Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Ykcor
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Ykcor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm

DW wants to move up to three row SUV to haul around grandkids. Love the Ascent but dealership 60 miles from home and Toyota dealerships 15 miles from home. Any thoughts here?

bob60014
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by bob60014 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm

What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?

stoptothink
Posts: 5720
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:49 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm
What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?
Thinking the same thing, I'd certainly drive an extra 90 miles round trip once to purchase the car that I wanted. What difference does the location of the dealership make? The Ascent is the hot kid-hauler around here, but I tend to lean towards Toyota because my family has had horrible experiences with Subaru reliability.

retiredjg
Posts: 36758
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:02 pm

I would buy the Highlander because I found the Subaru CVT transmission very annoying. It was OK on the test drive and the first few months. Then I disliked it so much that I sold the darn thing.

Edited to add....I replaced it with a Highlander. :happy
Last edited by retiredjg on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X528
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by X528 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Ykcor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm
DW wants to move up to three row SUV to haul around grandkids. Love the Ascent but dealership 60 miles from home and Toyota dealerships 15 miles from home. Any thoughts here?
Toyota/Lexus Fanboy here. I've never had a problem with any Toyota or Lexus vehicles over the years. The quality and reliability of these brands are top notch IMHO. I currently have a 2010 Toyota Camry (bought new) and a 2010 Lexus RX 350 (bought certified used at 2 years old). I would recommend looking at the Toyota Highlander. I don't have any experience with Subarus though.

User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 2028
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by fortfun » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Love our Highlander. 10 years old with 106k miles--zero problems. Change the oil and filters once a year--that's it!

OCDinvestor
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 2:16 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by OCDinvestor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Ykcor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm
DW wants to move up to three row SUV to haul around grandkids. Love the Ascent but dealership 60 miles from home and Toyota dealerships 15 miles from home. Any thoughts here?
Have you tried sitting in the third row of the Highlander? It’s a joke of a third row. My wife has Ascent and we love it.

User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 4637
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Nate79 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 pm

6 months with our Ascent and love it. Just got back from a vacation a few hrs drive away and kept thinking to myself how wonderful it drives and very comfortable. And the Eyesight and adaptive cruise is amazing.

User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 2028
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by fortfun » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:24 pm

OCDinvestor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:16 pm
Ykcor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm
DW wants to move up to three row SUV to haul around grandkids. Love the Ascent but dealership 60 miles from home and Toyota dealerships 15 miles from home. Any thoughts here?
Have you tried sitting in the third row of the Highlander? It’s a joke of a third row. My wife has Ascent and we love it.
Definitely designed for kids but our 10 and 12 year old still fit comfortably in our Highlander's third row. Ours is a 2010. They may be smaller now...

livesoft
Posts: 66933
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:29 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 pm
And the Eyesight and adaptive cruise is amazing.
Almost all cars have adaptive cruise control nowadays, so it is not something special about Subarus anymore. Eyesight is visible light, but others use radar. Lane assist, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic warning are available in almost all late model vehicles ... including Subarus and Toyotas.

Eyesight doesn't work in a blizzard nor in heavy rain.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:29 pm
Nate79 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 pm
And the Eyesight and adaptive cruise is amazing.
Almost all cars have adaptive cruise control nowadays, so it is not something special about Subarus anymore. Eyesight is visible light, but others use radar. Lane assist, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic warning are available in almost all late model vehicles ... including Subarus and Toyotas.

Eyesight doesn't work in a blizzard nor in heavy rain.
Here is a good article testing three different types of adaptive cruise control, there are differences.

https://www.carmag.co.za/technical/tech ... l-systems/
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

alfaspider
Posts: 1987
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Worth noting that the Highlander will be all new for 2020. Availability later this year. The current design is rather long in the tooth. The Subaru is just about to enter its second model year (2020 deliveries start next month).

FoolStreet
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by FoolStreet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Ykcor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm
DW wants to move up to three row SUV to haul around grandkids. Love the Ascent but dealership 60 miles from home and Toyota dealerships 15 miles from home. Any thoughts here?
Go for the hybrid.

wilked
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by wilked » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 pm

2019 and earlier Highlanders were fairly spartan and older tech. That was a big factor in us passing them by for an Ascent.

Ascent is now about 6 months old and we love it. Main gripe is fuel efficiency but I knew that going in. Safety features are a big plus for me

If the Highlander is all new in 2020 I would certainly give it another look

Topic Author
Ykcor
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Ykcor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm
What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?
Dealership location. She has driven an Acura but could get serviced locally at Honda dealership but don’t know if she would be happy driving 120 miles round trip for routine maintenance with a Subaru.

Topic Author
Ykcor
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Ykcor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:11 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 pm
Worth noting that the Highlander will be all new for 2020. Availability later this year. The current design is rather long in the tooth. The Subaru is just about to enter its second model year (2020 deliveries start next month).
Thanks. This is what I needed to know now.

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Ykcor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm
What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?
Dealership location. She has driven an Acura but could get serviced locally at Honda dealership but don’t know if she would be happy driving 120 miles round trip for routine maintenance with a Subaru.
The dealership is probably the last place I would go for "routine maintenance"; oil changes, tire rotation, cabin filter, air filter are either DIY or readily done by a local wrench.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Ykcor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm
What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?
Dealership location. She has driven an Acura but could get serviced locally at Honda dealership but don’t know if she would be happy driving 120 miles round trip for routine maintenance with a Subaru.
The dealership is probably the last place I would go for "routine maintenance"; oil changes, tire rotation, cabin filter, air filter are either DIY or readily done by a local wrench.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Where I wanna be.

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 am

Ykcor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm
What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?
Dealership location. She has driven an Acura but could get serviced locally at Honda dealership but don’t know if she would be happy driving 120 miles round trip for routine maintenance with a Subaru.
If it were me, I would choose current MY Highlander. It is older design, which means all its issues are sorted out. Dealerships are also motivated to clear their lot to make room for 2020 highlander, so there will be huge incentives. My last three cars have been last MY cars and weve been quite happy with them! All Japanese brands.
I would choose 2019 Highlander over 2020 Highlander and 2019 ascent.

User avatar
6miths
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by 6miths » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:29 pm
Nate79 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 pm
And the Eyesight and adaptive cruise is amazing.
Almost all cars have adaptive cruise control nowadays, so it is not something special about Subarus anymore. Eyesight is visible light, but others use radar. Lane assist, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic warning are available in almost all late model vehicles ... including Subarus and Toyotas.

Eyesight doesn't work in a blizzard nor in heavy rain.
The one anti-collision feature that the Subaru's have that not many other companies (and only one other company that I might consider purchasing) have yet is automatic braking in reverse. Only Subaru and Cadillac have systems that get IIHS 'Superior' ratings. While this is not going to save your life it is potentially going to reduce your risk of backing into something/someone. With 4 kids and two getting older parents driving the vehicle this was a big selling point for me.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

livesoft
Posts: 66933
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:03 am

^That's good to know about the backup braking, but ... From personal experience with my Outback pedestrians can still go undetected, so one had better be looking all ways anyways.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
6miths
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by 6miths » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:07 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:03 am
^That's good to know about the backup braking, but ... From personal experience with my Outback pedestrians can still go undetected, so one had better be looking all ways anyways.
Absolutely. Tech is no substitute for vigilance, just augments. Mainly for me it is about avoiding the scuffs that drive me crazy and especially backing into another vehicle. Insurance is killer. The number of vehicles with bumps and bruises that go unreported and unrepaired these days seems to be going through the roof.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

wilked
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by wilked » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am

6miths wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 am
livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:29 pm
Nate79 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 pm
And the Eyesight and adaptive cruise is amazing.
Almost all cars have adaptive cruise control nowadays, so it is not something special about Subarus anymore. Eyesight is visible light, but others use radar. Lane assist, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic warning are available in almost all late model vehicles ... including Subarus and Toyotas.

Eyesight doesn't work in a blizzard nor in heavy rain.
The one anti-collision feature that the Subaru's have that not many other companies (and only one other company that I might consider purchasing) have yet is automatic braking in reverse. Only Subaru and Cadillac have systems that get IIHS 'Superior' ratings. While this is not going to save your life it is potentially going to reduce your risk of backing into something/someone. With 4 kids and two getting older parents driving the vehicle this was a big selling point for me.
Here it is visually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r24GzljW4o

I have two young kids, this would be a nightmare
https://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsno ... story.html

I'm a big believer in this new tech. I was of the old mindset that you stick with the last year's model of a proven generation, but with young kids I am willing to take some risk on reliability of the vehicle to get these newest safety features

User avatar
catalina355
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by catalina355 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 am
Ykcor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm
What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?
Dealership location. She has driven an Acura but could get serviced locally at Honda dealership but don’t know if she would be happy driving 120 miles round trip for routine maintenance with a Subaru.
If it were me, I would choose current MY Highlander. It is older design, which means all its issues are sorted out. Dealerships are also motivated to clear their lot to make room for 2020 highlander, so there will be huge incentives. My last three cars have been last MY cars and weve been quite happy with them! All Japanese brands.
I would choose 2019 Highlander over 2020 Highlander and 2019 ascent.
Unfortunately the current model year Highlander is less safe than the Ascent and the new Highlander.

BuckyBadger
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:19 pm

We recently had this exact decision. We looked at all the three rite row SUVs with adaptive cruise control and we narrowed it down to the 2019 Ascent or a 2017 Highlander.

We choose the Ascent and it's been a dream so far.

Full disclosure: our other car is an Outback.

However, if i had to drive 60 miles to the dealership i might think twice. Are there any dealerships under construction near you? I don't think I've ever been in a town that far away from a Subaru dealership. If they have ANY they seem to have a Subaru.

BuckyBadger
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:21 pm

And the reverse braking is a great feature!!

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9476
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 pm

I've had a dozen Subarus. The number of times I've had service done at a dealer that didn't involve warranty service....zero. For warranty stuff, it's either been an hour or I got loaner cars. Our most recent Subaru came from a dealer an hour and a half away. It will never be there again unless we find another killer deal there when it comes to trade in time.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

BuckyBadger
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 pm
I've had a dozen Subarus. The number of times I've had service done at a dealer that didn't involve warranty service....zero. For warranty stuff, it's either been an hour or I got loaner cars. Our most recent Subaru came from a dealer an hour and a half away. It will never be there again unless we find another killer deal there when it comes to trade in time.
Now that I think about it, this is true. Although there is a Subaru dealership nearby, I've never been to it. Our Subarus were purchased from dealerships 45 minutes away and 2 hours away. My outback has never been to the dealership.

kmurp
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by kmurp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:49 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:29 pm
Nate79 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 pm
And the Eyesight and adaptive cruise is amazing.
Almost all cars have adaptive cruise control nowadays, so it is not something special about Subarus anymore. Eyesight is visible light, but others use radar. Lane assist, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic warning are available in almost all late model vehicles ... including Subarus and Toyotas.

Eyesight doesn't work in a blizzard nor in heavy rain.
Probably best to not be on cruise in weather like that I suppose.

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Where I wanna be.

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:17 am

catalina355 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 am
TheOscarGuy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 am
Ykcor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm
What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?
Dealership location. She has driven an Acura but could get serviced locally at Honda dealership but don’t know if she would be happy driving 120 miles round trip for routine maintenance with a Subaru.
If it were me, I would choose current MY Highlander. It is older design, which means all its issues are sorted out. Dealerships are also motivated to clear their lot to make room for 2020 highlander, so there will be huge incentives. My last three cars have been last MY cars and weve been quite happy with them! All Japanese brands.
I would choose 2019 Highlander over 2020 Highlander and 2019 ascent.
Unfortunately the current model year Highlander is less safe than the Ascent and the new Highlander.
I was not able to find anything egregious with current MY highlander:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/to ... r-suv/2019

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/TOYO ... ER/SUV/AWD

It seems pretty safe to me. I am not sure where you are getting data for 202 highlander as it hasn't been crash tested by NHTSA or IIHS yet (maybe because it isn't out yet).

User avatar
catalina355
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by catalina355 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:14 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:17 am
catalina355 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 am
TheOscarGuy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 am
Ykcor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm
What's the real issue here? Dealership location, reliability, or comfort of vehicles?
Dealership location. She has driven an Acura but could get serviced locally at Honda dealership but don’t know if she would be happy driving 120 miles round trip for routine maintenance with a Subaru.
If it were me, I would choose current MY Highlander. It is older design, which means all its issues are sorted out. Dealerships are also motivated to clear their lot to make room for 2020 highlander, so there will be huge incentives. My last three cars have been last MY cars and weve been quite happy with them! All Japanese brands.
I would choose 2019 Highlander over 2020 Highlander and 2019 ascent.
Unfortunately the current model year Highlander is less safe than the Ascent and the new Highlander.
I was not able to find anything egregious with current MY highlander:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/to ... r-suv/2019

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/TOYO ... ER/SUV/AWD

It seems pretty safe to me. I am not sure where you are getting data for 202 highlander as it hasn't been crash tested by NHTSA or IIHS yet (maybe because it isn't out yet).
It is safe. However if you compare the current Highlander small offset results to say the current Honda Pilot you will see a considerable improvement. Likewise look at the IIHS results for the Ascent. The 2020 Highlander is based on the TNGA-K platform and if you look at the crash tests on IIHS for vehicles based on the TNGA-K platform you will see considerable improvements. It is the platform which is key to the crash test results.

User avatar
Socrates
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Margaritaville

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Socrates » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Suburu! Google safety ratings, ratings, customer satisfaction, etc. blows away Toyota.....plus you get more for your buck, IMHO as they include more than Honda and Toyota....although full disclosure I am a huge Honda fan.

Suburus, like Toyota and Honda, last forever too.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

User avatar
Reb Tevye
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:54 am
Location: On the roof

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Reb Tevye » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:39 pm

Socrates wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm
Suburus, like Toyota and Honda, last forever too.
Not in my experience.
Honda+Toyota: 6/6.
Subaru: 0/1

Subaru. Love the concept and feature-list. Just wish they’d spent some of the Marketing Dept budget on better engineering. Speaking from 3rd Gen Outback experience.
"So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"

User avatar
Socrates
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Margaritaville

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Socrates » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Not in my experience.
Subaru is moving up in reliability and jumps two spots from sixth to fourth place among all automakers in the recent Consumer Reports Reliability Survey 2018......

I had over 200,000 on my first Legacy (given to me by my dad)....the air strut went out before the engine..... on my second outback, I sold at 150,000 miles.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

goldendad
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by goldendad » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:24 pm

Bought a 2004 Highlander new. Currently has 189500 miles with no significant problems. Been a great car. Still going strong.

Rudedog
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Rudedog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Honda Pilot or Highlander.

Retired1809
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by Retired1809 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:01 pm

In 2004 we test drove a Subaru for the first time. we loved the car but wasn't particularly impressed with the dealer so I eventually emailed or faxed all the Subaru dealers in a 100 mile radius, asking them to submit their "one best price" on a Subaru with my required options listed. So far I've bought three Subarus in this manner and have never set foot in a Subaru dealership since except to just pick up the cars and write them a check. I depend on an excellent independent mechanic who loves Subarus. So far the biggest repair we've had was replacing a power steering pump, not a big deal.

Before we bought the first Subaru, my wife test drove a Toyota Highlander, twice. At the conclusion of each test drive, she asked the Toyota salesman to park it. The second time, I asked her why she didn't want to park it and she replied that she couldn't see out the back window (visibility issue) and I reminded her that if she bought the the Highlander, she would eventually have to back it up. She had already been very impressed with the awesome visibility of the Subaru Forester and I reminded her of that. That sealed the deal for us. That's when we decided to buy the Forester.

Another vote for the Subaru Ascent. (Be sure to read the study of the Ascent in a recent Consumer Report, I believe for June 2019.) The Subaru Ascent received a very high rating. If I needed the additonal space, I'd buy the Ascent myself but I don't need the space and frankly I love the maneurability of the Forester; it's just big enough for us.

dbr
Posts: 29434
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Subaru Ascent vs Toyota Highlander...

Post by dbr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:22 am

Retired1809 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Before we bought the first Subaru, my wife test drove a Toyota Highlander, twice. At the conclusion of each test drive, she asked the Toyota salesman to park it. The second time, I asked her why she didn't want to park it and she replied that she couldn't see out the back window (visibility issue) and I reminded her that if she bought the the Highlander, she would eventually have to back it up. She had already been very impressed with the awesome visibility of the Subaru Forester and I reminded her of that. That sealed the deal for us. That's when we decided to buy the Forester.

Interesting anecdote I can relate to. Had to replace a car a couple of years ago and got so frustrated shopping for sedans you can't see out of that I just Googled under visibility and the top two ranked were Forrester and Outback. That got us into the dealership. The deal was sealed when you Google for ease of access and the same cars turn up. The other pluses are AWD and high clearance for running in deeper snow.

Post Reply