Anyone make their own tortillas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Anyone make their own tortillas?

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:04 pm

My family eats a lot of tortillas and am considering making our own thinking they'll be tastier and healthier (and cheaper). I have crepe pans which could work well or I may get a tortilla press. Any recommendations for cooking methods and recipes?

skp

Re: Anyone make their own tortillas?

Post by skp » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:14 pm

I've tried both corn and flour tortillas. I've had better luck with flour.
For the flour tortillas- I use a recipe from the family fun cookbook. I use a rolling pin. Cook them on my electric griddle. They are easy and taste much better than store bought.
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but my corn tortillas are not as good as store bought. They are thick and hard to roll for enchiladas. But, I guess they would be OK if you were frying them up as chips. I used a tortilla press for them and the recipe on the masa flour bag. I just don't think they are worth the effort. I can get a big at wallmart for $2 and even the great value brand are better than the ones I make. If any one has any suggestions on how to make my corn tortillas more malleable, I'm all ears. The press is in the cupboard ready for use.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:15 pm

I will say that the uncooked flour tortillas you can buy by the relatively large bag at Costco are very, very surprisingly delicious.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:11 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:15 pm
I will say that the uncooked flour tortillas you can buy by the relatively large bag at Costco are very, very surprisingly delicious.
Where in Costco do you find them?
We also buy uncooked tortillas, from Super Walmart. Agree they are very good, and easy to cook.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm

We made our own tortillas when we lived in Europe since they were not available in stores back in those days. But nowadays, living in Texas they are so cheap and freshmade in all the grocery stores there is no point in making them at home.

I don't know what you are thinking when you write "healthier". That made me laugh!

See youtube.com for recipes.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:32 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:04 pm
Any recommendations for cooking methods and recipes?
Regular pan, that is all my wife's family uses.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Despite growing up in a family where grandma made tortillas every day, I can’t do as well as what we get from the Mexican market down the street.

But the Mexican market is a very high bar.

WJW

Post by WJW » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:27 pm

My DW makes delicious tortillas using Bob's Red Mill Organic Masa Harina, and we had them this evening!

https://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-gol ... flour.html

Recipe
Mix salt into the masa harina corn flour. Slowly pour the water into the dough to get a good consistency. The dough should be firm and springy when touched, not dry or sticky. Let rest for about an hour, covered with a damp towel.
Preheat a griddle or flat surface. Divide the dough into 2-inch balls. Press dough between two pieces of waxed paper, or flatten according to a tortilla press directions, into 6-inch circles. Place flattened dough on a hot griddle or flat surface and cook until the top of the tortilla starts to look cooked, about 1 minute. Flip to the other side and heat for another minute.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks all. I didn't realize they're pretty labor intensive. Was hoping they'd be more simple like making crepes or pancakes. I may try it once or twice but will probably stick with the store bought.

The uncooked ones could be a good option too.
livesoft wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm
I don't know what you are thinking when you write "healthier". That made me laugh!
Some have added sugar and all of the cooked ones that I've seen have a lot more ingredients that I would use if I made them from scratch. But yeah, it's not like I'm eating a kale salad ;)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:01 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pm
Despite growing up in a family where grandma made tortillas every day, I can’t do as well as what we get from the Mexican market down the street.
Ditto. But then again, it's probably be at least a decade since I laste ate a tortilla. My sister-in-law makes some amazing ones (according to my wife and kids).

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:04 am

I've never had them but my daughter also raves about the ones Costco sells. In our store they're in the refrigerated section where they sell cheese, etc.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:30 am

Our grocery stores have a Tortilleria in the bakery, so you get them freshly-made to order. But flour tortillas are essentially: flour & lard and not really healthy. Probably one shouldn't eat lots of them except to gain weight.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:37 am

Either corn or flour tortillas are among the simplest bread products to make and will be better than what most people have access to at a store. Whatever pan or griddle you have will be fine. My parents made them at least once a week when I was a kid and still do today.

That said, it will add 20-40 minutes of work to your meal, so for us with two working parents and 3 young kids we generally buy pre-made ones for weeknight meals.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 am

These are pretty good but you need to throw them on a pan

https://www.walmart.com/ip/La-Abuela-Fl ... t/10317823

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:14 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:04 am
I've never had them but my daughter also raves about the ones Costco sells. In our store they're in the refrigerated section where they sell cheese, etc.
Correct, in with the dips and things typically in front of the meat area / beside the fish area

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:26 pm

8foot7 wrote:
+1, we buy the uncooked tortillas at Costco when they are available.

Otherwise HEB here in TX also has them.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:45 pm

I am pretty sure they are no uncooked tortillas in Costco. In fact, I have never seen uncooked tortillas anywhere for sale. Corn or flour, they always cooked. You can eat them right from the bag.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:50 pm

8foot7 wrote:
+1
Performance = Potential - Distraction

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:45 pm
I am pretty sure they are no uncooked tortillas in Costco. In fact, I have never seen uncooked tortillas anywhere for sale. Corn or flour, they always cooked. You can eat them right from the bag.
I’m pretty sure if you try eating these before cooking you’ll agree they are uncooked.
They have these at our Costco.
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ ... 86938.html
Last edited by Presintense on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:45 pm
I am pretty sure they are no uncooked tortillas in my Costco.
Fixed it for you :)

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 pm

My mom used to make tortillas every day when I was growing up.
Here are the ingredients I remember her using for flour tortillas.

All purpose flour
Banking powder
Salt
Oil
Water

I remember her using Grabber Girl baking powder.
And she used to use animal lard at first. She later changed over to regular Wesson oil.
I think the animal lard is what some flour tortillas where made of.
This is maybe why some people would think that they are not healthy.

My mom never measured anything, so I could not give spec’s on how much to use for each ingredient.
She would combine all the ingredients then knead the bread until she got the consistency she wanted.
She would squeeze out the dough to small fist size balls.
She would use a rolling pin on a floured board to form these circular tortillas.
She would cook them on a circular iron griddle.
After many years she was good at making them.
I remember trying my hand at rolling them out and could never get them to come out as anything that resemble a circle.

I have found that no matter what hole in the wall market or Tortilla shop where I have purchased tortillas, none can compare to the hot freshly made tortillas my mom made.

Also, there is one thing that struck me as a revelation. My wife is from Mexico. When I first went back to middle Mexico where she is from, no where could be found a flour tortilla. It was all corn.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 pm

DrGrnTum wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 pm
I remember her using Grabber Girl baking powder.
Likely "Clabber Girl".

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:47 pm

There is a mexican grocery store downtown that makes corn tortillas fresh daily. Now that we've had freshly made ones (we buy them still warm), I'll never eat another one from a grocery store. Not even close in taste.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:51 pm

I'd definitely recommend a press if you intend to do this a lot.

life in slices

Post by life in slices » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:09 pm

For those Gluten free people...

I make great tortillas out of Otto's cassava flour and usually toast them either on the grill

yum!

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:07 pm

I made healthy ones tonight with spelt flour, a bit of of olive oil and water - https://www.oatmealwithafork.com/5-ingr ... tortillas/

I thought they were going to taste pretty bad but were actually pretty good. I can't imagine how good home made will taste with white flour and some lard or butter. Might need to try that next :)

leeks

Post by leeks » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:41 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm
We made our own tortillas when we lived in Europe since they were not available in stores back in those days. But nowadays, living in Texas they are so cheap and freshmade in all the grocery stores there is no point in making them at home.

See youtube.com for recipes.
I think homemade can be "healthier" options in 3 ways:
1. No preservatives (in the past I have only been able to find preservative-free tortillas at Trader Joes and at a farmer's market).
2. Whole grain options (for "flour" tortillas), can use 100% whole wheat or spelt or multigrain or whatever. The ones sold as "whole wheat" and "multigrain" in my local stores do not seem to have a very high content of whole grain, and are annoyingly slightly sweetened.
3. No hydrogenated oils (still used in many tortilla brands in my local stores) and instead your choice of healthy fats (whatever one's opinion of healthy fat is, you can make them with olive oil, avoid lard, etc).

I find it much easier to find breads that meet my ingredient criteria than tortillas. But I have not practiced enough to make good tortillas at home yet. I remember previous attempts were a slow process and I didn't quite get the perfect cooking temperature. When my kids are a bit older I will try again as I'm sure it will be an enjoyable process for them.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 pm

^I suspect you do not live in Texas then where tortillas are made fresh in all the grocery stores around me from simple ingredients.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Flour tortillas are pretty easy to make, and the recipes are diverse. No need for a press, just a rolling pin.

Corn tortillas are a different story. I've tried many times but was never happy with the results. And they're more work.

That being said, I agree with previous posters that the uncooked refrigerated flour tortillas are hard to beat!

They've recently been added to some local Walmarts. I've never seen them at our local Costco though.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

mikemikemike

Post by mikemikemike » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:43 pm

I make corn tortillas when I cook mexico food, which is once every few weeks. I've never done flour tortillas. I buy masa (it's in a big bag like flour, and is mostly finely ground corn plus some other stuff I think). Add a bit of water to make the dough, then smush it into thin disks in my cast iron tortilla press (~$30 on amazon, but cheaper options probably exist). Quickly cook on cast iron griddle. Skillet would work, but I can do more tortillas at once on griddle.

Adds about 10 minutes to dinner prep for my family vs using store-bought tortillas, taste better, are cheaper (ignoring one-time cost of tortilla press), and are free of preservatives.

willygreen

Post by willygreen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Corn tortillas are simple food. My wife is from Central America and makes a nice tortilla, but not as good as her mother. It is masa harina, water and a bit of salt. They keep a cast iron pan on low-medium heat and a gas burner on medium. After pressing the tortilla, she heats it on both sides in the pan and then finishes it on the open flame - look for some brown spots on the tortilla. Then she puts them into a round styrofoam tortilla container where the residual heat steams them a little bit. This is what makes them soft and pliable.

Lately we have been buying an organic blue corn masa on Amazon which seems to make the best tortillas. The masa is fresher than what we get at major grocery stores.

dmncs

Post by dmncs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:24 pm

I make homemade flour tortillas about once a week. They are so superior to storebought that I rarely buy tortillas anymore. I use a rolling pin to get my tortillas thin enough for our liking.

Lard is traditional, but you can use any fat (shortening, olive oil, I use butter). A tortilla press is nice if you want to make a lot; if I'm making a big batch I'll use a press and then roll out with a rolling pin. I'll just cook them in a cast iron pan, no oil or anything else in the pan.

I started with the following recipe and made a few changes: https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/03 ... in-no.html. If you like thinner tortillas definitely roll out thinner. The first few times I made them I kept them too thick, but they've always been a hit.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:09 am

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with lard.

The anti lard was.he result of a successful marketing campaign by synthetic food oil companies in the 70s and 80s.

Fat is actually now seen by a lot of reputable modern dietitians às GOOD. Sugar in contrast is the enem, far more addictive and nonsatiating.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 am

I wonder if you can freeze those Costco tortillas. 50 tortillas for two of us is a lot.

mslaw

Post by mslaw » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 am

Thank you Bogleheads! You have provided another “adventure” to life - learning to make tortillas.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:15 am

WJW wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:27 pm
My DW makes delicious tortillas using Bob's Red Mill Organic Masa Harina, and we had them this evening!

https://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-gol ... flour.html

Recipe
Mix salt into the masa harina corn flour. Slowly pour the water into the dough to get a good consistency. The dough should be firm and springy when touched, not dry or sticky. Let rest for about an hour, covered with a damp towel.
Preheat a griddle or flat surface. Divide the dough into 2-inch balls. Press dough between two pieces of waxed paper, or flatten according to a tortilla press directions, into 6-inch circles. Place flattened dough on a hot griddle or flat surface and cook until the top of the tortilla starts to look cooked, about 1 minute. Flip to the other side and heat for another minute.
Another vote for Bob's Masa Harina. My wife makes great corn tortillas with this stuff. It's hard to beat fresh grilled skirt steak with homemade tortillas.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 am
I wonder if you can freeze those Costco tortillas. 50 tortillas for two of us is a lot.
I'm not familiar with the Costco tortillas, but generally you can freeze tortillas (or, at least, the flour ones).

Might be best though to separate each tortilla with a sheet of wax paper or thin plastic sheet and freeze it all in a zip-lock bag.

They thaw just fine on a cooling rack in a few minutes.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:20 am

Random Poster wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 am
I'm not familiar with the Costco tortillas, but generally you can freeze tortillas (or, at least, the flour ones).

Might be best though to separate each tortilla with a sheet of wax paper or thin plastic sheet and freeze it all in a zip-lock bag.

They thaw just fine on a cooling rack in a few minutes.
I'm actually wondering how these tortillas, being uncooked, don't stick together initially.