Alternative to US Postal (USPS) for Mail Delivery of Checks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Beatle Boots

Alternative to US Postal (USPS) for Mail Delivery of Checks

Post by Beatle Boots » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am

Looking for an a reliable, dependable, alternative to USPS mail delivery for sensitive mail (mostly letters) that include 3-4 checks monthly from SMALL companies that I am unwilling to trust with personal bank account, due to past identity theft reasons.

Background:

In recent years, I frequently received misdelivered mail from a friendly next door neigbor and I recieved his misdelivered mail. We notified each other and exchanged the letters. The other next door neighbor is unfriendly and he has never notified me that he recieved my misdelivered mail although I have received his. When I have received the unfriendly neighbor's mail, I simply take it to the post office and place it in the outgoing mail slot. The frequency of this was about 7-8 times a year (sometimes involving checks).

For most of the misdelivered mail that I have recieved, I verified that the mistake was CAUSED BY THE USPS and not simply "the wrong address" and physically returned the letter to the neighbor.

To prevent possible residential misdelivery, I clearly posted my mailing address on the residential curbside mail box and on the house and curb to no avail.

Not sure how or why the USPS misdelivers this mail. Most of this misdelivered mail is NOT handwritten. It is typed in clearly legible print and includes the proper address down to the 5 digit zip code with the 4 digit extention for delivery route (total of 9 digits)?

Lastly, saw on USPS' website somewhere the "Reasons (causes) for Misdelivery" and saw what would be expected illegible handwriting, address input errors, etc. Could not find anyplace where it said "USPS Screwups".

Fast forward: Several years ago, got sick of hassling with misdirected residential mail and talked to a USPS desk clerk and he said that my problem was common and recommended that I get a PO Box. So I did it.

Problem: Still experiencing misdirected mail. Also, experiencing other, new problems. Other people, who have previously rented my PO Box still receive mail at my PO Box. So,when this happens, I write on the letter and circle the address and write something like: NO LONGER AT THE ADDRESSED. MOVED. PLEASE RETURN TO SENDER. I will date this annotation and place the letter in the outgoing USPS mail slot. To my utter amazement, the letter, containing my dated annotation will end up being sent back to my PO Box. I have had this same circular process failure happen 4 times for the same letter with different dates! Unbelievable!

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS: I would like to hear if anyone else had experienced these problems and possibly provide solutions to include dumping the USPS for a reasonably priced alternative service. Don't need a large box for packages as most of my packages are shipped directly by AMAZON and they have a highly reliable delivery service.

Thanks in advance!

increment

Re: Alternative to US Postal (USPS) for Mail Delivery of Checks

Post by increment » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:31 am

Beatle Boots wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am
Not sure how or why the USPS misdelivers this mail. Most of this misdelivered mail is NOT handwritten. It is typed in clearly legible print and includes the proper address down to the 5 digit zip code with the 4 digit extention for delivery route (total of 9 digits)?

[...]

Other people, who have previously rented my PO Box still receive mail at my PO Box. So,when this happens, I write on the letter and circle the address and write something like: NO LONGER AT THE ADDRESSED. MOVED. PLEASE RETURN TO SENDER. I will date this annotation and place the letter in the outgoing USPS mail slot. To my utter amazement, the letter, containing my dated annotation will end up being sent back to my PO Box.
Some say that it helps to obliterate the bar code printed at the bottom of the envelope. (It encodes the ZIP+4.)

I have no good suggestions for your main problem. Perhaps get a PO Box at a different office, where they might look at letters before putting them in boxes?

onourway

Post by onourway » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:35 am

Registered mail will solve your issue. You’ll have to decide if it’s worth the cost.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:37 am

Beatle Boots wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am

Fast forward: Several years ago, got sick of hassling with misdirected residential mail and talked to a USPS desk clerk and he said that my problem was common and recommended that I get a PO Box. So I did it.

I wouldn't talk to a desk clerk. I had this problem several years ago. In fact it got so bad that I had two magazine subscriptions cancelled because they claimed the magazines were returned to them marked, "Undeliverable." I went straight to the Postmaster of that particular office. Problems stopped and have never recurred.
Last edited by Turbo29 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:37 am

Seems like a problem of real vs.perceived risks. Maybe the real risk of electronic payment fraud is actually much less than paper mail misdelivery when there is a human in the loop placing mail into a mailbox or PO box. Mechanical sorting systems can also result in a piece of mail going into the wrong bin which might be used for delivery to a commercial USPS customer.

You could send by FedEx or registered mail but that will cost a whole lot more than a first class stamp.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:41 am

Open a separate bank account. They already know who you are. The only thing you are trying to protect is the bank account number.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:16 am

Get a mailbox at a UPS store (mailbox etcetera used to be another choice but I think they went out of business).

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 am

Here's a story about undelivered and/or late mail. We live in TN and since 1995 our daughter has lived in a coastal NC city. For about ten years our mail sent to her was very late or non-existent in delivery. It got so bad that I finally initiated a letter to the Postmaster General in Washington, DC with a copy to the Postmaster in our and her city explaining and complaining about the missing mail. :annoyed

Our single daughter moved fairly frequently within her city in those years and on one move introduced herself by name to her postal clerk delivering the mail one day. The clerk responded "We know all about you and the letter to the Postmaster General." Apparently the word trickled on down from Washington and she became well known to the US Postal Service in her community. She is now happily married and still resides in that same city.

I also share the OP's concern about incorrect delivery of mail. I live in a subdivision here in Middle Tennessee and my street runs parallel to another street in the subdivision next to ours. Our mail delivery clerk serves both subdivisions. The problem is that many of the house numbers on both streets are the same and whomever sorts the mail is not paying attention to the street name (and they are significantly different) and my mail was often getting delivered to the other home with the same street number. The missing mail included prescription medicine of ours. One day I even received three "Certified" letters from the IRS addressed to the other homeowner. Having worked for a number of years recently with the IRS I had a good idea of what those letters were and I hand delivered them to the proper addressee. She was very appreciative of my efforts.

I ended up contacting the supervisor of the mail sorting office and worked with him to get all the delivery problems resolved. In fact I believe our delivery person either retired or was removed from this route as we now have a new person with no issues for several months.
Tom D.