wood floors and general cleaning: steam?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
finfire

wood floors and general cleaning: steam?

Post by finfire » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 am

Hi,

We have engineered hardwood floors in our whole house, except the tiled bathrooms. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback/recommendations on a steam cleaning system for cleaning the floors? It would be handy if the tool could also assist cleaning other parts of the house e.g. showers etc.

Are steam mops ok for engineered hardwood floors?

We have a roomba that keeps the floors clean day-to-day. I know of the bona mop and cleaner, but I was hoping to find something that's a bit more automated and could be used for other jobs.

Anyone buy a steam cleaner for this purpose in Costco?

Thanks for any help!!

Ruger

Re: wood floors and general cleaning: steam?

Post by Ruger » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:14 am

A Google search says never use a steam cleaner, it can cause damage or ruin your floors.

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Engineere ... ood-Floors

"Never use a steam cleaner on your engineered hardwood floor. While a steam cleaner can be a useful tool for cleaning a carpet floor, it should never be used on engineered hardwood. The steam can damage the wood surface by forcing water into the veneer and the top layer of hardwood.[12]
A steam cleaner can potentially cause more damage to the hardwood than other forms of cleaning that use excess water (such as an overly wet mop). Since a steam cleaner will force moisture down into the wood, it may damage lower layers of plywood or fiberboard."

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:14 am

Good to know.

Anyone use a Kärcher FC5 Hard Floor Cleaner?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:58 pm

I would not even think of using a steam cleaner on a wood floor. Engineering or otherwise.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:01 pm

What? How did you come up with steam cleaning a wood floor? Usually, you just wipe it and put some kind of special oil... if it is a drastic case, then sand and refinish.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Nearly all wood and wood based manufactures recommend against using steam. You can check your product to be 100% sure but i presume it would be discouraged as well. Disregard whatever the box says for the mop...its a bad idea.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Wet a rag, wipe the floor, done. Its not complicated.

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:16 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:06 pm
Wet a rag, wipe the floor, done. Its not complicated.
This. Wood doesn't like being wet. Use sparingly.

bryanm

Post by bryanm » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 pm

finfire wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 am
We have a roomba that keeps the floors clean day-to-day. I know of the bona mop and cleaner, but I was hoping to find something that's a bit more automated and could be used for other jobs.
If you're interested in automation, have you considered the Braava automated mop (basically a mopping Roomba)?

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks all.

Time is precious here. Just trying to figure out the most streamlined way to clean it.

The wood has a Handscraped Wirebrushed kind of texture, so I am just trying to figure out if there was a product that I can use that cuts some of the time of the traditional rag and brush method.

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:47 pm

bryanm wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 pm
finfire wrote:
If you're interested in automation, have you considered the Braava automated mop (basically a mopping Roomba)?
Thanks, I did not know of this product. I will research it.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:50 pm

The guy who refinished our wood floors back in the day said to use windex. So we use windex, then wipe it up with one of those wet/dry swifter pads.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:03 pm

about once every 2 weeks i get out my knee pads and hand clean our wood floors. I rinse off the cleaning rags every 4 square feet or so and dipping into bucket of wood oil soap to make sure dirt isnt just being spread back into the floors. Very effective but have always wanted to find a more time efficient way to keep cleaning my floors.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm

We don't wear shoes in the house. Swiffing* every couple of weeks is enough.

*TM

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:24 am

Most just vacuum it using a Dyson stick and eufy robo vac. Occasionally spot clean with Bona swiffer style cleaner. Once every blue moon mop floor using Murphy oil soap.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:16 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:50 pm
The guy who refinished our wood floors back in the day said to use windex. So we use windex, then wipe it up with one of those wet/dry swifter pads.
Bona is probably better.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:17 am

finfire wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:46 pm
Thanks all.

Time is precious here. Just trying to figure out the most streamlined way to clean it.

The wood has a Handscraped Wirebrushed kind of texture, so I am just trying to figure out if there was a product that I can use that cuts some of the time of the traditional rag and brush method.
We have a weekly cleaning service saves us the most time.

wilked

Post by wilked » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:36 am

finfire wrote:
Hi,

We have engineered hardwood floors in our whole house, except the tiled bathrooms. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback/recommendations on a steam cleaning system for cleaning the floors? It would be handy if the tool could also assist cleaning other parts of the house e.g. showers etc.

Thanks for any help!!
Definitely don’t use a steam cleaner. I’ve seen the result of a friend doing that and it was ugly!

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:56 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:17 am
finfire wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:46 pm
Thanks all.

We have a weekly cleaning service saves us the most time.
Thanks. Had a service and got rid of them. Was more hassle than it was worth and trying to save some $$$.

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:57 am

wilked wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:36 am
finfire wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for any help!!
Definitely don’t use a steam cleaner. I’ve seen the result of a friend doing that and it was ugly!
Got it. Not planning to use a steam cleaner.

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
We don't wear shoes in the house. Swiffing* every couple of weeks is enough.

*TM
We don't wear shoes in the house either...which is why I am currently sporting a black toe. :shock:

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:59 am

audioaxes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:03 pm
about once every 2 weeks i get out my knee pads and hand clean our wood floors. I rinse off the cleaning rags every 4 square feet or so and dipping into bucket of wood oil soap to make sure dirt isnt just being spread back into the floors. Very effective but have always wanted to find a more time efficient way to keep cleaning my floors.
This. Definitely trying to avoid this. :)

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:01 am

Water and vinegar with a soft mop once a week for my hardwood floors. I found some other products create a build-up that
is visible on the floor over time. Mine have been cleaned for 8 years, no problems.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:21 am

Curious about the OP's comment: "Time is precious here"

In what way? Meaning you need an answer ASAP? Or is time precious in the sense that the cleaning routine must be quick?

Agree with all comments warning against heat/steam or excessive water.

If there is a polyurethane type coating on the floor, it may act like a seal so that you could use a lot of different liquid solutions, but still, use them sparingly. No need for heavy duty chemicals like you'd use on a bathroom tile floor.

Not familiar with engineered/veneer type floors (just solid wood floors), nor the wirebrushed texture... which sounds a bit tricky to deal with.

Is the wirebrushed texture in the finish? Or in the wood itself? If in the finish, then it should stand up OK to liquid solutions, but if it is in the wood itself, I'd worry about raising fibers with any liquid.

Rule#1: Vacuum often to prevent dirt & debris from embedding & scratching.

Rule#2: Ask the floor manufacturer what they recommend for cleaning beyond vacuuming.

We do mop our solid wood floors occasionally, to pick up rest of dust & theoretical spills, using luke warm water, a little Murphy's oil soap, a splash of vinegar, and a well-wrung terry cloth mop. Of course mop only after vacuuming thoroughly, and test the solution first in an inconspicuous corner.

Do not attempt to disinfect a wood floor.

We would never use a machine on our floors except to sand and refinish, which we haven't had to do. Floors are 12 years old and still beautiful.

Good luck!

ETA: Mopping doesn't take that long. Get something like the Sh-mop with multiple terry cloth covers. Fill utility sink with luke warm water +a safe wood cleaning product, dip terry cloth cover in solution and squeeze out well. Mopping doesn't take long, and makes the whole house smell nice. Run ceiling fans to dry quickly. More enjoyable than cleaning bathrooms or lugging a vacuum cleaner. It's a zen type of experience. :wink:

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:45 am

WillRetire wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:21 am
Curious about the OP's comment: "Time is precious here"

In what way? Meaning you need an answer ASAP? Or is time precious in the sense that the cleaning routine must be quick?

Agree with all comments warning against heat/steam or excessive water.

If there is a polyurethane type coating on the floor, it may act like a seal so that you could use a lot of different liquid solutions, but still, use them sparingly. No need for heavy duty chemicals like you'd use on a bathroom tile floor.

Not familiar with engineered/veneer type floors (just solid wood floors), nor the wirebrushed texture... which sounds a bit tricky to deal with.

Is the wirebrushed texture in the finish? Or in the wood itself? If in the finish, then it should stand up OK to liquid solutions, but if it is in the wood itself, I'd worry about raising fibers with any liquid.

Rule#1: Vacuum often to prevent dirt & debris from embedding & scratching.

Rule#2: Ask the floor manufacturer what they recommend for cleaning beyond vacuuming.

We do mop our solid wood floors occasionally, to pick up rest of dust & theoretical spills, using luke warm water, a little Murphy's oil soap, a splash of vinegar, and a well-wrung terry cloth mop. Of course mop only after vacuuming thoroughly, and test the solution first in an inconspicuous corner.

Do not attempt to disinfect a wood floor.

We would never use a machine on our floors except to sand and refinish, which we haven't had to do. Floors are 12 years old and still beautiful.

Good luck!

ETA: Mopping doesn't take that long. Get something like the Sh-mop with multiple terry cloth covers. Fill utility sink with luke warm water +a safe wood cleaning product, dip terry cloth cover in solution and squeeze out well. Mopping doesn't take long, and makes the whole house smell nice. Run ceiling fans to dry quickly. More enjoyable than cleaning bathrooms or lugging a vacuum cleaner. It's a zen type of experience. :wink:
Thanks, Yes, time is precious=I am lazy and want to clean as fast as possible.

The wirebrushed texture is in the finish.

We do vacuum regularly..or the roomba does.

I believe the manufacturer recommends Woca product for cleaning. Anyone used that? Is Bona just as good?

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:58 am

Engineered floor are different. We have recently moved and have them for the first time. Care of them specifically states to not use steam cleaning but to sweep regularly and clean, even daily to avoid scratches. Bona products are recommended, but not wax, Murphy's soap, steam, or anything that even briefly leaves puddles. Though engineered floors can be refinished, it is often recommended that an affected board or two just be replaced since that is apparently fairly easy. These comments are directly from accompanying literature with high-end, engineered floors.

Tim

Topic Author
finfire

Post by finfire » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:21 am

Nowizard wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:58 am
Engineered floor are different. We have recently moved and have them for the first time. Care of them specifically states to not use steam cleaning but to sweep regularly and clean, even daily to avoid scratches. Bona products are recommended, but not wax, Murphy's soap, steam, or anything that even briefly leaves puddles. Though engineered floors can be refinished, it is often recommended that an affected board or two just be replaced since that is apparently fairly easy. These comments are directly from accompanying literature with high-end, engineered floors.

Tim
Thanks , good to know. Learning plenty here!

Westwing

Post by Westwing » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 pm

I have used warm water, a little Dawn detergent and a half cup of mineral spirits with great success. It is amazing how new the floors look and feel.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:44 pm

I use Bona (all hardwood floors - I don't have engineered).

mancich

Post by mancich » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:04 am

Bona, and a good quality microfiber mop. Pretty quick.