Recommendation for light beer.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
am

Recommendation for light beer.

Post by am » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:33 am

I am trying to keep carbs low in my diet due to slightly elevated blood sugar at last physical. Unfortunately this means avoiding beer which I really enjoy. I’ve tried a few light beers and its feels like I’m drinking seltzer water. Not much into wines. Does anyone here have a brand that has a full taste they like?

Mike Scott

Re: Recommendation for light beer.

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:37 am

My choice is to drink less of something I enjoy more which helps cover questions about quality and price.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:46 am

I have always loved Kolsch style beers. Alaskan summer is good but only around for the season. Maybe go to your local brewer and see what they have as well.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:50 am

The calories in beer is mostly proportional to ABV. The lowest calorie beers appear to be the light macro brews. https://plot.ly/~render/177/calories-as ... rces.embed

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:58 am

Founders All Day IPA.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am

Balashi. It also helps that it comes in 8 ounce cans. It also helps that you have to go to Aruba to get it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

climbhigh

Post by climbhigh » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:04 am

Your issue is the alcohol itself. One gram of alcohol is 7 calories, and a “standard” alcoholic drink has 14 grams of alcohol (e.g. 12 ounces of 5% beer), which is 98 calories per drink. And that’s just the alcohol.

chisey

Post by chisey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:08 am

Life is too short to drink light beer. You could try liquor instead-- zero carbs.

moneybeard

Post by moneybeard » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 am

Yuengling is my favorite light beer, but if you are really watching $ and calories you are probably better off going cold turkey

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am

climbhigh wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:04 am
Your issue is the alcohol itself. One gram of alcohol is 7 calories, and a “standard” alcoholic drink has 14 grams of alcohol (e.g. 12 ounces of 5% beer), which is 98 calories per drink. And that’s just the alcohol.
Actually - the OP never stated that a requirement of his beer was for it to have alcohol - only that it be light.
12 ounces of O'Douls is only 65 calories (if the OP can stomach it :) ).

racy

Post by racy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:12 am

My advice: Get drunk, not fat. http://getdrunknotfat.com/

bryanm

Post by bryanm » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:18 am

What beer do you really enjoy? Recommendations will vary based on whether you like stouts, IPAs, red ales, barley wine, etc., etc.

The fundamental limit here is malt, which provides sugars for yeast to eat. More malt typically means more fermentation and higher ABV. If the malt isn't eaten, that's residual sugar that turns into carbs. Usually, high amounts of hops need malt to balance. Thus, whether it's high ABV, high malt content, or high hops you like, you typically get a lot of calories. There are exceptions, but they are harder to find.

If you like IPAs, session IPAs might do the trick. Founders All Day IPA was recommended above. I second that. If you like darker beer, try Guinness. It's surprisingly low calorie, since the color comes more from heavy roasting of the malt than from using a lot of it. If you're open to something different, try getting into low ABV sours. Things like goses (pronounced "goes-uh") have a lot of flavor with a low calorie content. Strange at first, but they grow on you. They're great for summer time. Happy drinking!

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:51 am

chisey wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:08 am
Life is too short to drink light beer.
We all need a way to feel superior in some way right?
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:04 am

chisey wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:08 am
Life is too short to drink light beer.
I like light beer, I prefer it to heavier beers. It's more refreshing to me and I don't get as bloated or as full.

chisey

Post by chisey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:19 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:51 am
Pfft. I don't feel superior. I just feel that my beer is superior. :beer

Seriously, it is hard to go from drinking beers with more flavor to drinking light beers. It sounds like that's what OP is trying to do, and I wish him luck.

chisey

Post by chisey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 am

am wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:33 am
I am trying to keep carbs low in my diet due to slightly elevated blood sugar at last physical. Unfortunately this means avoiding beer which I really enjoy. I’ve tried a few light beers and its feels like I’m drinking seltzer water. Not much into wines. Does anyone here have a brand that has a full taste they like?
Back to the OP, it may be easier to make recs if we know what region you live in. I think you may have better luck finding a more flavorful light(ish) beer by looking at your local or regional craft brew options. Most breweries make at least one lager/pilsner/kolsch, and many even have what they refer to as a light beer.

Topic Author
am

Post by am » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am

chisey wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 am
am wrote:
Back to the OP, it may be easier to make recs if we know what region you live in. I think you may have better luck finding a more flavorful light(ish) beer by looking at your local or regional craft brew options. Most breweries make at least one lager/pilsner/kolsch, and many even have what they refer to as a light beer.
Midwest.

Do not care so much about calories (BMI 22-23) as limiting liquid carbs which spike sugars, insulin levels and increase risk of type 2 Diabeties.
Last edited by am on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

IMO

Post by IMO » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:54 am

chisey wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:19 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:51 am
Pfft. I don't feel superior. I just feel that my beer is superior. :beer

Seriously, it is hard to go from drinking beers with more flavor to drinking light beers. It sounds like that's what OP is trying to do, and I wish him luck.
I feel superior, I'm a beer snob. :D
Ironically I have friends who are tequila or vodka snobs but are fine with a coors or similar while I question if they could really tell differences on those products in a blind taste test.

OP: Beers are empty calories. Even though I love a great beer being the beer snob I am, there really isn't an easy way to get around empty calories with health concerns. My suggestion is to go ahead and indulge in a nice microbrew beer. However, just limit that to once or twice per week. Makes it a reward/treat when you have it.

chisey

Post by chisey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 am

am wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am
Midwest.

Do not care so much about calories (BMI 22-33) as limiting liquid carbs which spike sugars, insulin levels and increase risk of type 2 Diabeties.
Boulevard RecreationAle (MO) and Southern Tier Swipe Light (PA) may be available near you. There are some phenomenal regional brewers in the midwest but I don't dabble much in lighter beers and I don't live near you, so that's about all I know.

For larger distributors that you can find almost anywhere: Sierra Nevada Nooner, New Belgium Dayblazer, and any of the session IPAs (Lagunitas Daytime, Founders All Day, Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty) might be good choices.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:21 pm

am wrote:
Guinness.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

Big Dutch

Post by Big Dutch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:35 pm

It's not going to have the same flavor profile as a heavier beer, but Michelob Ultra w/ lime is refreshing at 95 calories. Alternatively, Corona Light w/ lime is 99 cals. Best on a hot day preferably while floating or with sand between your toes.

Big Dutch :sharebeer

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Many replies here have listed lower-calorie beers that are average-high in carbs.

I would suggest looking at this list for some low-carb beers that actually taste OK:

https://www.delish.com/food/g26987069/low-carb-beer/

I'm a beer lover that has been on Keto/Low Carb for the past 3 years. Among the generic light beers, Miller Lite has the lowest carb content (half that of Bud Light or Coors Lite). Michelob Ultra and Corona Premier are even lower - but they are VERY light.

Lagunitas Daytime IPA and Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty IPA are pretty good for having under 4g carbs a piece, and I've found the Daytime IPA in wholefoods.

Good luck!

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Try Becks Light---- it still has a tad of body to it.

Deblog

Post by Deblog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:50 pm

As above poster said Michelobe ultra only has 2.6 carbs. They have a new michelobe ultra amber that I like better and it is 3.6 carbs. I love corona light with 5 carbs but I do not like the corona premium at all. It has fewer carbs.

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:29 pm

I'd second Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty IPA. I generally like sweeter beers and am not into IPAs in general, but it was moderately balanced, and definitely tasted like beer. I'm not sure if New Belgium's Dayblazer is actually low carb or just lower alcohol, but I liked it, too.

I'm with the OP that most "light" beers are just kind of fizzy froth-water, with half a hint of beer. The local bowling alley revamped and for a while all I could get was light: Bud Light, Coors Light, Michelob Ultra, Corona Light, and a few others. I could barely drink them, and felt like they were more seltzer than beer. In fact, if I had to keep drinking the light stuff, I'd probably be happier drinking hard seltzer (there's quite a few of them out there now, and they're not terrible, especially if you find a fruit flavor you like) - at least those are supposed to taste like seltzer, and not beer.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm

One thing about light beer is you can drink a lot of it, and people do. Seems
Iike the light beer crowd always has a fresh beer. To OP, you may have less calories in that light beer, but it doesn't bode well to be knocking them back like a chain smoker. I am drinking my regular ABV craft beer whilst you may be drinking three to my one.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm
I am drinking my regular ABV craft beer whilst you may be drinking three to my one.
Which means I'm having three times more fun, right? :sharebeer
The J stands for Jay

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Switch to whiskey and join the dark side :twisted: :beer :D

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:26 pm

In my beer drinking days I was never much for light beers but I did find Amstel Light more than tolerable. IIRC, its caloric count was on the high side for a light beer. Dont know about ABV or carbs.
Friar1610

G12

Post by G12 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:44 pm

am wrote:
More brewers are beginning to target sports/athletics/activity enthusiasts that are seeking beer that is flavorful and lower abv/calorie load. Here is a link to current offerings. I saw Sam Adams came out with a '76 beer which is lager/ale hybrid but still has over 130 calories. My birthday is tomorrow, then I'm taking a break from beer as the DDH juicy/hazy beers have caused some weight gain.

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition- ... -athletes/

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm

As someone who stupidly thinks they are a guru because I am drinking a beer right now (IPA), I think all light beers taste the same. It is really hard to distinguish between them.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:33 pm

JBeck wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:22 pm
Switch to whiskey and join the dark side :twisted: :beer :D
This was my solution. You can drink it on the rocks if you want light whiskey.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:51 pm

am wrote:
What style(s) of beer do you currently enjoy?

What light beers have you been trying that you are not liking? I'm guessing American style pale lagers (eg Coors Light)?

Full Sail's Session line is, as I understand, relatively low carb, and I remember both the original pale lager and the black lager versions both being decent tasting, even though my normal preference is heavier beers. I don't know how widely distributed it is outside the Pacific NW.
climbhigh wrote:
No, they said blood sugar level. Alcohol does have calories and provides usable energy by providing one of the inputs needed for ATP production, but it's intermediate metabolism product is not into sugars, but into acetic acid.

Moderate levels of alcohol intake (1-2 drink per day) actually appear to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. However, higher levels (3-4 drinks per day) increase the risk. Source:
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/conte ... /2123.long

The OP appears to be on the correct track, focusing on carbohydrate content, not alcohol level.

Topic Author
am

Post by am » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:51 pm
am wrote:
What style(s) of beer do you currently enjoy?

What light beers have you been trying that you are not liking? I'm guessing American style pale lagers (eg Coors Light)?

Full Sail's Session line is, as I understand, relatively low carb, and I remember both the original pale lager and the black lager versions both being decent tasting, even though my normal preference is heavier beers. I don't know how widely distributed it is outside the Pacific NW.
climbhigh wrote:
No, they said blood sugar level. Alcohol does have calories and provides usable energy by providing one of the inputs needed for ATP production, but it's intermediate metabolism product is not into sugars, but into acetic acid.

Moderate levels of alcohol intake (1-2 drink per day) actually appear to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. However, higher levels (3-4 drinks per day) increase the risk. Source:
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/conte ... /2123.long

The OP appears to be on the correct track, focusing on carbohydrate content, not alcohol level.
I liked Stella and Heineken.

After my physical. I have tried Bud light, Miller light, Michelob light, all tasting like Seltzer with a sprinkle of beer. Today at dinner, tried Coors light and liked it more. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 pm

I used to be able to buy Sam Adams light. It tasted very good. I can’t find it any more in my area.

MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:43 pm

If you can get it where you are, I’d strongly recommend trying Ruby Redbird by Shiner. It is 95 cals but more importantly for you, it’s 3.1g of carbs per beer. To me, it is perfect for this time of year as the temps rise. I’m in Texas (home of Shiner) so not sure if it’s distributed to where you are.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Yuengling Light, not as good as regular Yuengling but better than any other light I have ever tasted...Gordon
Disciple of John Neff

spitty

Post by spitty » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 am

We tried the Kirkland light beer once and thought it was terrible...YMMV

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 am

spitty wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 am
We tried the Kirkland light beer once and thought it was terrible...YMMV
Yeah that one is beyond horrible. Tastes like beer-flavored kool aid.

FCM

Post by FCM » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 am

+1 for Yuengling Light.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:33 am

Mike Scott wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:37 am
My choice is to drink less of something I enjoy more which helps cover questions about quality and price.
+1. I’d just not drink beer if it meant I had to settle for something of poor quality or taste. I LOVE a good IPA and, because of my 6/1/2018 complete change of diet, limit myself to one per month (a GOOD one). I make it last for almost an hour with a smile on my face...

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 am

am wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm

I liked Stella and Heineken.
Have you tried Heineken Light?