how is Home Depot's contractor service (for a water heater)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bernoulli

how is Home Depot's contractor service (for a water heater)?

Post by bernoulli » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi all:

How is your experience with the contractors Home Depot uses? Another post about Angie's List on this site brought me to pose this question to the community.

My specific situation is that I have a water heater in a tight space. I would like to order one from Home Depot.com along with their installation service but worry what the recourse is if the contractor shows up and decides he cannot get the water heater installed (for whatever reason, dimension or other reasons). In this scenario, I would be stranded with an unusable water heater that I don't know what to do with.

Your input and advice is appreciated, as usual.

Broken Man 1999

Re: how is Home Depot's contractor service (for a water heater)?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Last summer we used a plumber to replace our water heater. It was cheaper than Home Depot.

We had used the plumber before. Large company, by we seem to get the same guy, who we are very satisfied with his work.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:42 pm

Find a contractor who will check the space first
If HD will not do that try Lowes or ask around your community for a reliable plumber
HD and Lowes contractors rely on referrals, they should be reliable
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:44 pm

If you have natural gas get an on demand water heater. It saves big bucks over the tank type.
If not I would have a contractor look at it and let him handle it.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:00 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:44 pm
If you have natural gas get an on demand water heater. It saves big bucks over the tank type.
I am interested in your computations.
On demand water heater is more expensive, can require gas pipe upgrades and requires maintenance. Also it wastes water (due to thermal inertia) which can be expensive.
"Big bucks" in my are where gas is expensive is limited to the loss of heat when not in use. Looking at the bill for extended periods of time when I am in vacation, loss of heat costs about 1$ a day for a 25 y old water heater, probably half of that for a new one.
Last edited by Starfish on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:04 pm

It was about 14 years ago but I had them replace a water heater in an unfinished basement so it was a very simple setup to install the replacement. I used Home Depot because I was in a hurry and did not have time to find a good plumber.

They sent out two guys that did not speak any English. I don't mean they spoke limited English or had an accent that was hard to understand, they spoke virtually no English. The spoke what was probably some Eastern European language. I would assume that they may have just arrived in the US and might have been some sort of refugee.

They actually installed it just fine and it passed a required local inspection so I can't complain but very odd that they did not have at least one person who spoke some English on a two person crew.

Last year I replaced it again and I found a plumber that someone in my neighborhood recommended. It was a plumbing company that only does water heaters.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:08 pm

When our heater went out, I thought about a tank-less system, but running new circuit to water heater would have been a real pain. Plumber was already there, calling an electrician would have added more costs.

No natural gas available in our 'hood.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:18 pm

I had the heater replaced last year.

The way it works here is that there is just one local installer. They have most of the popular models in their stock, so they don't need to go by a store to pick it up. I had a positive experience for the most part, although my situation was complicated by a code problem.

You can read all about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=251465

The all-in cost was reasonable, in fact better than other plumbers I contacted who would be installing Bradford White or whatever.
Play Gloria!

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Check your local government for any needed inspections. The previous time my water heater was installed, the plumber did not arrange for an inspection ,and I did not know one was required. The issue was the plumber in my county was supposed to pay a $50 fee, so he chose not to.

silentfaith

Post by silentfaith » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Don't use Home Depot for contractor work, it is becoming a scam. I got a bid for a mini split a/c from a hd contracror for $7300.00 I almost fell over. Ended up with a local a/c for $1900.00.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:09 pm

I had superb service without issues when I used Home Depot to replace two different water heaters at different times. I picked out the water heaters myself on the web site, so I knew they would fit without problems in my attics. Prices were right at about $600 installed for each one which was lower than other quotes I got from places who could not do it as fast.

I will admit that I did not need speed since we have those 2 water heaters and while one was not working, we just used the bathrooms serviced by the other one.

I can see that HD is only as good as the people that it contracts to do the install in your ZIP code.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Depends on who they sub it out to.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:51 pm

The thing I like about HD is they actually do pull the required permit so you do get an inspection of the work and the contractor has to fix any problems. Plumbers tend not to pull permits for this type of work.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 pm

silentfaith wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:33 pm
Don't use Home Depot for contractor work, it is becoming a scam. I got a bid for a mini split a/c from a hd contracror for $7300.00 I almost fell over. Ended up with a local a/c for $1900.00.
That wasn't my experience for the water heater. The cost was competitive, they took care of permits, and worked with me to get some of my installation problem resolved.
Play Gloria!

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:11 pm

I bought my water heater at HD and installation was quick and trouble free. That wasn't the case for my dishwasher installation but the water heater puchase and installation was flawless.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:42 pm

bernoulli wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:37 pm
Hi all:

How is your experience with the contractors Home Depot uses? Another post about Angie's List on this site brought me to pose this question to the community.

My specific situation is that I have a water heater in a tight space. I would like to order one from Home Depot.com along with their installation service but worry what the recourse is if the contractor shows up and decides he cannot get the water heater installed (for whatever reason, dimension or other reasons). In this scenario, I would be stranded with an unusable water heater that I don't know what to do with.

Your input and advice is appreciated, as usual.
I have used Home Depot for this and other installations. They do very good work.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:12 am

Starfish wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:00 pm
J G Bankerton wrote:
On demand water heater is more expensive, can require gas pipe upgrades and requires maintenance. Also it wastes water (due to thermal inertia) which can be expensive.
My computations are my bills. I never go over my minimum water bill. The water gets hot instantly and never runs out. I got a tax write off for switching to high efficiency appliances. Last year I got free gas for four months because the gas company had to return the tax cut to the customers. The conversion has paid for its self in the eight years I have been using gas.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:10 am

My experience with HD contractors putting a water heater in a tight space was ok, but more expensive than originally quoted. The quality of the installation was good and it passed inspection. The original water heater I selected would not fit. He had others on the truck and it was switched during the same call to one that fit.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 am

stlutz wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:51 pm
The thing I like about HD is they actually do pull the required permit so you do get an inspection of the work and the contractor has to fix any problems. Plumbers tend not to pull permits for this type of work.
What??? In my city that would be illegal that plumber would lose their license.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:31 pm
Depends on who they sub it out to.
Exactly. Flip a coin.

You're better off getting recommendations from friends for a good plumber.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:20 pm

We had bathroom work done by Lowes contractors. The best thing here is that I dealt with Lowes. They were my primary. I did not have to dicker around with the contractors. Much easier to have an intermediary than dealing with the contractors direct. We did have a problem and I talked to Lowes about it and they did the conversation. And, in the end, Lowes refunded me a good portion of the contract price. I don't know how that worked out for the contractor, and frankly, I don't care.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 pm

No problem with a HD contractor. Pulled the old heater, installed new one, hauled away old one for $950 total.

jcchen

Post by jcchen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:38 pm

For lowes for a recent bath faucet, the plumber shows up to inspect beforehand ($35 detail fee). Then you return to Lowes to order faucet and pay for install.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Recently when looking to replace a water heater, looked at both Home Depot and Lowes.

The only difference between the 2 was that particular HD was requiring someone to 1st come out and inspect the site for install. I ended up going with Lowe's and everything went fine with the contractor they were using.

I've also recently had hot water heaters replaced by private plumbing companies.

Personally, did not feel there was any big differences between using Lowes/Home Depot vs. a private company, except the timeliness of using Lowes or Home Depot was better then the private companies. It was nice to be able to shop the particular hot water heater in the actual store (Home Depot/Lowes) and review the pro's/con's of different models/sizes and know that price was no different for a DIY vs. contractor install. I did find it harder when using a private company to be able to compare different models (they will quote you a price on the phone for install, but you have to specifically inquire what specific water heater brand/model is being installed)

You should be able to get an upfront cost for your install when you go to either Home Depot or Lowes and they put an order together. If you are eligible for veteran's discounts, they should be able to give the discount on the actual hot water heater (but not the install).

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Had my 6 year old gas water heater replaced by HD without issue for less money than plumber installed prior unit.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:14 pm

I have very good experience with a local heating and A/C company which is in business since at least the 1970s. They put a new A/C in 5 years ago, then 3 years ago a new furnace and hot water heater using natural gas. The inspector said that this company really knows how to do it. I also used a local plumber company, but never HD for that.
I used HD for new garage doors, front storm door and 7 new windows. HD messed up installing a new rear storm door, but corrected that completely with a new door.
You have to check everyone's work and have to be fully satisfied.

meebers

Post by meebers » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:05 pm

I have natural gas at my house. We only use it for water heater year round and fireplace in the winter. The monthly bill is usually $32.00 of which $10 is gas charge and the remaining is assorted fee's etc. If a tank-less water heater was installed and my bill was reduced by half, [not the fee's] payback would be close to infinity :confused
Last edited by meebers on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jucor

Post by jucor » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Carl53 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:04 pm
Had my 6 year old gas water heater replaced by HD without issue for less money than plumber installed prior unit.
Out of curiosity, why did you replace it so soon? We have an 11 year-old gas water heater that needed a valve replaced last year, and the plumber said it should be good for at least another 5 or 6 years.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:30 pm

jucor wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why did you replace it so soon? We have an 11 year-old gas water heater that needed a valve replaced last year, and the plumber said it should be good for at least another 5 or 6 years.
I can't speak for Carl53, but about 8 years ago I replaced 2 older tanks with 6-yr warranty 50 gal Bradford White gas heaters. The igniter/gas valve control module failed on each tank before they reached 6 years. I was able to get warranty replacement parts from BW and did the replacement myself. But in essence each of my units failed at about 5 years.

Topic Author
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your insights and helpful comments.

Topic Author
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:18 pm
I had the heater replaced last year.

The way it works here is that there is just one local installer. They have most of the popular models in their stock, so they don't need to go by a store to pick it up. I had a positive experience for the most part, although my situation was complicated by a code problem.

You can read all about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=251465

The all-in cost was reasonable, in fact better than other plumbers I contacted who would be installing Bradford White or whatever.
Thanks for pointing me to your post, a very helpful read for me indeed. In water heater, we bogle heads unite.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:36 am

J G Bankerton wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:12 am
Starfish wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:00 pm
J G Bankerton wrote:
My computations are my bills. I never go over my minimum water bill. The water gets hot instantly and never runs out. I got a tax write off for switching to high efficiency appliances. Last year I got free gas for four months because the gas company had to return the tax cut to the customers. The conversion has paid for its self in the eight years I have been using gas.

I just checked my daily consumption when I am away: ~50c/day. This is how much it costs me to keep the water hot. At 50c a day it would takes years or decades to pay back the investment.

BrendanP

Post by BrendanP » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:04 am

We had one put in last year in Manhattan. Lowe's from Yonkers did a fast and quick job- quality as far is I can tell. It was less than $1500 total. Home Depot wanted over $3K and said we needed some permits which no one else mentioned including local plumbers and Lowe's.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:47 am

jucor wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tank was leaking. Installer of new tank advised that I should not expect the new one to last much differently as manufacturers had cheapened them to match warranty of six years. Both were through the wall units that get combustion air from outside as well as vent outside.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:01 am

Support your local community tradespeople by dealing with them directly. HD and Lowe's will take their cut and whatever is left will go to the tradesman. Some will not care about this but I do. I don't like big corps funneling money out of my community.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:51 am

Starfish wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:36 am

I just checked my daily consumption when I am away: ~50c/day. This is how much it costs me to keep the water hot. At 50c a day it would takes years or decades to pay back the investment.
One has to deduct the cost of the replacement tank from the extra cost of an on demand unit. They hang on a wall so I gained ten feet of floor space in my basement. There may be programs or deductions for buying high efficiency units. I got a tax write and was switching to natural gas so for me it was well worth it.

My chimney now comes out the side of the house 99.99% clean.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 am

You should ask your local Home Depot who their plumbing contractor is. Here in the Denver area at least, HD has an agreement with only one plumbing / HVAC contractor. The honest guy at our local HD (probably a retired plumber who was only working at HD for something to do) said that the HD contractor was terrible, and said I would be better off buying the water heater and hiring my own plumber to put it in.

I looked up the contractor on yelp and on one other referral service (may have been Angie's list or Home Advisor). They did indeed have the lowest review rating I had ever seen on a contractor. Virtually no one liked them.

My guess is that HD took the lowest bidder when they established this multi-year agreement.

IMO

Post by IMO » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 am
You should ask your local Home Depot who their plumbing contractor is. Here in the Denver area at least, HD has an agreement with only one plumbing / HVAC contractor. The honest guy at our local HD (probably a retired plumber who was only working at HD for something to do) said that the HD contractor was terrible, and said I would be better off buying the water heater and hiring my own plumber to put it in.

I looked up the contractor on yelp and on one other referral service (may have been Angie's list or Home Advisor). They did indeed have the lowest review rating I had ever seen on a contractor. Virtually no one liked them.

My guess is that HD took the lowest bidder when they established this multi-year agreement.
Definitely can be differences in quality of service providers. Problem with many local plumbing companies is your not often going to know who is going to be sent from the company, an experienced senior plumber or some newer guy.

That is probably much more important for HVAC than replacing a hot water heater. Replacing a hot water heater definitely isn't rocket science.

Point

Post by Point » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:29 pm

I would measure the overall dimensions of the existing heater and the doorway to it. Providing the new one fits those constraints, I’d feel comfortable with HD.

spencer99

Post by spencer99 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:11 pm

I don't have information specific to replacement of a water heater but,

A family member recently wanted to upgrade flooring prior to a condo sale. The Home Depot bid was expensive and unclear (seemingly containing a number of "uncertain" costs that could add significantly to final cost). These ambiguous cost were such that they would not be determined until demolition of previous flooring had begun. A bid from a local flooring contractor contained none of the HD ambiguity, was substantially less than even the base HD bid, with the finished job being excellent.

The story linked below (the second paragraph is relevant to Home Depot's contracting practices and ethics) is worth a look.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... erals.html

S

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:14 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:51 am
Starfish wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:36 am

One has to deduct the cost of the replacement tank from the extra cost of an on demand unit. They hang on a wall so I gained ten feet of floor space in my basement. There may be programs or deductions for buying high efficiency units. I got a tax write and was switching to natural gas so for me it was well worth it.

My chimney now comes out the side of the house 99.99% clean.

So maybe you should have said that "it saved ME big bucks" because money came from tax breaks and switching from electric to gas, not from having an instant water heater.

bovineplane

Post by bovineplane » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 pm

We had a water heater replaced two years ago. Got quotes from Lowe's, hd and a local contractor. Gas water heater 50 gal tank. Lowe's and hd were both several hundred higher than the local plumber all in taxes, fees, permit, etc.

At the same time Lowe's and hd were cheaper on direct purchase on the water heater once you figure sales price plus military or 10% coupon.

We bought the heater at HD, picked it up ourselves and brought it to the house day before we scheduled the plumber. Plumber was awesome and did the install right on the estimate. Couldn't have been easier. Saved $300 ish total and only required me to schedule my own contractor and pick up the heater.

westie

Post by westie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Replacing a water heater is not rocket science. HD hires licensed plumbers. Unless they are more expensive, I wouldn't give it a second thought

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 pm

Starfish wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:14 pm

So maybe you should have said that "it saved ME big bucks" because money came from tax breaks and switching from electric to gas, not from having an instant water heater.
It isn't just "ME", everyone who has a tankless water heater saves as much as 34% compared to a storage heater.
https://www.energy.gov/articles/new-inf ... -hot-water
It is something worth looking into if one has to replace a storage water heater.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 pm
It isn't just "ME", everyone who has a tankless water heater saves as much as 34% compared to a storage heater.
https://www.energy.gov/articles/new-inf ... -hot-water
It is something worth looking into if one has to replace a storage water heater.
[/quote]
The source sited predicts savings as high as 34%, or as little as 24%. The savings tend to be much lower in warmer climates. Consumer Reports estimates savings to be only $70-80 per year. IOWs the estimates vary wildly.

I did consider tankless before my last replacement. I have 2 50gal tanks, consume relatively little hot water, live in mild climate, and the gas rates in our area are also lower than average.

I can calculate my potential savings. My break even point to replace one of my tanks with a tankless, based on capital cost and energy savings alone, is about 32 years. Trouble is the system will last less much less time then that. I haven't included any system maintenance cost.
Last edited by neilpilot on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:37 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm
I can calculate my potential savings. My break even point to replace one of my tanks with a tankless, based on capital cost and energy savings alone, is about 32 years. Trouble is the system will last less than last that time. I haven't included any system maintenance cost.
Tankless heaters are more efficient than tank type heaters. As for recouping up front cost that varies. Let's us not forget to save the Earth; that is priceless.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:57 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:37 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm
I can calculate my potential savings. My break even point to replace one of my tanks with a tankless, based on capital cost and energy savings alone, is about 32 years. Trouble is the system will last less than last that time. I haven't included any system maintenance cost.
Tankless heaters are more efficient than tank type heaters. As for recouping up front cost that varies. Let's us not forget to save the Earth; that is priceless.
Might as well just go solar, and settle for a warm shower. Priceless :D

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:42 pm

Home Depot isn't cheap but they're thorough. Pan, straps, vent, hoses, expansion tank, city permit, are all included. They use a company called Fast Water in Southern California. https://www.fastwaterheater.com/service ... dium=local

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:29 am

My current water heater is over 30 years old and will probably require replacement in the coming years. Many of our neighbors have used and have been happy with a company called Just Water Heaters which will install a 40 gallon electric water heater for $599 plus tax.

http://justwaterheaterstucson.com/water ... -services/

This service includes:

40-gallon name brand electric water heater
Delivery
Installation
Supply lines
Permit
Inspection
Removal of the old water heater
6-year manufacturers warranty

Gas water heaters are slightly higher as they are more expensive due to liability issues for the manufacturers.

Bubbacat

Post by Bubbacat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:46 am

We went with a plumber referred by HD. During the initial call I noted that the space is tight. They set up an appointment to come out and measure to ensure the unit would fit and comply with new code requirements.

Very happy with the service - they advised switching to a different model than the one I selected in the store at about same cost to ensure a proper fit.

Would definitely use them again.

Bubbacat