Freezing Credit issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JBTX

Freezing Credit issues

Post by JBTX » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Working with my 18 year old daughter to freeze credit. She has one relatively new credit card in her name and is on two of my credit cards. They all three now show up on credit karma, she already has a high credit score and no other accounts or issues appear.

We were unable to freeze experian and equifax. Basically unable to match identity online. One of them asked all these questions about auto loans ( which she doesn't have) and every answer was none of the above. One said to mail a whole bunch of information to them. We called the equifax help line listed and he said we need to fax copies of social security card, drivers license and a letter saying we want to freeze credit. Obviously faxing those documents doesn't give one a warm and fuzzy.

I'm thinking of giving it a month or so and trying again. Make sure all the relevant info has time to sync up with credit agencies.

Any other advice?

Silk McCue

Re: Freezing Credit issues

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Any chance the questions matched your history since she is on two of your cards? If not, just fax in the information they are asking for.

Cheers

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Have you ordered a copy of her credit report from all 3 credit reporting agencies to make sure there isn’t any fraudulent activity on her account?

Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:21 pm
Any chance the questions matched your history since she is on two of your cards? If not, just fax in the information they are asking for.

Cheers
I hadn't had any car loans either.

Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:48 pm

2cents2 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:28 pm
Have you ordered a copy of her credit report from all 3 credit reporting agencies to make sure there isn’t any fraudulent activity on her account?
Probably a good idea, although if there was anything I would think it would show up on credit karma.

erictiger

Post by erictiger » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:55 pm

My son is 18 and he just opened a Roth IRA at Vanguard last week. The identity confirmation questions were all related to me, not my son.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:10 pm

You might try doing it over the phone. As I recall, I couldn’t do 2 of my wife’s reports online, but was able to do them over the phone. If you can’t, I think I recall one of them having a way to submit the documents online.
https://www.experian.com/consumer/upload/
https://equifaxuk.custhelp.com/app/answ ... equifax%3F

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:01 pm

I had the same problem with both of my young-adult children. Decided to wait and try again (Versus mail them pounds of paper).

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:23 pm

I am a full grown adult much older than 18 and regularly fail these "quizzes" from credit agencies. I just try again later and usually get different questions. Each one has different info on me so the answers are different for each. Some of it is nonsensical as well (the words got cut off in their records I guess).