First Class Seats Domestic USA

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Smoke

First Class Seats Domestic USA

Post by Smoke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Greetings,

I have never flown first class.
I have flown economy, and have put up with the lack of comfort for the price of the ticket.

2 yrs ago I blew 2 lumbar disks, and then found out I have severe spinal stenosis lumbar.
NOT looking for any medical advise.
I can only sit in an uncomfortable seat for 10 to 30 min max.
Nice computer chair I can sit in for many hours or a recliner.

Question, how comfortable are first class seats domestic for a min of 5 hrs?
And any recommendations for other seating options?

Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

MarkerFM

Re: First Class Seats Domestic USA

Post by MarkerFM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 pm

It is highly dependent on the airline and aircraft and by your own comfort issues. You should consider taking a pillow if that helps you. I fly American in first class mostly and I always roll up the blanket and use it as a lumbar pillow.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:22 pm

As MarkerFM said, it's going to vary widely by airline and even the specific plane on the specific route. For example, some airlines have been putting in lie flat seats on certain transcontinental routes. But if you're not on the right route, you'll get a totally different seat.

There are some blogs that review first class seating, such as thepointsguy.com. You might helpful information there.

Topic Author
Smoke

Post by Smoke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Ok thanks, If it does vary widely on airline and plane type as suggested, I'll have to search each one available at the time and see what kind of seating each offers. Thanks :happy

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Personally? You get more space which may help but a standard first class AA or UA or DL domestic seat really isn't that much more comfortable than a coach seat. But you are different than me. I prefer to sit upright than to have my back reclined while my legs are flat on the floor. My parents had an old La-Z-Boy chair that you could recline without extending the footest. The back would flop back uncomfortably. If you find that bringing on a cushion or pillow helps you'd have more space for that in first class. Rightly a passenger sitting next to you would not be happy if your pillow or cushion crowded their space. If you know it will be a problem in economy it sounds like you should try it in first (or not fly).
Last edited by stan1 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Once you have narrowed down your choice, go to seatguru.com and check for the seats on your flights. They get very specific as to aircraft although the airlines have been known to switch equipment.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Ztx

Post by Ztx » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:37 pm

I recently scored inexpensive first class tickets on Alaska Airlines (surprisingly it was just one way $70 more than coach) and the seats were extremely comfortable , wide and with tons of leg room. (it was a small Embraer E75).
Not sure how to go back to coach experience now , but I won't pay "full" price for first class.. time to get into the credit card churning game :)

Topic Author
Smoke

Post by Smoke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:50 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:27 pm
Personally? You get more space which may help but a standard AA or UA or DL domestic seat really isn't that much more comfortable. But you are different than me. If you find that bringing on a cushion or pillow helps you'd have more space for that in first class. Rightly a passenger sitting next to you would not be happy if your pillow or cushion crowded their space. If you know it will be a problem in economy it sounds like you should try it in first (or not fly).
The "not flying" is only an option equal to not going.
From what I have looked at on Kayak a non stop from me at Nashville BNA to Washington State SEA, seems only available thru Delta or Alaska airlines.
No matter what date I choose months from now (plenty of time to do research)
I would hate to think I can't do it, but I may have to accept it.
The passenger sitting next to me would be my wife, she is used to me crowding her space :P
Economy is definitely not an option. Been there done that, I would never make it now.

Topic Author
Smoke

Post by Smoke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:51 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:31 pm
Once you have narrowed down your choice, go to seatguru.com and check for the seats on your flights. They get very specific as to aircraft although the airlines have been known to switch equipment.
Thank you for the link, I will check that out :happy

Topic Author
Smoke

Post by Smoke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Ztx wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:37 pm
I recently scored inexpensive first class tickets on Alaska Airlines (surprisingly it was just one way $70 more than coach) and the seats were extremely comfortable , wide and with tons of leg room. (it was a small Embraer E75).
Not sure how to go back to coach experience now , but I won't pay "full" price for first class.. time to get into the credit card churning game :)
I never did CC air miles, if I do this I may have to look into it for sure, thanks

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Smoke wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:01 pm
Greetings,

I have flown economy, and have put up with the lack of comfort for the price of the ticket.

2 yrs ago I blew 2 lumbar disks, and then found out I have severe spinal stenosis lumbar.

The seats can differ quite a bit by aircraft and also by airline. Not all airlines configure the same seating in the same airplane, etc.

Also consider asking on www.FlyerTalk.com (a bit tricky to navigate, and not as newbie-friendly as they might be sometimes, but still worth it for the info) or www.CruiseCritic.com on the "air travel" subforum area (CC can be much more user-friendly than FT, but BH beats them both for civility, so be forewarned/prepared - it *can* be worth it for the info).

Ask specifically about the flight number as well. Many of the forum participants will go into considerable detail to be helpful - IF you give them the details to start with. (And some get pretty annoyed with queries like "I'm flying from City A to City B and need help finding the most comfortable seats..." withOUT adding which airline or sometimes even class of service. There is one participant who regularly responds to these "too general" requests about specifics with something like "Please let us guess which airline" :twisted:
IF you want comparisons between airlines (without already selecting an airline/etc.), then make sure that is part of your question.

However, the help can be very significant, such as "choose X airline/flight/equipment rather than Y..."

But also beware... airlines can change equipment permanently on a certain route, or just substitute on the run due to scheduling/equipment needs at the time. In that case, any advance planning may be... "too bad", but it's not common (in our experience).

And I almost always use SeatGuru for advance planning. Sure, the equipment might change, but since it usually doesn't, then SeatGuru info is much better than throwing darts at a list of possible choices.

And to get help with "which airline equipment" to search for on SeatGuru, we tend to use the Matrix software:
https://matrix.itasoftware.com
to help select "which flight" when there are choices.

And we *definitely* use CC points for premium travel, but we do that mostly on long-haul international flights. The duration of flight is longer, and the international airlines also tend to have very nice premium seating indeed.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:12 pm

Seatguru is probably your best friend. As a gross generalization, long haul planes have better seats and more space. First/business on short haul flights is better than coach, but not by much.

One advantage to business/first class is that there’s just generally more room, and you will have some space to stand up and move around.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Oh. One more piece of advice. Be the last person to get onto the plane when it leaves. Everyone will get into a scrum to be the first on so that they can stow their carry on. Don’t be that person. Save yourself 30-40 minutes of torture. Get on last.

Also, the further forward you are in the plane, the sooner you’ll get off.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Also, "first class" seems to be going the way of the dodo bird.

More and more, "business class" (J) is the "top category", but J can be far more comfortable than economy in many cases these days, including full flat bed seating (is that an oxymoron?).
This is the case on domestic as well as international flights.

Even true "premium economy" these days can be what domestic F was not all that long ago. This is changing so fast...

But if you decide to look at "premium economy" or "comfort" seating/class, especially on domestic (USA) flights, be aware that it might be only a matter of a few (sometimes very few!) extra inches of legroom, and *no* difference in "seat" at all.
Similarly, overseas, "business" class [thinking here of intra-Euro flights, at the least] can be rows that are *identical* to economy, but with some seats blocked off, so there is less density of passengers. But the seats and leg-room are identical to the economy seating.

There might be nicer service/refreshments in the "higher class" of service, but if the seating isn't better, then that won't help you, given your needs/concerns.

Again, SeatGuru can help a lot here, absent equipment changes, etc.

RM

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:49 pm

Smoke wrote:
Greetings,

I have had progressive degenerative discs for all of my life. Several spine surgeries, screws, etc. And, have a very hard time in airports due to extended standing, carrying my backpack, and so forth. I can't sit for long and use a stand up desk in my home office. My solution for the past 5 years has been the following: (this is for flying solo without DW along).

I fly first or highest class. It costs from 2-3x the cost of economy fair.

Actionable list:

0. Have all of your precheck, TSAA checks, and all that in order. What ever the best you can get.
1. Flag down airport wheelchair service from the time you enter the airport. They will take you from there, through security, pass all the lines, help you with scanning your check in, and get you to the gate. From there, they will put you on the plane. Even if you "can" walk, save your spine and try to make the trip as easy as possible. Arriving to your destination as a cripple is no fun.
2. Carry a folding crane. You may not feel you need it but you will.
3. Do not lift "anything". When you fly lst class, they will help you with everything. Ask. Ask. Ask. Don't be shy about it.
4. *** Fly First Class, or Business, or whatever class is the best class for the airline that has the "lay flat seats". Do your research. For me, I fly to Hawaii often and the Airbuss 330something has the lay flat seats. You don't need it to be flat but in a variety of positions from up to flat that takes the weight off your spine.
*It doesn't matter what "class". .. it matters what you sit on. So "go seat shopping".
5. Once arriving, let the wheelchair service get you out of the plane and take you to curbside or baggage.
6. Streamline your luggage so you don't carry things. I travel with a small rolling carry on and a light backpack which I sit on my lap.
7. Take your meds before the flight. Whether muscle relaxants to keep away spasms and tightness, and so forth. As discussion of meds are not within forum guidelines, PM me for no medical advice.
8. Be sure to check the plane and the accommodations before you book your flight. Not all first class flights have the lay flat seats. But, nearly any first class seat is light years ahead of normal airline seating. There is just no comparison.
9. I don't know your damaged levels, but it can also help to get the best gel wheelchair pad you can find and take it everywhere you go. Put a bright pillowcase on it so you don't get up and walk away and leave it (happens often). It will help take pressure off your discs and facets. Also be able to adjust your hip angles. Same for a quality back support belt/lumbar support. Find one that works and fits your particular body. Between this and the gel cushion, you can sit on some lousy seats.
10, Keep a wad of $5 bills in your pocket to tip the wheelchair people and others that help you.

*also forgot to add, have your doctor write you a spine eval, etc, and get handicap plates on your car.

This is all about lifestyle adaptations.
It has nothing to do with the cost of a first class ticket.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It is a tough road.
good luck.
jim :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:54 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:24 pm

More and more, "business class" (J) is the "top category", but J can be far more comfortable than economy in many cases these days, including full flat bed seating (is that an oxymoron?).

Even true "premium economy" these days can be what domestic F was not all that long ago. This is changing so fast...

But if you decide to look at "premium economy" or "comfort" seating/class, especially on domestic (USA) flights, be aware that it might be only a matter of a few (sometimes very few!) extra inches of legroom, and *no* difference in "seat" at all.
Similarly, overseas, "business" class [thinking here of intra-Euro flights, at the least] can be rows that are *identical* to economy, but with some seats blocked off, so there is less density of passengers. But the seats and leg-room are identical to the economy seating.

There might be nicer service/refreshments in the "higher class" of service, but if the seating isn't better, then that won't help you, given your needs/concerns.

RM
You're right that first class on long-haul flights is disappearing, but that really has nothing to do with what OP is asking about - "first class" on domestic U.S. flights. That product really hasn't changed in decades, except in how airlines are pricing them - now it's often a modest premium over coach, to fill up the cabin with paying customers instead of upgrades. As a result, upgrades and saver award tickets on domestic first are harder to find.

With the exception of rare domestic flights that use widebody equipment that do international duty, the first class on domestic flights within the U.S. is indeed more like premium economy on international flights. In fact all three U.S. legacy carriers use the same design seats on at least some of their domestic "first" and international premium economy cabins.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:10 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:54 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:24 pm

RM
You're right that first class on long-haul flights is disappearing, but that really has nothing to do with what OP is asking about - "first class" on domestic U.S. flights. That product really hasn't changed in decades, except in how airlines are pricing them - now it's often a modest premium over coach, to fill up the cabin with paying customers instead of upgrades. As a result, upgrades and saver award tickets on domestic first are harder to find.

With the exception of rare domestic flights that use widebody equipment that do international duty, the first class on domestic flights within the U.S. is indeed more like premium economy on international flights. In fact all three U.S. legacy carriers use the same design seats on at least some of their domestic "first" and international premium economy cabins.
Sorry, but my comments certainly have a lot to do with "what OP is asking about".
For one thing, OP should focus on the types of seating, rather than what the "class" is "named" (e.g., Business or First). It's the seating that provides the comfort - or not - rather than the label.

Second, if you really think that the top premium seating on domestic flights "hasn't changed in decades", then you haven't kept quite up to date. They can offer flat bed or even "pods" that have completely flat beds, just as in some international carriers/flights.

To date, we've flown on those on United, American, and Jet Blue, starting a few years ago. In two cases, we did know in advance, and selected the seating - and specific flight - accordingly. In the other, we were just stunned when we walked on board and realized what "seats" (aka beds) we'd have.
(I don't know, and don't claim to know, which other airlines/equipment also offer those.)

RM

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:39 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:10 pm
Sorry, but my comments certainly have a lot to do with "what OP is asking about".
For one thing, OP should focus on the types of seating, rather than what the "class" is "named" (e.g., Business or First). It's the seating that provides the comfort - or not - rather than the label.

Second, if you really think that the top premium seating on domestic flights "hasn't changed in decades", then you haven't kept quite up to date. They can offer flat bed or even "pods" that have completely flat beds, just as in some international carriers/flights.

To date, we've flown on those on United, American, and Jet Blue, starting a few years ago. In two cases, we did know in advance, and selected the seating - and specific flight - accordingly. In the other, we were just stunned when we walked on board and realized what "seats" (aka beds) we'd have.
(I don't know, and don't claim to know, which other airlines/equipment also offer those.)
Um, no. Flat-beds are offered (AA, UA, Delta, JetBlue) on very, very few domestic U.S. routes: basically between SFO/LAX, and New York/Boston, and not even all of those flights. There are a few other scattered routes that sometimes get flat beds, but it's a handful of flights (e.g., Delta's route between LAX and DC's Reagan National, and some flights to Hawaii). And sometimes airlines fly international equipment on domestic routes, but then it's almost always between hubs (e.g., United's Houston-LA flights will sometimes be served by a Dreamliner.) United has some domestic 777's that have old flatbeds from their international fleet, but those rarely if ever fly to Seattle, much less to Nashville.

For the OP's query about Seattle-Nashville, there are three flights a day on Delta and Alaska. These will never have a flat bed. Delta serves it with a 737; there's not a single flat bed on a single Delta 737. Alaska has A320's on the route; some of these have more legroom (the ex-Virgin planes that haven't been retrofitted yet), but also not a single flat bed. Even by taking a connection (which would only add to the discomfort of travel) I see no practical way of getting a flat bed, flying between these two cities.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Very few domestic flights offer lie-flat seating in first class. Some transcontinental routes, some of Hawaiian Air's routes to the mainland and one-off repositioning flights of internationally-configured aircraft. E.g., United used to fly a long-haul 787 from Houston to Denver every morning because the plane continued on to Tokyo. Occasionally you see them on other hub-to-hub routes like that.

The three legacy airlines (United, Delta, American) plus JetBlue offer premium transcontinental service but not on all t-con flights. Look carefully and book via their websites directly rather than through a third-party as sites like Expedia often have wrong information. There can also be wide variations in the seat within even the same aircraft type for a given carrier. E.g., American currently flies B772 aircraft with business class seats from two different vendors and three different configurations, depending on when the plane was outfitted, but there's no way to know which config you're flying until the day-of and then only by cross-referencing the tail number (get that from FlightAware) with a spreadsheet someone created on FlyerTalk.

SeatGuru should also not be considered reliable. All these airlines offer seat maps on their websites—check those. SeatGuru has been going downhill for a while.

When it comes to the legacies, figuring out which aircraft you're on can be a headache. This is where FlyerTalk comes in. They have a thread for pretty much every possible config in the skies today. Eg: Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United B777-300ER FlyerTalkers know more about this stuff than any group on the planet, often including the airlines' own agents.

Topic Author
Smoke

Post by Smoke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Thank you everyone :sharebeer

This information went way beyond what I was anticipating, lots to research for sure.

And Thank you SandTrap, your advise is very helpful (having first hand knowledge) on how to prepare for this condition.
Stuff I never would have thought of, or my macho wouldn't have allowed me too. LOL
prior to two yrs ago I was a bull. Age 62 Lift anything move anything do anything by myself. Now age 65
Changed over night, now can't do **** still having trouble coping mentally and bodily with the change.

For others interested, no, I didn't do anything stupid, woke up one morning and bam, thats all she wrote. Age and spinal stenosis (arthritis).

Anyway, it could be worse...always.

Again thanks to everyone for the wealth of info on a subject I knew nothing about. :sharebeer

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:50 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:39 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Um, no. Flat-beds are offered (AA, UA, Delta, JetBlue) on very, very few domestic U.S. routes: basically between SFO/LAX, and New York/Boston, and not even all of those flights. There are a few other scattered routes that sometimes get flat beds, but it's a handful of flights (e.g., Delta's route between LAX and DC's Reagan National, and some flights to Hawaii). And sometimes airlines fly international equipment on domestic routes, but then it's almost always between hubs (e.g., United's Houston-LA flights will sometimes be served by a Dreamliner.) United has some domestic 777's that have old flatbeds from their international fleet, but those rarely if ever fly to Seattle, much less to Nashville.

For the OP's query about Seattle-Nashville, there are three flights a day on Delta and Alaska. These will never have a flat bed. Delta serves it with a 737; there's not a single flat bed on a single Delta 737. Alaska has A320's on the route; some of these have more legroom (the ex-Virgin planes that haven't been retrofitted yet), but also not a single flat bed. Even by taking a connection (which would only add to the discomfort of travel) I see no practical way of getting a flat bed, flying between these two cities.
OP's initial post, in it's entirety:
Smoke wrote:
Greetings,

didn't specify any particular route, but asked about "Question, how comfortable are first class seats domestic for a min of 5 hrs?"

That is what I answered.
Nowhere did I suggest that all or even many domestic flights offer true flat beds. But if it is important, they do exist, and they are becoming more frequent. One cannot search for them, if one doesn't even know they exist...

And finally, even though it might be unusual, our "best" flat bed domestic flight was on a short hop to JFK, a flight of about an hour. That was the one that truly surprised us. Yes, that flight then continued to the west coast, but we enjoyed it for about an hour.

RM

Capricorn51

Post by Capricorn51 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:40 pm

Afty wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:22 pm

There are some blogs that review first class seating, such as thepointsguy.com. You might helpful information there.
Also check https://www.seatguru.com (SeatGuru) for your particular flight

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:49 pm

If it is truly so unbearable for more than 15 minutes how do you handle driving distances longer than that?

If you have just been avoiding prolonged periods of sitting entirely for years amtrak might be your best option since a plane could hit turbulence and keep you stuck in your seat for hours.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Smoke wrote:
Greetings,

Very comfortable. I routinely fly cross country (U.S.). I only fly first class and it is definitely worth it. Get an aisle seat. You will be very happy.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Smoke wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:26 pm
Thank you everyone :sharebeer

This information went way beyond what I was anticipating, lots to research for sure.

And Thank you SandTrap, your advise is very helpful (having first hand knowledge) on how to prepare for this condition.
Stuff I never would have thought of, or my macho wouldn't have allowed me too. LOL
prior to two yrs ago I was a bull. Age 62 Lift anything move anything do anything by myself. Now age 65
Changed over night, now can't do **** still having trouble coping mentally and bodily with the change.

For others interested, no, I didn't do anything stupid, woke up one morning and bam, thats all she wrote. Age and spinal stenosis (arthritis).

Anyway, it could be worse...always.

Again thanks to everyone for the wealth of info on a subject I knew nothing about. :sharebeer
You’re welcome.
Same here. Woke up paralyzed cervical. Another time on the golf course after a beautiful drive fell down paralyzed leg. Surgeries helped. Before that I was athletic. Life happens. Adapt. Alter lifestyle. Keep smiling and winning.🌺
J🏝
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

MoeMoney

Post by MoeMoney » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear your struggle. I do not believe I have it as bad as some of the folks here but did herniate a disk in my lower back several years ago that still gives me trouble when stuck in poor seating - Airplanes are poor seating. Unfortunately for me, I travel frequently for work and they don't normally opt to spring for first class travel on anything less than 6 hours.

I get through it by using these Yoga Tune Up Balls in a mesh pouch that I nestle between the seat and my lower lumbar. They are essentially two dense foam balls just smaller than tennis balls. When I inevitably leave them somewhere, using a plastic water bottle, half full, works in a pinch. Airplane seats provide very little for the lumbar area, IMO.

First class, when I can upgrade, does provide the room to toss an ankle over a knee and provide some lower back relief and stretch a bit. Simply no room to do so in coach for a 6-foot plus person.

Best of luck.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Some other things that can be considered for those that may have spinal issues to some degree but are not flying business or first class.

So for example, on Southwest:

Have your medical provider give you a letter advising you have a medical condition requiring early boarding. Then you can board early and choose an aisle seat. That way you can easily physically get up and make a walk to and from the front to the back of the plane on occasion to give the back a break. Avoid the seats that can't be reclined unless the extra legroom with some of the emergency seats provides more relief to you.

There are also foam type of seat devices. These can provide some help for some. The letter from the medical provider can note the device is medically required and thus take up your carry-on allowance.