash back :).

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Momus wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:46 pm
chessknt wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:39 pm
Don't tip take out. Also don't tip delivery services like DoorDash after I learned that the company just absorbs my tip up to the amount the driver was already going to be paid for delivering it anyways (eg I pay $5 tip but driver was being paid $4.50 so it looks like I left them a 0.50 tip).
That's why you give them $1-5 cash tip instead. Door dash does steal your tip thru the app. If you cash tip, the driver gets the tip, not stolen by doorscam. Driver gets crappy pay already $5-8/delivery for 30 mins waiting on food, pick up and drop off. If your tip is not more than $4-7 (+$1 doordash base pay), the driver will never see your tip. The tip gets stolen by doordash to pay dasher minimum guarantee pay (that $5-8). Never tip thru the app if you want your dasher to make that $2 more.
I dont carry cash anymore. I think I've withdrawn maybe $40 in 2 years in cash.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:54 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:23 pm

In other countries, restaurants pay their employees a proper wage.

Servers in many states get a base wage of $2.13 an hour, though some (not all) do end up getting minimum wage if their tips do not add up to the equivalent amount: https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

The only way to change this is via political action, so if it bothers you then I encourage you to do something meaningful about it.
You're really barking up the wrong tree here - waiting tables and bartending are some of the best ways for folks that don't have more marketable skills to make money. I waited tables at a suburban sports bar in the late 90s while finishing up college, back when a 20% tip was considered fantastic and the idea of someone paying $10 for a cocktail was laughable. Lots of meals under $10 (most expensive thing on the menu was like $18), there were regular specials for $5 pitchers, and I still typically averaged $13-15 per hour. I knew bartenders back then making $50k/year. The hours suck, but let's not act like the pay sucks. Maybe in crappy rural restaurants, but if your anywhere near a decent size city, it's not a bad way to make money.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 pm

cheesepep wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Tipping is just stupid, plain and simple. Many other countries don't tip and you still get good service. In the US, tipping is just a bribe. Don't tip and no good service? No, it should come with the meal.
I've spent a lot of time in Europe and I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Restaurant and bar service is pretty consistently inferior to the US. It's not just because servers don't have the motivation of tips - a lot of it is because when restaurants have higher labor costs, they are obviously more incented to have less staff on hand, so servers and bartenders are often spread thin. The combination of that with not having the incentive of tips to move quickly to cover the extra tables does not often equal great service.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:19 pm

yohac wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:17 pm
In general I don't tip someone who is just handing me a box or a bag. But then you have places like Outback where carryout means you have to let someone walk 20 feet to bring the bag to your car. So I usually tip about 10%. Otherwise I'm just not a good person, says American society. But 4 or 5 bucks, for at most a minute of effort, seems a little absurd.
10% sounds reasonable for take out in a table service restaurant. Often it is the server who prepares that bag before it goes anywhere. Getting the order, ensuring it is correct, packaging everything, adding accessories, etc. Then taking all of that to you. While they are doing this, they are not attending their table customers, who are theoretically paying a table service tip.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:27 pm

IMO wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 am
So to keep the replies back to "How do you approach tipping at carry-out restaurants" (can easily derail on other tipping topics):

4. Is the tip something to insure proper/higher level service? Or is it just an aspect of capitalism?
I could see tipping to ensure proper service, but not to insure anything.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 pm

{I deleted some off-topic comments. The topic is tipping at carry-out restaurants. Please stay on topic.}

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:02 pm

Typically $2-$3 tip on carry out.

yousha

Post by yousha » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:07 pm

I do not tip at carry out!

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 pm

This thread has run its course--contentious and argumentative--and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.