Prius vs Prius Prime (plug-in)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Topic Author
runner9
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: Ohio

Prius vs Prius Prime (plug-in)

Post by runner9 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am

I'm looking to replace my current vehicle in the next couple weeks. (We don't have a Prius or Toyota) We went to a dealership yesterday based on the Toyota Camry Hybrid in the April, 2019 Consumer Reports but also to look at the Prius because of it's write-up in the magazine. Test drove both and honestly am leaning towards the Prius.

I'm surprised by the lack of inventory, actually of both vehicles. For the Prius LE with front wheel drive there's only 11 within 100 miles and 3 are red which is no. (I'm right next to Cleveland). The dealer said they'll try to trade with a dealership if I find something I like but that's not a lot possibilities. In fact, to test drive it the dealer only had one Prius and it was in the middle of the showroom. My 9 year old loved watching them rearrange cars to get it outside.

Is this normal? I think I've figured out that the 2019s arrived in January, 2019 and the 2020 are most likely October so they're months away, that can't be it. I might consider a Prius Prime but there isn't one within 150 miles of here.

I usually try to ask several dealerships for their best price on a specific car, features, etc. via e-mail and then go with the lowest. I don't see that working in this case. Any thoughts or insight? Thanks!

UPDATED TO CHANGE QUESTION to why isn't the Prime more popular in places such as Ohio.
Last edited by runner9 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tea_pirate
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by tea_pirate » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am

Have you tried checking a car buying service like USAA offers? I think most of them charge a pretty fair shipping fee for delivery of anything that isn't available locally to you.

For what it's worth, I own a Prius and would not buy another one. After 4 years of ownership I'm tired of the stigma. I'm tired of getting coal rolled, cut off, tailgated, and people speeding up when I try to pass because their ego won't let them be passed by a "slow car". I know it's the car and not my driving since things like that happen much less frequently when I'm driving our Stinger or Corolla. And I live in the Northeast - I can't imagine what Prius owners in the south have to deal with.

I'd get a Honda Insight, Corolla Hybrid, or Camry Hybrid instead. Looks like a normal sedan and gets about the same fuel economy. Drivers of "stealth" hybrids like that do not report nearly as much harassment as Prius owners.

runner3081
Posts: 2173
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am
For what it's worth, I own a Prius and would not buy another one. After 4 years of ownership I'm tired of the stigma. I'm tired of getting coal rolled, cut off, tailgated, and people speeding up when I try to pass because their ego won't let them be passed by a "slow car". I know it's the car and not my driving since things like that happen much less frequently when I'm driving our Stinger or Corolla. And I live in the Northeast - I can't imagine what Prius owners in the south have to deal with.
Interesting. I tend to see a fair number of Prius drives who are reckless drivers themselves :)

I figured the Prius is old boring news these days and people wouldn't care (now that we are past the whole "smug cloud" fun being poked at them early on). Strange world we live in.
Last edited by runner3081 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9465
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am

Could be your area. I did a very quick search of dealers within 10 miles of me and found 20 new Prius cars.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

runner3081
Posts: 2173
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am
Could be your area. I did a very quick search of dealers within 10 miles of me and found 20 new Prius cars.
Autotrader has 143 new within 50 miles of me.

02nz
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by 02nz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 am

Worth checking out the new Corolla Hybrid, which has the same platform and hybrid powertrain as the Prius, in a more conventional shape. The interior is also more normal and arguably more ergonomically sound. It also has CarPlay, which the Prius still doesn't have.

User avatar
Psyayeayeduck
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:46 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:11 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am

For what it's worth, I own a Prius and would not buy another one. After 4 years of ownership I'm tired of the stigma. I'm tired of getting coal rolled, cut off, tailgated, and people speeding up when I try to pass because their ego won't let them be passed by a "slow car". I know it's the car and not my driving since things like that happen much less frequently when I'm driving our Stinger or Corolla. And I live in the Northeast - I can't imagine what Prius owners in the south have to deal with.

I'd get a Honda Insight, Corolla Hybrid, or Camry Hybrid instead. Looks like a normal sedan and gets about the same fuel economy. Drivers of "stealth" hybrids like that do not report nearly as much harassment as Prius owners.
Funny, I'm the complete opposite. I love my '07 Prius and will definitely buy another one if the situation demands it. I don't know why you give two s**** about the ego of other drivers. If their joy comes from the harassment of others, there are not good drivers/people in general. I'm not sacrificing my wallet (or my mental energy) on factors I can't control for strangers I don't care about.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 20722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:11 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am
Have you tried checking a car buying service like USAA offers? I think most of them charge a pretty fair shipping fee for delivery of anything that isn't available locally to you.
For what it's worth, I own a Prius and would not buy another one. After 4 years of ownership I'm tired of the stigma. I'm tired of getting coal rolled, cut off, tailgated, and people speeding up when I try to pass because their ego won't let them be passed by a "slow car". I know it's the car and not my driving since things like that happen much less frequently when I'm driving our Stinger or Corolla. And I live in the Northeast - I can't imagine what Prius owners in the south have to deal with.
I'd get a Honda Insight, Corolla Hybrid, or Camry Hybrid instead. Looks like a normal sedan and gets about the same fuel economy. Drivers of "stealth" hybrids like that do not report nearly as much harassment as Prius owners.
Interesting! In my area and among folks I associate with - owning a Prius seems to be some kind of positive "status symbol".

researcher
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by researcher » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am

runner9 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am
For the Prius LE with front wheel drive there's only 11 within 100 miles and 3 are red which is no. (I'm right next to Cleveland).

I usually try to ask several dealerships for their best price on a specific car, features, etc. via e-mail and then go with the lowest. I don't see that working in this case. Any thoughts or insight? Thanks!
If you expand your search radius just 50 miles, there are 35 matches from a dozen or more dealers.

That is more than enough vehicles & dealerships for the email negotiation tactic to work.
In fact, you only need 2-3 separate dealers for it to be successful, especially since you are doing this at the end of a quarter.

TBillT
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by TBillT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:34 am

2006 Prius here...best car ever. Orig brake shoes here at 185k miles.
Not sure what we do next, but probably hybrid Cmary. RAV4 or Prius...maybe Corolla was not aware that one.
Actually Prius v "wagon" would be my clear choice, but that would have to be used now.
If you do not need cargo space you could consider Prius Prime plug-in, which seems to be outselling Prius now, or getting there.
Like the Prius v, I never know whether people are not buying Prius or Toyota is trying to encourage buyers to other models. RAV4H the new rage.

How about visit DC on July 4th? I can imagine we must have a ton of Prii at the Va/Md Beltway dealers.

onourway
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by onourway » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am
Have you tried checking a car buying service like USAA offers? I think most of them charge a pretty fair shipping fee for delivery of anything that isn't available locally to you.

For what it's worth, I own a Prius and would not buy another one. After 4 years of ownership I'm tired of the stigma. I'm tired of getting coal rolled, cut off, tailgated, and people speeding up when I try to pass because their ego won't let them be passed by a "slow car". I know it's the car and not my driving since things like that happen much less frequently when I'm driving our Stinger or Corolla. And I live in the Northeast - I can't imagine what Prius owners in the south have to deal with.

I'd get a Honda Insight, Corolla Hybrid, or Camry Hybrid instead. Looks like a normal sedan and gets about the same fuel economy. Drivers of "stealth" hybrids like that do not report nearly as much harassment as Prius owners.
I highly, highly doubt this has anything to do with you driving a Prius and is rather your own subjective impressions of the actions of others around you perhaps combined with your actual driving habits which may be subconsciously different as you drive a vehicle that does everything it can to coach you into driving efficiently. I owned a Prius in the NE and never felt I was treated any differently than in any of our other vehicles. One can be a confident, commanding driver in a Prius just like any other vehicle. The Prius has long since become invisible to the greater populace at large. Nobody notices one unless you do something to attract that notice.

researcher
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by researcher » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:21 am

onourway wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 am
The Prius has long since become invisible to the greater populace at large. Nobody notices one unless you do something to attract that notice.
The only time I notice Prius drivers are when they blow past me at 80+ MPH on the highway.
So much for efficiency.

TBillT
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by TBillT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 am

I'd say some drivers instinctively try to get ahead of me in a Prius, but I am usually going at least speed limit. Might be location dependent but in northern Va. we have lots of Prii.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 20722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:38 am

TBillT wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 am
I'd say some drivers instinctively try to get ahead of me in a Prius, but I am usually going at least speed limit. Might be location dependent but in northern Va. we have lots of Prii.
Never drove one, but ridden in one several times. I did not notice and deficiency in the Prius in acceleration of performance.

ssquared87
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 am

Get a Honda Insight hybrid instead. It blows away the Prius in every respect. Reviews have been extremely positive of the insight and it’s won every comparison it’s had vs the Prius.

tea_pirate
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by tea_pirate » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 am

Psyayeayeduck wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:11 am
tea_pirate wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am

For what it's worth, I own a Prius and would not buy another one. After 4 years of ownership I'm tired of the stigma. I'm tired of getting coal rolled, cut off, tailgated, and people speeding up when I try to pass because their ego won't let them be passed by a "slow car". I know it's the car and not my driving since things like that happen much less frequently when I'm driving our Stinger or Corolla. And I live in the Northeast - I can't imagine what Prius owners in the south have to deal with.

I'd get a Honda Insight, Corolla Hybrid, or Camry Hybrid instead. Looks like a normal sedan and gets about the same fuel economy. Drivers of "stealth" hybrids like that do not report nearly as much harassment as Prius owners.
Funny, I'm the complete opposite. I love my '07 Prius and will definitely buy another one if the situation demands it. I don't know why you give two s**** about the ego of other drivers. If their joy comes from the harassment of others, there are not good drivers/people in general. I'm not sacrificing my wallet (or my mental energy) on factors I can't control for strangers I don't care about.
I don't care what some random losers on the road think. I care what they do when they create dangerous situations when they're playing "get in front of the Prius."
onourway wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 am
tea_pirate wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am
Have you tried checking a car buying service like USAA offers? I think most of them charge a pretty fair shipping fee for delivery of anything that isn't available locally to you.

For what it's worth, I own a Prius and would not buy another one. After 4 years of ownership I'm tired of the stigma. I'm tired of getting coal rolled, cut off, tailgated, and people speeding up when I try to pass because their ego won't let them be passed by a "slow car". I know it's the car and not my driving since things like that happen much less frequently when I'm driving our Stinger or Corolla. And I live in the Northeast - I can't imagine what Prius owners in the south have to deal with.

I'd get a Honda Insight, Corolla Hybrid, or Camry Hybrid instead. Looks like a normal sedan and gets about the same fuel economy. Drivers of "stealth" hybrids like that do not report nearly as much harassment as Prius owners.
I highly, highly doubt this has anything to do with you driving a Prius and is rather your own subjective impressions of the actions of others around you perhaps combined with your actual driving habits which may be subconsciously different as you drive a vehicle that does everything it can to coach you into driving efficiently. I owned a Prius in the NE and never felt I was treated any differently than in any of our other vehicles. One can be a confident, commanding driver in a Prius just like any other vehicle. The Prius has long since become invisible to the greater populace at large. Nobody notices one unless you do something to attract that notice.
Doubt it, I played the fuel economy game when I got the car but I've long since stopped caring and have driven it like a normal car for over 100k miles. I essentially ignore all the "Eco" indicators and I have no qualms with putting the pedal to the floor, especially when merging onto the highway. There is little overall difference in how I drive the Prius versus the Stinger which has 3x the horsepower other than the obvious that the latter gets me up to speed much faster.

Winston19
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by Winston19 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:15 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 am
Get a Honda Insight hybrid instead. It blows away the Prius in every respect. Reviews have been extremely positive of the insight and it’s won every comparison it’s had vs the Prius.
I recently test drove an insight hybrid and a Camry LE hybrid. I thought the Camry was significantly better. The insight was loud, felt cheap, the transmission was loud and annoying and the ride was OK. The Camry was smooth, quiet, and powerful.

ssquared87
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:19 am

Winston19 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:15 am
ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 am
Get a Honda Insight hybrid instead. It blows away the Prius in every respect. Reviews have been extremely positive of the insight and it’s won every comparison it’s had vs the Prius.
I recently test drove an insight hybrid and a Camry LE hybrid. I thought the Camry was significantly better. The insight was loud, felt cheap, the transmission was loud and annoying and the ride was OK. The Camry was smooth, quiet, and powerful.
Camry is a level above the insight, the insight is more of a competitor to the Prius than it is to the larger more well equipped Camry hybrid. Since OP mentioned Prius, I suggested it’s direct and superior competitor.

Also, there’s a big difference in fit and finish between the base insight and the touring trim level

User avatar
Psyayeayeduck
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:46 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 am

I don't care what some random losers on the road think. I care what they do when they create dangerous situations when they're playing "get in front of the Prius."

There will always be dangerous situations on the road regardless of the type of car you drive. Being aware is part of being a good driver. There will always be the one that speeds too much, the one that cuts off people, the one that zigzags through traffic, the one that is always on the phone, the one that doesn't use turning signals, the one that crosses multiple lanes of traffic at a whim to make an upcoming turn, the one that drives slower than the flow of traffic, the one that drinks and drive, the one that thinks their vehicle can survive a snow covered road, the one that thinks that they can cross raging waters in a storm/flood, etc.

I don't know how driving a Prius fits into the equation. I've seen this while driving all kinds of vehicles -- from a rundown Honda Civic to a pick-up truck.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9465
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 am

Yes, Camry hybrid vs Insight.....you could also compare Lexus ES350 to a Civic and come to a similar conclusion.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

megabad
Posts: 1808
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by megabad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:48 am

runner9 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am
Any thoughts or insight?
My thoughts are: What's the problem? This is great!

Prius sales have been atrocious for years (despite the fact that I think they are good vehicles). The fact that they stock few of them means they are hard to move. To me, this screams easy negotiation. Sounds like a great help to you!

Winston19
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by Winston19 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 am
Yes, Camry hybrid vs Insight.....you could also compare Lexus ES350 to a Civic and come to a similar conclusion.
Depends which insight model you look at. The insight touring msrp is only about $200 less than a Camry LE hybrid. Considering Toyota's more frequent incentives and discounts the Camry is likely cheaper.

mmmodem
Posts: 1623
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by mmmodem » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:46 pm

One thing to consider is that due to the hatchback form factor of the Prius, it may appear that aggressive drivers are tailgating you more closely when in fact they are following no closer than they would any other car. It's just that you can see through the unattractive tailgate plus you don't have a trunk as a cushion. It only appears other drivers are more dangerous when driving your Prius.

I dislike my Prius due to its poor driving dynamics but if I had to replace it I'm getting another one. It's just the most economical way to drive. Electricity costs more for me compared to a Prius. I see no reason to throw more money into a chore I already hate.

Some other benefits I found from driving a Prius. It uses tiny 15" tires i.e. cheap to replace tires versus the contemporary 17" and 18". In fact, maintenance is lower than for a Prius than a Camry. Insurance is low as few would steal a Prius and few would get into accidents "driving so slowly." That's what I assume anyway.

The strategy of emailing dealers until you get the lowest price will still work in this case because the Prius may not be abundant where you are but it is elsewhere. If the dealer wants to sell you a Prius, they'll find one. They're not really scarce in they least. Don't overpay just because they local dealer had the exact trim and color you want. With gasoline prices low, you have the upper hand in negotiations. Good luck!

dustinst22
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by dustinst22 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm

There is low inventory because the demand is dropping off the cliff. Toyota is simply reducing stock. Today everyone wants crossovers and SUVs.

"The popularity of the Toyota Prius is shrinking faster than the polar icecaps. In 2016, sales dipped below 100,000 units for the first time since 2004. And even with the January arrival of the new 2019 AWD-e model—which Toyota says should be good for a quarter of sales—the company's flagship hybrid is expected to sell just 50,000 units this year."

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 20722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm
There is low inventory because the demand is dropping off the cliff. Toyota is simply reducing stock. Today everyone wants crossovers and SUVs.

"The popularity of the Toyota Prius is shrinking faster than the polar icecaps. In 2016, sales dipped below 100,000 units for the first time since 2004. And even with the January arrival of the new 2019 AWD-e model—which Toyota says should be good for a quarter of sales—the company's flagship hybrid is expected to sell just 50,000 units this year."
Wow! That seems surprising to me.

I wonder If the addition of the Hybrid option to other Toyota models is a reason?

Winston19
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by Winston19 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:22 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm
There is low inventory because the demand is dropping off the cliff. Toyota is simply reducing stock. Today everyone wants crossovers and SUVs.

"The popularity of the Toyota Prius is shrinking faster than the polar icecaps. In 2016, sales dipped below 100,000 units for the first time since 2004. And even with the January arrival of the new 2019 AWD-e model—which Toyota says should be good for a quarter of sales—the company's flagship hybrid is expected to sell just 50,000 units this year."
Wow! That seems surprising to me.

I wonder If the addition of the Hybrid option to other Toyota models is a reason?
I think other Toyota models and models from other manufacturers that are not as ugly and drive better is probably a big factor, along with low gas prices, and people's love of crossovers.

researcher
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by researcher » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Winston19 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:22 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 pm
Wow! That seems surprising to me.
I wonder If the addition of the Hybrid option to other Toyota models is a reason?
I think other Toyota models and models from other manufacturers that are not as ugly and drive better is probably a big factor, along with low gas prices, and people's love of crossovers.
This is correct. Strong economy + low gas prices + desire for SUVs = bad news for Prius and hybrid cars in general.

I was recently at a Honda dealership...
Lined up prominently along the front of the building were about a dozen cars, all of them hybrids.
Insights, Civic Hybrids and Accord Hybrids. They all had "$X,000 OFF" scrawled on the windshields.
I asked the Sales Manager if the strong economy and gas prices have dried up the hybrid market. He reluctantly shook his head yes.

User avatar
Topic Author
runner9
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by runner9 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 pm

Thank you all for your input. We were on an overnight trip to Columbus. There are more down there (2.5 hours away) and we looked at a few this morning.

As I keep reading I can't help but stop to consider the 2020 Prius Prime which is out in a few places (cars.com has 80 nationwide) including one place close by. I haven't called to verify.

It has 5 seats and Apple CarPlay. It has a $4,500 tax credit and costs about that same amount more. It goes 25 miles on electric alone. I know there are others that go farther but I like to reliability of the brand and company. 25 miles is about 10 miles more than my daily round trip. Our electric rate for May (last bill) was 5.22 cents per kWH. It is only FWD, and a friend has an older prius and hates it in the snow belt winters, actually puts snow tires on it yearly.

Thoughts appreciated.

FoolStreet
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by FoolStreet » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 pm

runner9 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am
I'm looking to replace my current vehicle in the next couple weeks. (We don't have a Prius or Toyota) We went to a dealership yesterday based on the Toyota Camry Hybrid in the April, 2019 Consumer Reports but also to look at the Prius because of it's write-up in the magazine. Test drove both and honestly am leaning towards the Prius.

I'm surprised by the lack of inventory, actually of both vehicles. For the Prius LE with front wheel drive there's only 11 within 100 miles and 3 are red which is no. (I'm right next to Cleveland). The dealer said they'll try to trade with a dealership if I find something I like but that's not a lot possibilities. In fact, to test drive it the dealer only had one Prius and it was in the middle of the showroom. My 9 year old loved watching them rearrange cars to get it outside.

Is this normal? I think I've figured out that the 2019s arrived in January, 2019 and the 2020 are most likely October so they're months away, that can't be it. I might consider a Prius Prime but there isn't one within 150 miles of here.

I usually try to ask several dealerships for their best price on a specific car, features, etc. via e-mail and then go with the lowest. I don't see that working in this case. Any thoughts or insight? Thanks!
Really suggest you consider the Tesla Model 3. An amazing car and no gas ever! Tons of charging stations available (see map on via chargepoint.com website). Wake up every morning with a full tank of gas!

FoolStreet
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by FoolStreet » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 pm

runner9 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am
I'm looking to replace my current vehicle in the next couple weeks. (We don't have a Prius or Toyota) We went to a dealership yesterday based on the Toyota Camry Hybrid in the April, 2019 Consumer Reports but also to look at the Prius because of it's write-up in the magazine. Test drove both and honestly am leaning towards the Prius.

I'm surprised by the lack of inventory, actually of both vehicles. For the Prius LE with front wheel drive there's only 11 within 100 miles and 3 are red which is no. (I'm right next to Cleveland). The dealer said they'll try to trade with a dealership if I find something I like but that's not a lot possibilities. In fact, to test drive it the dealer only had one Prius and it was in the middle of the showroom. My 9 year old loved watching them rearrange cars to get it outside.

Is this normal? I think I've figured out that the 2019s arrived in January, 2019 and the 2020 are most likely October so they're months away, that can't be it. I might consider a Prius Prime but there isn't one within 150 miles of here.

I usually try to ask several dealerships for their best price on a specific car, features, etc. via e-mail and then go with the lowest. I don't see that working in this case. Any thoughts or insight? Thanks!
Really suggest you consider the Tesla Model 3. An amazing car and no gas ever! Tons of charging stations available (see map on via chargepoint.com website). Wake up every morning with a full tank of gas!

onourway
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by onourway » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 am

The Prime is a great option, and with the tax credit, very price competitive. It actually feels like I see nearly as many Prime’s as regular new Prii these days. The regular FWD Prius will be ok in winter, preferably with snow tires, and so long as you remain on regularly cleared roads.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9465
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 am

FoolStreet wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Really suggest you consider the Tesla Model 3. An amazing car and no gas ever! Tons of charging stations available (see map on via chargepoint.com website). Wake up every morning with a full tank of gas!
Prius Prime MSRP is $27,300 and deals are easy because they aren't selling. Which Model 3 could the OP buy with that same $27,300?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ncbill
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by ncbill » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:45 am

runner9 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 pm
Thank you all for your input. We were on an overnight trip to Columbus. There are more down there (2.5 hours away) and we looked at a few this morning.

As I keep reading I can't help but stop to consider the 2020 Prius Prime which is out in a few places (cars.com has 80 nationwide) including one place close by. I haven't called to verify.

It has 5 seats and Apple CarPlay. It has a $4,500 tax credit and costs about that same amount more. It goes 25 miles on electric alone. I know there are others that go farther but I like to reliability of the brand and company. 25 miles is about 10 miles more than my daily round trip. Our electric rate for May (last bill) was 5.22 cents per kWH. It is only FWD, and a friend has an older prius and hates it in the snow belt winters, actually puts snow tires on it yearly.

Thoughts appreciated.
As you've found, the Prime is often the better deal over the 'regular' Prius, especially if you also get a state tax credit.

With your dirt-cheap electric rates, I'd go for it.

student
Posts: 3381
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by student » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:53 am

02nz wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 am
Worth checking out the new Corolla Hybrid, which has the same platform and hybrid powertrain as the Prius, in a more conventional shape. The interior is also more normal and arguably more ergonomically sound. It also has CarPlay, which the Prius still doesn't have.
+1. The only negative about it is that it does not have blind spot monitor.

student
Posts: 3381
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by student » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:57 am

onourway wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 am
The Prime is a great option, and with the tax credit, very price competitive. It actually feels like I see nearly as many Prime’s as regular new Prii these days. The regular FWD Prius will be ok in winter, preferably with snow tires, and so long as you remain on regularly cleared roads.
You can now get a new Prius with electric AWD.

student
Posts: 3381
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by student » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:58 am

Hyundai and Kia also have several options of hybrid and plug-in hybrid.

onourway
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by onourway » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:07 am

student wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:57 am
onourway wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 am
The Prime is a great option, and with the tax credit, very price competitive. It actually feels like I see nearly as many Prime’s as regular new Prii these days. The regular FWD Prius will be ok in winter, preferably with snow tires, and so long as you remain on regularly cleared roads.
You can now get a new Prius with electric AWD.
Yes, but the Prime is not.

FoolStreet
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by FoolStreet » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:42 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 am
FoolStreet wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Really suggest you consider the Tesla Model 3. An amazing car and no gas ever! Tons of charging stations available (see map on via chargepoint.com website). Wake up every morning with a full tank of gas!
Prius Prime MSRP is $27,300 and deals are easy because they aren't selling. Which Model 3 could the OP buy with that same $27,300?
The Tesla is 37k, with incentives it gets down to 35 or less depending on location. No gas and no maintenance required gets the tco pretty darn close to 27k. The reason the prime isn't selling is because people are buying the Tesla for some reason ;-)

student
Posts: 3381
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by student » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 am

onourway wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:07 am
student wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:57 am
onourway wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 am
The Prime is a great option, and with the tax credit, very price competitive. It actually feels like I see nearly as many Prime’s as regular new Prii these days. The regular FWD Prius will be ok in winter, preferably with snow tires, and so long as you remain on regularly cleared roads.
You can now get a new Prius with electric AWD.
Yes, but the Prime is not.
Correct.

MI_bogle
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by MI_bogle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:07 am

runner9 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 pm
It is only FWD, and a friend has an older prius and hates it in the snow belt winters, actually puts snow tires on it yearly.

Thoughts appreciated.
I have a newer Prius and live in the lake effect snow belt. Frankly, my experience with the new generation of Prius is that it's great in the snow with snow tires.

As long as you aren't offroading or trying to ram your way thru a big plow berm - ground clearance is an issue. But you'd have issues with any sedan doing either of those things

I drive 25K a year in the snowbelt FWIW. Have used Blizzaks and X-Ice snow tires. Not sure about which snow tires your friend uses or what their driving capabilities are like. Experiences and opinions vary widely, obviously

stoptothink
Posts: 5714
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 am

FoolStreet wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:42 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 am
FoolStreet wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Really suggest you consider the Tesla Model 3. An amazing car and no gas ever! Tons of charging stations available (see map on via chargepoint.com website). Wake up every morning with a full tank of gas!
Prius Prime MSRP is $27,300 and deals are easy because they aren't selling. Which Model 3 could the OP buy with that same $27,300?
The Tesla is 37k, with incentives it gets down to 35 or less depending on location. No gas and no maintenance required gets the tco pretty darn close to 27k. The reason the prime isn't selling is because people are buying the Tesla for some reason ;-)
There had to be one...the prius prime also qualifies for tax credit and various incentives. No doubt the model 3 is a more fun car to drive, but there is, at bare minimum, an >$10k difference in the two vehicles. Not to mention insurance will be substantially cheaper and with the OP's commute, sounds like they'll rarely need gas in the Toyota. And reliability; I'm trusting the Toyota.

MildlyEccentric
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by MildlyEccentric » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 am

Our 2006 Prius has served us well. It has over 200,000 miles on the odometer, and is still going. Maintenance costs have been low, but I generally do my own repairs. It's been comfortable on trips, and there is reasonable room in the back seats. Gas mileage for me is probably 45 mpg currently, but it used to be over 50 when the traction battery was newer. I'm not a hypermiler, so I just drive normally. One issue is in Northern Virginia it's kind of a boring car, but, for me, getting from point A to point B reliably, comfortably and cheaply is more important than having an exciting car.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3682
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:12 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm
There is low inventory because the demand is dropping off the cliff. Toyota is simply reducing stock. Today everyone wants crossovers and SUVs.

"The popularity of the Toyota Prius is shrinking faster than the polar icecaps. In 2016, sales dipped below 100,000 units for the first time since 2004. And even with the January arrival of the new 2019 AWD-e model—which Toyota says should be good for a quarter of sales—the company's flagship hybrid is expected to sell just 50,000 units this year."
Wow! That seems surprising to me.

I wonder If the addition of the Hybrid option to other Toyota models is a reason?
Well the new retro 50's spacecar back end its even uglier than the gerbil mobile.

pahkcah
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by pahkcah » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:16 am

Have 2013 Prius which is a wonderful car, but this thread did bring to mind one of George Carlin's sayings:
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

02nz
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by 02nz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 am

You might also look at the Hyundai Ioniq, available as a regular hybrid, plugin, or pure EV. Several reviews say drives better than the Prius. Certainly less weird-looking.

dustinst22
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by dustinst22 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:00 pm

FoolStreet wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:42 am
No gas and no maintenance required gets the tco pretty darn close to 27k. The reason the prime isn't selling is because people are buying the Tesla for some reason ;-)

No maintenance? Ha! I wish. My tesla has had quite a bit of maintenance over 131 K miles, similar to my previous BMW. Perhaps you mean no oil changes? Big difference. Don't fall for marketing gimmicks. The prime is a much more sensible choice in terms of total cost of ownership.

User avatar
Topic Author
runner9
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: Ohio

Prius vs. Prius Prime

Post by runner9 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Thank you all. Here's a slightly different question: why would one buy the regular Prius over the Prius Plug-in if they have a low electric rate?

The plug-in (called Prius Prime) has slightly smaller trunk and is missing the middle seat in the back row (seats 4 not 5). Otherwise, it's more money but with the $4,500 tax credit it's equal or less than the regular Prius. It gets slightly better gas mileage with no charge and 133 per gallon equivalent with charge.

My big issue is the lack of availability. There's one 2019 within 100 miles which we say today. The 2020 has the 5th seat and Apple Car Play but that's a build which is 2-3 months with no promises. It was explained to us that it takes up to 2 months from port in Oregon to get to Ohio.

Trying to decide what to do, but also wondering why they aren't more popular in ohio. (Last month we paid 5.22 cents per KWH for electricity.) We're pretty set on some Toyota Prius because of the company and brand reliability.

02nz
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Prius vs. Prius Prime

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:58 pm

runner9 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:53 pm
Thank you all. Here's a slightly different question: why would one buy the regular Prius over the Prius Plug-in if they have a low electric rate?

The plug-in (called Prius Prime) has slightly smaller trunk and is missing the middle seat in the back row (seats 4 not 5). Otherwise, it's more money but with the $4,500 tax credit it's equal or less than the regular Prius. It gets slightly better gas mileage with no charge and 133 per gallon equivalent with charge.

My big issue is the lack of availability. There's one 2019 within 100 miles which we say today. The 2020 has the 5th seat and Apple Car Play but that's a build which is 2-3 months with no promises. It was explained to us that it takes up to 2 months from port in Oregon to get to Ohio.

Trying to decide what to do, but also wondering why they aren't more popular in ohio. (Last month we paid 5.22 cents per KWH for electricity.) We're pretty set on some Toyota Prius because of the company and brand reliability.
The main reason would be if you couldn't capture the full amount of the tax credit. But otherwise it makes a lot of sense to go for the plug-in, especially as there are often other incentives (e.g., HOV lane stickers, state tax credits, utility rebates), although Ohio may not be a place that offers these. I also think the Prime is marginally better looking (well, less hideous) than the regular Prius, although the regular Prius got a nip-and-tuck for '19 to make it look less polarizing.

TravelGeek
Posts: 3011
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Low Prius Inventory-change strategy?

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:16 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm
There is low inventory because the demand is dropping off the cliff. Toyota is simply reducing stock. Today everyone wants crossovers and SUVs.

"The popularity of the Toyota Prius is shrinking faster than the polar icecaps. In 2016, sales dipped below 100,000 units for the first time since 2004. And even with the January arrival of the new 2019 AWD-e model—which Toyota says should be good for a quarter of sales—the company's flagship hybrid is expected to sell just 50,000 units this year."
Wow! That seems surprising to me.

I wonder If the addition of the Hybrid option to other Toyota models is a reason?
We have driven Priuses since 2003. Reliable and very economical vehicles for our needs. However, when we got ready to get a new vehicle last year, we were looking for a fully electric vehicle, but Toyota didn’t have anything to offer, so we shopped and bought elsewhere. In talking with other EV owners, our story is a common theme.

Quaestner
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Prius vs. Prius Prime

Post by Quaestner » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:45 pm

runner9 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:53 pm
Thank you all. Here's a slightly different question: why would one buy the regular Prius over the Prius Plug-in if they have a low electric rate?
Scared of new tech? Want to appear green, but not "ultra-green"? Don't drive enough to make it cost effective? Drive so much the 30 mile electric range is not meaningful? Not enough income to claim the tax-credit? Impatient because they can't get the Prime they want easily? (I got my Prime in RI. I live in NM. Long story.) I'm satisfied with the Prime!

Post Reply