Are you a member of nextdoor.com? Any concerns registering your info?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cycle

Re: Are you a member of nextdoor.com? Any concerns registering your info?

Post by Cycle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Used it when we had a couple bikes stolen from the garage, got one of them back same day.

Not concerned about the address, as my address and name are on our cities property tax website.

Lot of silly nonsense arguments on nextdoor, or perhaps just on Earth :wink: I check it perhaps every other month.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 am
boglerdude wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:27 am
We have two accounts, one for home and another for the area our rental is in. Its great, and better than Yelp or Angies list. Apparently in some rich neighborhoods nothing happens so the posts are mostly lost pets and "I saw a strange man walking around" :happy
Yes, there's a lot of racial profiling in my neighborhood.... But there's also a lot Amazon package theft as well. The nextdoor people are on it, posting videos, pictures of thieves and their cars.
How did this go from "strange man walking around" to "racial profiling"?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:55 am

When I signed up, I indicated which topics were of interest.

Skipping a subject I’m not interested in takes milliseconds.

I have cancelled my Facebook account. I spend a small amount of time on NextDoor. At least NextDoor never ... oh, never mind, that’s political.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:33 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:19 pm
Nextdoor here is used, in addition to the usual handyman/painter/etc referrals, for urgent news: loose dog, coyote sightings, and other notices which I don’t think there’s another avenue to broadcast.

I find it useful. The vibe is friendly. Sometimes anonymity is overrated.
facebook for my town has posts like that. I see there is a nextdoor for an oddly shaped area in my vicinity but I never heard anyone mention it.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:09 pm
Ours is pretty much worthless. Lost small dogs... and coyote reports.
Well... when I found a lost small dog wandering around our neighborhood when it was 20F outside, it was quickly reunited with the owner when I posted a picture on Nextdoor. So, it turns out it wasn’t worthless for this dog, its owner... and actually it was easier than me having to wait for animal control come by to pick up the pooch.

It’s also pretty easy to identify and ignore the lost pet threads in the daily email digests, so even though I don’t have any pet to get lost, the threads don’t bother me any more than threads here on BH about topics I have no interest in.

Our city is occasionally distributing neighborhood-specific info via Nextdoor as one of the channels.
I was mainly implying that the coyotes were eating the small dogs.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am

Maverick3320 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 am
boglerdude wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:27 am
We have two accounts, one for home and another for the area our rental is in. Its great, and better than Yelp or Angies list. Apparently in some rich neighborhoods nothing happens so the posts are mostly lost pets and "I saw a strange man walking around" :happy
Yes, there's a lot of racial profiling in my neighborhood.... But there's also a lot Amazon package theft as well. The nextdoor people are on it, posting videos, pictures of thieves and their cars.
How did this go from "strange man walking around" to "racial profiling"?
Usually in these types of posts the "strange men" do not have the predominant skin color of the area.

Topic Author
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks all for the active discussion! :beer To address an earlier comment from a physician re: my lack of knowledge regarding privacy, rest assured, I am well aware that name & address and a whole lot more aren't confidential - tax rolls to DL records and a ton more in our state are public. No need to mansplain. :twisted:

There's a difference between millions of public records, including mine, in huge databases everywhere - necessity of life, unfortunately, vs purposely flagging yourself on a small, narrowly-defined social platform in your immediate geo vicinity. Not saying it's a bad idea: many here have stated how helpful NextDoor was. But I see asking about others' experiences first as a smart precaution.

I can easily imagine in today's angry times, (where differences in opinion are rarely respected,) potential issues that could occur. Maybe one neighbor expresses a concern re: a contractor who's friend or family of a NextDoor member. The latter takes offense; bears a grudge; and knows exactly who posted and where you live.

We have one nutjob neighbor with pals at city hall. He made life miserable for one family in our neighborhood he decided he didn't like. These folks didn't violate any codes and did nothing wrong, but he keeps trying to create problems.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:34 am

BogleFanGal, I think most of us have a neighbor like that. :D

Some local political issues have become a bit tense here (near Boston), but everyone has remained civil on NextDoor.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:44 am

At least in our area, NextDoor is mostly a mix of whining about politics, kids skateboarding on the sidewalk, and reports of suspicious activity because a brown person walked through the neighborhood. Oh, and people selling really junky used stuff for excessively high prices.

You can cut out the middleman and just follow https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor

shell921

Post by shell921 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Like someone posted, lost pets are reunited with owners via Nextdoor. I have gotten restaurant suggestions, handyman referrals, whole house water system recommendations etc. I have bought and sold items using Nextdoor and crime reports are shared.

California88

Post by California88 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:19 pm

I'm on ND and like it ... live in HCOL area that has a lot of horrendous crime/homeless problems ... so it's good to know what's going on. Notice some posters alter their names a bit - and just put their street address (not the #) - and wish I'd done that when I signed up.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:33 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:09 am
No need to mansplain. :twisted:
I'm sorry I tried to clarify my earlier comments. I won't bother next time. I'll just delete them and go away for a few weeks.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Sounds like I need to sign up!

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:39 am

Luckily, I live in a multi-unit condo building, so I only provided my street address, but not my unit number. I also didn’t use my real name.

Not info I think they need to have.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:15 pm

I was a member for a while last year, and had no particular concerns about registering my info. All that info is easily obtainable by other means anyway. For example, in our city anybody with a street address can get your name and all property tax details. And then there is Google....

I only lasted a few months. I think Nextdoor could potentially be a useful resource, but it's very dependent on exactly where you live and participation levels. In my neighborhood (immediate and nearby) it was pretty lame. At least as of last fall, there appeared to be no moderation. Lots of political posts and ramblings, pseudo-crime alerts, free stuff, etc. I've learned not to trust neighbor recommendations at all on major contractors (electrical, roofing, hvac, plumbing), so no interest whatsoever for me there. Small service listings - yes, those seemed handy. Gardeners offering plants - that was cool too. But all in all, too much junk to wade through for my taste. Maybe I will try again in a few years.

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 am

This discussion is rather amusing. I've gone through and summarized what people posted here:

Lost small dogs followed by sightings of a well-fed coyote

Complaints about local drivers

Stay at home mothers chastising each other about being bad mothers

Panic about door to door solicitor’s and pseudo-crime alerts.

A fertile ground for trolling with many people planting the seeds.

People saying passive aggressive things that they normally wouldn't say to someone's face, especially over parking concerns.

Untrustworthy neighbor recommendations for tradespeople that are from the tradesperson’s friends and family

Residents annoyed the city did not “send the army” to get right on fixing a pothole.

"I saw a strange man walking around", “I saw a car driving slowly”. I saw a paranoid person with too much time on their hand commenting on Nextdoor.

The war between the people who wanted to feed the deer and the people who wanted to shoot them.

"Attention neighbors, the sun rose this morning"

A mix of whining about politics, kids skateboarding on the sidewalk, and reports of suspicious activity because a brown person walked through the neighborhood. Oh, and people selling really junky used stuff for excessively high prices.

Knee-jerk reactions to anything, Never give benefit of doubt to the OP

Too much junk to wade through. Signal-to-Noise ratio is extremely low

You can cut out the middleman and just follow https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor

jmk

Post by jmk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 am

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm
In our area, they used what appeared to me to be a dishonest recruiting approach, sending an email purporting to be from a “neighbor.” I’m not aware that anyone knew the so-called neighbor. HOA sent out a mass emailing warning everyone that Nextdoor has no affiliation with the HOA.
I had same reaction when I got the misleading ad. I'm not against gathering of info; but if they're dishonest about who they are, they can't be trusted with the data.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:51 am

I bet some of us here are the same people this thread complains about. :twisted:

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:13 pm

knightrider wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 am
This discussion is rather amusing. I've gone through and summarized what people posted here:

Lost small dogs followed by sightings of a well-fed coyote

Complaints about local drivers

Stay at home mothers chastising each other about being bad mothers

Panic about door to door solicitor’s and pseudo-crime alerts.

A fertile ground for trolling with many people planting the seeds.

People saying passive aggressive things that they normally wouldn't say to someone's face, especially over parking concerns.

Untrustworthy neighbor recommendations for tradespeople that are from the tradesperson’s friends and family

Residents annoyed the city did not “send the army” to get right on fixing a pothole.

"I saw a strange man walking around", “I saw a car driving slowly”. I saw a paranoid person with too much time on their hand commenting on Nextdoor.

The war between the people who wanted to feed the deer and the people who wanted to shoot them.

"Attention neighbors, the sun rose this morning"

A mix of whining about politics, kids skateboarding on the sidewalk, and reports of suspicious activity because a brown person walked through the neighborhood. Oh, and people selling really junky used stuff for excessively high prices.

Knee-jerk reactions to anything, Never give benefit of doubt to the OP

Too much junk to wade through. Signal-to-Noise ratio is extremely low

Yep, pretty much. After a few hours on nextdoor, I realized that I liked my neighbors a whole lot less than I had before. So I logged off and went back to talking to them in person.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Did any of you feel uncomfortable registering with your name, actual address, phone, etc?
OK. I may be paranoid. But my theory is that so many people already know more about me than I may know about my myself, what's one more? :happy

Turbo Tax and / or your CPA know your tax info; VISA and the bank know your expenditure patterns; VG knows your investment preferences; the cable company can know your TV viewing habits; the phone company knows who you call; any law enforcement organization can know it all; etc. The only way to avoid that is to drop out and go live in a cave.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 pm

If nothing else it's entertaining. I call it mrscravitz.com
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

blackburnian

Post by blackburnian » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:34 pm

I like it. Recently I got rid of two large items that couldn't go to Goodwill and I didn't want to throw out, hired a couple of guys to move furniture for me (all my friends have bad backs), and found someone to pick up an old hot water heater (free).