Recommend toaster

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
montanagirl

Recommend toaster

Post by montanagirl »

Our kitchen reno is nearly finished, and now we need a toaster update. :happy

Can anyone recommend a good 2-hole replacement? Is there such thing as a "fast" toaster? Our Ham Beach seems to take forever on medium setting.
runner3081

Re: Recommend toaster

Post by runner3081 »

Have you considered ditching the toaster and going with something like an infra-red toaster oven?
badger42

Post by badger42 »

Breville Smart Oven. Not only did it replace the toaster, we use it more than we use the regular oven.

It also blows the old toaster out of the water in toasting flexibility (rolls, bagels, melting cheese on things, etc)
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I toast bread on the stovetop in a non-stick pan. My wife toasts it in the oven. We don't have bread very often for health reasons, though I know there are healthy breads out there.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

badger42 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm Breville Smart Oven. Not only did it replace the toaster, we use it more than we use the regular oven.

It also blows the old toaster out of the water in toasting flexibility (rolls, bagels, melting cheese on things, etc)
What size did you get?
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

Had a Cuisinart stainless steel 4 slice for years (also comes in a 2 slice). Works great and couldn’t be easier. Takes up little room. Use almost daily. Does not seem slow and is easily adjustable. Not a fan of toaster ovens.
Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

NJdad6 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:29 pm Had a Cuisinart stainless steel 4 slice for years (also comes in a 2 slice). Works great and couldn’t be easier. Takes up little room. Use almost daily. Does not seem slow and is easily adjustable. Not a fan of toaster ovens.
I'm not eager to sacrifice any extra counter space. We still won't have a lot. Won't get a Keurig for the same reason, or electric griddle or anything like that.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Breville makes a nice toaster. Real toaster, not a toaster oven.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

MrBobcat wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:23 pm
badger42 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm Breville Smart Oven. Not only did it replace the toaster, we use it more than we use the regular oven.

What size did you get?
We have the "standard" smart oven - BOV800XL
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

NJdad6 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:29 pm Had a Cuisinart stainless steel 4 slice for years (also comes in a 2 slice). Works great and couldn’t be easier. Takes up little room. Use almost daily. Does not seem slow and is easily adjustable. Not a fan of toaster ovens.
+1. 20 years and counting of daily usage.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Get a toaster ovens. So much more versatile than a toaster.

Great for individual size portions that call for coming in an oven.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I had a Breville. After a few years it started getting glitchy, and then one of the elements burned out. Plus the narrower version was too narrow for the artisan bread I buy, and the wider version did not get as good reviews.

I replaced it with a wide slot 2 slot Cuisinart toaster. Wirecutter seems to like Cuisinart and I trust them. It does not look as "sexy" as the Breville and looks cheaper, but so far I am pleased. It toasts at least as evenly as the Breville, I can get even the widest bread in the slots, and it was cheaper as well- I think no more than half the price. I can't find my model in a quick search....it may have been discontinued....but they have others that are similar.

I also have a toaster oven and find it very useful but not so much for toast. A dedicated toaster gets a lot hotter- the bread is close to the elements- and thus is much faster. And more even....at least my toaster oven has only two long heating elements on top and bottom. If you put the toast too far away it takes forever to toast bread. If you put it close it toasts very unevenly. I think that is the nature of toaster ovens.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

I have a Waring 2 Slice toaster and it works Great! Bought it from local department store with nicer kitchen brands, had it for a few years now, works great-never an issue, defrost & bagel are nice options, (bagel setting also works if you want to toast some buns)

http://www.waringpro.com/catalog.php?pc ... uct_id=547
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 pm Get a toaster ovens. So much more versatile than a toaster.

If you will use for other things might be a good option. Specific to toast (regular bread, English muffins, Bagels) nothing beats a standard dedicated toaster. Had toaster ovens previously and the thing they were worst at was making toast.

Can’t believe I am reading and posting on this topic. 😀
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

NJdad6 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:03 am
unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 pm Get a toaster ovens. So much more versatile than a toaster.

If you will use for other things might be a good option. Specific to toast (regular bread, English muffins, Bagels) nothing beats a standard dedicated toaster. Had toaster ovens previously and the thing they were worst at was making toast.

You didn't have the right toaster.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

unclescrooge wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm [quote=NJdad6 post_id=4603089 time=<a href="tel:1561039439">1561039439</a> user_id=119083]
[quote=unclescrooge post_id=4602619 time=<a href="tel:1560999678">1560999678</a> user_id=37789]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe. Parents have some high end Breville and still not impressed. Unless using for other things seems like a more expensive and complicated process for toasting slices of bread. Still can’t believe I am having this conversation.
Munir

Post by Munir »

A basic generic two-slice toaster by Amazon sells for about $15 if my memory is correct. Has bagel and defrost settings.
Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect »

If you buy a toaster oven make sure it has a built-in catch tray that you can hang below the grill plate. It reduces the chance of oil ignited fire.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

NJdad6 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:00 am
unclescrooge wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm [quote=NJdad6 post_id=4603089 time=<a href="tel:1561039439">1561039439</a> user_id=119083]
[quote=unclescrooge post_id=4602619 time=<a href="tel:1560999678">1560999678</a> user_id=37789]

[/quote]

Maybe. Parents have some high end Breville and still not impressed. Unless using for other things seems like a more expensive and complicated process for toasting slices of bread. Still can’t believe I am having this conversation.
[/quote]

:mrgreen:
Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Gee sorry the topic isn't impotent enough for you but it seems like everyday products that we used to take for granted aren't so reliable anymore. I wonder why. :twisted:

Was going to buy a Cuisinart toaster but then saw the reviews..
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

montanagirl wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:02 pm Gee sorry the topic isn't impotent enough for you but it seems like everyday products that we used to take for granted aren't so reliable anymore. I wonder why. :twisted:

Was going to buy a Cuisinart toaster but then saw the reviews..
I feel your pain! I remember the Toastmaster we had in the '50s. It just worked.

Today's toaster ovens are a pain. They can do so much more but they are lousy at making toast. They are slow. My fancy Breville toasts one side way more than the other so I have to flip the bread over part way through. I'm stuck with it because my wife likes it and won't commit additional counter space to a "redundant" toaster. Besides, she is not as fussy about toast as I am! She will use the bagel setting then put the bagels in upside down and not be bothered by the results!

My theory is that the old stuff didn't try to do so much so didn't get over-complicated. Over-complication is prone to failure -- like uneven toasting or getting misused (e.g. bagels). Hey! That's just like overly complex investment schemes!

It is telling that this is our third toaster oven in about 5-6 years. The others just broke down. At least the Breville still works.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
dadu007

Post by dadu007 »

I can relate. Our current toaster is a piece of junk. I bought it when our last one gave up the ghost.
Must have spent a week reading all sorts of reviews. There doesn't seem to be a dedicated toaster out there that "just works"!
This didn't seem to be a problem back in the 60s and 70s.
I have one of the first Breville countertop convection toaster ovens.
I use it a ton for cooking and reheating and love it for that, but I never use it for toast.
The electronic button contacts must be getting wonky; I press the button to turn the convention fan off or on and it changes the temp scale to Celsius or Fahrenheit back and forth!
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

You are a Boglehead. You can afford this.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/dualit-combi- ... shed/cd342
£132
Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm You are a Boglehead. You can afford this.

£132
Looks like an Airstream trailer
Trism

Post by Trism »

This Breville toaster will change your life.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AjNjJFGs4
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm You are a Boglehead. You can afford this.

£132
That's a 220V toaster. UK, not US.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Sandi_k wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 pm That's a 220V toaster. UK, not US.
Plug it into your dryer outlet.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:39 pm
Sandi_k wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 pm That's a 220V toaster. UK, not US.
Plug it into your dryer outlet.
:D