Mosquitos

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RJC

Mosquitos

Post by RJC » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi friends,

It's deck weather; however, every time I go out back I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitos. For some reason I tend to get bitten more than others (C02, blood-type?). Can anyone recommend mosquito deterrents outside of spraying DEET every time I step outside?

Thanks.

Time2Quit

Re: Mosquitos

Post by Time2Quit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 pm

Have your yard sprayed, there are a lot of companies that do that. If you are inclined to do it yourself, your can purchase the chemicals online and buy a motorized sprayer and do it yourself.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:41 pm

It’s not a short term solution, but we put out bat houses. Bats eat a LOT of mosquitos.

We also spray for ticks and mosquitos.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Install a fan on the deck. Probably the most effective deterrent.

Burn incense. Any type will reduce them.

Use mosquito dunks in any standing water/pool/fountain.

Bat houses. Bats eat mosquitoes.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Get a couple of inexpensive oscillating fans.

Also, see a fairly recent long thread on the same subject.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Mosquitos find me irresistible, like a starving fellow walking by "Panda Express" or a BBQ Smokehouse with the fumes in the air.

I find it strange that in a group of people, I might be the only one peppered with mosquitos literally bouncing off my face.

My home has large multi story decks, and a flowing large stream 20 acres away. Thus, mosquitos the size of quarters. Even the horses suffer without fly spray and net blankets.

Thus, solutions: I don't go outside when the wind is not blowing, I cover up every bit of me and don't stay out long, or only venture at times that the mosquitos are not around.

I'm also surrounded by thousands of acres of ranch estates and around that 4 national forests. So nature wins big time.

I am chemically and scent sensitive so can't use chemicals or incense, etc. Winter is wonderful, no bugs. Too cold for mosquitos.

As for bats, if they build a nest near or on your home, there will be other problems. Bat bugs are the cousins of bed bugs. Etc.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Citronella tea lights work very well.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Spraying for mosquitos will kill all the other insects, too.

I've been working in a local mosquito-infested nature reserve the past week. We just wear clothes: Long pants, long-sleeve shirts, neck gaiters, hats with mosquito headnets, and thin gloves. For added protection, the clothes can be permethrin-treated.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Try to eliminate standing water. Things like blocked gutters, birdbaths, etc. Fill in any low areas so water will not collect.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:03 pm

If you don't like the smell of deet try picaridin based sprays for skin. Just as effective and almost no smell.

crockpotinvesting

Post by crockpotinvesting » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm

I HATE mosquitos. I feel like they can ruin a relaxing night on the deck. I’ve tried everything and learned the best solution is getting a massive floor fan from Home Depot. It’s a bit loud and some guests find it annoying but no misquotes! It’s like sitting on your deck during a sunny hurricane haha.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:16 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:43 pm
Spraying for mosquitos will kill all the other insects, too.

I've been working in a local mosquito-infested nature reserve the past week. We just wear clothes: Long pants, long-sleeve shirts, neck gaiters, hats with mosquito headnets, and thin gloves. For added protection, the clothes can be permethrin-treated.
Not the most comfortable solution when it’s 95F with a 70F dew point.

graeme

Post by graeme » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:37 pm

My entire city is sprayed for mosquitoes regularly during the warm months. It does a good job killing bees, butterflies, and even some birds but don't affect mosquitoes. Still, the city gets to say they're spending $40,000 a month to attempt to 'do something'.
Last edited by graeme on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Wind affects the flight dynamics of mosquitoes and also disperses carbon dioxide which attracts them. One of the best solutions is to blow mosquito repellent such as DEET by a large fan.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:12 pm

You can also build or buy ovitraps to disrupt mosquito populations. The idea is to get the females to lay their eggs in a trap and ensure those eggs never get to grow up. We've found these work pretty well, but it's best to start from the beginning of the season.

We bought these and find they work pretty well:
https://www.bitebackllc.com/

There are instructions online for building your own ovitrap:
diy: https://www.instructables.com/id/Mosqui ... g-Ovitrap/

And I see other styles for sale:
https://www.springstar.net/products/mos ... of-6-traps

background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovitrap
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_ovitrap

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:34 pm

Time2Quit wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 pm
Have your yard sprayed, there are a lot of companies that do that. If you are inclined to do it yourself, your can purchase the chemicals online and buy a motorized sprayer and do it yourself.
Be sure that any sprays used are safe for bees, birds, butterflies, bats, and dragonflies. Bees and bats especially are being severely threatened due to pesticides and insect sprays. Bats also eat tons of mosquitoes so killing off the local bat population means many more mosquitoes. Bees are essential for healthy plants.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:54 pm

We frequently sit outside with friends/family and eat dinner on the deck in the evening this time of year...a lot. We are blessed with a low dew point in the high desert, but still a few pesky mosquitos. A fan on the deck really helps. But we spray a little Deep Woods Off Dry on bare skin and clothes this time of year. Not needed later in the summer and fall.
Retired 2018 | Every day I choose how I spend my energy | One Vanguard TDF except for bunch of individual stocks...still recovering from my Fidelity AUM days years ago | Now sleeping well at night

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:11 am

I use a DynaTrap 1 Acre insect and mosquito trap: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dynatrap-1- ... /203151930
It uses a black-light for general bug attraction and also somehow also emits C02 as a mosquito attractant. A fan/vacuum effect catches the pests as they enter the trap. It catches thousands of bugs. I've not sifted through the dump bin to sort the species, but nobody in the family has been bitten by a mosquito this year. I understand the lamps needs to be periodically replaced to remain effective.

friuli_croatan

Post by friuli_croatan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 am

I installed these two days ago. Easy and cheap for 90 days of use. First day, I could not tell any difference. Day 2 no mosquitoes. Today, day 3, we will see I will keep you posted.

It uses some sort of CO2 to attract and a non toxic mixture to kill them.

https://spartanmosquito.com/

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:19 am

Been using this for years. Chrysanthemum-based, no pesticide spraying! Very effective 15 mins after turning it on:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-MR-PS ... Caps%2C164
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:35 am

miles2go wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:19 am
Been using this for years. Chrysanthemum-based, no pesticide spraying!
If chrysanthemum-based, then it is a pesticide. It may not spray the pesticide, but it is there. Also if chrysanthemum-based, there is a chemical involved (in this case a pesticide molecule). I see the ad copy is very carefully worded and does NOT state "No Chemicals" ;) If a chemical was not involved I think the only other method available is radiation.

Time2Quit

Post by Time2Quit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:08 am

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:34 pm
Time2Quit wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 pm
Be sure that any sprays used are safe for bees, birds, butterflies, bats, and dragonflies. Bees and bats especially are being severely threatened due to pesticides and insect sprays. Bats also eat tons of mosquitoes so killing off the local bat population means many more mosquitoes. Bees are essential for healthy plants.
Agree, I does create a dead zone, so I wait to spray until the spring flowering is done, but I spray the perimeter of my house once a year and it’s eliminates the mosquitos, ants, ticks, silver fish, slugs, deer flies etc. I just do a 50’ perimeter around the house, and the bugs and insects can have the pond and the rest of 50 acres.

If someone figures out a way to farm dragon flies, ship them by the hundreds to the home owner they would make a fortune.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca

GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:14 am

Maybe available in your area too.

Get Mosquitofish
If you have an ornamental pond or pool, mosquitofish may help to control mosquitoes. Mosquitofish, also known as Gambusia, are small predatory fish that eat mosquito larvae. Read the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife’s guidance on mosquitofish (link is external)

Multnomah County residents can get free mosquitofish from May 15-August 30. Pick up your fish from Multnomah County Vector Control (5235 N Columbia Blvd, Portland). Call us at 503-988-3464 to make an appointment.
John

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:44 am

miles2go wrote:
Been using this for years. Chrysanthemum-based, no pesticide spraying! Very effective 15 mins after turning it on:

All pyrethroid insecticides are derivatives of chrysanthemums, but they are insecticides.

From the manufacturer's website: "Active ingredientD-cis/trans allethrin"

From http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/ex ... n-ext.html
"Allethrin is slightly to moderately toxic by dermal absorption and ingestion (2). Short-term dermal exposure to allethrin may cause itching, burning, tingling, numbness, a feeling of warmth, with no dermatitis (2). ... The toxicity of allethrin varies with the amounts of different isomers present."

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:39 am

As someone who has for 30+ years used DEET during travel in malaria endemic developing countries, I am pleased to see there are now effective alternatives that have been scientifically tested. I emphasize "scientifically tested", as I find the the non-evidence based home remedy mosquito repellant posts in this thread in conflict with the Boglehead spirit. There are data on these repellants. Last summer I used both picaridin (odorless!) and oil of lemon eucalyptus in my buggy Washington DC area back yard and found both worked well. I would give an edge to picaridin when it was really buggy.

I personally am not a fan of spraying yards with insecticide, as many other species are affected.

From the U.S. Centers for Disease Control Traveller's Health book section on Protection against Mosquitoes, Ticks, & Other Arthropods:

REPELLENTS FOR USE ON SKIN AND CLOTHING

CDC has evaluated information published in peer-reviewed scientific literature and data available from EPA to identify several types of EPA-registered products that provide repellent activity sufficient to help people reduce the bites of disease-carrying mosquitoes. Products containing the following active ingredients typically provide reasonably long-lasting protection:

DEET (chemical name: N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide or N,N-diethyl-3-methyl-benzamide). Products containing DEET include, but are not limited to, Off!, Cutter, Sawyer, and Ultrathon.

Picaridin (KBR 3023 [Bayrepel] and icaridin outside the US; chemical name: 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 1-methylpropyl ester). Products containing picaridin include, but are not limited to, Cutter Advanced, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus, and Autan (outside the US).

Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or PMD (chemical name: para-menthane-3,8-diol), the synthesized version of OLE. Products containing OLE and PMD include, but are not limited to, Repel and Off ! Botanicals. This recommendation refers to EPA-registered products containing the active ingredient OLE (or PMD). “Pure” oil of lemon eucalyptus (essential oil not formulated as a repellent) is not recommended; it has not undergone similar, validated testing for safety and efficacy and is not registered with EPA as an insect repellent.
Last edited by calmaniac on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:04 am

I use a homemade mosquito spray consisting of: pure peppermint oil, vodka, and water. I spray it on myself using a nozzle spray in a glass amber jar.

For spraying around the house and around the windows to prevent pests and rodents, I use the same, but instead of vodka I will use a few drops of dishwashing soap (so for pest control: pure peppermint oil, a few drops of dishwashing detergent, and water).

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:05 am

Lavender oil also is said to repel mosquitos. Trader Joe's use to sell lavender oil in a spray, but I haven't seen it in quite some time.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 am

miles2go wrote:

+1000

We've been using these for years.......very effective. Our deck is 10' x 20'. We use three units placed around the area......works very well!!! :sharebeer

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am

fishandgolf wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 am
miles2go wrote:
+1000
We've been using these for years.......very effective. Our deck is 10' x 20'. We use three units placed around the area......works very well!!! :sharebeer
Sure hope they’re as good as you say. I just ordered some. Thanks.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:26 am

friuli_croatan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 am
I installed these two days ago. Easy and cheap for 90 days of use. First day, I could not tell any difference. Day 2 no mosquitoes. Today, day 3, we will see I will keep you posted.

This is our third or fourth summer using these. I love them. I haven't seen a mosquito in our back yard this year, but we have as many squirrels, birds, deer, and cursed "no-see-ums" as ever. The first year we found that they don't last for our entire mosquito season (Southeast US) so we replace them in mid to late July.

A few weeks ago I bumped into our neighbor at the boundary of our back yards where he was spraying a low area where water sometimes stands as he was preparing for a backyard party. He asked if we had trouble with mosquitoes. I told him I hadn't seen one this summer and pointed to the Spartan cylinders we have hanging nearby. He told me that he and his wife couldn't sit outside at all because there were so many mosquitoes. I recommended Spartan to him, but don't know if he bought any or not.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:34 pm

I think having some amount of smoke helps. Not sure if is the smoke itself or the smoke simply masks the presence of a good human meal being near.

We don't get many mosquitos but the short time I see any, starting up the Kamodo grill and putting a few green leaves in on occasion seem to make them disappear.

Best thing to do is move somewhere where they are not a big problem :D

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:26 am
friuli_croatan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 am

This is our third or fourth summer using these. I love them. I haven't seen a mosquito in our back yard this year, but we have as many squirrels, birds, deer, and cursed "no-see-ums" as ever. The first year we found that they don't last for our entire mosquito season (Southeast US) so we replace them in mid to late July.

A few weeks ago I bumped into our neighbor at the boundary of our back yards where he was spraying a low area where water sometimes stands as he was preparing for a backyard party. He asked if we had trouble with mosquitoes. I told him I hadn't seen one this summer and pointed to the Spartan cylinders we have hanging nearby. He told me that he and his wife couldn't sit outside at all because there were so many mosquitoes. I recommended Spartan to him, but don't know if he bought any or not.
This is second year we have used them. We still have some mosquitoes. Perhaps they are less, it is hard to say.

They are basically yeast and salt water. The yeast releases CO2 and attracts them and the salt water somehow disrupts their breeding.

bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:43 pm

fishandgolf wrote:
miles2go wrote:

+1000

I just bought one, based on wirecutter's recommendation

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/mosqu ... trol-gear/

It works. There are some negative reviews on Amazon. I suspect they are from folks who did not follow the instruction precisely - for example, turning it on 15 minutes prior to use, don't use it when it is windy, etc. I think it is as good as anything else and it does not involve spraying things on my body.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:39 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am
fishandgolf wrote:
miles2go wrote:
+1000
If used correctly.........you will not be disappointed. Keep in mind, it takes ~ 15 minutes for the units to start working....very important. Also, when you order replacement or refill packs, make sure you order some additional butane cartridges (sold seperately).....you will use more of them than the repellent mats.

You will enjoy the outdoors so much more. And.....make sure you have at least three units or more......(or appliances as they are called)....location placement is important.........

Good luck......and enjoy the summer...... :sharebeer

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Mosquitos were gone in my yard when a pest control company sprayed every 2 months in form of a fog with several natural oils. That was done to protect me against another tick bite. Now the same company used a different sprayer, and mosquitos are back. So I use a 'Cutter' spray which is based on DEET on all not covered skin, and it works well for 2 hours.

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into many of these and see what works best for our deck area!

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:45 pm

bernoulli wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:43 pm
fishandgolf wrote:
miles2go wrote:

+1000

It works. There are some negative reviews on Amazon. I suspect they are from folks who did not follow the instruction precisely - for example, turning it on 15 minutes prior to use, don't use it when it is windy, etc. I think it is as good as anything else and it does not involve spraying things on my body.
What's the difference between the one in Amazon vs what Wirecutter reviewed?

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:20 am

RJC wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:45 pm
bernoulli wrote:
fishandgolf wrote:
miles2go wrote:

+1000

The Thermacell Radius must be a new model......I had not heard about this unit until I read the above post. The Thermacell appliances that I have used for many years are the units that use the butane cartridges and the repellent pad....model MR-XJ or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Mosqu ... B073SF4PWJ

If I ever need another unit or to replace one, I will certainly purchase the new model.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:52 am

They are bad. I went to bed Tuesday night with my windows open and woke up Wednesday with red welts and spots all over my ankles, feet and the palm of my hands. I actually thought I had a flea infestation from my dogs and laundered the sheets, fiproniled the dogs, and gave them both a bath but no it was just mosquitos. The news said they will be bad for the next few weeks due to the May rains in much of the country.

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm

I live next to a NJ marsh. High speed fans work well (and don't smell). Also Mosquitoes breed in standing water. Don't have any, or treat with the "donuts" that Mosquito control agencies use (Home Depot, Lowes, hardware stores.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:07 pm

bernoulli wrote:
I think it is as good as anything else and it does not involve spraying things on my body.
It sure reads like it involves breathing in a permethrin derivative when you are in the vicinity of the unit.

ByThePond

Post by ByThePond » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:46 pm

lightheir wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:03 pm
If you don't like the smell of deet try picaridin based sprays for skin. Just as effective and almost no smell.
+1

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am
fishandgolf wrote:
miles2go wrote:
+1000

Same here. Interested to try it,

bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:35 am

RJC wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:45 pm
bernoulli wrote:
fishandgolf wrote:
miles2go wrote:

+1000

I think Amazon sells the unit Wire Cutter reviewed which is the one I bought, saw no need to deviate from what was tested by Wire Cutter.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:08 am

miles2go wrote:

We got these a few months ago. Two torches and one lantern. My wife is terribly susceptible to mosquito bites. They have performed really well thus far. We sat outside for two hours the other night and she got one bite, which is an enormous, huge, vast, incredible improvement.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:11 am

If you are just going to be on a confined area such as your deck, you should get one of those bug zapping things. This seems better to me than spraying chemicals on yourself and it is also a form of entertainment for you and your children.