what was your worst major purchase? mine is a 2019 mazda3

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mtmingus

Re: what was your worst major purchase mine is a 2019 mazda3

Post by mtmingus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Godot wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:54 pm
mtmingus wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm
Stable Value fund in my prior 401k. It lost almost 5% at liquidation. Even though it claimed otherwise.
Huh?
I know. But don’t treat SVF as MMF.

bubbadog

Re: what was your worst major purchase? mine is a 2019 mazda3

Post by bubbadog » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:02 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:25 pm
lighthouse, wow you should have kept it.

From its facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/FairportHarbor ... =3&theater
I have thought about contacting the owner and seeing if they would give me a tour. Maybe they would give me the proverbial $15,000 tour! I would be curious to find out how they are using it. You have to walk across a wet, slippery, and dangerous breakwater to get to it by foot.

wm631

Post by wm631 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:08 pm

House purchase. Then, another house purchase. Then, for good measure, one more.

Did I mention house purchase?

Ok. What about my 1976 Ford Mustang II? A 4 cyinder that couldn't get out of its own way; had the paint come off in sheets within four years. But, what does a 21 year old kid know about purchasing his first real car?

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:17 pm

MrJones wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:29 pm
bubbadog wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 pm
k3vb0t wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:15 am
bubbadog wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:40 am
A lighthouse!

No kidding :oops:
Story, please!
I was the winning bidder of the Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse in Lake County, Ohio.
Holy $#@#$&, that definitely is the coolest story in this thread by far! To even think of trying to buy a lighthouse is cool, hats off to you, bubbadog. And this one looks so cool. I just googled and read up the history of this particular lighthouse. Interesting read!
Those individuals complaining about cars crack me up. When it comes to stupid decisions, they aren't even close to my league. I wish I could have made it work out somehow.

According to my wife, it wasn't my finest hour. :oops:

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:50 pm

bubbadog wrote:
I was the winning bidder of the Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse in Lake County, Ohio. It is located just east of Cleveland on Lake Erie. The government was auctioning off lighthouses that were no longer needed. This was about 8-9 years ago but I am trying to delete the entire episode from my memory. It was an online auction and I did not have the opportunity to inspect in person prior to the auction closing (I was working). The auction actually ended as I pulled into the parking lot to check it out for the first time. It is located at the end of a state park beach and there were dozens of people surrounding the lighthouse goofing around and jumping into the water from the base of the lighthouse. The government had erected a chainlink fence around the base but people had just kicked in the bottom of the fence to gain a toehold for jumping off. I went from excitement to a pit in my stomach in just a few minutes. I quickly realized there was no feasible way to have any privacy to enjoy the property and probably more importantly, it felt like a huge liability. I could just see someone breaking their neck while while trespassing and somehow I would be responsible.

This was an online auction and per the auction details you had to place a $15,000 "hold" on a credit card to be a qualified bidder. If you were the winning bidder and did not follow through, you would forfeit your $15,000 deposit. I spent a few weeks trying to figure out what to do and if I could make it work. In the end, I decided eating my $15,000 deposit was my best option. A lady from Virginia was the back up bidder and did end up purchasing the property. I am not sure how she is using it as I have never been back. The lighthouse is super cool (google it and you will see). To this day, I can't even look at a lighthouse without throwing up in my mouth a little bit.

I humbly submit this brief story to allow fellow Bogleheads to feel better about their "worst major purchase" at my expense. I was an idiot.

A 2019 Mazda 3?
You gotta be kidding me!
Get outa here, that's nothin pal! :sharebeer
Parallels....Congress finally provided an extra $15,000 on May 28, 1924 that allowed work on the lighthouse to continue.

Best story so far! :greedy

Lighthouses always look so quaint and romantic on a calendar...in real life, definitely a commitment to actually own one.

Topic Author
lomarica01

Post by lomarica01 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:32 am

thanks for all the replies and this is why I love this forum, it has put my perspective back in place. yes I will get the car repaired under warranty and yes I agree in the big picture it is a minor issue and maybe I posted just to vent and I am lucky as some pointed out that this is my worst purchase (so far).

However I still do not expect a new car to have problems that need to be repaired with under 1000 miles especially one built in Japan. Maybe my expectations are too high and I am comparing the Mazda to my other vehicles a Toyota and 2 Lexus's and an old ford truck that never required a trip to the dealer for repair under warranty.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:54 am

Many responses concerning housing - here is mine: new job in 1994 - purchased 12K or thereabouts used mobile home with new roof in a managed court. This satisfied two big living issues for me - walking distance to work and a water softner. Put lots of time & money into painting & fixing up both interior & exterior. Job went sour in 1998 and I moved on fairly short notice to job in another state. RE agent said easy sale in 4 months. Finally after 2 yrs sold for 1K. I figure with additional upgrades & lot rent when vacant for 2 yrs lost at least 20K (about 2/3 gross salary in old job). Learned my lesson don't buy a mobile home expecting it to sell. If you move give it away free of charge.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:27 am

Home theater room with all the bells and whistles. Rarely got used and the tech changes very quickly -- the items you purchase end up becoming dinosaurs within a couple years. Turns out the regular large screen TV in the family room is more enjoyable for our family than a dedicated dark home theater. The only thing I learned from this expensive experiment is that having a high quality sound system is worth it.
Last edited by dustinst22 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:27 am

On the flip side, I consider my 2004 Mazda Portagee (which is effectively the 3) as one of the best things that I bought. Efficient and effective. Low maitiance and low cost of ownership. Sporty and fugal. Only in the past year has rust started showing up.

k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:31 am

lomarica01 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:32 am
thanks for all the replies and this is why I love this forum, it has put my perspective back in place. yes I will get the car repaired under warranty and yes I agree in the big picture it is a minor issue and maybe I posted just to vent and I am lucky as some pointed out that this is my worst purchase (so far).

However I still do not expect a new car to have problems that need to be repaired with under 1000 miles especially one built in Japan. Maybe my expectations are too high and I am comparing the Mazda to my other vehicles a Toyota and 2 Lexus's and an old ford truck that never required a trip to the dealer for repair under warranty.
It's good to realize how your problems aren't as big as others, for sure.

The thing I've point about about the car -- you bought the first model year car of a brand new model. I'd guess this is the issue, not the Mazda vs Toyota vs Lexus. (As noted, lots of people have said they've had that car but in different/earlier years, and loved it.) Have your other vehicles been brand new and also the first year of a new model year?

I never buy the first model year of anything -- phones, laptops, cars, whatever. There are bound to be problems that, yes, will get fixed, but it is more of a hassle for you. Model Year 1 customers are the guinea pigs who help make Year 2/Year 3 much better.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 am

dustinst22 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:27 am
Home theater room with all the bells and whistles. Rarely got used and the tech changes very quickly -- the items you purchase end up becoming dinosaurs within a couple years. Turns out the regular large screen TV in the family room is more enjoyable for our family than a dedicated dark home theater. The only thing I learned from this expensive experiment is that having a high quality sound system is worth it.
It’s a bit like photography. Lenses don’t “improve” that quickly, camera bodies do. When we bought our house, the previous owner’s speakers were keepers, so was his wiring, but I replaced the projector with a flat screen and the receiver with one that does Room Correction.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:50 am

Buying a home in 2007. Wife did not like the location and I thought buying a nicer home might make up for it.

Got a job offer where my wife wanted to be 6 months later. Took over two years to sell the home at a $100k loss. Lived in a rental house during that time and it was fine. Expensive life lesson.

Ben Mathew

Post by Ben Mathew » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:26 pm

bubbadog wrote:
k3vb0t wrote:
bubbadog wrote:
A lighthouse!

Story, please!
I was the winning bidder of the Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse in Lake County, Ohio. It is located just east of Cleveland on Lake Erie. The government was auctioning off lighthouses that were no longer needed. This was about 8-9 years ago but I am trying to delete the entire episode from my memory. It was an online auction and I did not have the opportunity to inspect in person prior to the auction closing (I was working). The auction actually ended as I pulled into the parking lot to check it out for the first time. It is located at the end of a state park beach and there were dozens of people surrounding the lighthouse goofing around and jumping into the water from the base of the lighthouse. The government had erected a chainlink fence around the base but people had just kicked in the bottom of the fence to gain a toehold for jumping off. I went from excitement to a pit in my stomach in just a few minutes. I quickly realized there was no feasible way to have any privacy to enjoy the property and probably more importantly, it felt like a huge liability. I could just see someone breaking their neck while while trespassing and somehow I would be responsible.

This was an online auction and per the auction details you had to place a $15,000 "hold" on a credit card to be a qualified bidder. If you were the winning bidder and did not follow through, you would forfeit your $15,000 deposit. I spent a few weeks trying to figure out what to do and if I could make it work. In the end, I decided eating my $15,000 deposit was my best option. A lady from Virginia was the back up bidder and did end up purchasing the property. I am not sure how she is using it as I have never been back. The lighthouse is super cool (google it and you will see). To this day, I can't even look at a lighthouse without throwing up in my mouth a little bit.

I humbly submit this brief story to allow fellow Bogleheads to feel better about their "worst major purchase" at my expense. I was an idiot.

A 2019 Mazda 3?
You gotta be kidding me!
At least you didn't fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy. You were able to admit the $15K loss and walk away. Good move.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:31 pm
lomarica01 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:28 am
I normally do not like to dwell on the past but I am curious what are some of the worst major purchases you have made. Mine is our 2019 mazda 3 hatchback. it was delivered with a huge gap in the trim and after 600 miles there is a huge gap in the seat trim. I just can't believe the poor initial quality of this car, very disappointing. Working with dealer now but will most likely just have to get it fixed under the warranty.

I know the term worst is a bit vague but I think you all get the idea
thanks for any comments

Frustrating to think that buying a new car does not mean problem free. But these are just cosmetic and hopefully easily fixed. It has been my experience that it is very difficult to get a new car that does not need a little TLC. My DH thought a new car should be “perfect”. After examining several hundred cars at dozens of dealerships and most makes, we finally bought one. Haha, he missed a loose panel and a wheel well issue. He has now accepted that his decision making process needs to be about how easy the fix and the likelihood of future problems. Hopefully, our next purchase will be less time consuming. We have owned 6 new cars, 2 American, 2 German, and 2 Japanese, not a single one made it through the warranty period without needing some repair, from just a minor trim repair to being stranded on the side of the road.

Hope your car is repaired and you can move forward and enjoy your new car.
I haven't had a single warranty repair on my 2014 Honda Accord.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:59 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:50 pm
Katietsu wrote:
lomarica01 wrote:
I normally do not like to dwell on the past but I am curious what are some of the worst major purchases you have made. Mine is our 2019 mazda 3 hatchback. it was delivered with a huge gap in the trim and after 600 miles there is a huge gap in the seat trim. I just can't believe the poor initial quality of this car, very disappointing. Working with dealer now but will most likely just have to get it fixed under the warranty.

thanks for any comments

Frustrating to think that buying a new car does not mean problem free. But these are just cosmetic and hopefully easily fixed. It has been my experience that it is very difficult to get a new car that does not need a little TLC. My DH thought a new car should be “perfect”. After examining several hundred cars at dozens of dealerships and most makes, we finally bought one. Haha, he missed a loose panel and a wheel well issue. He has now accepted that his decision making process needs to be about how easy the fix and the likelihood of future problems. Hopefully, our next purchase will be less time consuming. We have owned 6 new cars, 2 American, 2 German, and 2 Japanese, not a single one made it through the warranty period without needing some repair, from just a minor trim repair to being stranded on the side of the road.

I didn't have a single warranty repair on my Audi vutbha e had 2 on my Odyssey. I have never had an issue that left me stranded with my American/German cars. 100% of my Japanese cars have left me stranded.

The takeaway? Sample size matters ..

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:06 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:59 pm
LilyFleur wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:50 pm
Katietsu wrote:
lomarica01 wrote:

thanks for any comments

I didn't have a single warranty repair on my Audi vutbha e had 2 on my Odyssey. I have never had an issue that left me stranded with my American/German cars. 100% of my Japanese cars have left me stranded.

The takeaway? Sample size matters ..
And, never underestimate the power of sheer dumb luck.
:sharebeer

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:13 pm

fru-gal wrote:

From its facebook page:

Thanks for the link.

I contacted the owner and explained who I was. She definitely remembered how the transaction went.

I am going up to the lighthouse in a couple of weeks for a tour!

aas

Post by aas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Nortel Networks , lost 10k on margins during the dotcom bubble

Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:10 pm

bubbadog wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:13 pm
fru-gal wrote:

From its facebook page:

Thanks for the link.

I contacted the owner and explained who I was. She definitely remembered how the transaction went.

That’s so cool! I think you did the right thing though...that lighthouse sounds like a huge liability!

This thread has definitely made me feel a little bit better!

My first house (a single family home) that I bought a little over a year ago may end up being my worst purchase. I wish I had bought a condo or townhouse with a HOA instead. I travel a lot so I stress about the house when I’m away. I’m also trying to enclose the carport, which has has been much more difficult and expensive than I had imagined. This house has definitely taught me some lessons!

blackangus

Post by blackangus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 am

Audi A4

Constantly at the dealer (Who was remarkably generous). I ended up selling on Ebay with full disclosure of issues to allow for a clear conscience.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 am

Countrywide Credit and IndyMac Bank come to mind.

Thrift Shop

Post by Thrift Shop » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:36 am

bubbadog wrote:
k3vb0t wrote:
bubbadog wrote:
A lighthouse!

Story, please!

A 2019 Mazda 3?
You gotta be kidding me!
Ex Coast Guard here. I was part of the Aids to Navigation Group for several years. The group was tasked with servicing or maintaining all manner of navigational aids, including lighthouses.

You can stop throwing up. The amount of continuous maintenance that goes in to navigational aids is never ending. The elements erode structures and are extremely harsh.

You did the right thing by walking away. I was fully aware of the Coast Guards auctioning of these lighthouses and never once considered it. I even talked my brother in law out of buying one.

Enjoy the tour.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am

Worst purchase ever: 1978 Chevy Monday, bought new when I was a struggling student. The apex of horrible cars from Detroit.

The other worst purchase: Fender American Strat. It was a good instrument, just the wrong instrument for me. My own bad judgment.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:30 am

SueG5123 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am
Worst purchase ever: 1978 Chevy Monday, bought new when I was a struggling student. The apex of horrible cars from Detroit.

The other worst purchase: Fender American Strat. It was a good instrument, just the wrong instrument for me. My own bad judgment.
Too bad you didn't keep that 1978 Chevy Monday. I hear that model is extremely rare and commands a hefty price, even in fair to poor condition. :P

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:05 am

I've said it before Chemistry/Biochemistry degree. I have to tell recruiters to [go away -- moderator oldcomputerguy] with offers for $15-20 an hour many contract no benefits.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: what was your worst major purchase? An Oldsmobile

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 am

Bogleheads:

Many years ago we purchased a new General Motors Oldsmobile from the local dealer. I remember our dissatisfaction because we had to take it in for repair 12 times during the first 12 months (mostly AC problems). It was under warranty but the inconvenience was just awful.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:22 am

Definitely our house. Older house, always things going wrong with it, and bigger than we need.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:33 am

bubbadog wrote:

Nice! This thread does have a happy ending. :sharebeer

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am

greg24 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:33 am
bubbadog wrote:

Yes, looking forward to seeing how she addressed some of the concerns I had with the property.

MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:58 am

We just bought my wife an early Ford Bronco. I’ll let you know in a few years 😂😂😂

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:06 pm

Mazda 3 is famous for its driving dynamics. It is called poor man's BMW3. Quality wise is not as good a Toyota but still above average. I like the styling of last generation Mazda. It is a shared platform with Ford global C1. Hatchback very much like Porsche Macan. With 6MT and skyactive turbo, it is a much fun car. I bought a used one for my daughter as her 1st ca. Zoom Zoom Zoom.

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:14 pm

1980-ish Datsun 810. First model with fuel injection.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:30 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:59 pm
Audi TT. Junk trash garbage.
Curious about your experience. I currently own a Mk2 TT RS and has been very good so far. What year was it?

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:31 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:06 pm
Mazda 3 is famous for its driving dynamics. It is called poor man's BMW3. Quality wise is not as good a Toyota but still above average. I like the styling of last generation Mazda. It is a shared platform with Ford global C1. Hatchback very much like Porsche Macan. With 6MT and skyactive turbo, it is a much fun car. I bought a used one for my daughter as her 1st ca. Zoom Zoom Zoom.
Unless I'm mistaken, you can't spec a Mazda3 turbo with 6MT. Only 2.5 NA.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm

bubbadog wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am
greg24 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:33 am
bubbadog wrote:

Yes, looking forward to seeing how she addressed some of the concerns I had with the property.
My guess is by throwing money at them.

I'm looking forward to a trip report. I love the idea of living in a lighthouse like that, but I do see the issues. Congrats on being able to walk away from it; I'm not sure I could have once I put down that deposit. But you do win the thread imo--by a mile!

hand

Post by hand » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:45 pm

bubbadog wrote:
k3vb0t wrote:
bubbadog wrote:
A lighthouse!

Story, please!

A 2019 Mazda 3?
You gotta be kidding me!
Wow, thanks for sharing! Looking at the history (http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=286), outcome could have been even worse.

Apparently, the first time the poperty was auctioned, the winner got the lighthouse...but failed to secure land access to the lighthouse via the breakwater! (transaction was voided less the deposit). Imagine owning property you couldn't leagally access!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:47 pm

crystalbank wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:30 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Curious about your experience. I currently own a Mk2 TT RS and has been very good so far. What year was it?
I'm not sure of the year, around a decade ago. I believe it was the first year that the Dual Clutch Tiptronic transmission was available, and it was the transmission that was the problem. We would not have hated it as much as we did just for that, but Corporate's reaction to the obviously defective transmission was unacceptable.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:50 pm

hand wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:45 pm
bubbadog wrote:
k3vb0t wrote:
bubbadog wrote:
A lighthouse!

Story, please!

A 2019 Mazda 3?
You gotta be kidding me!
Wow, thanks for sharing! Looking at the history (http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=286), outcome could have been even worse.

Apparently, the first time the poperty was auctioned, the winner got the lighthouse...but failed to secure land access to the lighthouse via the breakwater! (transaction was voided less the deposit). Imagine owning property you couldn't leagally access!
He was a local developer. I believe he wanted to pave a path over the breakwater for better access. You don't own any land with the purchase, just the lighthouse. Like owning a cabin situated in a national park. Very limited on what you can do outside around the Lighthouse. I still think it would have been an awesome project.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:14 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:47 pm
crystalbank wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:30 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
I'm not sure of the year, around a decade ago. I believe it was the first year that the Dual Clutch Tiptronic transmission was available, and it was the transmission that was the problem. We would not have hated it as much as we did just for that, but Corporate's reaction to the obviously defective transmission was unacceptable.
Makes sense. I believe it was probably around 2003, Mk1 generation. Thanks for the info.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm

Aside from our first house, my first car. A 1984 Renault Alliance, stick shift, that I bought in 1990. For a six year old car, what a pile of poo.

I sunk a lot of money into repairs as a high school student, including a new clutch.

BobTexas

Post by BobTexas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 pm

I can’t believe nobody mentioned a boat. Lots of fun the first summer but over time you use it less and less and the carrying costs are high

House with swimming pool is similar. Another money pit

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:27 pm

BobTexas wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 pm
I can’t believe nobody mentioned a boat. Lots of fun the first summer but over time you use it less and less and the carrying costs are high
Don’t have a boat, and I’m not much of a pool person (preferring a hot tub), but the relaxation it gives my wife is priceless.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 pm

mptfan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:23 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:00 pm
\
No. I put the ex through school, often working 2 jobs while in school myself. She didn't earn a penny during our 5yrs of marriage.
Wow. Does she at least give you free dental care?
Would you want your Ex sticking high speed drills into your mouth?

Just thinking about it brings back memories of the Dustin Hoffman film "Marathon Man"

Code: Select all

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074860/

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:34 pm

No. In fact, I wanted a straight-forward lawyer-less divorce and she agreed. Within days of us separating, she cleaned out our savings account (I believe about $15k) and put several thousand dollars on joint credit cards getting a new phone, clothes, getting her hair done, and going on a destination bachelorette party (what actually started the final argument that broke the camel's back) and then paying for the upcoming destination wedding. Figuring I was going to give her half anyway, I paid off the card (then closed it) and didn't bother bringing up the savings account. In Texas, divorces are not final until 60 days after it is filed. I received a call from her lawyer on like day 58, they wanted all my financial records. I represented myself in court, and when they asked for a percentage of my retirement, the judge literally laughed out loud. She had taken more than half of our combined assets within a week of us separating.

Divorces are fun. When I married my current wife she had less than nothing. I said I was doing it unless she signed a pre-nup and she didn't even balk.
What would a prenupt in the first one have done? You spent the money on tuition during the marriage, correct?

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:06 pm

BobTexas wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 pm

because all of our boats were good purchases....

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm

A Mercury Cougar 2000. Three alternators and a magnitude of recalls and technical service bulletins! We traded it in within three or so years.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Deposits to reserve a spot at multiple physical therapy schools. The best magic trick in the world to make money disappear right before your eyes $650 at a time.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:28 pm

My house. :( But inventory was so low, and a stepkid was coming to live with us and I panicked. I had looked at dozens of places, but if I had hung on a little longer some better deals would come along.

Patience is not my strong suit.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:51 pm

This is easy: Mercedes c230 “coupe”. This smoldering pile of dog crap was driven by the dealership mechanic more than me. Worst. Car. Ever.

The only redeeming quality was that I learned early to never buy “luxury” cars. When the manufacturer makes 100k defective cars per year.... you have a problem. If they make 10M defective cars in a year... they have a problem. I now understand the “aligned interests” you get in the latter of these cases.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 am
Undergrad and dental school for ex-wife. $300k down the tubes for me.

Pretty sure cash-flowing current wife's undergrad (2 more semesters) is going to be a better long-term purchase/investment.
Well look at it this way: if marriage is a “team game” ... you were/are Messi or Gretzky or Brady or Jordan :D .