How to take care of this mold in the bathroom

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
katnok

How to take care of this mold in the bathroom

Post by katnok »

What is the right way to take care of this mold in one of our bathrooms?

https://i.postimg.cc/gkjtcPx3/IMG-5409.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/ryngPYfs/IMG-5408-2.jpg

Thank you for your advice.
euroswiss

Re: How to take care of this mold in the bathroom

Post by euroswiss »

Looks like Sheetrock? If so, remove the quarter round, cut the sheetrock a few inches past the damage with a horizontal cut, and replace. Mud the seam, sand, paint. Clean and re-install the quarter round.
This looks like something that has been slowly emerging over an extended period of time, probably caused by some water finding it’s way past a “not always 100% closed” sliding glass shower door to the right? If so, just try to always keep the door as tight as possible.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Replace the base moulding (it is not sheetrock as stated above). Make sure the moulding is wood or PVC (not particle board/mdf). Spray the rest of the area with 1:10 bleach:water or tilex, let sit for 5 minutes and wipe clean. Figure out why the shower/tub is leaking and fix that. Can't see the picture but if you have a shower door it needs to be sealed with clear silicone where it meets the tub on the outside only.

-8 years in the bathroom/kitchen remodeling industry.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

1. Find and fix where water is getting from the shower to the wall/baseboard.
2. Remove old caulk where the shower door frame meets the wall and where it sits on the shower tray.
2. Remove the damaged/rotted base trim on the damaged wall, clean and repair the wall, install new trim along the wall, repaint the trim and the wall starting with a primer like Kilz.
3. Recaulk the shower door frame to the wall and to the shower tray.
4. Check that water from the shower is not getting on or into the wall. Fix any leaks or replace the shower door.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

FI4LIFE wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 am Replace the base moulding (it is not sheetrock as stated above). Make sure the moulding is wood or PVC (not particle board/mdf). Spray the rest of the area with 1:10 bleach:water or tilex, let sit for 5 minutes and wipe clean. Figure out why the shower/tub is leaking and fix that. Can't see the picture but if you have a shower door it needs to be sealed with clear silicone where it meets the tub on the outside only.

-8 years in the bathroom/kitchen remodeling industry.
+1
Good advice.

This is a common when near a shower.
It is not sheetrock. It is MDF or composite, or similar.

Looks like you have a tub shower on the right and the left is a return wall. That's a really nasty spot for water damage.

Follow procedure above. Bleach is fine. Fix all leaks and let things dry out and make sure that it stays dry or your new work will be for nothing.
2 options.

1. Replace baseboard, panel, and trim. Prime with solid oil base primer (IE Bullseye, etc), caulk, paint. (good result cosmetically)
or
2. Remove baseboard. Clean out all rotted material. Patch. Seal. Caulk. Paint. (marginal result cosmetically)

pricey option, but permanent.
If your bathroom is somewhat remodeled and the floor tile or some trim tile were to cover that side return wall up to the height of that trim, then you'd be really solving that problem. Preventing shower splash in that spot is tough.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

FI4LIFE wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 am Make sure the moulding is wood or PVC (not particle board/mdf).
Yeah, MDF baseboard is just a sponge.

Good advice above.

We had a drain leak in the wall, the MDF just soaked up the water and was moldy about 6-feet out on both sides. Added a fair amount of drywall work.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

Thank you all for the advice!

I'm not a handyman, so I guess I will have to get someone to do the job.

Not exactly sure how the water is getting there though. Will get this figured out to prevent recurrence.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Run the water or have a family member shower and just watch. You'll figure it out.
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

I have always been told to NEVER use bleach on mold because it can make the spores pop and release airborne toxins.

I sprayed a mixture of vinegar and water, let soak overnight, then sprayed again and used a abrasive scrubber to remove the mold that was behind my bathroom baseboards. I did this two times over a four day period. I then let the area dry out for a week, then I covered in a Kilz mildew paint with two coats.