For those who have a revenue generating website.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Presintense

For those who have a revenue generating website.

Post by Presintense » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 am

I would like to gain some first hand advice from anyone who currently has a revenue generating website. In general, I would like to hear about your experiences relating to the following:

1) Is this a reasonable DIY starter project or does it pretty much require the use of a professional design agency from the beginning?

2) If it's feasibly DIY possible, is Wordpress, etc. a legitimate benefit or would it be better to code it from scratch?

3) How did you obtain your domain name?

4) Do you use a hosting service?

5) Any advice or resources you would suggest?

There seem to be a lot of internet sites offering classes, tutorials, domains, hosting, etc, etc, etc. for beginners. If possible, I would rather know the value/necessity of these types of services, from the opinions of people like you than throw time and money into an internet black hole.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

renue74

Re: For those who have a revenue generating website.

Post by renue74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:11 am

I own a small web design firm and will give you some info.

1) Is this a reasonable DIY starter project or does it pretty much require the use of a professional design agency from the beginning?
These days, you can get fairly nice looking WP themes that focus on your business interest. Some are free, while others have a nominal cost.

2) If it's feasibly DIY possible, is Wordpress, etc. a legitimate benefit or would it be better to code it from scratch?
There are quiet a number of revenue generating gurus out there that run on WP. You need a way to have a content management system if you are generating new content and WP is widely used. For starting out, you can most likely get up and running by yourself.

Godaddy, Network Solutions, Namecheap....they all can get you a domain. Then you simply point the name servers to where you host the site.

Godaddy, MediaTemple, Rackspace, Hostgator, Bluehost....there are a ton of hosts and re fairly cheap.

Once you get up and running, I would suggest partnering with a freelancer such as developers on Upwork.com. That way, if you ever need a custom widget or something coded, you have a resource.

You need to look at your revenue generation model and decide what you want to do...."freemium" model where you provide some free content and then sell subscriptions, etc. Google Adsense where you place ads on your site. Referral model where you make $ from vendors who place ads on your site.

There seem to be a lot of internet sites offering classes, tutorials, domains, hosting, etc, etc, etc. for beginners. If possible, I would rather know the value/necessity of these types of services, from the opinions of people like you than throw time and money into an internet black hole.

Most hosting companies have many tutorials that will help you get started. Literally, there are people who have basic stock themes who are making $.

The most important thing....fresh content. Don't give up.

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am

Thanks for your reply renue74. Appreciate the info and encouragement.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am

Presintense wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am
The fresh content will also increase your organic Google/search engine ranking.

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:26 am

renue74 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am
Presintense wrote:
I'm assuming "fresh" means regular intervals of additional content, or is it more the "latest (hot topic) content" that counts?

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am

Watch out for the classes, people are still selling old ideas that don't work any more like commenting on other people's blogs to get them to read yours. Sooo many blogs have done away with comments due to the headaches of filtering comments, that this just doesn't work like it did 10 years ago.

I use Namecheap for registration and webhosting. They also (currently) offer a free security certificate, which is important because Chrome will mark sites without a security certificate as "unsafe" which could scare away people when the warning comes up and also, Google doesn't rank "unsecure" sites very high. I recently moved a website to Namecheap and got a security certificate and voila! it was suddenly turning up on Google.

There are Facebook groups that will help you with WordPress, my favorite is "WordPress Help (No Adds Allowed)"

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

clemrick wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am
Watch out for the classes, people are still selling old ideas that don't work any more like commenting on other people's blogs to get them to read yours. Sooo many blogs have done away with comments due to the headaches of filtering comments, that this just doesn't work like it did 10 years ago.

I use Namecheap for registration and webhosting. They also (currently) offer a free security certificate, which is important because Chrome will mark sites without a security certificate as "unsafe" which could scare away people when the warning comes up and also, Google doesn't rank "unsecure" sites very high. I recently moved a website to Namecheap and got a security certificate and voila! it was suddenly turning up on Google.

There are Facebook groups that will help you with WordPress, my favorite is "WordPress Help (No Adds Allowed)"
Thanks Clemrick. Those are exactly the types of newbie mistakes I am hoping to avoid. Appreciate the Facebook Group suggestion as well!

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Presintense wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:26 am
renue74 wrote:
Presintense wrote:
I'm assuming "fresh" means regular intervals of additional content, or is it more the "latest (hot topic) content" that counts?
Fresh content means regular intervals of additional content. #1 it helps with search engines and #2 it helps with bringing your audience back to read more.

Look at the Financial Samurai website. I'm sure that's a WP theme and I think the guy actually lists out how much he makes from his site.

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:30 pm

renue74 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 pm
Presintense wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:26 am
renue74 wrote:
Presintense wrote:
Fresh content means regular intervals of additional content. #1 it helps with search engines and #2 it helps with bringing your audience back to read more.

Look at the Financial Samurai website. I'm sure that's a WP theme and I think the guy actually lists out how much he makes from his site.
Thank you. I'll have to check the Financial Samurai site out.

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Another thought, before you pay for any classes or books, read the blogs and get on the mailing lists (create a separate gmail account for this) of the people you are interested in. You will get a good feeling for what they have to offer and should get plenty of free information. I don't have any suggestions because the people I followed and used 5-10 years ago have all moved on to different aspects of what they used to do. Things change quickly on the Internet.

And personally, start out with small, non-obtrusive ads on your site until you get established. These probably don't pay much, but there are some very, very obtrusive ad platforms out there and I have quickly left new websites if I felt over-powered by ads. There is one blog I stay with, although the advertising is getting excessive, because I have been reading it for over 10 years, but I might be put off by the advertising if I was just starting to read it.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Presintense wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 am
I would like to gain some first hand advice from anyone who currently has a revenue generating website. In general, I would like to hear about your experiences relating to the following:

You’ll need to be a lot more specific. If it’s just a blog or basic ecommerce site it’s easy to DIY. If not, you may need to hire somebody. Impossible to give advice without knowing details.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:19 pm

DW and I have several websites. From commercial photography (ours) to nutritional counseling (hers) to equine health care and photo art(hers). We are fortunate that DW is a webmaster and able to do all that’s needed. We also have photography contracts with various agencies such as Getty, etc.
Traffic and income stream is proportional to Google “hits”.
Then appeal and efficiency of the website.
J
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:17 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:08 pm
Presintense wrote:

You’ll need to be a lot more specific. If it’s just a blog or basic ecommerce site it’s easy to DIY. If not, you may need to hire somebody. Impossible to give advice without knowing details.
Hi KyleAAA. What's crazy is that I don't actually have any details. I am just doing some research trying to understand if building a revenue building website is anything an amateur should even tangle with. I understand it may be difficult to really comment on without knowing more but what I think I hear you saying is that it may be reasonable to get a basic site up and running then turn it over to the pros as it becomes more complicated.

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:19 pm
DW and I have several websites. From commercial photography (ours) to nutritional counseling (hers) to equine health care and photo art(hers). We are fortunate that DW is a webmaster and able to do all that’s needed. We also have photography contracts with various agencies such as Getty, etc.
J
Must be great to have an in house webmaster. Can you comment on where you prefer to obtain domain names, hosting service, and whether or not you use a content management system like Wordpress?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Presintense wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:22 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
J
Must be great to have an in house webmaster. Can you comment on where you prefer to obtain domain names, hosting service, and whether or not you use a content management system like Wordpress?
DW is far smarter than I on this.
I will confer.
okay. . . here goes. . .
Go Daddy
SmugMug is oriented for photographers.
No. Wordpress interface is awkward and not good for photographic content, also not good for copyright material.
Many sites do not have secure options for copyrighted photography.
DW also uses Blog Sites and has designed for that and they refer to the other sites, like a spider web.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Presintense wrote:
Can you comment on where you prefer to obtain domain names, hosting service, and whether or not you use a content management system like Wordpress?
My five-figure and six-figure membership sites run on Wordpress, with hosting via Siteground, domains via Namecheap.

My almost-but-not-quite seven-figure startup runs entirely on Amazon Web Services.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 pm

Presintense wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:17 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Presintense wrote:

Hi KyleAAA. What's crazy is that I don't actually have any details. I am just doing some research trying to understand if building a revenue building website is anything an amateur should even tangle with. I understand it may be difficult to really comment on without knowing more but what I think I hear you saying is that it may be reasonable to get a basic site up and running then turn it over to the pros as it becomes more complicated.
No, the opposite. Whether you can easily DIY depends entirely what you want to do. You could scale a blog to $10mm in revenue as a one person operation easily, but probably not a saas product.

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 pm
Presintense wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
Presintense wrote:

No, the opposite. Whether you can easily DIY depends entirely what you want to do. You could scale a blog to $10mm in revenue as a one person operation easily, but probably not a saas product.
Thanks for your reply. My goal is to be a one man operation that offers consumer information from my area of expertise and the revenue generation likely result from either ads or consultation or both.

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am

AerialWombat wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 pm
Presintense wrote:
Can you comment on where you prefer to obtain domain names, hosting service, and whether or not you use a content management system like Wordpress?
My five-figure and six-figure membership sites run on Wordpress, with hosting via Siteground, domains via Namecheap.

My almost-but-not-quite seven-figure startup runs entirely on Amazon Web Services.
Thanks Aerial Wombat! That's exactly the type of first hand information I am looking for.

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:17 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:39 pm
Presintense wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
J
DW is far smarter than I on this.
I will confer.
okay. . . here goes. . .
Go Daddy
SmugMug is oriented for photographers.
No. Wordpress interface is awkward and not good for photographic content, also not good for copyright material.
Many sites do not have secure options for copyrighted photography.
DW also uses Blog Sites and has designed for that and they refer to the other sites, like a spider web.
j
Perfect. Thanks for your input! I really like the concept of multiple sites that link to one another "like a spider web".

jminv

Post by jminv » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:48 am

Presintense wrote:

I have a few websites in different stages with one providing good income and the others still growing. The general idea is that they’re in a field I know very well and something I can stay interested in. It’s not blogging - not interested in that. They’re services. The one that makes me the most money is a platform where one side pays (businesses) and the other side doesn’t (individuals). Ads are very minor because the geographical location of the users is not a great mix for that monetization strategy. If the users were primarily in the USA, ads would be viable for that one. I have others with an ad monetization strategy that do well.

WordPress is fine, some very large sites are on it. I use premium themes and a few paid plugins, others free. I use a low priced hosting service for the ones starting out but also use cloudflare plus some optimization plugins. You need to optimize your site otherwise it will be slow and google will penalize that. People like to blame the host but often a large part of the problem is on your side. Use google page speed insights to get an idea about what to tackle first. The older site that brings me the most money is on a more premium host in the country where a lot of the users are. I use cloudflare with that too so works well serving the rest of the users which are in other regions. A backup service is helpful. Can be cheaper if through the hosting company initially.

Need to think about your monetization strategy.

Also how people will find you. If it’s through search you need to look into how difficult it is to rank for your subject matter. If there’s insane competition since ads are lucrative then maybe focus on more of a niche within that or look at other options.

You should use a paid Seo tool after you launch. I didn’t for a long time - used free ones. Was able to really increase my rankings and traffic once I did. Plus got ideas that became some of my newer sites. Also easier to compete with my competitors since had a lot of new I sights.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Presintense wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 am
KyleAAA wrote:
Presintense wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
Presintense wrote:

Thanks for your reply. My goal is to be a one man operation that offers consumer information from my area of expertise and the revenue generation likely result from either ads or consultation or both.
So something like a blog. Then yeah, Wordpress is a good choice, if a bit clunky. The benefit is that there is a huge community and catalog of plugins to do pretty much anything you want to do without needing to write any code (or paying somebody to do it). The downside is, Wordpress is slow and bloated. Probably the best choice for you, though. There’s really no reason you’d ever need to hand the site over to anyone else as you grow, although you’ll probably want to pay a freelancer to do some things for you occasionally, mostly around optimizing for speed. I will echo above that people like to blame their host, but the host isn’t the problem, Wordpress is. Hosting is a commodity so they are all pretty much the same.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:32 pm
Presintense wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
Presintense wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:

So something like a blog. Then yeah, Wordpress is a good choice, if a bit clunky. The benefit is that there is a huge community and catalog of plugins to do pretty much anything you want to do without needing to write any code (or paying somebody to do it). The downside is, Wordpress is slow and bloated. Probably the best choice for you, though. There’s really no reason you’d ever need to hand the site over to anyone else as you grow, although you’ll probably want to pay a freelancer to do some things for you occasionally, mostly around optimizing for speed. I will echo above that people like to blame their host, but the host isn’t the problem, Wordpress is. Hosting is a commodity so they are all pretty much the same.
Thank you. Is there another content management system other than Wordpress that I should consider instead? Any other resources you use on your own sites you would particularly recommend?

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:08 pm

jminv wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:48 am
Presintense wrote:

I have a few websites in different stages with one providing good income and the others still growing. The general idea is that they’re in a field I know very well and something I can stay interested in. It’s not blogging - not interested in that. They’re services. The one that makes me the most money is a platform where one side pays (businesses) and the other side doesn’t (individuals). Ads are very minor because the geographical location of the users is not a great mix for that monetization strategy. If the users were primarily in the USA, ads would be viable for that one. I have others with an ad monetization strategy that do well.

WordPress is fine, some very large sites are on it. I use premium themes and a few paid plugins, others free. I use a low priced hosting service for the ones starting out but also use cloudflare plus some optimization plugins. You need to optimize your site otherwise it will be slow and google will penalize that. People like to blame the host but often a large part of the problem is on your side. Use google page speed insights to get an idea about what to tackle first. The older site that brings me the most money is on a more premium host in the country where a lot of the users are. I use cloudflare with that too so works well serving the rest of the users which are in other regions. A backup service is helpful. Can be cheaper if through the hosting company initially.

Need to think about your monetization strategy.

Also how people will find you. If it’s through search you need to look into how difficult it is to rank for your subject matter. If there’s insane competition since ads are lucrative then maybe focus on more of a niche within that or look at other options.

You should use a paid Seo tool after you launch. I didn’t for a long time - used free ones. Was able to really increase my rankings and traffic once I did. Plus got ideas that became some of my newer sites. Also easier to compete with my competitors since had a lot of new I sights.
Thanks for taking time to respond. I appreciate the info. One question: Did you start without prior site building experience or was that something you were already familiar with before creating your own revenue generating sites? Thanks again.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Presintense wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Presintense wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
Presintense wrote:

Thank you. Is there another content management system other than Wordpress that I should consider instead? Any other resources you use on your own sites you would particularly recommend?
No, use WordPress. Other options require you to be more technical, for the most part. If you can write an email, you can use Wordpress. There is no technical expertise required, which is why it is so popular and why I recommend it despite the drawbacks. SEM Rush is a good product, although expensive. You can probably wait until you have some traction to invest.

jb1

Post by jb1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Not to hijack, but what would people recommend for building a simple, informational site, with a blog?

Wix, weebly, wordpress, squarespace,

Topic Author
Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:40 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:28 pm
Presintense wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Presintense wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:

No, use WordPress. Other options require you to be more technical, for the most part. If you can write an email, you can use Wordpress. There is no technical expertise required, which is why it is so popular and why I recommend it despite the drawbacks. SEM Rush is a good product, although expensive. You can probably wait until you have some traction to invest.
Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:59 pm

jb1 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:31 pm
Not to hijack, but what would people recommend for building a simple, informational site, with a blog?

Wordpress or Ghost.

jb1

Post by jb1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:09 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:59 pm
jb1 wrote:

Wordpress or Ghost.
Silly question, but wordpress.com or wordpress.org?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:23 am

jb1 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:09 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:59 pm
jb1 wrote:

Wordpress or Ghost.
Silly question, but wordpress.com or wordpress.org?
They are the same thing. Wordpress.com is just a managed host for a WordPress installation. So long as you can use a custom domain it doesn't make a difference. If you achieve scale you might want to migrate to a different host.