Alternatives to car rental for three months?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
snackdog

Re: Alternatives to car rental for three months?

Post by snackdog » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:43 pm

You can definitely get it under $700/mo with a major agency, like Budget, which offers monthly rentals.

Topic Author
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Thanks everyone.

As a quick update:

(1) Airport vs. non-airport rental. There does not seem to be a meaningful difference in price between these two options. In our area (nearest airport is RDU), the cost to rent from the local town branch of Enterprise is $1,116 for a full-size car for one month and the cost for the same class car from the airport Enterprise is $1,034. The base rate in town is $950 and the base rate at the airport is $660, and then the difference is made up by all of the airport fees. It sounds like other people may not have had the same experience, so perhaps rental companies have changed their pricing or there is just something strange about this particular market?

(2) Buying / borrowing from a friend. I don't think we will go this route. If we had close friends / family with an extra car we would definitely use it, but stretching the network beyond that seems risky to me. We had a bad experience loaning a car to a friend-of-a-friend type who then damaged the engine, and it put everyone in an awkward position. And the logistics / work involved in buying and then reselling, not to mention the risk of something major going wrong with the car, seem too high relative to the likely savings (if any).

Thanks again for all of the feedback / suggestions!
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 pm

HockeyFan99 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:40 pm
Thanks everyone.
As a quick update:
(1) Airport vs. non-airport rental. There does not seem to be a meaningful difference in price between these two options. In our area (nearest airport is RDU), the cost to rent from the local town branch of Enterprise is $1,116 for a full-size car for one month and the cost for the same class car from the airport Enterprise is $1,034. The base rate in town is $950 and the base rate at the airport is $660, and then the difference is made up by all of the airport fees. It sounds like other people may not have had the same experience, so perhaps rental companies have changed their pricing or there is just something strange about this particular market?
(2) Buying / borrowing from a friend. I don't think we will go this route. If we had close friends / family with an extra car we would definitely use it, but stretching the network beyond that seems risky to me. We had a bad experience loaning a car to a friend-of-a-friend type who then damaged the engine, and it put everyone in an awkward position. And the logistics / work involved in buying and then reselling, not to mention the risk of something major going wrong with the car, seem too high relative to the likely savings (if any).
Does a non-Enterprise off the airport offer anything better?

Good Luck! And let us know at the end of summer how things went!!

sport

Post by sport » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Here is something I did once with success: Ask your relatives to contact their auto insurance agent, and inquire where the insurance company rents cars in their area when they have to provide a rental replacement for their clients. There may be local companies that you may know be aware of that would offer lower rates. The insurance company should know if there are such companies. The insurance agent may also have such contacts and be able to obtain lower rates as part of his/her customer service.

Topic Author
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:33 am

To close the loop on this, we tried just about all of the creative suggestions offered up thread (thank you all, again). Including dealers for rental / lease, insurance agents, in town vs airport rentals, etc.

In the end, the airport rental wound up being the cheapest, though we found a rental agency (Avis) with a sign up / spend bonus that will save a few hundred dollars.

We weren’t willing to gamble on the buy / resell route, since the potential savings didn’t seem worth the risk.

Thanks again for the feedback.
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:56 am

mhalley wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 pm
You might try turo, where you rent from individuals.
https://turo.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_m ... 72b2fbb311
Uber or lyft .
Zipcar?
I've used Turo twice now. The first time went really well, but the second time went horribly.

Despite having good reviews, the vehicle was unsafe to drive and Turo was totally incompetent in handling the situation - I'm still arguing to get a refund.

Long story short, after driving the vehicle from the airport to my main destination, it quickly became apparent to me that the vehicle was not safe to drive. They told me that they couldn't get me a refund and/or a new vehicle until I returned the car to the owner. I told them I couldn't return the vehicle because it was not safe to drive. They said that they could tow the car back to the owner with the owner's permission. The owner did not give permission for Turo to have the car towed because he did not want to pay to have it towed. Turo said that as long as I have possession of the car I would be responsible for paying and that I couldn't get a new vehicle from them until the old one was returned. The owner ended up picking up the vehicle himself the day before my trip ended. I ended up having to figure out other transportation for the rest of my trip on top of having to pay for the Turo (I was gone 8 days).

Throughout the process, they kept insisting that I call the owner myself to deal with it (I did end up calling him but he claims that the vehicle was working fine when it obviously wasn't - at one point I couldn't even get it to start).

Turo is great when everything goes well, but when things go wrong, they go very, very wrong.

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:20 pm

HockeyFan99 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:40 pm
Thanks everyone.

As a quick update:

Sounds like you're making great progress!
Only suggestion I would add would be to price compare renting the car through Costco.
They partner with Alamo, Avis, Budget and Enterprise.
On their website you can compare prices from all four at one time and compare airport vs off-airport pickup prices.
The past few trips we've made, Costco has consistently had best prices.

If you want to fine-tune it further, check out cost of several 1-week rentals to 1-month rentals. (Could be more hassle than you want on vacation though.)

Enjoy your trip!

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:31 pm

One more thing to look at if you don't mind the hassle is looking at multiple rentals each under 30 days and seeing if the total is less. I think sometimes once you go over 30 days the rates go up.