How do you approach tipping at carry-out restaurants

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CoastalWinds

How do you approach tipping at carry-out restaurants

Post by CoastalWinds » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Over the past 10 years, Ive noticed a pesky trend evolving. That being, the expectation of a tip before the service is rendered. Plus corollaries like the “standardized” (read: expected) amounts creeping up from 15% to 18% to 20% to 25%.

I just feel like things are getting a wee bit out of control. How do others deal with this situation?
Last edited by CoastalWinds on Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ztx

Re: How do you approach tipping at carry-out restaurants

Post by Ztx » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:43 pm

I just tip $1-$2 for carry-out.

Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Tipping is out of control. When I rarely pick up food I never tip. I don't tip when I get fast food or subway and they hand me a bag of food. Why tip for someone handing you food over a counter.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:02 pm

I don't tip if I do the task.

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:22 pm

I caved when faced with the social-engineered pressure of the ipad running the credit card, which expects you to tip. So I tip $1 at places that have that.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:34 pm

Wabbit wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:22 pm
I caved when faced with the social-engineered pressure of the ipad running the credit card, which expects you to tip. So I tip $1 at places that have that.
The iPad always has a “no tip” option and I just choose that. What, I’m supposed to give a tip for service I haven’t yet received?

9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40 pm

oxothuk wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:34 pm
Wabbit wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:22 pm
The iPad always has a “no tip” option and I just choose that. What, I’m supposed to give a tip for service I haven’t yet received?
Is it only the pre-service expectation that bothers you or is it more that you’re being asked to tip for things that you don’t consider tip worthy? For instance, once you receive your coffee or carry out order with good service, do you throw a buck in the tip jar or not?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:42 pm

Ahh, I see we are cycling through "tipping" posts again.

Take out = zero tip.

student

Post by student » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:44 pm

I do not tip on carry-out order unless the restaurant do not normally have carry-out service. See guideline from Emily Post Institute. https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:45 pm

I went to Panera near end of their day. Ordered a salad after some rude people in front of me ordered. The counter help looked incredibly tired. I gave a 50% tip on a $8 salad. The gal gave me a smile and grateful thank you. Sometimes it is good to be kind.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:07 pm

The title of the thread and the OP are two different topics.

To the first topic, I don't tip carry-out places and neither should you...
Last edited by The Wizard on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attempted new signature...

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Zero, for takeout, anyplace I order at the counter, or if I am expected to clear off my table.

schachtw

Post by schachtw » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:11 pm

For take out, or fast food restaurants - no can do. I agree with previous posters, tipping is gotten way out of hand.

WingsFan4Life

Post by WingsFan4Life » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Minimum suggested tip on receipts is 18% now. I just laugh and tip 10%.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:31 pm

If it is a restaurant where most people eat in, I usually tip $1-2 if I have a take out order, since someone has to box up my food and put it in a bag for me.

I don’t tip at places like Panera or Five Guys, or the Gucci donut shop where the guy puts 6-12 donuts in a box for me.

I also ignore the “suggested tipping amounts” on the bottom of receipts and tip what I feel to be appropriate (20% for good or better service, 15% for average service, and less for subpar or unacceptable service). I’m usually pretty easy to please though. I’ve only spoken to the manager one time, and that was after we had already left, and after I had only tipped $5 on a $100+ bill. It was at a Brazilian steakhouse and we never got our drinks refilled once or our plates cleared at all, but I felt bad stiffing the people who came to our table passing out the food from the skewers.

I also tipped the full amount on the original bill after I found a long black hair (no one in my family has black hair) in my beans and rice at a Mexican place since that isn’t the server’s fault (who also didn’t have black hair). They comped my meal, but not that of my wife or three children, but I tipped on the amount of what it would have been with my meal included since our server didn’t work any less hard.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:38 pm

I never tip at such places.
I think I'll go to sleep and dream about piles of gold getting bigger and bigger and bigger. — Fred C. Dobbs

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Agree with you, tipping has gotten way out of hand. We need cultural push back on this. It's a strange US-only thing.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:28 pm

Where I live, I'm always asked, "would you like to donate $1 (or round up purchase) to [insert charity/hospital/etc]? Is this common elsewhere too?

I always reply, "no thanks."
Funding secured

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:31 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:28 pm
Where I live, I'm always asked, "would you like to donate $1 (or round up purchase) to [insert charity/hospital/etc]? Is this common elsewhere too?

I see that at grocery stores but I don't do fast food so I can't say on that.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:45 pm
I went to Panera near end of their day. Ordered a salad after some rude people in front of me ordered. The counter help looked incredibly tired. I gave a 50% tip on a $8 salad. The gal gave me a smile and grateful thank you. Sometimes it is good to be kind.
Agree. I know this is a contentious issue for many Bogleheads, but I can’t get too worked up about it. In the long run, the difference between being generous or a less generous tipper won’t materially affect me. I enjoy being generous and hope to make someone’s day a little better. Maybe that makes me a sucker, but I can live with that.

jjface

Post by jjface » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:35 pm

I carry out the tip

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:36 pm

I usually do 5% with a min of 2 and max of $10 for take out unless service is really bad like missing out stuff from the order or where it looks like food has been thrown in the bag. I think someone has made an effort and that is how the employees are paid. It is no fault of their's that the system is built as such. I believe some places even have lower minimum wages for folks working in restaurants as they are supposed to earn tips.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 pm

It's funny, these places used to have "tip jars" now its automated with the "suggested tip" or "tip amount" indicated on the the touchpad or receipt. Ugh..... My approach, no tip.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:54 pm

DanMahowny wrote:

I really dislike that and never donate that way. It's emotional blackmail, plus half the time it's to some charity one has never heard of and so hasn't checked out or may not be one one supports. (I remember the days when there was a lot of pressure at work to donate to United Way, which did not help any animal welfare charities.) It also implies $1 means nothing.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:56 pm

buhlaxtus wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 pm
Deleted reported post quoted here -mighty72
I know you’re joking, but based on the responses above, you have a point.

I like to tip because most people working in the restaurant industry that receive tips are not earning a livable wage, and so they depend on tips. They are not getting rich of your tip and laughing on their way to the bank, contrary to what the posts above would make you think.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:57 pm

I'll tip at some locally-run places, like a lunch place near my office. They're reasonably priced and very popular because the food is exceptional for the area. I'll hit the 15% button on the signature screen without a second thought.

Our go-to pizza place is priced on the high end of what's reasonable, and then has options of 0%, 20%, 25%, and 32% (!!) on their register without any way to put a custom amount. No tip here, I find that really off-putting.
Last edited by mpsz on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Usually tip 2 or 3 dollars at fancy restaurants like Ponderosa or Pizza Hut. Usually don’t tip at McDonald’s.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Take out? No tip.

My boss doesn't tip me for each expected task I complete.

I avoid restaurants that attempt to guilt one into tips for take out.

Godot

Post by Godot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:13 pm

DanMahowny wrote:

Grocery stores like Safeway do this in my town as well. It's a form of guilt tripping, donation shaming, what have you. I am surprised however that a chain grocery store has this as a policy.
“There is man in his entirety, blaming his shoe when his foot is guilty.” ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Godot

Post by Godot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:19 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:56 pm
buhlaxtus wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 pm

I like to tip because most people working in the restaurant industry that receive tips are not earning a livable wage, and so they depend on tips. They are not getting rich of your tip and laughing on their way to the bank, contrary to what the posts above would make you think.
I don't see any posts above that suggest that at all. On the contrary most of the anti-tipping posts here almost invariably refer to/suggest "tip creep" and the idea of entitlement that comes with it, particularly for services that previously had no expectations for tips.
“There is man in his entirety, blaming his shoe when his foot is guilty.” ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:22 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:56 pm
This.
I tip about 7-12% on takeout - whatever rounds up to the nearest whole dollar.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Godot wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:13 pm
DanMahowny wrote:

Grocery stores like Safeway do this in my town as well. It's a form of guilt tripping, donation shaming, what have you. I am surprised however that a chain grocery store has this as a policy.
My Safeway and local grocery store clearly states it goes to the children’s hospital. Rounding up to the next dollar every time.

10% on takeout from restaurants that I normally would dine at the restaurant, no tip at fast casual takeout but usually don’t go to these chains. Got burned recently, not all the food was in the bag.

Service charge for delivery plus 10% ie pizza or uber delivery.

Chuck5781

Post by Chuck5781 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Spot on.

Personally I find tipping to be a very painless way to be generous to individuals who need a little boost. I always add a couple bucks to my Panera order, and I always tip generously on my carry out orders at sit down restaurants.

Our kids worked these type jobs when they were in school, and I’ve never forgotten how much they learned about the value of pleasing a customer. By the same token, they also learned that some people aren’t in a position to be generous, dealing with challenges we will never know about, and to always treat them with respect also.

Tip away, bogleheads, and feel good about it.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Don't tip take out. Also don't tip delivery services like DoorDash after I learned that the company just absorbs my tip up to the amount the driver was already going to be paid for delivering it anyways (eg I pay $5 tip but driver was being paid $4.50 so it looks like I left them a 0.50 tip).

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:41 pm

I think the idea of carry-out restaurants is weird. The idea of eating restaurant food is to eat IN a restaurant, but that is just me...

Tipping is just stupid, plain and simple. Many other countries don't tip and you still get good service. In the US, tipping is just a bribe. Don't tip and no good service? No, it should come with the meal.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:42 pm

Chuck5781 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Spot on.

Personally I find tipping to be a very painless way to be generous to individuals who need a little boost. I always add a couple bucks to my Panera order, and I always tip generously on my carry out orders at sit down restaurants.

Our kids worked these type jobs when they were in school, and I’ve never forgotten how much they learned about the value of pleasing a customer. By the same token, they also learned that some people aren’t in a position to be generous, dealing with challenges we will never know about, and to always treat them with respect also.

Tip away, bogleheads, and feel good about it.
I worked for tips for a few years. While I didn't *expect* above average tips for the work I did, I really appreciated them. Now, I try to be as generous as I can to service providers. And to those who go above & beyond, I'm even more generous.

usagi

Post by usagi » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:47 pm

I only tip for carryout under a couple of circumstances. One when I go to upper scale establishment where they usually do not do carryout and are scrambling to accommodate me I usually tip 10-15%. Two, if I am making substitutions(which I usually do) and the person taking the order has to think about things a bit (usually $1-7 dollar range). Personally I do carryout almost 100% of the time as I hate eating in restaurants and prefer to take the food back to the hotel.

I think I ate inside a restaurant 4 times last year(with the family on vacation) and I was on the road 46 weeks of the year.
Last edited by usagi on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:50 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:42 pm
There are new Bogleheads all the time. Therefore, the common posts need repetition - tip or not, international equities or none, stocks are soaring or in free fall, etc. :happy
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:50 pm

WSJ had an article about this over the tipping via credit card terminals.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:03 pm

I never tip for take out and I never will.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:23 pm

cheesepep wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Tipping is just stupid, plain and simple. Many other countries don't tip and you still get good service. In the US, tipping is just a bribe. Don't tip and no good service? No, it should come with the meal.
In other countries, restaurants pay their employees a proper wage.

Servers in many states get a base wage of $2.13 an hour, though some (not all) do end up getting minimum wage if their tips do not add up to the equivalent amount: https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

The only way to change this is via political action, so if it bothers you then I encourage you to do something meaningful about it.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm

I've never felt guilty for not tipping at carry out places like pizza or counter serve like Panera. It's these hybrid restaurants that bug me: order at counter, someone brings food to table, I have to get my own drinks and refills at a soda fountain, but someone buses my table? My motto is if I wait in line and/or get my own drinks I don't tip.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:23 pm

In other countries, restaurants pay their employees a proper wage.

Servers in many states get a base wage of $2.13 an hour, though some (not all) do end up getting minimum wage if their tips do not add up to the equivalent amount: https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

The only way to change this is via political action, so if it bothers you then I encourage you to do something meaningful about it.
There was political action in California and the minimum tipped wage is now $11, the same as for non tipped employees at companies with 25 or fewer employees (slightly less than $12/hr for non tipped employees at companies with >25 employees). So the servers receive the minimum wage plus tips. But, the standard for tipping around where I live has actually increased from around 15 % to 20 %. So I agree tipping is getting a little out of control.

KandT

Post by KandT » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:52 pm

When I carry out two bags of food for $100 and the restaurant expects me to tip the employee? Now this is where the restaurant has somehow wormed this into societal norms. They dont pay their employee enough so I am suppose to make up the difference?

Personally, I would like to see the employee paid appropriately and then the food priced with that in. If I want to eat there I will if not I won't. It would avoid a lot of awkward situations.

I take out a lot for work and it amazes me that often I tip and the person takes the tip and then never holds the door for me as I lug it out.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 pm

There was political action in California and the minimum tipped wage is now $11, the same as for non tipped employees at companies with 25 or fewer employees (slightly less than $12/hr for non tipped employees at companies with >25 employees). So the servers receive the minimum wage plus tips. But, the standard for tipping around where I live has actually increased from around 15 % to 20 %. So I agree tipping is getting a little out of control.
Unfortunately the minimum wage is still below the living wage for many areas in California. So many people need to rely on tips. But, I agree it is a strange system.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:08 pm

runner3081 wrote:

Take out = zero tip.
Tipping Debate = Debate #11

(#1 international allocation debate; #2 mortgage payoff debate; #3 lump sum investment timing debate; #4 how many square feet of living space do I need debate; and so on). Could be robo responses.
Retired 2018 | Every day I choose how I spend my energy | One Vanguard TDF except for bunch of individual stocks...still recovering from my Fidelity AUM days years ago | Now sleeping well at night

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:09 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:57 pm
Usually tip 2 or 3 dollars at fancy restaurants like Ponderosa or Pizza Hut. Usually don’t tip at McDonald’s.
Pizza Hut is fancy?
Wowza.
So where is Capital Grille and Ruth's Chris?
Attempted new signature...

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:22 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:57 pm
Usually don’t tip at McDonald’s.
Tip at McDonald’s???
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:44 pm

Stinky wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:50 pm
runner3081 wrote:
There are new Bogleheads all the time. Therefore, the common posts need repetition - tip or not, international equities or none, stocks are soaring or in free fall, etc. :happy
I am not sure they need repetition. Searches are handy.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:45 pm

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:08 pm
runner3081 wrote:

Take out = zero tip.
Tipping Debate = Debate #11

(#1 international allocation debate; #2 mortgage payoff debate; #3 lump sum investment timing debate; #4 how many square feet of living space do I need debate; and so on). Could be robo responses.
You forgot the fix/replace car debates.