Bandaid that doesn't absorb medicine?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
samsdad

Bandaid that doesn't absorb medicine?

Post by samsdad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Given the weird stuff people know around here, I thought I'd ask here first. :happy

One of my 18-month-old twins fell at daycare last week and ended up with a gouge in her forehead. :( Four stitches later, and after talking with a plastic surgeon we got this stuff called "strataderm" to put on it now that the stitches are out. Anyways, it's supposed to dry up into a film that helps protect and heal the wound. It's supposed to be on like this 24 hours a day.

Here's the problem: We have to put a bandaid on over it because, well, she's 18 months old and has the uncanny ability to rub that stuff off fairly quickly, purposefully or not. But, I've noticed that the bandaid tends to suck up the medicine before it can dry. (I took off a bandaid shortly after putting it on and discovered this.)

Waiting 5-10 minutes for it to dry, while trying to keep her from messing with her face even inadvertently is usually not possible.

Is there a bandaid type thing that doesn't have the gauze-like middle that won't suck up the medicine that you know of? I thought of those bandaids for blisters, but if I recall correctly, they usually have a pretty stout adhesive (so you can keep them on the area that your usually rubbing a lot hence the blister) and that won't work on her forehead.

Thoughts?

greenflamingo

Re: Bandaid that doesn't absorb medicine?

Post by greenflamingo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Maybe Hydro Seal from bandaid? If it dries in a half hour and then is ok, screen time can be an effective tool.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 pm

What you probably want is Tegaderm.

Topic Author
samsdad

Post by samsdad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 pm
What you probably want is Tegaderm.
That looks promising. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 am

Please review instructions for use as you might be using too much if it is really taking over 5 minutes to dry. Also, I would think any bandage is going to slow proper drying. Maybe a call to the physician’s office might help.

How about ice cream or another diversion for the 3-4 minutes of drying time?

BAM!

Post by BAM! » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:28 am

perhaps you're looking for a type of gauze called "nonadherent".

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:30 am

Tegaderm

Topic Author
samsdad

Post by samsdad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 am

Katietsu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 am
Please review instructions for use as you might be using too much if it is really taking over 5 minutes to dry. Also, I would think any bandage is going to slow proper drying. Maybe a call to the physician’s office might help.

How about ice cream or another diversion for the 3-4 minutes of drying time?
Yeah, I might be applying too much. I’ll try having an ice cream and/or watching a screen for a few minutes and see if that makes the wait go by quicker... :o

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 am

I can also vouch for tegaderm. I got sent home with extra tegaderm after a doctor visit a few years ago, and I've been using it for medium and large wounds ever since then. Great stuff.

Does anybody know of a cheaper off-brand name for the same sort of stuff? I'll need to re-up my supply soon.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 am

{Topic is locked; seeking medical advice.} rules#rule-4c.
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.