Paris hotel recommendations for young family

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Arizonasun2008

Paris hotel recommendations for young family

Post by Arizonasun2008 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:40 pm

We are looking at staying in Paris for 3-4 nights. Does anyone have family friendly hotel recommendations? We will have our 5 year old and 3 year old with us. Location to sites and transportation is very important.

Utvolfan1

Re: Paris hotel recommendations for young family

Post by Utvolfan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:51 am

We stayed at the Hotel Le Littre near Montparnasse & Saint Germain des Prés in March.
It is very well situated for metro travel and quiet. The rooms are nice and simple with high quality furnishings. I would recommend booking to include the breakfast buffet which is top notch. Happy travels!

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:04 am

Arizonasun2008 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:40 pm
We are looking at staying in Paris for 3-4 nights. Does anyone have family friendly hotel recommendations? We will have our 5 year old and 3 year old with us. Location to sites and transportation is very important.
Paris is a huge city. Which sites do you want be near? You are always within ~400m of a metro station in Paris, so you can’t go wrong there, but which sites do you want to be near or which arrondissement(s) you want to be in is essential. What qualities make a hotel “family friendly” to you?
Last edited by criticalmass on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:07 am

I've never been there, just did lots of research for my family's trip.
My conclusion is to stay away from districts 9-10, and 17-20. Those districts are dangerous. There might be pockets in those districts that are less rough, but for simplicity, that's the basic guideline I followed. According to a few blogs, Saint Germain area is nice for families.

The website to use is booking.com, there you can select "Family Friendly" as an option, just pay attention to the locations.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:42 pm

We love this hotel -- https://www.delambre-paris-hotel.com/en/ -- in the northwest corner of the 14th.
Have stayed there multiple times.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hahabye

Post by hahabye » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:22 pm

www.parisperfect.com

[Paris Perfect is a short term apartment rental company in Paris- edited by Moderator Misenplace to avoid a naked link.]

Topic Author
Arizonasun2008

Post by Arizonasun2008 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Paris is a huge city. Which sites do you want be near? You are always within ~400m of a metro station in Paris, so you can’t go wrong there, but which sites do you want to be near or which arrondissement(s) you want to be in is essential. What qualities make a hotel “family friendly” to you?
[/quote]

I would just love to be close to public transportation and walkable to major sites. Family friendly to me means that there may be other families there and it’s not geared towards honeymooners.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Arizonasun2008 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:40 pm
I was just in paris in april/may.

I saw your last response. But it also depends on your budget. We stayed at the hotel brighton. 300 a night. We had a good but not spectacular breakfast for an extra 20 ea.
We were walking distance to the toilleries garden, the louvre, the orangerie, the musee d’orsay and the subways. In terms of food angelinas was next door and is a well known and famous restaurant. The hotel is on the first arrondissement and 2-3 stops on subway to everything else important.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Not sure what qualifies as family friendly, but we stayed at a lovely place, Hotel Bastille Speria, very close to the Bastille Metro stop and close to a large park. Several inexpensive cafes nearby; there was a breakfast buffet for an extra charge and our room had a small fridge.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:53 pm

My conclusion is to stay away from districts 9-10, and 17-20. Those districts are dangerous.
I think, perhaps, that your information might be out of date with regard to 9 and 10. I lived in arrondissement 9 for a while (near Sacre Couer). It used to be dangerous, but not for some years. The same for arrondissement 10, near Gare du Nord, where my son lived .

I agree that it's valuable to focus on access to the metro. It's very helpful to be near a station. Even from our station out in arr. 9, it was rarely more than 20 minutes to the typical tourist destinations. The metro is convenient, fast, and cheap - but avoid rush hour when the trains are standing-room-only!

travelspot

Post by travelspot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Last year we stayed at the Hotel Westminster which is beautiful, and in a great location in the middle of the city. It is near the Opera House and Place Vendome. They do cater to families and I think kids under 11 might be free (my kids are older). Very friendly staff. Our room had a beautiful fireplace/mantle and French doors that opened up to a small porch overlooking the Rue de la Paix. Recommended.

https://www.warwickhotels.com/hotel-westminster
Last edited by travelspot on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.

fm3040

Post by fm3040 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Fraser suites Esplanade de La Defense
  • Conveniently located near the metro with direct connection to Champs Elysees.
    Free Breakfast (if you get the rate with the breakfast) - Great spread
    Texas size rooms with a kitchen
    No riff-raff

millenialinvestor

Post by millenialinvestor » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:39 pm

I would recommend Airbnb. Since you mentioned you have two young kids, living in an Airbnb would let you cook occasionally and prepare food for your kids if you need. Plenty of location would be available depending on your price range. Wish you a great trip in Paris :beer

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:44 pm

I’d recommend trying to be near an RER stop rather than the Métro. RER trains are faster, less crowded, and the stations are less likely to smell of urine.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.