IPhone 6 - showing some age

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

IPhone 6 - showing some age

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 am

I have an iPhone 6 purchased in December 2015 that I have become very accustomed to and it has never given me any problems. It serves me well vs. the other way around.

I recently noted the battery draining quite a bit faster than it used to, even with all the usual tips to keep it stronger.

I took it to a registered Apple repair place - the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

They ran diagnostics and came back and reported their tool shows no issues with the battery, so I could not pay them to replace it even if I wanted to. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but whatever.

Their recommendation to me is to simply buy a new phone (hello geniuses, thanks for that).

I'm old school. We believe in repair before shelling out a cool $700-$800 for another phone.

Are there other options here for replacement of the battery? THANKS
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

mortfree

Re: IPhone 6 - showing some age

Post by mortfree » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:15 am

When is the last time you turned your phone completely off?

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:17 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 am
I have an iPhone 6 purchased in December 2015 that I have become very accustomed to and it has never given me any problems. It serves me well vs. the other way around.

I recently noted the battery draining quite a bit faster than it used to, even with all the usual tips to keep it stronger.

They ran diagnostics and came back and reported their tool shows no issues with the battery, so I could not pay them to replace it even if I wanted to. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but whatever.

Their recommendation to me is to simply buy a new phone (hello geniuses, thanks for that).

I'm old school. We believe in repair before shelling out a cool $700-$800 for another phone.

If you're handy, buy a battery replacement kit on Amazon and look up one of many YouTube videos for instructions. I did this for an old iPhone 5 a few years ago and it worked very well.

I'm sure a local iPhone repair shop would do the same thing and charge you a bit more for the labor if you wanted to go that route.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 am

I would suggest going to an Apple store or sending it to Apple if you don’t have a store close by. I think the $25 iPhone 6 battery plan has ended.

PM me if you want more information.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 am

I do not know if this will work, but you might check with Batteries Plus if they are in your area. They are great for any type of battery and may be able to help you.

I agree with your philosophy of continuing to use things that still work for you.

rai

Post by rai » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 am

I’m exactly the same mine is a 6 plus.

I brought it to Apple store to check the battery and they said everything is fine there is a diagnostic on the phone says the battery is like 90%

I thought about getting a new battery but the phone is only worth like $99 trade in also not as fast as it could be so I’m thinking to upgrade to an all new phone sometime this year don’t feel like it’s worthwhile to replace the battery because likely it will still be slow and I’d want a new phone anyway.

Sometimes it’ll be 70% and the next minute it’ll be 20% and sometime I’ll go to charge it or turn it off and the battery will say 50% when a minute ago that was like 11% in the red.

If I can hold off until the fall like October it’ll be I think 4 years old.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:25 am

rai wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 am

I brought it to Apple store to check the battery and they said everything is fine there is a diagnostic on the phone says the battery is like 90%

I thought about getting a new battery but the phone is only worth like $99 trade in also not as fast as it could be so I’m thinking to upgrade to an all new phone sometime this year don’t feel like it’s worthwhile to replace the battery because likely it will still be slow and I’d want a new phone anyway.

Sometimes it’ll be 70% and the next minute it’ll be 20% and sometime I’ll go to charge it or turn it off and the battery will say 50% when a minute ago that was like 11% in the red.
I would make a Genius appointment and describe the symptoms.

rai

Post by rai » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 am

Just saw that a Verizon has a Father’s Day promo when you buy one flagship iPhone they’ll give you an XS free but I only need one phone and probably like to wait for the iPhone XI
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 am

Send it to Apple. I think the battery replacement is $99. Ths is far cheaper than a new phone.

Also fo into Settings app, find Battery , and see which apps are using up cpu. See if there is something unusual going on.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:29 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 am
Send it to Apple. I think the battery replacement is $99. Ths is far cheaper than a new phone.

Also fo into Settings app, find Battery , and see which apps are using up cpu. See if there is something unusual going on.
Good advice. FB is a battery hog, for example.

BCNR

Post by BCNR » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:30 am

I understand it bothers to pay for battery when the phone is worth $99 only. But, if the replacement phone costs you $700 or more, the battery change might be worth unless the features/performance of the new phone makes a difference for you.

Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 am

I had a 6+ that was about 4 years old and having no problems. Bought a XR for $750 and now enjoy the improved technology including Face ID which is even better than Touch ID. Think it makes sense to upgrade every 4-5 years even if everything is working well. Technology marches on!
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”

furwut

Post by furwut » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:45 am

Up thru Dec 31 of last year Apple was replacing batteries for just $29. Appears you missed that. If this is the original battery it likely is due for replacement. Check Settings > Battery > Battery Health. Once the Maximum Capacity is less than 80% Apple recommends replacement.

If you don’t want to replace the battery you could consider a battery case, carrying an external battery pack, or the charging cable and adapter* for quick charges doing the day.

* Note - the wall adapter that came with the iPhone is only 5W. The iPhone 6s (which I have and probably the iPhone 6 too) support fast charging meaning that a higher wattage adapter will more quickly replenish the battery. At home I use the wall adapter that came with my iPad to charge my phone. You can buy an additional (higher wattage) adapter at Apple or on Amazon.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:47 am

Similar situation here; I was going to get the battery replacement while they had that deal going on, but did not get around to it.
Here is what I don't know: does replacing the battery always fix the problem?
in other words, is the reason our batteries drain faster "old battery" or "more bloated IOS wasting energy"?

Other problem my iPhone 6 has is charging port makes poor contact with charging plug. Helps somewhat (but does not cure) to clean out the charging port, but keeping the plug plugged in is always precarious - I probably need a new charging port too. Or maybe I'm not capable of getting it clean enough.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

furwut

Post by furwut » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:48 am

Kurmudjon wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 am
I had a 6+ that was about 4 years old and having no problems. Bought a XR for $750 and now enjoy the improved technology including Face ID which is even better than Touch ID. Think it makes sense to upgrade every 4-5 years even if everything is working well. Technology marches on!
As noted in my other post I replaced the battery in my late 2015 iPhone 6s last year under the special Apple $29 program. My goal is to keep the phone till 2020 or 2021 and then replace with an iPhone with 5G.

furwut

Post by furwut » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:59 am

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:47 am
in other words, is the reason our batteries drain faster "old battery" or "more bloated IOS wasting energy"?
Your battery is of an age that you are likely noticing some issues. See my other post to on how to check its health. Apple says it has made improvements to iOS 12 (and soon iOS 13) that should help with battery performance. Nonetheless, some apps running in the background (e.g., Facebook) are notorious battery wasters. In Settings > Battery apps are listed in order of their battery usage. Pay attention to those that have high usage as background activity and consider disallowing their background use capability.
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Other problem my iPhone 6 has is charging port makes poor contact with charging plug. Helps somewhat (but does not cure) to clean out the charging port, but keeping the plug plugged in is always precarious - I probably need a new charging port too. Or maybe I'm not capable of getting it clean enough.
Maybe dip a cotton Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and swap around to pick up the pocket lint?

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:04 am

ifixit.com

Repair yourself for cheap. They have guides / tutorials and all the supplies you need
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:06 am

I took my Iphone 6 into the Apple store last year when they were running the $29 battery replacement offer. The guy in the store ran a check on the phone and said my battery was fine, but I insisted and got the $29 new battery. This did improve my battery life, although I was not having any serious problems with the old one. The old one had been draining faster than when it was new, but for $29, it was worth the upgrade.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:23 am

Another option could be to explore the trade in value. I recently bought a new iPhone and the Apple store gave me 250 for my 6 S Plus.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 am

furwut wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:59 am
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Your battery is of an age that you are likely noticing some issues. See my other post to on how to check its health. Apple says it has made improvements to iOS 12 (and soon iOS 13) that should help with battery performance. Nonetheless, some apps running in the background (e.g., Facebook) are notorious battery wasters. In Settings > Battery apps are listed in order of their battery usage. Pay attention to those that have high usage as background activity and consider disallowing their background use capability. This is a helpful tip, I will try this, thanks. - GrowthSeeker
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Maybe dip a cotton Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and swap around to pick up the pocket lint?
Thanks for the Q-tip tip; I've read lots of cleaning tips and seen youtube videos, including one about replacing with a new charging port. I'm reluctant to use any solvents. A regular Q-tip is way too large to fit. I have seen, but have not tried, a thin toothpick with a wisp of cotton wrapped around it, essentially a micro-Q-tip. I have fashioned my own Q-tip-like instruments out of paper, and this works somewhat.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:43 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 am
This was my problem with my iPhone SE battery draining.
Damn calendar. Synching all the time. Don't need it on my phone. All is well now.

fposte

Post by fposte » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:59 am

Oh, interesting--I have a 6 and just started having this problem as well. My battery health is over 80% and nothing specific happened before the change; I turned off everything running in the background and it hasn't seemed to make much difference.

I like the phone and would definitely pay $99 to get a new battery, so I guess that's the route I'll go.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:03 am

Does anyone know the best place (cheapest) to buy a new iPhone outright? Not interested in financing it.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:07 am

You don’t need to buy a $1199 iPhone XS Max. You can get yourself a refurbished iPhone 7 which is basically brand new (new battery, new body) for $329 on Apple. You can sell your iPhone 6 to defray the costs. Since the phones are cosmetically identical you won’t even miss a beat—in fact you’ll have a nice speed and camera bump.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 am

GrowthSeeker wrote:

There are YouTube videos that show how to clean the lint from the charging port.

I used a safety pin to clean mine out and it was amazing how dirty that port was. Now I get a solid connection when charging.

IPhone7

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:37 am

The iPhone 6 will not run iOS 13 which is coming out this fall. It will remain "stuck" at whatever the final update to iOS 12 turns out to be. To run iOS 13 you need at least an iPhone 6S.

https://www.techradar.com/news/ios-13-features

This will probably finally push me to replace my iPhone 5S, which I've been dithering about since last fall. I may try to hold out until fall, when the price of the current iPhone XR will probably drop.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:51 am

Thanks all and op for bringing this topic up most useful, I was thinking of replacing my IPhone 6 with 6s since I have Walmart Straight Talk plan.

The new IPhone 6s is $149 but to hear ISO 13 coming out in the fall i just wait and see if i am able to pick up a 7 less in the near future.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am

+1 for Furwut's comment above (I wrote this then noticed it was mostly a repeat).

On the iPhone in iOS 12 you can go to settings -> battery (near the bottom of the 3rd batch of options) -> battery health

My iPhone SE shows a battery capacity of 88%. But it feels worse. If I use my phone often (particularly battery hogs such as the twitter app) I generally have to recharge during the day.

I've also found exiting background applications helps:

1) unlock the phone
2) double click the button to open a "list of running apps"
3) swipe them up to exit them in the background

Again, I suspect social media apps use background updates and more battery than you'd expect.

There are also "battery cases" for the iPhone 6. It makes your phone bigger and heavier but is an option.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:55 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:07 am
You don’t need to buy a $1199 iPhone XS Max. You can get yourself a refurbished iPhone 7 which is basically brand new (new battery, new body) for $329 on Apple. You can sell your iPhone 6 to defray the costs. Since the phones are cosmetically identical you won’t even miss a beat—in fact you’ll have a nice speed and camera bump.
Apple refurbished iPhones:
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone
Best Wishes, | Joe

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Although I would suspect the battery to be the issue, I would recommend to do a factory reset after making sure you know how to get everything back. If something on your phone is draining power, this could clear it up. I imagine there are tools that can detect if there is a software issue, but a factory reset always seems to clear up many issues (some malware is better at hiding itself). I am no expert here, but I would guess it would ask you to upgrade to a new iOS during the process. I also think the exercise of doing this is valuable so you will know how to restore your phone in case an accident happens in the future and you need to get a new one ASAP.
Mark

2bits

Post by 2bits » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:20 pm

According to this page, the battery replacement price for an iPhone 6 has only increased to $49:
https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35 pm

You could also buy a "battery case" for the iPhone.

I was making very heavy use of my new-ish iPhone 7, and found that the battery was drained before the day was over. I took it back to Apple Store, who said battery was fine and I was using it too much. They suggested buying the battery case - Apple brand was $99 in the store, but I got an original Apple brand battery case on Amazon for $79.

No problems at all with using the battery case. It more than doubled the available time for iPhone.

The battery case adds both weight and bulk to the phone, which is unpleasant. But that's a trade-off that I will accept.

I expect that a similar case is available for iPhone 6
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Stinky wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35 pm
You could also buy a "battery case" for the iPhone.
I was going to suggest the same thing but Stinky beat me to it. I also have the Apple case for my iPhone 7 and really like it. I found that I was perilously low by the end of many days. With this case, I never have to worry about it. It does add some bulk and heft but I kind of like it. The battery kind of stands out on the back which makes a nice grip. I was using a gel case already so it wasn't too much of a change.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:46 pm

2bits wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:20 pm
According to this page, the battery replacement price for an iPhone 6 has only increased to $49:
https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
It is honestly still a very good price especially since you know you are getting a decent original Apple battery rather than playing battery roulette with all the Chinese knockoffs. I had to replace a defective battery in my Google Nexus 6P and I bought one battery from iFixit for $29.95 and it was junk and couldn't get a refund. Ended up getting lucky with one on Ebay for $18.99 which works great. But with both batteries and some tools (which I have since used on son's and ex's phone) I was in for more than $50. On the bright side thanks to a class action it looks like I'll be getting $150 back for my battery issues.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:45 pm

I would trust the diagnostics. If they say the battery is fine, changing it isn’t going to improve things.

My wife has a 6s that she would also like to hold on to that had the Apple $29 battery service, shows in diagnostics still having over 90% capacity, yet she still has been complaining about the battery life being really bad again. What really needs to happen is we need to do a factory reset and see where things stand. Neither one of us really feels like going through that rigamarole right now though with everything we have going on.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:52 pm

batteries don't last forever, change it

dollarbillz

Post by dollarbillz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Not directly answering your question but may affect your decision making moving forward:

iPhone 6 and 6 plus will not be getting updated to iOS 13 this fall. If this matters to you, it may be wise to consider an upgrade as opposed to spending money on fixing your existing device.

Good luck.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:42 pm

I have an iPhone 6 which I've replaced the battery on twice. Its like a new phone when the battery is new.

One other tip is to limit your brightness as much as possible, that has a huge influence on battery usage.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Ran into the same issue with the same phone along with my charging port acting up. T-Mobile said they could replace my battery for 60 bucks or so but I went another route. Through Google I purchased the Pixel 3A for $400 and exchange my old phone for an additional $80. I financed the phone for 24 months interest free. This has been a really great budget smart phone.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:56 pm

We have a 6 and just took it to Apple and they put in a new battery. It was $75. Helped a little but phone is still 4 years old.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:57 pm

I got a battery case for my 6S+ on amazon for under $30.
https://www.amazon.com/iPosible-Portabl ... B07NVF7998

It gives me 3-4 times the battery life of the phone battery. I can go for days without recharging. My battery is actually pretty good but I think in certain circumstances (XFINITY mobile scans and tries to connect to hotspots constantly when I am walking around), it can drain quickly and without much warning. I’d rather have the battery case than constantly worry about changing settings and battery life. I plan to buy a used 7+ or 8+ when iOS 13 comes out. The battery case will work with the 7+ and 8+ as well. Phones don’t last forever but you don’t have to buy the latest/greatest.

NewbieBogle007

Post by NewbieBogle007 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:06 am

OP, try to re calibrate. To do this, just do a full discharge: play a video or do some other battery-draining activity until your phone completely shuts off...Then do a full charge to 100%

Also, are there any new apps that you recently installed that could be using up your battery more than usual?

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:51 am

rai wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 am

Sometimes it’ll be 70% and the next minute it’ll be 20% and sometime I’ll go to charge it or turn it off and the battery will say 50% when a minute ago that was like 11% in the red..
I had the same issue on my 6 and just had them replace the battery. No issue - working great. Battery replacement was $29 plus tax all done in a Apple Store within an hour.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 am

Kurmudjon wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 am
Just got a great deal on the XR, too, and it is light years better than my old 6. I was having to charge my battery twice a day. Well worth the cost to me.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:34 am

We had a similar issue with a 6S; it would drain quickly and then turn off. The battery health indicator wasn't accurate. (The Genius told us it often isn't for older batteries.)

Bottom line; if your 6 is still using the original battery, it's likely at its end-of-life. Apple will replace it for $49, and it's likely that this will restore functionality.

However, as others have said, iOS 13 will NOT be supported by the 6, which means that it could potentially be a security risk to continue using it in the future.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:38 am

mortfree wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 am
GrowthSeeker wrote:

There are YouTube videos that show how to clean the lint from the charging port.

I used a safety pin to clean mine out and it was amazing how dirty that port was. Now I get a solid connection when charging.

IPhone7
I carry my iphone 6s in my back pocket and as a result picked up enough lint to cause poor contact. I was surprised at how much lint I got out. I was still having problem and took it to Verizon at Costco. They said I had something in the port and told me to go to nearby Batteries Plus which I did. They got out a small splinter which was preventing good contact for charging, especially in car. It charges great now.

furwut

Post by furwut » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:12 pm

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:16 am

I used to sell my old iPhone and upgrade to newest whenever a new model came out until the iPhone 6 came out. The 6 was good enough and I stuck with it for almost 4 years replacing the battery twice. It wasn't a good thing to do. I replaced it with an 8 and realized how much speed and technology I was missing. I'm talking about just basic utility and functionality the 8 was much, much better to use saving a lot of time for basic functions. The 8 was slightly used and I got it on ebay for a very reasonable price. I'd say 2, but definitely not 3+ years is the max without missing out on very useful technology and convenience. As someone said the 6 won't be supported anymore with the next OS so recycle it. I'll keep my 8 for another year but then get a X at a big discount when it is 2 generations old.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 am

And I just had coffee with my mother who only this week replaced her iPhone 6 with an iPhone 8 and her only comment was that it feels like the same phone...

Point

Post by Point » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 am

A few things to try:
- turn off WiFi when not using it
- look at battery usage in settings - is one app draining a lot of power? If so, try killing app when not in use
- do a restart of iPhone
- kill apps when not using them

Try these tests independently so you can see if it made a difference. Test for two days before trying another test.

If you’ve had the phone for 2-3 years, replace the battery