Transamerica Bike Race

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
spitty

Transamerica Bike Race

Post by spitty » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:55 am

Anybody following? http://trackleaders.com/transam19f.php
The leader has about 130 miles to go and is gonna shatter the record set last year of 16d20h40min. We're lucky to have the route pass through our town so I was able to meet and wish him well. Here's a video someone recorded of him in IL a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKaryWiYp_c He's averaging over 250 miles/d which is just insane! Great motivation to push everyone's mileage if you're a rider. 74 started the race and 19 have scratched so far.

AnonJohn

Re: Transamerica Bike Race

Post by AnonJohn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:03 am

Holy moly. I'm lucky to get 250 miles in a month ...

Props to the 78 year old bringing up the rear! At 44 miles / day, which is not nothing ...

Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:48 pm

INSANE biking ! Iron Man is 112 miles ... leader is cranking out 260+ miles/ day! I am thinking of all the calories you need (or an eBike ). Thanks for sharing.

abc...xyz

Post by abc...xyz » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 pm

I guess you haven't heard of RAAM... Race Across America. 3000 miles, across 12 states, and climbing over 170,000 vertical feet. Now that's a race. :D
https://www.raceacrossamerica.org

"Solo racers have a maximum of 12 days to complete the race, most finishing in 11 days with the fastest finishing in under 8 days." So that's 375 miles or more a day for the fastest solo riders. I think the fastest time for a tandem is 5 days.

cyclist

Post by cyclist » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:10 pm

To each their own. I cycled that route in 81 days a few years back -slow enough to actually see the country I was crossing. That was tough enough for me. I did see some of the racers - briefly - and they're a different breed entirely. What they do is simply amazing.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:00 pm

abc...xyz wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 pm
I guess you haven't heard of RAAM... Race Across America. 3000 miles, across 12 states, and climbing over 170,000 vertical feet. Now that's a race. :D
https://www.raceacrossamerica.org

"Solo racers have a maximum of 12 days to complete the race, most finishing in 11 days with the fastest finishing in under 8 days." So that's 375 miles or more a day for the fastest solo riders. I think the fastest time for a tandem is 5 days.
TABR is unsupported. Racers have to carry all their gear, source their own food, find accommodations or camp, get repairs at regular bike shops. It's a very different beast. Also, the TABR route is 4200 miles.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:59 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (sports are off-topic, discussion is not personal nor actionable). See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.