Carryon luggage for international travel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
partner

Carryon luggage for international travel

Post by partner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 pm

I have a hard side carry-on with wheels that I have used often on domestic airlines. It is 22 inches long and the wheels protrude an extra inch. The U.S. regulation says 22 inches but I have never had a problem. The Lufthansa web site says for international travel that the max is 55 CM which converts to 21.65 inches. Has anyone had any issue with carry on luggage size on international flights? Should I just check it to avoid a problem? I guess I could put medicines, electronics, personal items, etc. in a small satchel to carry on but I wanted at least one change of cloths in case luggage got lost.
Any comments.

HawkeyePierce

Re: Carryon luggage for international travel

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Be prepared to have it checked. Lufthansa agents can be sticklers.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 pm

partner wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 pm
The Lufthansa web site says for international travel that the max is 55 CM which converts to 21.65 inches.
Lufthansa also has an 8 kg (17+ lb) weight max for carry-ons. Your wheeled bag, empty, may easily weigh 6 lbs!

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Flobes wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 pm
partner wrote:
The Lufthansa web site says for international travel that the max is 55 CM which converts to 21.65 inches.
Lufthansa also has an 8 kg (17+ lb) weight max for carry-ons. Your bag empty may easily weigh 6 lbs!
+1. I was about to say the same thing! Assuming OP packs anything of significance in the bag, it will likely exceed the weight limit for carry-ons. No matter how hard I try to travel light, I find it tough to stay below 8 kg (no checked bag).

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:06 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 pm
Flobes wrote:
partner wrote:
Lufthansa also has an 8 kg (17+ lb) weight max for carry-ons. Your bag empty may easily weigh 6 lbs!
+1. I was about to say the same thing! Assuming OP packs anything of significance in the bag, it will likely exceed the weight limit for carry-ons. No matter how hard I try to travel light, I find it tough to stay below 8 kg (no checked bag).
There is no limit on how much you can wear. My solution: wear it. Sport the headphones and pillow around my neck. I have several Scottevest travel garments (pants, hoodie and jacket), well designed with serious pockets galore to bring much on board. Also serve as great gear at destination, with RFID and inside secrets keeping you safe from pickpockets. One pocket holds a foldable nylon luggage to ferry the stuff once boarded and/or deplaned.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:11 pm

I've only had my roller bag taken from me on domestic flights (some of which happened outside the USA). It got worse when airlines decided to charge fifty bucks for a checked bag. I've never had a situation where it would not fit in the overhead, just with the overhead bins being full already. International flights usually have a checked bag allowance.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Flobes wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:06 pm
rjbraun wrote:
Flobes wrote:
partner wrote:
There is no limit on how much you can wear. My solution: wear it. Sport the headphones and pillow around my neck. I have several Scottevest travel garments (pants, hoodie and jacket), well designed with serious pockets galore to bring much on board. Also serve as great gear at destination, with RFID and inside secrets keeping you safe from pickpockets. One pocket holds a foldable nylon luggage to ferry the stuff once boarded and/or deplaned.
Clever. We've used a similar technique with winter coats, but, of course, that approach doesn't work in non-winter months.

ScotteVest looks interesting, will look into this - thanks for the tip.

Are you able to make use of the garments when you're not traveling as well? I'm just trying to accumulate less "stuff"!

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 pm

I will second Scottevest. I have two of their Q-Zips and they are literally the only two shirts I ever wear.

Also don’t forget that you can buy almost everything— soap, shampoo, razors, etc.— anywhere on Terra. You don’t have to pack it, buy it there.

I traveled the world for three years with just an REI Flash 18. Yes, 18 liters. Right at the 8kg limit. Critically question the absolute necessity of everything you pack. It’s not that difficult to get down to that.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:02 pm

I have had the least hassle on any flight when I switched to a 18" max wheeled carry on, and fly whatever class is the highest for the flight (business or lst class).

Also, for various reasons, I'm usually one of the lst people on the plane and that seems to make things go smoothly as well.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 pm

I wouldn’t worry about a bag that’s 0.35” too long. That sounds like rounding error.

The weight, though. I’ve had my carry on bag weighed. I had to pull a couple of books out and put them in my wife’s bag.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:10 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 pm
I wouldn’t worry about a bag that’s 0.35” too long.
I would. If you have to fit your bag in one of those metal sizers, they are pretty unforgiving.

OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Yes , be very careful with ALL the baggage rules on international airlines, they can be real sticklers compared to US Airlines, especially low cost European Airlines, many ground staff at the LCCs get bonuses for the extra income sourced on the day of travel. In effect that money is theirs to keep which is why they bust everyone, no mercy.

Lufthansa check in staff at Munich were unbelievable sticklers for checked in baggage weight also.

For the OP I would just bring a big plastic/fold up canvas bag in your hand luggage , and if you get busted by the ground staff (can even happen right at the aircraft door, (Transavia at AMS)) for your wheels sticking out 1.35" or over 8kg, you can just stash your valuables/essentials for the flight in the soft bag and check in the hard side carry on (US Sized) into the hold. Be friendly and polite to the staff and if you are lucky they may not charge you for the unforseen hold baggage. (But not Ryanair!)

Check your Airlines' rules very carefully , stick to the rules , and if marginal you may get away with it (lucky), but always have a good quick cheap plan B.

From someone in the Industry :)

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 am

I've never had anyone check the size or weight of carry-on on dozens of transatlantic LH flights, in fact nowadays I can go round trip and never talk to an airline employee-- boarding pass from home or kiosk, gate is DIY bar code reader with agent standing off to side. I don't check bags, YMMV but I'm not aware counter bag checkers ever inspect carry-ons closely. Never had to check a carry-on on many full flights, but that might depend on route. It's not uncommon for bags at limit to not fit wheels-first into side bins (vs. larger center bins) with aircraft on my routes, so smaller are more convenient if you've a choice.

student

Post by student » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:04 am

My experience is that they care more about weight than size. They usually check the weight.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:41 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:37 pm
Flobes wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:06 pm
rjbraun wrote:
Flobes wrote:
partner wrote:
Clever. We've used a similar technique with winter coats, but, of course, that approach doesn't work in non-winter months.

ScotteVest looks interesting, will look into this - thanks for the tip.

Are you able to make use of the garments when you're not traveling as well? I'm just trying to accumulate less "stuff"!
Do you pick up couple of bins during the shoe removal ritual to empty you hundreds of pockets or do you just strip off the shirt and the cargo pant and drop on the conveyor belt while going through the security check?

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:28 pm

partner wrote:
OptimusPrime wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:34 pm
Lufthansa check in staff at Munich were unbelievable sticklers for checked in baggage weight also.
I am scheduled to travel on Lufthansa for the first time, so I've been studying their rules. And so this thread really piqued my interest.

Last night, I went back to Lufthansa website to study their baggage regulations. And discovered this, under "Special Rules for USA and Canada flights with several airlines" section:
• For all legs of a journey to/from or via the USA or Canada, consistent baggage regulations must be adhered to (e.g. free baggage allowance, size/weight of the baggage, carry- on baggage).
• The baggage rules set by the airline which is listed first on the ticket are those that usually apply in these cases.
I wonder if this means that United rules on my first leg govern my Lufthansa baggage, when I'm already in the "secure" system and I later transfer to Lufthansa to Munich, and then transfer again to get where I'm going. (Coming home, I'm United all the way.)

Do anyone have any experience with this?

Too good to be true?
wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:41 pm
Do you pick up couple of bins during the shoe removal ritual to empty you hundreds of pockets or do you just strip off the shirt and the cargo pant and drop on the conveyor belt while going through the security check?
Depends on the airport, the agent, where the metal is, where electronics are, and whether you're carrying TSA Precheck or Global Entry IDs. It's not really all that complicated to organize, and surely not more so than any travel.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm

gd wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 am
I've never had anyone check the size or weight of carry-on on dozens of transatlantic LH flights
I have, just last month on a DEN-MUC Lufthansa flight. I had to squeeze the bag into their sizer, after which they affixed a tag to let the gate agent know it was OK.

YMMV

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:23 pm

oxothuk wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm
gd wrote:
I've never had anyone check the size or weight of carry-on on dozens of transatlantic LH flights
... just last month on a DEN-MUC Lufthansa flight. I had to squeeze the bag into their sizer, after which they affixed a tag to let the gate agent know it was OK.
Did they weigh it too? Or just make sure it fit the sizer?

david_that_guy

Post by david_that_guy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:08 pm

I flew Norwegian Airline internationally this year and they checked the carry-on size (also 55cm) but not the weight in the US and checked both the size and the weight on the return flight. The weight limit was 10kg for everything carried on including the personal bag/item. They were very strict and forcing lots of people to check bags. I don't know if they were .35 inches strict, but there were a lot of unpleasantly surprised travelers.

I also flew on flybe in the UK this year and they checked the size as well (55cm).

Last year I flew Delta and they checked the size on the return flight but not on the USA leg.

Before that I've had the size checked on Air Canada international flights and American Airlines international flights.

The bag in question is an Eagle Creek INTERNATIONAL size carry-on, which is 55cm high, which I bought specifically for this reason and has always passed.

student

Post by student » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:35 am

Flobes wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:23 pm
oxothuk wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm
gd wrote:
... just last month on a DEN-MUC Lufthansa flight. I had to squeeze the bag into their sizer, after which they affixed a tag to let the gate agent know it was OK.
Did they weigh it too? Or just make sure it fit the sizer?
When I traveled with them, they did not check size but they weigh it.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:00 am

When I last purchased carry-on luggage, the brand offered two separate sizes. One was specifically designated as "international carry-on", as distinct from the slightly larger size suitable under U.S. regulations. I bought the slightly smaller international size so as to not have to use a different bag when travelling internationally.

mchampse

Post by mchampse » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 am

You are usually allowed 2 items on the plane. A carry-on piece of luggage as well as a “personal item”. I’ve found that while some airlines will weigh the carry-on, few weigh or size the personal item. I’ve put heavier items into my backpack to try to get a carry-on onto the plane.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:33 am

My general experience is that the airline staff won't usually try to weigh or size your bag unless your bag looks significantly larger than standard size, looks overstuffed, or you look like you're struggling with the weight of the bag. If you avoid those, you should be fine. If traveling only with carry-ons, check in online so that you avoid the check-in counter altogether, as that's one place where they could eyeball your carry-on and weigh it. The suggestion about a personal item is a good one - I have one with a rear pocket that slips over the carry-on handle, so that most of the time it's very little extra effort to carry.

Aside from an ultra low cost carrier in Asia, Lufthansa is the only carrier I've flown that has ever weighed my carry-on bag. And of course it was over their ridiculous limit and had to be checked. But even this was just one time, many years ago, out of dozens of Lufthansa flights. I will admit that another time Lufthansa gate staff tagged my bag for checking, insisting the overhead bins were full. I was supposed to leave it on the jet bridge but I carried it on anyway (the tag seems to have fallen off on the jet bridge :twisted:) and had no trouble finding bin space. In general, you'll find that on European legacy carriers, overhead bin space is not nearly so tight as on U.S. carriers, likely because many fares in Europe still include a checked bag, and Europeans tend not to be pack rats like some American passengers (after all they have smaller houses and cars, too).

California88

Post by California88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 am

Flying internationally they might be lenient - but domestically they're likely to be strict. I flew out of Australia on a major carrier - as we entered the plane we deposited our carry-on bag into a "metal measurement box" (if the bag didn't fit into that box it got checked)! The "box" also gave them the weight!

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:19 pm

You may not have to check it on the transatlantic leg but I've had to check my carry-on numerous times on intra-Europe flights. This is usually due to very low weight limits for carry-ons. I would research your airline's policy in advance - sometimes checking the bag at the airport costs more than pre-paying for it when you book or check in.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:02 pm

partner wrote:
I have a hard side carry-on with wheels that I have used often on domestic airlines. It is 22 inches long and the wheels protrude an extra inch. The U.S. regulation says 22 inches but I have never had a problem. The Lufthansa web site says for international travel that the max is 55 CM which converts to 21.65 inches. Has anyone had any issue with carry on luggage size on international flights? Should I just check it to avoid a problem? I guess I could put medicines, electronics, personal items, etc. in a small satchel to carry on but I wanted at least one change of cloths in case luggage got lost.
Any comments.
I've been using a 22 incher for a couple of decades. I've never had a problem with my frequent transatlantic flights. However over the last couple of years I'm having more and more problems with being forced to check it in for connecting flights both with BA and Are Lingus, among others. So I just bought a new one that's the next notch down and seems to fit both of the anoveemtiined airlines requirements.