Can I get the new customer rate from Verizon Fios? Or should I switch to Spectrum?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
R2D2

Can I get the new customer rate from Verizon Fios? Or should I switch to Spectrum?

Post by R2D2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:13 am

I've had a Verizon Fios bundle in NYC for several years, and now that my contract is expiring, they want to raise the rates. (Roughly $128 to $148.)

I was thinking of just getting internet from them and dropping tv & phone. I can use Amazon Fire TV / Netflix / etc to get the tv shows I want.

That drops my rate to something like $74 (edit: it's actually $86). Of course, the new customer rate is quite a bit lower; it would be $40 plus a bunch of fees and taxes, so maybe $50 overall if I were a new customer.

Has anyone had any success in convincing Verizon Fios to give them a new customer rate without having to actually cancel and return the equipment?

The alternative is to switch to Spectrum (FKA Time Warner) and just get internet. I saw someone mention in another thread that their service is bad, but there wasn't any more detail than that. Does anyone have experience with Spectrum in NYC?

Thanks!
Last edited by R2D2 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cableguy

Re: Can I get the new customer rate from Verizon Fios? Or should I switch to Spectrum?

Post by cableguy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 am

Its all the same. Check my screen name. Its all the same. But keep in mind....your email address, your channel lineup, the 1/2 day you'll spend waiting for them to do the installation, its all part of the cost of switching. Push them hard...ask to speak to their retention group....ask for a supervisor....you'll get something....

Topic Author
R2D2

Re: Can I get the new customer rate from Verizon Fios? Or should I switch to Spectrum?

Post by R2D2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:56 am

cableguy wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 am
Its all the same. Check my screen name. Its all the same. But keep in mind....your email address, your channel lineup, the 1/2 day you'll spend waiting for them to do the installation, its all part of the cost of switching. Push them hard...ask to speak to their retention group....ask for a supervisor....you'll get something....
Sorry, what in particular is "all the same"?

I can work from home periodically, so waiting for the "cable guy" isn't that big a deal.

JustSomeGuy155

Post by JustSomeGuy155 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:31 am

R2D2 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:13 am
The alternative is to switch to Spectrum (FKA Time Warner) and just get internet. I saw someone mention in another thread that their service is bad, but there wasn't any more detail than that. Does anyone have experience with Spectrum in NYC?

Thanks!
I have lived in NYC for the past ~10 years in areas with both FiOS and spectrum. I find that they are both manipulative - they give you a decent starting rate and jack up the price by literally 100% whenever the contract is up. If you call they'll try to give you a 5% reduction (so that your rate was only jacked by 95%) and give you a few extra channels and convince you it's a good deal.

The only way to win is to switch between companies every year so that you always have the introductory rate. Every year I call them to tell them I will cancel if they don't keep the rate increase below 20%. They don't care. So I switch every year. I don't care about particular TV channels so it's easy for me to do so.

I have found the value to be pretty much the same at both companies - the internet is decent and fairly reliable and the customer service incompetent. This is in Manhattan.

I have the installer come on the weekend so it's not a huge deal to wait for them. Also with spectrum I bought my own modem so no installer is required.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:40 am

R2D2 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:56 am
cableguy wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 am
Sorry, what in particular is "all the same"?

I can work from home periodically, so waiting for the "cable guy" isn't that big a deal.
I have had mixed success with Verizon. For one renewal where there was going to be a price increase, they were able to "find" a promo that kept my rate similar. For another, even though I asked for a supervisor and the retention department, they wouldn't budge. I canceled and switched to another provider. Of course, as soon as I switched, Verizon started sending me promo offers at a better rate.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:48 pm

I don't know all the details because my wife did all the negotiation (for me, life is too short to deal with Verizon!). We were going on vacation in the summer, so she cancelled the service. There was no equipment to return because we never had TV, just Internet. Actually, she says the cancellation was really intended to solve a different problem, which it didn't. When we came back, it took a couple of days, but we re-started the service at a higher speed and much lower monthly rate. My wife says they assured her that when next year rolls around, if the rate has increased, she can "re-negotiate" to the lowest rate. We'll see.

This is in Maryland, not NYC, and it is a huge time-wasting hassle, but it is possible.

On the other hand, the actual service has been absolutely rock solid, the installers are great, and customer support (once you get through the robots to the actual tech person) is superb.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 pm

I just did my every two years negotiations with Verizon FIOS.
My rate had gone up from $113 to $130.77.
I have an 800 number for renewals and called.
She could give me a different plan since mine was discontinued; but it would cost more.
What she did find on TV service, (I allowed her to look at my viewing patterns).
She found 4 stations I watch would lose with those stations (and others) being dropped.
My speed would stay the same (75 vs. 100 which is the new minnimum).
I ended up at $105.78 per month.

What will happen in two years - maybe I will move to RCN (Spectrum
a/k/a Time Warner is my last choice).

About 2 months ago they upped my speed (at no charge
because I was "so punctual on my payments") from 25 to 75.

Since Netflix only required about 8; not sure I even needed the 75.

RJC

Post by RJC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Yes it's possible; however you need to cancel your subscription and change all your info (wife's name, email, etc.). It's kind of a pain but worth it in my opinion.

Topic Author
R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 pm
I'm curious why Spectrum is your last choice.

I had RCN years ago (maybe in 2008) and I was not pleased. And the customer service made Verizon look good in comparison.

Topic Author
R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:14 pm

RJC wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 pm
Yes it's possible; however you need to cancel your subscription and change all your info (wife's name, email, etc.). It's kind of a pain but worth it in my opinion.
If I actually wanted to keep the same service but switch it over to my wife's name, it'd be a real pain, esp. since I have a cable card rental from them. I'd have to return all that equipment and then get it re-installed. That's part of why I'm considering dumping them completely and getting internet only from a different provider.

peseta

Post by peseta » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:05 pm

The good news is that these shenanigans will end in a few years tops once 5G has widespread adoption. Competition is coming.

peseta

Topic Author
R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 pm

peseta wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:05 pm
The good news is that these shenanigans will end in a few years tops once 5G has widespread adoption. Competition is coming.
I'm looking forward to that!

I spoke to Spectrum and they said that I could get internet for $50/mo (with no added taxes or fees) with no contract, and they'll guarantee the rate for 12 months. That's quite a bit less than the $86/mo Verizon wanted! I think they're making this decision easy on me.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 am

michaelingp wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:48 pm
I don't know all the details because my wife did all the negotiation (for me, life is too short to deal with Verizon!). We were going on vacation in the summer, so she cancelled the service. There was no equipment to return because we never had TV, just Internet. Actually, she says the cancellation was really intended to solve a different problem, which it didn't. When we came back, it took a couple of days, but we re-started the service at a higher speed and much lower monthly rate. My wife says they assured her that when next year rolls around, if the rate has increased, she can "re-negotiate" to the lowest rate. We'll see.

This is in Maryland, not NYC, and it is a huge time-wasting hassle, but it is possible.

On the other hand, the actual service has been absolutely rock solid, the installers are great, and customer support (once you get through the robots to the actual tech person) is superb.
I'm in Maryland also. My two year FIOS contract runs out in two weeks. I asked the chat person for a bundle without the landline, which I never use. She said all bundles must have tv, internet and landline. I do have the number for the cancellation folks, so maybe I'll give them a try.

RJC

Post by RJC » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 am

R2D2 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:14 pm
RJC wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 pm
If I actually wanted to keep the same service but switch it over to my wife's name, it'd be a real pain, esp. since I have a cable card rental from them. I'd have to return all that equipment and then get it re-installed. That's part of why I'm considering dumping them completely and getting internet only from a different provider.
If you switch to hi-speed internet then you'll never have to return/re-install anything from them in the future.

mickens16

Post by mickens16 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:20 am

Swansea wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 am
michaelingp wrote:

I'm in Maryland also. My two year FIOS contract runs out in two weeks. I asked the chat person for a bundle without the landline, which I never use. She said all bundles must have tv, internet and landline. I do have the number for the cancellation folks, so maybe I'll give them a try.
We have switched from a triple play to a double play with no problem as we never used the landline. You should try the chat again and talk to a different representative. Also, our contract with Fios ended recently and when I contacted the retention department they suggested to me to cancel and start a new plan under my wife’s name. The funny thing is when I actually called to complete the cancellation under my name the representative was going to cancel and restart a new plan under my name. So it all depends on who you talk to at Fios.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:43 am

R2D2 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:12 pm
Rob5TCP wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 pm
I'm curious why Spectrum is your last choice.

I had RCN years ago (maybe in 2008) and I was not pleased. And the customer service made Verizon look good in comparison.
I had RCN 15 years ago or and switched to Time Warner. It was worse.

Friends that have RCN, the past few years, seem to be satisfied. I dislike Time Warner intensly.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 am

I know people who have 2 cable/internet providers available who switch back and forth every year to get the benefit of 1 year deals.

Very little difference between the different providers in my experience.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:50 am

R2D2 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 pm
peseta wrote:
I'm looking forward to that!

I spoke to Spectrum and they said that I could get internet for $50/mo (with no added taxes or fees) with no contract, and they'll guarantee the rate for 12 months. That's quite a bit less than the $86/mo Verizon wanted! I think they're making this decision easy on me.
How will that end these shenanigans? Most of us already have competition (which we use to negotiate - or - if they call our bluff which happened to me last time and accepted my cancellation - we swap out all equipment every 2 years).
Right now the negotiation is between local-cable-internet provider and Verizon-FIOS in many areas/major-cities. Won't 5G simply just insert a third option? We will likely still be negotiating for the best rates every 2 years.

Topic Author
R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:58 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:43 am
I had RCN 15 years ago or and switched to Time Warner. It was worse.

Friends that have RCN, the past few years, seem to be satisfied. I dislike Time Warner intensly.
Ok, you convinced me. I just called RCN and they actually had a pretty good internet-only deal (and slightly cheaper than TWC/Spectrum).

They also swear that their tech support is out of Pennsylvania now, which would be a big improvement over the way it worked years ago when I used them.

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:05 pm

Thanks to this thread I just finally took the time on my lunch break to online chat with verizon. I don't get the teaser rate, but cut my bill for internet (and slightly increased speed) and phone by $23/mo for 24 months. I can live with that. Only other option in my area is Comcast, and they are a hard pass for us based on past history.

ohai

Post by ohai » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 pm

OP, I have Spectrum in NYC, internet only. The service is fine - I have not had any service cuts or slowness. I pay $40 or $50 a month. I was initially going to get Verizon FIOS, but they had a worker strike when I moved...

Spectrum has the benefit of not forcing you to use that huge FIOS modem thing. When I had FIOS before, I had two VCR sized boxes in my apartment. One of them was hard to remove, but I somehow did and brought it to the store. The guy said it was supposed to be fixed to the wall permanently. What is Verizon's problem? Anyway, now with Spectrum, I just have a cable modem that I bought myself from Amazon.

Overall, experience has been positive, if this one data point is useful.

When I was in California, I used Comcast, which was essentially the only choice where I lived. The service was truly abyssmal and it was 2x or 3x the cost of what I would pay for either Verizon or Spectrum in NYC. Even a few extra choices changes competition dramatically, I guess.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:29 pm

peseta wrote:
I am not a telecom engineer, but I don't think 5g speed and throughput will match that of wire to the home, especially FIOS.

RJC

Post by RJC » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:38 pm

mickens16 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:20 am
Swansea wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 am
michaelingp wrote:

We have switched from a triple play to a double play with no problem as we never used the landline. You should try the chat again and talk to a different representative. Also, our contract with Fios ended recently and when I contacted the retention department they suggested to me to cancel and start a new plan under my wife’s name. The funny thing is when I actually called to complete the cancellation under my name the representative was going to cancel and restart a new plan under my name. So it all depends on who you talk to at Fios.
This is what we are doing - just switch back and forth between my wife and I every 1-2 years to get the introductory rates.

Topic Author
R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:40 pm

ohai wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 pm
Overall, experience has been positive, if this one data point is useful.
That is useful. I really appreciate the reply!

peseta

Post by peseta » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:34 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:29 pm
peseta wrote:
I am not a telecom engineer, but I don't think 5g speed and throughput will match that of wire to the home, especially FIOS.
Actually, it’s as fast as FIOS and faster than cable. See, e.g.: https://www.howtogeek.com/340002/what-i ... ill-it-be/

peseta

CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I'm in NYC, and right now I have Spectrum for cable and internet. They're charging me around $129/month, and I'd like to get the price down. However, since it became Spectrum, they don't want to budge much on price. When they were Time Warner you could say you were going to quit, go to the Retention Department, and maybe they'd give you a deal to take off $10-20/month and maybe offer your HBO or Showtime for a year for free. But Spectrum really doesn't want to deal much. I'm thinking of going to internet service anyway and get something like Sling TV or YouTube TV which would cover a lot of what I watch anyway, plus I bought an antenna too. But Spectrum would charge me about $70 or so a month for internet only. They charge new customers about $40 ish for the same thing, but said I couldn't get it unless I cancelled and came back again in several months.

I'm thinking of going to Verizon Fios since they offer some deals I think in the $40-50 range. Question is, I bought a modem for Spectrum. Would I need and could I use that same modem (made by Zoom) for Verizon Fios as well, or would i need to buy another for Verizon? Does a service person come over to lay wire in my apartment and connect it to the (new or old) modem? I'm thinking I might, like another poster here said, switch back and forth going forward over the years between Spectrum and Verizon Fios unless something better comes along --- like 5K when we get more details what that entails -- to get the better pricing. Thanks for your help.

feehater

Post by feehater » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:03 pm

CrossOverGuy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I'm thinking of going to Verizon Fios since they offer some deals I think in the $40-50 range. Question is, I bought a modem for Spectrum. Would I need and could I use that same modem (made by Zoom) for Verizon Fios as well, or would i need to buy another for Verizon? Does a service person come over to lay wire in my apartment and connect it to the (new or old) modem? I'm thinking I might, like another poster here said, switch back and forth going forward over the years between Spectrum and Verizon Fios unless something better comes along --- like 5K when we get more details what that entails -- to get the better pricing. Thanks for your help.
Verizon requires a Verizon specific modem for their services. You can rent it or buy it (don't know about buying it used). As for installation, my experience in two different locations is that it varies based on the wires and hardware going to and in the unit, but the time that they did need to replace the hardware, all of those installation fees were free/waived.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:11 pm

I've switched back and forth between Spectrum and Fios probably 5x over my last 9 years in NYC.

Sometimes when you get kicked to the retention team before cancelling they will give you a rate that's coparable to a new customer rate, other times I've canceled and switched, then switched back after a year depending on promos rates etc...

You can also put service in someone else's name if you have roommates or a spouse. I believe (don't quote me on this) that you'll be considered a new customer by Fios after 3 months off your past account. Would check on internet for more.

For just internet, I greatly prefer Fios. For TV+Internet you get much much more with Spectrum these days.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 pm

peseta wrote:

peseta
Apparently Houston has this already (Verizon providing unlimited 5G internet at $70/month - speeds as high as 900Mbs but typlical ~300Mbs, according to their website). I'm trying to get one of my family members to bite to see how good it really is.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:29 pm
peseta wrote:
Correct, it will not match speed and bandwidth. It will be far far better (in locations with good signals).

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:19 pm

LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:11 pm
I've switched back and forth between Spectrum and Fios probably 5x over my last 9 years in NYC.

Sometimes when you get kicked to the retention team before cancelling they will give you a rate that's coparable to a new customer rate, other times I've canceled and switched, then switched back after a year depending on promos rates etc...

You can also put service in someone else's name if you have roommates or a spouse. I believe (don't quote me on this) that you'll be considered a new customer by Fios after 3 months off your past account. Would check on internet for more.

For just internet, I greatly prefer Fios. For TV+Internet you get much much more with Spectrum these days.
I quit spectrum cable internet october of last year (not in NYC) and they could not have cared less about me leaving. Not even the customary we'll give you a $10 gift card to remain a customer. I switched to ATT fiber internet which is far superior to spectrum, but will likely go back to spectrum once the one-year contract with ATT is up as they will jack up prices.