Tree stump, can't use a stump grinder. Solution?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hulk

Tree stump, can't use a stump grinder. Solution?

Post by Hulk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:33 am

Hello wise bogleheads,

I have a tree stump in my backyard I would like to remove but tree pro says he can't get a stump grinder to that location of my yard. He suggested drilling holes and pouring down a "root rot" product. I asked what the implications were for future plant growth for having root rot in the soil and he said if would not be a problem if done "correctly." idk. I don't love the idea of having some chemical that dissolves trees in my soil.

I have heard you can put hot coals on the stump and let is slowly burn up the stump. Sounds like it might work but also sounds hazardous and that I would have to constantly watch it for days.

Any tips or solutions? Thanks

Hulk

mhc

Re: Tree stump, cant use a stump grinder. Solution?

Post by mhc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 am

It would be helpful if you could explain why you can't get a stump grinder to the stump. Could you use a crane to lift it in? Crane rental isn't necessarily that expensive.

Have you ever read the book or seen the movie Shane? There are ways to deal with stumps. :D

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:43 am

Hot coals definitely work, I have done it many times, even to very large stumps 3+ ft across.
That chemical stump rot chemical never worked for me.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

John Doe 123

Post by John Doe 123 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:50 am

Smoke wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:43 am
Hot coals definitely work, I have done it many times, even to very large stumps 3+ ft across.
That chemical stump rot chemical never worked for me.
Hot coals are probably the best solution if it is an area where it can be safely contained. You'll have to leave them unattended because if its a big stump it could take a few days.

blaster198

Post by blaster198 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:54 am

I just removed stumps that were at my house at move in, 2013. The original owner used a similar chemical compound introduced by drilling holes. He did so years before I moved there. I tried to pull up the stumps back in 2014 to no luck. I just recently gave it another go last month and the stumps with holes had the roots significantly rotted down more than the ones without them. However, the difference wasn't much. Drilling holes with a chemical product might expedite the breakdown process but it isn't at such a great rate to where you will be able to remove them much sooner.

I have three stumps from some pine trees that I cut down in my front yard last year. The plan is to cut them as flush as possible then dig around the stumps the best I can without getting too deep. Then with my my chain that has the least amount of life left, try to cut out the major roots. Basically slice it up and try to remove as much as I can and hopefully get it low enough I can cover it with earth. Going to give it a go this weekend will let you know how it goes. Note: I am not at all a tree expert. The neighbors and myself were pretty terrified while I cut down those three trees.

-Jeffrey

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:55 am

Chainsaw plus fire method here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgx_VPmJx8
Last edited by mhalley on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

papata123

Post by papata123 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:58 am

Something like spectracide stump remover is just potassium nitrate, or saltpeter, so not something I would worry about. It's basically a fertilizer. I've never used it on stumps, but have on a few other things. Small stump grinders are about the size of a push lawn mower, so I wouldn't think access should be a huge issue. How large is the stump? I just rented a medium size stump grinder from Home Depot a few weekends ago to take care of several around my yard, took maybe 2 hours and less than $100.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 am

Get another quote. They make self propelled stump grinders that will fit almost anywhere.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:01 am

I see a lot of people burning those stumps on YouTube. What could go wrong? I mean, the ground is not going to catch fire, right? Just make sure there is no underground methane tank or something around there... Actually, you should probably get your city power line plans or something like that before doing anything...

MFD

Post by MFD » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 am

I'm not sure why they can't get a stump grinder into your backyard, unless it is on a steep slope or really overgrown. Stump grinders are about the size of a large gas lawnmower, you can rent a smaller one and do it yourself. I always remove the stump by hand, because I intend to do something where the tree was and even after grinding the stump it could be a year before it has decomposed enough for the area to be suitable for a new plant.

Here is a This Old House video of removing a stump. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1e-d4gX8A I use a reciprocating saw and cheap blades from harbor freight, lopers, a shovel, and a digging bar just like in the video. The blades dull fairly quickly from the dirt so I don't think it's worth it to buy expensive blades. Starting a bit further away from the stump is easier to get the initial hole dug to expose the roots, then just work your way around in a circle as you cut the roots and dig the dirt out. It's surprising how solidly in the ground the stump can feel when there are just a couple small roots still attached, so you will probably have to dig it out a bit underneath to get everything. It is a lot of work but you can use the area immediately afterwards.

Fire can travel underground through the roots, and stay smouldering for days unnoticed. I wouldn't use fire in a dry area.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 am

I haven't found the "stump rot" products to work terribly well for me. Time, and physical abuse (cutting into it as much as possible with chainsaw, drilling large/deep holes) have eventually worked; usually over several years. If I really wanted it out sooner, stump grinder. I haven't tried burning one out.

whomever

Post by whomever » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:12 am

Depending on how big it us, and how much you like exercise...we've had some reasonably big ones (2 feet???) in a 'no outdoor burning' area, where I was too impatient for the stump rot stuff. I used a gonzo drill and an augur but to honeycomb it and went after it with a mattock. The swiss-cheesing made it break up fairly quickly (n.b. that might be species dependent). You could probably mechanize that a bit by renting one of those electric jackhammers.

Digging bars are also good, and really help popping out the chunks.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am

Hulk wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:33 am
Hello wise bogleheads,

I have a tree stump in my backyard I would like to remove but tree pro says he can't get a stump grinder to that location of my yard. He suggested drilling holes and pouring down a "root rot" product. I asked what the implications were for future plant growth for having root rot in the soil and he said if would not be a problem if done "correctly." idk. I don't love the idea of having some chemical that dissolves trees in my soil.

I have heard you can put hot coals on the stump and let is slowly burn up the stump. Sounds like it might work but also sounds hazardous and that I would have to constantly watch it for days.

Hulk
This is a lot of work, but you can dig below the surface and then cut sideways with a chainsaw, and cover the stump back up and let it rot.
I did that with an apple tree, and we planed flowers over it. Years later when moving the flowers, the stump was almost disintegrated.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 am

How big a stump? I've pulled a number of mine out, but the size and type of tree makes a difference. I do the old fashion way, first digging all around with the bucket loader on my tractor, then chopping with an axe, then eventually hooking up to my Jeep and yanking it out. The burning method would be much easier on you and your equipment.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:54 am

curmudgeon wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:11 am
I haven't found the "stump rot" products to work terribly well for me. Time, and physical abuse (cutting into it as much as possible with chainsaw, drilling large/deep holes) have eventually worked; usually over several years. If I really wanted it out sooner, stump grinder. I haven't tried burning one out.
+1

We have a large stump on a property line that was left ~15 years ago. The neighbor doesn't care what happens to it as it is closer to our home than his. It was never worth the cost of a stump grinder for us to go that route. We tried burning, during the course of routine limb burning, to no avail. Natural rotting and breaking chunks off with a pick as the stump rotted were the way we went. Our neighbor does run his riding mower over it now, so it has almost become part of the soil now.

Another large stump was left at the same time on the boundary of that neighbor and another neighbor--and several feet from our property. The third neighbor has been burning it occasionally for years with very slow progress. Both trees were cut poorly, leaving far too much stump above ground. I'm sure that contributed heavily to their stubbornness.

If you need this stump gone quickly, I would recommend trying to figure out how to get a stump grinder to it.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:53 pm

If you do decide to go with the long, slow wait it out process, a guy at Home Depot recommended that I not spend $10 on a pint of tree stump remover, that I could instead buy a gigantic bag of rock salt and just keep dumping a cup on it whenever I remembered to. Yes, eventually it works.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:09 pm

Method I've used on a few stumps over the year. 1) cut down as far as possible with a chain saw, 2) drill lots of holes with hammer drill and large bit, 3) fill holes with cheap fertilizer, 4) every so often, attack with a mattock and/or splitting maul, 5) drill more holes as needed.

Last one I did took a couple of years from start to finish.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:34 pm

For a freshly cut tree, I recommend stump grinding, followed by drilling holes and filling with straight Roundup, as well as spreading on the cut surface, to kill the roots.
Last edited by rkhusky on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:39 pm

The rot stuff is just fertilizer, it wont be a problem long term. Take a long time to be effective, and still have to rip it out.

For a stump next to my house, that is what i did (waited about 2 years), then I dug it out, used a sawzall, prybar, etc. Was a lot of work

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 am
Get another quote. They make self propelled stump grinders that will fit almost anywhere.
+1
OTOH, if you "did" have access, an excavator would do the trick in minutes. :shock:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Set a flower pot or bird bath on top. Surround with mulch. It will be gone in a few years.

Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Many years ago I removed a dead tree in the backyard myself with help of a friend.

Did it the hard way. First, cutting off the limbs, then the trunk section by section to about 3 or 4 feet above ground level. Then dug around the base of the trunk to expose the roots and with a mattock chipped away at the roots until they were severed.

The reason I didn't cut the trunk all the way down to the ground level was so we could use leverage to push over the remaining standing trunk, cutting away at the remaining roots and continue pushing.
Eventually the remaining tree trunk was separated from the ground. Continued digging up the remaining roots until none left and filled the hole. :beer

On the other hand, I could have cut down the trunk and used the stump as a base for a tabletop, but the tree trunk had termites.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:07 pm

My method of choice is a pulaski fire axe and a few hour workout.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Get some mushroom plugs. Turn that stump into edible fungi.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Mike Scott wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:55 pm
Set a flower pot or bird bath on top. Surround with mulch. It will be gone in a few years.
Those look so ugly.

A stump grinder can get rid of a stump in about ten minutes. Try harder to get one in there,

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:40 pm

The arborist I use has a small grinder which fits through my fence gate, got all stumps ground out. It is a real show when he operates his large grinder remotely, watching him is worth the money.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:42 pm

I have an ongoing logging road project here in New England and have dealt with stumps in various ways, depending on location relative to the road path.

I've sawn a large white oak stump into quarters vertically and used a hefty chain and my F-150 to yank out the segments.

Smaller stumps I've dug down enough to get the chain around it and yanked the entire thing without using the chainsaw.

Some wider but lower stumps I've used the chainsaw to cut a checkerboard pattern on the stump two or three inches deep and then knocked off the chunks with a sledge hammer.

Tree trunks/stumps widen out at the bottom.
So sometimes, I've chainsawed part way horizontally around a three foot diameter stump at ground level and then sawed vertically to free up a chunk of oak. Usually six chunks or so to lower the entire stump by 8" or so.

In certain areas, you don't want the entire stump and roots removed. That could create a mudhole. I've made that mistake...
Attempted new signature...

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Hulk wrote:
Hello wise bogleheads,

Hulk
stump grinders are expensive to rent (by me at least), unsure why. I thought maybe $50-$100 for a full day, that was for only like 2-4 hours (if that). No issue doing it myself but the cost was prohibitive.

Buy an auger bit, drill ~12" deep holes in the stump & pour this stuff inhttp://www.spectracide.com/products/dis ... mover.aspx

you can do the same thing w/ Epsom salt, multiple videos on Youtube about it. Its cheap enough to try. I have a few stumps in my yard currently treated as such. WIll prob tear out next May once they've rotted more. This assumes you don't need the stump out immediately. It takes time to rot.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 pm

I've only dealt with one stump. The stump was about 8" above ground level and 24" wide. I wanted to avoid irrigation lines and save as much landscaping rock as possible. Three evenings of work, with hardware cloth stretched over a wheel barrow to sort out the rock followed by hand digging and cutting roots with an axe for surface roots and a reciprocating saw for tap roots I could not actually see did the job. It was a great workout, provided an excuse to buy new tools, and immediately opened up the spot for planting a new tree :P

Post by 123 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 pm

Termites?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Hire someone to carve the stump into a lawn/garden gnome.

Striker

Post by Striker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Drill holes into the stump and pour buttermilk on the stump.
It works faster that anything else I’ve used to rot stumps.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 pm

What kind of tree was it?

random_walker_77

Re: Tree stump, can't use a stump grinder. Solution?

Post by random_walker_77 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Dig around and under the stump. Cut off roots using a sawz-all that has a pruning blade on it. Dig deep enough to get both a hydraulic car jack and 4x4 under it. A bottle jack might work better, but no matter what, you need the 4x4 to spread the load over a larger amount of soil to minimize compaction.

For the digging, if your dirt is hard, a rotary hammer w/ a chisel blade makes the digging go a *lot* easier:
https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/10+A ... HAMMER+KIT
https://www.harborfreight.com/sds-mason ... 63046.html

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:01 am

Reading with interest. I have 4 enormous eucalyptus stumps in my yard. Two we cut down 8 years ago when we moved in the other two were already cut sometime before that. Very little rot is happening. These things are easily 3 - 4 feet across.

sred5

Post by sred5 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:16 am

blaster198 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:54 am
... The plan is to cut them as flush as possible then dig around the stumps the best I can without getting too deep. Then with my my chain that has the least amount of life left, try to cut out the major roots. Basically slice it up and try to remove as much as I can and hopefully get it low enough I can cover it with earth. Going to give it a go this weekend will let you know how it goes. Note: I am not at all a tree expert. The neighbors and myself were pretty terrified while I cut down those three trees. -Jeffrey
I have removed many large Pine and Fir stumps with a method similar to this. I would not flush cut the stumps if you plan to remove the entire stump. Leave them tall to give you greater leverage during removal. If you keep digging and cutting the roots, you'll be able to remove it by hand. Clean off the roots as best as possible before cutting with your chainsaw. Know how to re-sharpen your chain. The Pferd CS-X sharpeners (same as Stihl) are the best. Make sure that you buy the right size for your chain. I also found that a thin transplanting spade is very helpful once you are close to the roots. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Steel-D- ... 000F95D0I/ . Sometimes I even use a crowbar for digging in order to get between nearby roots. If the tree/stump has a tap root (straight down from trunk), that can be the most difficult to cut and often the final cut before removal. Wear proper safety gear including boots, chaps, forestry helmet, and gloves.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00REG8JNS/
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKE2GOE/

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:52 am

Hulk wrote:
I have a tree stump in my backyard I would like to remove but tree pro says he can't get a stump grinder to that location of my yard.
He might not be able to get his stump grinder to that location, but I'm sure he can get a smaller one back there. The one below has the footprint of a push lawn mower and cost under $200/day. (if you rent after 3:30pm Friday, it's 1 day rental price thru Monday morning)

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipmen ... p-grinder/

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:31 am

Can a back hoe get to it? It could be dug up that way. Depending on how big the stump is...cutting it out by hand may not be an option.

If you're allowed to have fires in your neighborhood or wherever you live...just build a fire on top of it. Get a bunch of firewood, building it on top of the stump and have a camp fire all night. Pull some chairs up, some beer and invite friends over. That stump will be gone by morning.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:02 am

It seems to me there are two types of "stump removal" - one where the entire stump is removed, including everything below the ground - as though the tree had never been there. The other is where the stump is cut down to (or slightly below) ground level.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:05 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 am
+1
OTOH, if you "did" have access, an excavator would do the trick in minutes. :shock:
++1 . There are a ton of different sizes of stump grinders now.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am

Seems like any vehicle could yank out a stump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQ8ywSd7R4&t=223s

FinancialRookie

Post by FinancialRookie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49 am

I would recommend burning with hot coals. However, check with your local health department first to make sure you do not need a burn permit. All jurisdictions are different, a phone call could save you a ticket or a fire engine showing up because a nosy neighbor called.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:52 am

I have a tree stump in my back yard - did not want to pay for removal. I am thinking about covering it in dirt and mulch and hope it then rots away. The center is hollow.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:27 pm

I bought a sacrificial doubles bladed axe, that i just whacked at the roots all the way around not worrying about ruining the axe. Still have the axe. :beer

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:28 pm

FinancialRookie wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49 am
I would recommend burning with hot coals. However, check with your local health department first to make sure you do not need a burn permit. All jurisdictions are different, a phone call could save you a ticket or a fire engine showing up because a nosy neighbor called.
Yes!!

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Idea: Cut flush, plant grass.

Had some overgrown fruit trees removed from lawn. They had grown up into the house electric and phone lines. In the winter I worried about the snow load as they laid on the lines. In the spring/summer, the birds and squirrels got more than I did. And they were a pain to mow under---them bigger, me older.

Had neighbor's lawn guys cut them flush to ground. Then I drilled holes in them, filled holes with dirt, and planted grass seed. You can see the stump remains if you stand over them, but not from the side. Lawn mower easily clears them.

I'm happier. But I do miss the occasional hot apple cobbler made from the them. And eating warm cherries in the early summer sun... when I could find one that the birds had missed. But those small pleasures were not worth the worry/hassle otherwise.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

OAG

Post by OAG » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:42 pm

blaster198 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:54 am
I just removed stumps that were at my house at move in, 2013. The original owner used a similar chemical compound introduced by drilling holes. He did so years before I moved there. I tried to pull up the stumps back in 2014 to no luck. I just recently gave it another go last month and the stumps with holes had the roots significantly rotted down more than the ones without them. However, the difference wasn't much. Drilling holes with a chemical product might expedite the breakdown process but it isn't at such a great rate to where you will be able to remove them much sooner.

I have three stumps from some pine trees that I cut down in my front yard last year. The plan is to cut them as flush as possible then dig around the stumps the best I can without getting too deep. Then with my my chain that has the least amount of life left, try to cut out the major roots. Basically slice it up and try to remove as much as I can and hopefully get it low enough I can cover it with earth. Going to give it a go this weekend will let you know how it goes. Note: I am not at all a tree expert. The neighbors and myself were pretty terrified while I cut down those three trees.

-Jeffrey
In years past I dug out several tree stumps. Nothing much larger than 12 inches in circumference. If you want to get the entire stump out it will take a very significant amount of digging and until you get the TAP ROOT cut the stump is probably not going to come completely out. Of course most TAP ROOTS go directly down from the base of the stump.

Have fun and drink a lot of water while working.

PS: I would usually cut trees down leaving about 4-6 feet of trunk sticking out of the ground. I gives you a lot of leverage when you get almost all of the roots cut.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:10 pm

The type of roots you are dealing with can vary greatly depending on the species. Some send a big tap root pretty much straight down. Others don't send much root down but send out a lot of horizontal roots. The species could greatly affect some of the advice about digging or cutting it out.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:47 pm

I've removed a few stumps, larger oaks, maples, spruce and cedars. I dig around the stump and basically quarter it with a chain saw. I then use a sawzall below the dirt line to cut the roots then pull the stump out. None of the trees had a tap root.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Cut it off as flush as you can to the ground. Drill some holes in it, and then move on and forget about it for a couple years. Let nature take its course. I don't dump roundup or root rot in...don't really want the soil poisoned or pets getting into it.

I'm a glutton for punishment so I've taken an axe to a couple stumps to seal the deal in the past...depending on size and health of the trunk, it's not easy work. Hence, in the future, I'm going the lazy route.