70th Birthday Party Ideas

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lostinjersey

70th Birthday Party Ideas

Post by lostinjersey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:56 pm

I'm planning a 70th birthday party for my mom and her twin. They have not celebrated their birthday together in at least 50 years. I'm gathering old photos but what else would make it memorable?

Fallible

Re: 70th Birthday Party Ideas

Post by Fallible » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:06 pm

lostinjersey wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:56 pm
I'm planning a 70th birthday party for my mom and her twin. They have not celebrated their birthday together in at least 50 years. I'm gathering old photos but what else would make it memorable?
You are already doing quite a bit - their first celebration together in 50 years and old photos to go over and enjoy. That's great! For the rest, I would focus on their special interests, expressed in 70th birthday cards or special gifts.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool. ~Richard Feynman

spearo

Post by spearo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:18 pm

Funny to see this post, as I'm in the process of preparing a 70th gift for my mom. We're collecting hundreds of old photos and the added twist is we've invited dozens of family, old friends, and newer friends to write down memories or sentiments on stationery cards. We're assembling all these into an album that ticks chronologically through her 70 yrs, and will highlight a lifetime of loving relationships. Hope your celebration goes well!

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Just recently I saw two old friends, identical twins, who had recently had a 70th birthday party with family and friends. What they talked about that seemed to give them the most pleasure was that it was the first time their children had gotten together to plan something and had pulled it off.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:25 pm

I did a family reunion in Hawaii.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:39 pm

lostinjersey wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:56 pm
They make digital photo frames that you could upload the photos into. You could get two of them that they could take home.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:41 pm

My 70th is only a few years away, so I'm paying close attention to this post and the comments.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:43 pm

spearo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:18 pm
Funny to see this post, as I'm in the process of preparing a 70th gift for my mom. We're collecting hundreds of old photos and the added twist is we've invited dozens of family, old friends, and newer friends to write down memories or sentiments on stationery cards. We're assembling all these into an album that ticks chronologically through her 70 yrs, and will highlight a lifetime of loving relationships. Hope your celebration goes well!
I bought my dad a 25 year zero coupon bond for his 70th. :P

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:50 pm

A trip to Chippendale's, but only if all the dancers are all twins.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately there aren’t many pix, but we will get what we can. It will be a surprise for one twin but not the other. They have lived totally separate lives since high school, so no shared experiences or friends.

Setting aside the twins’ aspect, any other ideas for a 70th party? Maybe I will hunt down some of their friends (separately) and get a card signed for each. That’s a great idea. The party will be far from anyone they know.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:59 pm

Have an offsite celebration and invite relatives and close friends...maybe at a resort area or fun city.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

gretah

Post by gretah » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:00 pm

Encourage guests to tell "remember when..." stories, especially humorous or touching ones.

One such story I heard at a party was when a couple told their 3 young children that mommy was expecting a baby. The kids were furious: they did not want another sibling. No more diapers. No cutting another kid in on sharing stuff. They were arguing with mum to tell the stork to stay away. She explained that daddy and mommy had already begun and things were past the point of stopping it. Then the kids angrily turned on dad: you knew about this? You did nothing to stop it?

Encourage guests to toast the couple, topic along a theme. Theme could be "simple things that make life good," "small events with big impact," etc. Ask that toast be preceded by a back story of something true to toaster experienced.

Let guests know you would love their participation in these - or other - specific ways by including a note in the party invitation. This way they will have time to prepare something great.