Suggestions for Wintering Over 2020

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Suggestions for Wintering Over 2020

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm retiring later this fall and won't start re-settling until late next spring when the warm weather returns north. Looking to make plans in the coming months.

I'll be spending the December holidays with family in Atlanta, but open after that for a few months.

Please suggest any known and pleasant watering holes....interests are hiking, live music, swimming and a bit of socializing. I'm a bit of a bohemian if that makes a difference.

Short list:

SW Florida and possibly, the Panhandle
Anywhere in the desert Southwest
Anywhere in Mexico and/or possibly Belize

Thanks!
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

quantAndHold

Re: Suggestions for Wintering Over 2020

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Austin
Marfa
Sedona
Bisbee
Santa Cruz

Also...many places in Hawaii, especially on the north side of the various islands.

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:46 pm

In Mexico: Ajijic/Lake Chapala/Guadalajara area and Oaxaca. Best wishes.

Godot

Post by Godot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:01 pm
I'm retiring later this fall and won't start re-settling until late next spring when the warm weather returns north. Looking to make plans in the coming months.

I'll be spending the December holidays with family in Atlanta, but open after that for a few months.

Please suggest any known and pleasant watering holes....interests are hiking, live music, swimming and a bit of socializing. I'm a bit of a bohemian if that makes a difference.

Short list:

Anywhere in the desert Southwest
Anywhere in Mexico and/or possibly Belize

Thanks!
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Get an RV and explore - works for anywhere you can drive.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:05 pm

A tad off from the short list.

Kailua Beach, Oahu.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:

Short list:

Most of north Florida including the panhandle will most likely not be warm enough for swimming in January/February.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:05 pm
A tad off from the short list.

Hawaii (Not Oahu)
If a picture was worth a 1000 words!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

reisner

Post by reisner » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Taos, NM

Patagonia, AZ

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:41 pm

After the New Years I would go down to the Florida Keys for a month or two to fish and boat and walk the beach and set on the beach. It is wonderful down there in mid winter. It is warm even in January. Look around now for rentals. Go to the middle keys and Key West. Then in March I would rent a place in Miami or Tampa or Orlando and go to some MLB spring training games. Then go up to Nashville for a week or two and listen to country music and then over to Memphis or down to New Orleans for a week or two more for some Jazz and Blues. These are great fun cites with great music.

Good Luck...

https://floridahikes.com/florida-keys

https://www.pinterest.com/greenasglass/ ... slamorada/

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 am

Barefootgirl wrote:

Short list:
I'm sure this isn't news, but just in case-spring in southwest (or any part of South) Florida is the peak of the top of the high season with corresponding prices for lodging. Not to mention places get booked up EARLY. Like months early. Like a lot of places are already booked now for next spring especially hidden/economical gem places to stay.

Similar to going to Europe during the summer or out west to ski during the Christmas-New Year week, this is one of those perfect matches of place and time that is consistently and reliably overwhelmed by massive hordes of people.

Everyone and their significant other is heartily sick of the winter by January and thinks heading south in the spring is a perfect idea, so you will be joining the mass exodus :wink:

TXJeff

Post by TXJeff » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 am

New Zealand

David Althaus

Post by David Althaus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:25 am

Wife and I spend winter on Hawaii's Big Island. We spent a couple winters on Florida west coast and much prefer our wonderful Big Island. Once off the long plane ride you can count on the following good stuff:
1. Exceptional weather--especially if you stay on the Kona side. Nineteen out of twenty days you will likely experience a high of 81 with high puffy clouds and a 10% chance of rain.
2. Not much traffic
3. Good restaurant selection
4. Lots to explore
5. Watch for whales
6. Feeling of safety that comes from being in the US.

I've been lots of places and the Big Island is my favorite on earth.

All the best

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:20 am

TXJeff wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 am
New Zealand
Specifically, rent a place on Waiheke Island or Coromandel Peninsula. Not super expensive, Auckland nearby for culture, Rotorua nearby for activities. Lots of choices in Coromandel for < NZ$100/night in January and February.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:35 am

Welcome to the retired world ;-) Since I retired, I have only spent time in cold places when I was visiting family. If you really like warm weather, then the only places like (or approaching) that in the winter in the US are southern Florida and Hawaii. January in Phoenix is 68/45 and Austin 61/41 ... these are not even in the ballpark for warm climate for me. I want outside patio dining in the evening weather.

This year, for something different, I got an AirBnb in Merida, Mexico (very easy to reach from Atlanta). My place is nearby a gym with a nice pool. Merida is the safest city in Mexico and many say it is the safest city in North America (although I can't agree with the latter). It's truly a wonderful winter climate (November 89/67, December 87/64, January 87/63). The beach is less than a half hour drive/Uber in Progreso. Merida is one of the colonial and cultural jewels of Mexico and there are incredible number of cool day trips including Chitchen Itza. And don't forget about the cenotes for swimming (fresh water swim holes in the limestone landscape). But there isn't much hiking (flat area).

Economically, it's amazing value and Uber is only about 40% of the US price. I know it's not for everyone .. I speak pretty good Spanish and enjoy Mexican culture, but I just wanted to throw this one out there. I also have some family and friends coming to visit, and when you have committed to dates and are paying for lodging, you will be surprised how many might say yes!

Another off the beaten path wintering location in Mexico for a few days or more is Lake Bacalar (near the Belize border), the lake of 7 colors (4 hours from Merida). It's one of the world's most beautiful places, you can search it on youtube.