Alternatives to car rental for three months?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HockeyFan99

Alternatives to car rental for three months?

Post by HockeyFan99 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 pm

We will be staying with relatives for the summer (approximately 2-3 months) and will need a car for that time.

Rental cars, even on a monthly rate, are quite expensive (approx. $1,000 / month, not including gas) for what we need (room enough for two car seats plus large stroller).

Are there any viable alternatives to renting that don’t involve a ton of risk (eg buying a used car for much more money and hoping to get a good price on resale at end of summer)? Wondering if anybody here has confronted this issue before.

Thanks for suggestions!
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato

mhalley

Re: Alternatives to car rental for three months?

Post by mhalley » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 pm

You might try turo, where you rent from individuals.
https://turo.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_m ... 72b2fbb311
Uber or lyft .
Zipcar?

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 pm

I have not done it but there have been posts about finding someone that wants to get out of a lease early and then taking over their lease. Apparently there are websites for that. Sorry I don't know more about that.

LISD

Post by LISD » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:08 am

ship your car?

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 am

Just buy something inexpensive and dump it when done.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 am

How far away is it? Is driving there and back out of the question? It looks like you have two very small kids, in which case I can understand not wanting to drive more than a day or two each way.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:54 am

If you don’t need a lot of miles, you might be able to rent for cheaper from a car dealership. I have got low rates this way while accepting (reasonable) mileage limitations.

Topic Author
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:21 am

Thank you all for the replies so far.

To clarify, we don’t currently own a car. We live in a major city where one isn’t necessary, so driving there / shipping our car isn’t an option, though would otherwise be good ideas.

The dealer lease is a good idea - I’ll investigate that, as we shouldn’t need to drive a long distance. Does anybody have any other details on how this works / experience with doing this?

We’re not going to get a junker - with two young kid we want something both safe and reliable.

Any other suggestions most appreciated, thank you!

csm

Post by csm » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:06 am

We've had to rent cars for 1-3 months nearly every year for the past 10 years (when spending time at our second home in the U.S. from abroad). So I've looked into this quite extensively.

Honestly, your $1,000 per month rate for a full-size+ car is reasonable and about what we've always paid, give or take 10-20% or so. The only option (other than borrowing a car from someone) that might be less expensive would the a lease swap as someone above mentioned. You can google it and find several websites where you can take over leases that have anywhere from a couple of months up to a year or more left. However, I believe this can be risky because you might be taking over whatever obligations were on that lease (service, any dents/scratches, etc.). I looked into it but did not think it made sense for what seemed like minimal savings, but could be more expensive if there are problems.

If you are not already signed up for Hertz or Avis, check with your credit cards to see if any offer status. For example, some AmEx cards will give you free Hertz Gold as well as a discount rate, which could give a better rate as well as possible upgrade.

Also try AutoSlash.com to compare prices. But don't necessarily go for the cheapest company.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:11 am

Do you need a car? Between public transportation and Uber you might do better if you are not driving every day.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:19 am

Rent-a-wreck? Older used cars but much cheaper. They're not everywhere, however.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 am

Unless you're staying someplace that's a summer tourist hotspot, $1,000 sounds very high for a month. You should be hitting closer to $600-$700. If there is an Enterprise or Hertz neighborhood (NOT airport or hotel) location near where you'll be staying, you might try calling that location directly. You'll save a fortune in taxes and It's very possible that the local manager will be willing to work out a deal with you that's much better than what's shown online.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:33 am

I had to rent for a couple of months from Enterprise. There would have been an astonishing difference in price (almost doubled) depending on whether I bought their insurance or not. My insurance company, AMICA, covers 30 days rental, but increased it to 60 days when I asked. I paid about $1000 a month once taxes etc. were included.

You may just have to suck it up. Three months is a long time, and with a rental car at least you don't have to worry about mechanical stuff, which you don't want to do with two ankle biters.

David Althaus

Post by David Althaus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am

Agree with csm. We spend winter in Hawaii. First year I used a rental which said "high mileage well-maintained vehicles." Well, our definitions of well-maintained were at considerable variance. Now we rent from one of the majors. About $1.2 k per month with about 1/3 of the total going to taxes. If you have a car seat you have a little one. Getting a vehicle that's almost always new, probably won't break down, and has the latest safety features seems like money well worth spending.

All the best

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 am

No experience - but I would talk to dealers there about what they can do for the three month period.

I might also talk to car rental companies (such as Enterprise) whether they have lease programs for this time.

Seems to me that buying a car and selling in 2-3 months would not make financial sense.

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 am

- Talk with a used car dealership
- Buy a used car and sell it
- Ask someone selling their used car (or an elderly person) to rent it to you for three months and then give it back to them to sell
- Foreign grad student going home for the summer
- find groups of people (students, teachers) that might be leaving for the summer and strike a deal
- rent a car
- take over a lease

sport

Post by sport » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:40 am

You might ask a dealer about renting one of their used cars.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 am

Might these relatives have an extra car for the summer (you could pay them) or might they have or know some of the possibilities? Maybe a neighbor who does not need one car for the summer. or, perhaps, someone who plans to sell a car - but let you use it for a few months - and then sell it.

Your situation would seem to be very common for business employees sent to another location for a 2-3 month stay. In my work history, I never had such an assignment - the longest I was away from home was two weeks several times. In those cases, my employer just paid for a regular rental car.

You may encounter some challenges related to car insurance - since you do not own a car and, therefore, do not have such insurance. I suspect, therefore, you will have to pay more than if you already had such insurance.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am

goblue100 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:11 am
Do you need a car? Between public transportation and Uber you might do better if you are not driving every day.
:thumbsup
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am
goblue100 wrote:
If I/we were to spend the summer with my relatives (where I grew up in the country) - there are near zero alternatives to having a car. Not sure about Uber or Lyft. But, with a family, there would be no acceptable alternatives.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am
goblue100 wrote:
If I/we were to spend the summer with my relatives (where I grew up in the country) - there are near zero alternatives to having a car. Not sure about Uber or Lyft. But, with a family, there would be no acceptable alternatives.
It depends greatly on where the OP is headed. Where much of our family is, having a car is necessary.

If I were the OP, I would just buy a car and sell it when I was done. That's likely to be less costly than $1k/month for a rental.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 am

Hulu wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 am
- Ask someone selling their used car (or an elderly person) to rent it to you for three months and then give it back to them to sell
- find groups of people (students, teachers) that might be leaving for the summer and strike a deal
- rent a car
- take over a lease
buying a used car is not practical. first of all to the deal with the crap of registration / taxes and you also need to buy insurance. much better to spend your time and money on a rental car or Zipcar if necessary
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:24 am

The one time I had to do this I found that a small local company was somewhat cheaper than the majors.

Do you have car seats? Buying them yourself is probably cheaper than renting.

If you haven’t done so, check prices at the off airport locations. A lot of airports force the car rental companies to tack on large daily fees.

See if you have a credit card that will cover the insurance you need so that you don’t have to purchase it from the car rental company.

The only other suggestion would be to see if your family member can find a friend or neighbor that you can borrow or rent from.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:33 am

Mr.BB wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 am
Hulu wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 am
- rent a car
- take over a lease
buying a used car is not practical. first of all to the deal with the crap of registration / taxes and you also need to buy insurance. much better to spend your time and money on a rental car or Zipcar if necessary
It depends on whether the OP values his time or money more. Keep in mind that he'll need insurance even with a rental.

mchampse

Post by mchampse » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:42 am

Look for off airport car rental places, whether a major or non-major company. Some airports tack on $20/day surcharges for renting at the airport. We’ve even taken transit/Lyft from the airport to an off airport rental location to save that on longer stays. (Some airports will only charge you if you rent FROM the airport, but not if you RETURN to that airport).

Credit card insurance generally covers 30 days. You can usually get around this by swapping renters, so you rent a car for the first month, then have your spouse rent for the 2nd month, etc. I was on long term assignment with a company and that’s what we did.

If you have kids that need car seats, Uber/Lyft could be problematic.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:48 am

We rented monthly from Enterprise for 4 summers in coastal CA. I paid around $600 for a month each time. I also rented the car in town as opposed to the airport. This was 2012-2015 and Enterprise had the best monthly rates at that time.

Dave

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:43 pm

HockeyFan99 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 pm
We will be staying with relatives for the summer (approximately 2-3 months) and will need a car for that time.

Rental cars, even on a monthly rate, are quite expensive (approx. $1,000 / month, not including gas) for what we need (room enough for two car seats plus large stroller).

Are there any viable alternatives to renting that don’t involve a ton of risk (eg buying a used car for much more money and hoping to get a good price on resale at end of summer)? Wondering if anybody here has confronted this issue before.

Thanks for suggestions!
If you don't mind sharing some more information ...

- which part of the country (and how far is the closest rental agency)? Better yet, is there an Enterprise close by?

- how busy or free are the folks you are staying with? Would they have time to drop you off at (and pick you up from) the rental place on an as-needed basis?

- how often - and what for - would you be needing a car?

- this someone already asked, but I might as well extrapolate it a bit more. Maybe your relatives have a spare car; if not, do they know someone else who might be able to help out by lending their car (you'll have to figure out if you can get insurance on that car as well!)...

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:45 pm

mchampse wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:42 am
Look for off airport car rental places. Credit card insurance generally covers 30 days. You can usually get around this by swapping renters, so you rent a car for the first month, then have your spouse rent for the 2nd month, etc.
Great advice! If you have local family that can shuttle you for the "down" days, you can make sure your credit car insurance covers each segment. Note that I have no idea what the rules on car insurance are for people who normally don't have cars.... Check carefully.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:51 pm

SixAlpha wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 am
Unless you're staying someplace that's a summer tourist hotspot, $1,000 sounds very high for a month. You should be hitting closer to $600-$700. If there is an Enterprise or Hertz neighborhood (NOT airport or hotel) location near where you'll be staying, you might try calling that location directly. You'll save a fortune in taxes and It's very possible that the local manager will be willing to work out a deal with you that's much better than what's shown online.
+1

Where I live, there are several rent a car places on the roads with all the car dealerships and auto body places. They tend to rent out longer term than the airports and are not subject to airport facility fees. If OP is visiting family and not doing a huge amount of touring, I'd ask about deals that don't include unlimited miles and see if they will cut a deal.

hayhayday

Post by hayhayday » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Fair does short term leases a low end car would likely run ~1k to start and $200 a month

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:24 pm

+1 on renting a car at a non-airport location to save on the extra fees and taxes.

I have even done this;

1) Rent a car at the airport for 1 day to drop it off at a non-airport suburban location.

2) The next day I had a two week reservation at the suburban location. I dropped off the first rental and picked up the two week rental. On my way out of town I dropped it off at the airport just before I caught my flight.
HockeyFan99 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:21 am
To clarify, we don’t currently own a car. We live in a major city where one isn’t necessary, so driving there / shipping our car isn’t an option, though would otherwise be good ideas.
Check on getting a "non-owner car insurance policy" (Google this.) from a normal insurance company and not as an add-on to through the car rental company. This should provide liability coverage just like how your car insurance covers you on rental cars when you own a car. Also check with the company you have your umbrella policy with, if you have once, to make sure that there are not any complications with getting a policy like that.

If the car costs $1,000 a month that is about $33 a day which is not all that expensive when you look at it that way.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Just rent a car and get the full coverage insurance. Any other option will have a chance of way more headaches than needed for such a short time rental.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Bobby206 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 pm
Just rent a car and get the full coverage insurance.
I'm sure that someone at a rental car company's just went 'cha-CHING!"

The "full coverage" we've been offered from rental companies has often been in excess of $30/day. Over the course of three months, we're talking about close to $3k at that level. No thanks.

Topic Author
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Thank you all, again, for the myriad and helpful replies.

To answer a few of the common questions / comments:

(1) Insurance. We already have non-owned auto insurance (through State Farm), so we can - and in fact should - decline the car rental insurance. We actually were required to purchase this as a prerequisite to obtaining umbrella insurance, since we don't own a car. That was fine, in the end, since we use rentals / zip cars enough that we wanted to have an auto policy.

(2) Location. We are extensive users of public transportation wherever we go, both domestically and abroad. It's cheap, generally reliable (in my experience), and a wonderful way to see / get to know places, especially new ones. Unfortunately, where are relatives our located is a 20 minute drive from the nearest bus route, and there is no rapid transit (subway, light rail, etc.) to speak of. It's a driving area (in the Southern US), and a car is a requirement. We wish it was not, but it is.

(3) Off-airport or leasing from a dealer. These are great suggestions, and we can definitely coordinate transportation to/from a non-airport location if it saves money. Will investigate and report back.

(4) Rent-a-wreck and other older car options. Good ideas, but not right for our situation. I will be on my own with two kids in car seats for a bulk of the time, having to drive every day. I need something that I can count on, both to be safe and not to break down (or to be immediately replaced with minimal hassle if something does happen).

(5) Borrow from a family / friend. Our relatives don't have an extra car (would be great if they did), and because everyone needs a car to go everywhere (including to/from work), car-sharing isn't a realistic option. Plus two car seats in the back reduces almost every four door car to one that can transport only two adults, meaning that if DW and I are going anywhere with the boys there's not room for anybody else, even if they were willing to let us have the car if we dropped them off / picked them up.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. We have some research to do / phone calls to make; will report back with final result in case helpful to others in the same situation.

MJS

Post by MJS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:54 pm

I ran 3 month summer car rentals through Costco Travel. On urban areas, it ran $600/mo; in very rural areas it was $700. Costco automatically offers TWO drivers.

I would purchase drivers insurance from your current insurance company, along with car rental insurance.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 pm

HockeyFan99 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:31 pm
Thank you all, again, for the myriad and helpful replies.

To answer a few of the common questions / comments:

(1) Insurance. We already have non-owned auto insurance (through State Farm), so we can - and in fact should - decline the car rental insurance. We actually were required to purchase this as a prerequisite to obtaining umbrella insurance, since we don't own a car. That was fine, in the end, since we use rentals / zip cars enough that we wanted to have an auto policy.

(2) Location. We are extensive users of public transportation wherever we go, both domestically and abroad. It's cheap, generally reliable (in my experience), and a wonderful way to see / get to know places, especially new ones. Unfortunately, where are relatives our located is a 20 minute drive from the nearest bus route, and there is no rapid transit (subway, light rail, etc.) to speak of. It's a driving area (in the Southern US), and a car is a requirement. We wish it was not, but it is.

(3) Off-airport or leasing from a dealer. These are great suggestions, and we can definitely coordinate transportation to/from a non-airport location if it saves money. Will investigate and report back.

(4) Rent-a-wreck and other older car options. Good ideas, but not right for our situation. I will be on my own with two kids in car seats for a bulk of the time, having to drive every day. I need something that I can count on, both to be safe and not to break down (or to be immediately replaced with minimal hassle if something does happen).

(5) Borrow from a family / friend. Our relatives don't have an extra car (would be great if they did), and because everyone needs a car to go everywhere (including to/from work), car-sharing isn't a realistic option. Plus two car seats in the back reduces almost every four door car to one that can transport only two adults, meaning that if DW and I are going anywhere with the boys there's not room for anybody else, even if they were willing to let us have the car if we dropped them off / picked them up.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. We have some research to do / phone calls to make; will report back with final result in case helpful to others in the same situation.
After you find out rental/lease rates, I would really urge you to consider buying a car that you would feel comfortable and safe with and simply selling it when you're done. It would be more effort, but the spread between what you buy it and sell it for could be significantly less than the alternative.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:43 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 pm

After you find out rental/lease rates, I would really urge you to consider buying a car that you would feel comfortable and safe with and simply selling it when you're done. It would be more effort, but the spread between what you buy it and sell it for could be significantly less than the alternative.
This could work but you need to be aware of all the associated costs and possible pitfalls. You would most likely register it in the state where you live. What does it cost for registration and associated fees, sales tax, insurance, etc. Potential for repair costs during the 2-3 period. What if you can't sell it for the price you paid for it? Renting is starting to sound cheap.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:25 am

mpnret wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:43 am
willthrill81 wrote:

This could work but you need to be aware of all the associated costs and possible pitfalls. You would most likely register it in the state where you live. What does it cost for registration and associated fees, sales tax, insurance, etc. Potential for repair costs during the 2-3 period. What if you can't sell it for the price you paid for it? Renting is starting to sound cheap.
Registration is $30 in my state. The OP already has insurance. Sales tax could be a significant expense. Repair costs are likely to be very low over a 3 month period, especially for a newer vehicle, which it sounds like the OP wants. It's at least worth looking into.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:42 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:25 am
mpnret wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

Registration is $30 in my state. The OP already has insurance. Sales tax could be a significant expense. Repair costs are likely to be very low over a 3 month period, especially for a newer vehicle, which it sounds like the OP wants. It's at least worth looking into.
OP only has non-owned auto insurance. Routine maintenance should be very low or non-existent. I would be more worried about an un-expected repair on a used vehicle, ability to sell it without a loss, sales tax, and registration and associated costs in the OPs state. Your state looks like a good deal. Some states are very expensive. South Carolina gets 5% the first time you register a car plus the regular fees.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:48 pm

mpnret wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:42 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
mpnret wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

OP only has non-owned auto insurance. Routine maintenance should be very low or non-existent. I would be more worried about an un-expected repair on a used vehicle, ability to sell it without a loss, sales tax, and registration and associated costs in the OPs state. Your state looks like a good deal. Some states are very expensive.
The OP probably isn't interested in going to these lengths, but several states do not charge sales tax on cars: New Hampshire, Oregon, Delaware, Montana, and Alaska.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:39 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:48 pm
mpnret wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
mpnret wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

OP only has non-owned auto insurance. Routine maintenance should be very low or non-existent. I would be more worried about an un-expected repair on a used vehicle, ability to sell it without a loss, sales tax, and registration and associated costs in the OPs state. Your state looks like a good deal. Some states are very expensive.
The OP probably isn't interested in going to these lengths, but several states do not charge sales tax on cars: New Hampshire, Oregon, Delaware, Montana, and Alaska.
Not sure if this works if this works the same in every state but if I go to a state without sales tax and buy a car the sales tax gets paid when I register the car in my state. If so the OP would have to establish residencency in the no tax state for this to work.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:50 pm

mpnret wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:39 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:48 pm
mpnret wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
mpnret wrote:

Not sure if this works if this works the same in every state but if I go to a state without sales tax and buy a car the sales tax gets paid when I register the car in my state. If so the OP would have to establish residencency in the no tax state for this to work.
Yes, that is a consideration. Of course, if the OP already resides in one of these states, then it's a non-issue.

William Million

Post by William Million » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm

The cheap, owner-operated used car lots, not connected to dealerships, will sometimes guarantee to buy back a car for an agreed-upon price. Last time I did that, I bought for $10k and the owner agreed to buy back at $8k nine months later if I didn't drive too much.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:02 pm

William Million wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm
The cheap, owner-operated used car lots, not connected to dealerships, will sometimes guarantee to buy back a car for an agreed-upon price. Last time I did that, I bought for $10k and the owner agreed to buy back at $8k nine months later if I didn't drive too much.
Did that arrangement avoid sales tax, or was the sales tax on the original $10k refunded and you merely charged sales tax on the $2k difference?

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:13 pm

HockeyFan99 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Thanks for suggestions!
You might consider CarMax. Consider possibly actually buying a used (or certified used) vehicle, use it for the period needed then sell it back CarMax. I only suggest this because the buying and selling process is apparently extremely easy with them. Also (from the reviews I've read), the cars they sell are in pretty good shape. You're much less likely to buy a lemon from them. And who knows, in the time you have the car, you might actually find someone who wants to buy it from you, other than CarMax.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm

mpnret wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

The effort to sell can also be significant. I recently sold a car private party, and I estimate it took around 20 hours of work — washing and cleaning the car, taking pictures, writing and posting an ad, dealing with everyone (legitimate or not) who contacts you, then finally meeting people and jumping through whatever hoops they require (pre purchase inspection, meeting at bank, etc.).

If you sell to a dealer you will take a big haircut, possibly more than the cost of a 3 month rental. Check KBB for the difference in dealer price vs. trade in value. In my case I got $2100 more than the best trade in offer by selling privately.

William Million

Post by William Million » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:02 pm
William Million wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm
Did that arrangement avoid sales tax, or was the sales tax on the original $10k refunded and you merely charged sales tax on the $2k difference?
I had to eat 3.25 % sales tax. He resold at $10k within a month. Only works at the small non-Dealer car lots.

sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:30 am

Talk to relatives and ask if they have plans for a new/different vehicle in the near future. Perhaps they would accelerate the purchase so that you would have a car to drive.

And if they don't, perhaps one of their friends.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:53 am

sawdust60 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:30 am
Talk to relatives and ask if they have plans for a new/different vehicle in the near future. Perhaps they would accelerate the purchase so that you would have a car to drive.

And if they don't, perhaps one of their friends.
I will stay away from borrowing cars from relatives or friends to save a small amount of money. There are too many pitfalls involved with driving somebody else's car including known and unknown, easily identifiable or not, liabilities, damages, and all the other issues, especially for an extended period of time. One time, the engine of our car overheated while DW was driving, but she kept on driving until the engine stalled and was ruined completely. Fortunately it was our car. It was probably my fault to fail to maintain the cooling system properly. If it were some else's car, nobody would be happy to swallow the cost of a new engine. If the damage was limited to the cooling system, then it might be a different story. A new engine, many thousands of dollars? The biggest question is "who is at fault for what?" It is not worth the hassle.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:12 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.