Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bdrolan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bdrolan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 pm

My wife and I were planning on buying a Used 2018 Pacifica tomorrow for 30k but having second thoughts. Looking for some advice or pointers.

We can afford the van and the cost/down payment is not an issue. We have 6 month EF, saving 15% from all income streams toward retirement, and only have home loan and car payment as debt.The monthly payment will be about 2.3% of our gross income and our mortgage is only about 15% of our gross as well.well

We have a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder and a 2013 Nissan Rogue. Both run fine and no issues. We own the Rogue and only owe $5,500 on the Pathfinder and will be paid off in February. The Rogue will be traded in. The payment on Pathfinder is no problem either. We could payoff but savings account rate is higher than loan rate.

The Pacifica has all features that we want, plus a few extra with 17k miles. The price is good on it, not "amazing, holy crap go buy now," but good.

Our want for van is based on more room for our 3 1/2yr old and our new baby (well, 10 month old), plus van is just easier for trips and hauling kids vs other one above. The Roguenis depreciating fast at 76k miles also.


Comes down to:
Yes - van has all features we want, good deal, 6500-7500 for Rogue on trade-in, will add another loan until Feb when Pathfinder is paid off. When we travel, my mother-in-law goes often...and is super tight fit in both vehicles

No - dont need it now bc current vehicles are fine, Rogue trade-in will be quite a bit lower but we can save way more on down payment (currently 7500). Not sure what supply will be out there next year.
Last edited by bdrolan on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by 8foot7 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:21 pm

I vote no

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 6249
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:36 pm

Yes to minivan. If you will get one eventually, you might as well get one now.

Unsure as to Chrysler and the price. Those Pacificas sell for pretty cheap new, depending on the model, that may not be a great price.

JT

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8679
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Sounds like you have already decided. :D
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
bdrolan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bdrolan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:41 pm
Sounds like you have already decided. :D
j :D
Lol ....yes....but no

Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Flyer24 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Save money and leave the MIL at home. Win-win. 😁

Topic Author
bdrolan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bdrolan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Flyer24 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 pm
Save money and leave the MIL at home. Win-win. 😁


Believe me....I wish

strafe
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by strafe » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Yes. You can afford it and will be very glad you bought it.

As to the price, that depends on trim level. You can get a brand new Touring L for about the same price. A 1yr old used Pacifica was almost certainly a rental.

abonder
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by abonder » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Agree with posters who are overall pro minivan. But I wouldn’t rush into this deal. I agree that price may not be that good (depending upon model and condition). In general, the Pacifica takes a beating on depreciation and you can get really good deals on new models too. Take your time, do more research, realize that another deal is always around the corner and that you don’t need to worry too much about depreciation on the rogue.

Another used minivan option to consider is the Kia Sedona. It’s less good than the odyssey/Pacifica/sienna but it has good reliability per Consumer Reports and it takes a pretty big depreciation hit, making it a good used option.

Frugalbear
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Frugalbear » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:05 pm

I vote, no. Save more and buy a brand with a better reputation:
Honda
Toyota

Topic Author
bdrolan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bdrolan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 pm

strafe wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm
Yes. You can afford it and will be very glad you bought it.

As to the price, that depends on trim level. You can get a brand new Touring L for about the same price. A 1yr old used Pacifica was almost certainly a rental.
It has 16k and apparently traded in from a older couple who didnt need it. Still had plastic on some spots and other things still boxed up.

User avatar
MillennialFinance19
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:06 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by MillennialFinance19 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 pm

You can clearly justify the need. Buying a Pacifica, eh, that's another story. I'd shoot for Toyota or Honda. They dominate this space for a reason.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2849
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Stinky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Frugalbear wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:05 pm
I vote, no. Save more and buy a brand with a better reputation:
Honda
Toyota
I agree with both buying a minivan and staying away from Chrysler.

Buy a Honda or a Toyota. You won’t regret it. Save for another year or two if you need to.

OP, let us know what you decide.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

User avatar
Socrates
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Margaritaville

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Socrates » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I would kill myself if I had to buy a minivan....so NO!
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

z0r
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:50 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by z0r » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Frugalbear wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:05 pm
I vote, no. Save more and buy a brand with a better reputation:
Honda
Toyota
Honda has a poor reputation with the Odyssey: many in 2000s went through multiple transmissions before 100k, and the v6 had problems with cylinder deactivation and oil consumption. Their brand reputation, at least in this segment, is basically trashed.

krafty81
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:01 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by krafty81 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:29 pm

Yes on minivan...one of the best ideas ever for families. No on Chrysler - I went through that pain.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by wander » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:48 pm

That's a good reason to buy a minivan. When the kids grow up, you can switch to any car you want. I am biased and will buy Japanese van for reliability.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 18103
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Watty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 am

bdrolan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 pm
The price is good on it, not "amazing, holy crap go buy now," but good.
Wait for a great deal.
bdrolan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 pm
We can afford the van and the cost/down payment is not an issue. We have 6 month EF, saving 15% from all income streams toward retirement, and only have home loan and car payment as debt.The monthly payment will be about 2.3% of our gross income and our mortgage is only about 15% of our gross as well
Unless you have something else going on it should not take all that long to save up enough to pay cash for it.

chambers136
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:49 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by chambers136 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:38 am

Yes- you'll love the mini van. Chryslers are just fine, I've noticed no significant difference in reliability between Chryslers, Hondas and Toyotas my family has owned. Maybe luck. but that's my experience.

Frugalbear
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Frugalbear » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:46 am

z0r wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm
Frugalbear wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:05 pm
I vote, no. Save more and buy a brand with a better reputation:
Honda
Toyota
Honda has a poor reputation with the Odyssey: many in 2000s went through multiple transmissions before 100k, and the v6 had problems with cylinder deactivation and oil consumption. Their brand reputation, at least in this segment, is basically trashed.
Well, I can only go by experience. My 2007 Odyssey made it to 353,000 miles before I traded it in last year for my second one I have now which is a 2018..so far so good.

randomguy
Posts: 8531
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by randomguy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:05 am

chambers136 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:38 am
Yes- you'll love the mini van. Chryslers are just fine, I've noticed no significant difference in reliability between Chryslers, Hondas and Toyotas my family has owned. Maybe luck. but that's my experience.
My experience is the chrsylers are dying at 135k miles while the Toyotas/Honda's start dying at 200k. But I will not pretend to be a signficant sample size.

The real issue is 30k for a used Pacific remotely good? Unless it is some top level time, seems like your only saving a couple thousand and getting a year less usage. That's a wash. Through in the risk that it was traded in for having too many issues, I wouldn't touch it. Now if your getting some 45k msrp model, the discount might be worth it.

finite_difference
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by finite_difference » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:10 am

Socrates wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 pm
I would kill myself if I had to buy a minivan....so NO!
Minivans are awesome if you have kids. And once you have kids, killing yourself is no longer an option!

I would get the Pacifica IF it’s the hybrid. Otherwise go Honda/Toyota.

EDIT: I bought an Odyssey brand new for $30k. So $30k used for the non-hybrid Pacifica seems like not a great deal.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

fundseeker
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:02 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by fundseeker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 am

z0r wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm
Frugalbear wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:05 pm
I vote, no. Save more and buy a brand with a better reputation:
Honda
Toyota
Honda has a poor reputation with the Odyssey: many in 2000s went through multiple transmissions before 100k, and the v6 had problems with cylinder deactivation and oil consumption. Their brand reputation, at least in this segment, is basically trashed.

We had a 2004 Odyssey and traded after seven years and 100k plus miles, and no transmission problems! Bought a 2011 Odyssey and after more than eight years and 120k miles, it is running great. I'd buy another one but going with an SUV next time - a Honda Pilot.

You sound like a Toyota salesman I recently talked to, who lied and said Honda puts CVTs in all of their cars. Just making it up as he goes.

snowox
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by snowox » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:20 am

Stay away from Chrysler/Dodge. I agree with getting a Toyota or Honda. There is just no comparison and will last alot longer

randomguy
Posts: 8531
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by randomguy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:20 am

finite_difference wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:10 am
Socrates wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 pm
I would kill myself if I had to buy a minivan....so NO!
Minivans are awesome if you have kids. And once you have kids, killing yourself is no longer an option!

I would get the Pacifica IF it’s the hybrid. Otherwise go Honda/Toyota.

EDIT: I bought an Odyssey brand new for $30k. So $30k used for the non-hybrid Pacifica seems like not a great deal.
I would kill myself if my self worth was so tied up in a material good that I would kill myself over one. Can't imagine being so shallow😁

I agree 30k seems high but the top trims of these minivans are up around 45k so 30k might not be too bad. You really need to know what the new alternatives are for the features you want.

unstartable
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by unstartable » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:51 am

Buy the van that you like the most. The difference in reliability is overstated. For a family minivans are much better than SUVs in every way.

For a Pacifica, I agree with the above poster who said to look at the plug-in hybrid. Driving around town on electricity is pretty awesome. Only problem is it doesn't tow.

Topic Author
bdrolan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bdrolan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks everyone. It is fir a Touring L Plus with a number of extras.

Comparable new ones run for 7-9k more.

Chrysler has a 360 degree camera, which we want, while Honda and Toyota do not gave.

Ddd7651
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Ddd7651 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:59 am

Why not get a new hybrid pacifica for around the same price with tax credits for federal/state and 30 something all electric miles for more savings?

Silk McCue
Posts: 3861
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 am

bdrolan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:53 am
Thanks everyone. It is fir a Touring L Plus with a number of extras.

Comparable new ones run for 7-9k more.

Chrysler has a 360 degree camera, which we want, while Honda and Toyota do not gave.
Details that make a difference are best shared up front.

Buy it.

Cheers

Topic Author
bdrolan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bdrolan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:12 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 am
bdrolan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:53 am
Thanks everyone. It is fir a Touring L Plus with a number of extras.

Comparable new ones run for 7-9k more.

Chrysler has a 360 degree camera, which we want, while Honda and Toyota do not gave.
Details that make a difference are best shared up front.

Buy it.

Cheers
Didnt realize there would be such a response

Nissanzx1
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Nissanzx1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:24 am

Minivans are handy. Your current cars aren’t bad. Suits the needs of immediate family.

Personally if I can’t pay cash, the answer is always no. Especially if there was already another car with outstanding payments.

Just my $.02

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 10811
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am

No and why.

Yesterday, my son graduated from high school. My mom and FIL came with the 3 of us. So 5 total. Could we all fit in a Subaru Legacy? Sure. We took 2 cars. For one event in 12 years, it would be stupid to have a bigger vehicle.

In a similar way, your mother in law can go in another car.....perhaps your wife drives with her. Taking a second car now and then is certainly cheaper than going with a new car. The Rogue, although depreciated like a rock is near the end of it's depreciation curve. If you trade it in next year, it will be worth nearly the same. Year after, nearly the same. Depreciation is largely on the front end. You've paid that already. Buying an 18 with half the warranty gone would leave you with paying the big end of depreciation again.

C/N: save your money. Tell your MIL "We'll meet you there".
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

OldBallCoach
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by OldBallCoach » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 am

bdrolan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm
Flyer24 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 pm
Save money and leave the MIL at home. Win-win. 😁


Believe me....I wish
Be sure DW does not read this thread. Thats all I got...buy it, dont...if its safer yes...

TBillT
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by TBillT » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am

I have an earlier (2009 VW Routan) version ...very roomy.
Got mine during cash 4 clunkers so I did not pay as much. I guess it's my 4th Chrysler minivan.
It is a big vehicle....minivan being a misnomer these days. My wife used to love our prior minivans but she feels less car-like in this one perhaps due it is so big,
Last edited by TBillT on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ncbill
Posts: 621
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: Western NC

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by ncbill » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:31 am

If you buy the Pacifica also buy a OEM (Chrysler) extended warranty:

https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com

Because expected reliability is 26/100 or 1/5 according to Consumer Reports.

User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1465
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by LiveSimple » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:34 am

Get a minivan and enjoy as the kids grow in it. You will create more memories in the van that you can cherish 15+ years later.
Not all enjoyment is in controlling the $$$ spent.

Money you will earn, however the time, when the kids are young you cannot earn back, unless the grand kids comes into play.

I know a grandma, purchased a minivan with all kids features, just for the grand kids.

finfire
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by finfire » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:46 am

i'm in the same boat, err car :)

I would hold out until they are older. My kids both fit in our current, older cars. As soon as they get a bit taller/older, I'll trade in for a van....

User avatar
fire5soon
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by fire5soon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:50 am

I hope you're handy in the garage if you're buying a Dodge/Chrysler.

My spouse purchased a Dodge new and within the first 50k miles I had to replace a front wheel bearing, alternator, new transmission (under warranty), rewire a cigarette lighter plug that had a break in the power wire, replace the throttle position sensor, ambient air temp sensor, abs pump, and some other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. All within the first 50k miles. Around 70k miles I had to replace a CV axle. It was not a reliable car.

Luckily I was able to do all of this myself except for the transmission which was replaced free under warranty. If I had to pay a shop for all of this it would have been thousands. The ABS pump alone would have pushed $2k. (I got the parts off ebay used for $30 8-) )

After that car, and similar experiences from family members, I decided never to buy another Mopar vehicle again.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan

FrugalConservative
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by FrugalConservative » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 am

Get a minivan.

Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.

I wouldn't for a second buy a domestic minivan, especially a used one with tons of bells and whistles.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 6249
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:15 am

bdrolan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:53 am
Thanks everyone. It is fir a Touring L Plus with a number of extras.

Comparable new ones run for 7-9k more.

Chrysler has a 360 degree camera, which we want, while Honda and Toyota do not gave.
That was a very attractive feature for us, too. Ultimately went Honda and haven't once thought about the 360 degree camera since.

It seems a great idea in theory, but I doubt it's that useful in practice.

JT

Topic Author
bdrolan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bdrolan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 am

Well, we decided to back away. We dont need it, but would be nice.

Also, we usually never do anything big unless we are absolutely sure of it.....and we're still unsure

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:33 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am
No and why.

Yesterday, my son graduated from high school. My mom and FIL came with the 3 of us. So 5 total. Could we all fit in a Subaru Legacy? Sure. We took 2 cars. For one event in 12 years, it would be stupid to have a bigger vehicle.

In a similar way, your mother in law can go in another car.....perhaps your wife drives with her. Taking a second car now and then is certainly cheaper than going with a new car. The Rogue, although depreciated like a rock is near the end of it's depreciation curve. If you trade it in next year, it will be worth nearly the same. Year after, nearly the same. Depreciation is largely on the front end. You've paid that already. Buying an 18 with half the warranty gone would leave you with paying the big end of depreciation again.

C/N: save your money. Tell your MIL "We'll meet you there".
It's amazing to me what people will do to justify purchasing a larger vehicle than they need. Family of 4, children 7 and 4; we just got back Tuesday from 5 days of camping...in our VW jetta. Tent, camping chairs, 4 sleeping bags and pads, clothes for 5 days, food; it all fit perfectly fine in our compact car and it wasn't a squeeze at all. We do this multiple times a year. What exactly are 4-person families regularly driving around with that can't fit in a normal sedan? Not to mention, the OP has a Pathfinder, which isn't exactly lacking in the size/space for random stuff department. In the random occasion when you are actually taking extra people, is it that hard to have them drive their own car (though we have taken a 5th person in our car more times than we can count, including shoving a 3rd car seat back there)?

Sounds like OP can afford it (well, we don't know, but they say they can), but I just ask myself why? I am so glad that my wife isn't one of those moms who demands a minivan or SUV, simply because one day we might take the entire neighborhood on a trip. We can go on a lot of awesome vacations with the money we save by driving a regular-sized car. Now if you have a 3rd kid, yeah; the third kid is probably the tipping point.

Topic Author
bdrolan
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by bdrolan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 am

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:33 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am
No and why.

Yesterday, my son graduated from high school. My mom and FIL came with the 3 of us. So 5 total. Could we all fit in a Subaru Legacy? Sure. We took 2 cars. For one event in 12 years, it would be stupid to have a bigger vehicle.

In a similar way, your mother in law can go in another car.....perhaps your wife drives with her. Taking a second car now and then is certainly cheaper than going with a new car. The Rogue, although depreciated like a rock is near the end of it's depreciation curve. If you trade it in next year, it will be worth nearly the same. Year after, nearly the same. Depreciation is largely on the front end. You've paid that already. Buying an 18 with half the warranty gone would leave you with paying the big end of depreciation again.

C/N: save your money. Tell your MIL "We'll meet you there".
It's amazing to me what people will do to justify purchasing a larger vehicle than they need. Family of 4, children 7 and 4; we just got back Tuesday from 5 days of camping...in our VW jetta. Tent, camping chairs, 4 sleeping bags and pads, clothes for 5 days, food; it all fit perfectly fine in our compact car and it wasn't a squeeze at all. We do this multiple times a year. What exactly are 4-person families regularly driving around with that can't fit in a normal sedan? Not to mention, the OP has a Pathfinder, which isn't exactly lacking in the size/space for random stuff department. In the random occasion when you are actually taking extra people, is it that hard to have them drive their own car (though we have taken a 5th person in our car more times than we can count, including shoving a 3rd car seat back there)?

Sounds like OP can afford it (well, we don't know, but they say they can), but I just ask myself why? I am so glad that my wife isn't one of those moms who demands a minivan or SUV, simply because one day we might take the entire neighborhood on a trip. We can go on a lot of awesome vacations with the money we save by driving a regular-sized car. Now if you have a 3rd kid, yeah; the third kid is probably the tipping point.
Yes. We are planning on 3rd kid in a cpl years.

Thanks for the constructive post.

NxNW
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by NxNW » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:04 am

Yes. And don’t get hung up on the post to get a toyota or Honda. I have the sienna and would comment vaunted toyota reliability is questionable. My brother has the Pacifica and it’s nice.

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 am

bdrolan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:33 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am
No and why.

Yesterday, my son graduated from high school. My mom and FIL came with the 3 of us. So 5 total. Could we all fit in a Subaru Legacy? Sure. We took 2 cars. For one event in 12 years, it would be stupid to have a bigger vehicle.

In a similar way, your mother in law can go in another car.....perhaps your wife drives with her. Taking a second car now and then is certainly cheaper than going with a new car. The Rogue, although depreciated like a rock is near the end of it's depreciation curve. If you trade it in next year, it will be worth nearly the same. Year after, nearly the same. Depreciation is largely on the front end. You've paid that already. Buying an 18 with half the warranty gone would leave you with paying the big end of depreciation again.

C/N: save your money. Tell your MIL "We'll meet you there".
It's amazing to me what people will do to justify purchasing a larger vehicle than they need. Family of 4, children 7 and 4; we just got back Tuesday from 5 days of camping...in our VW jetta. Tent, camping chairs, 4 sleeping bags and pads, clothes for 5 days, food; it all fit perfectly fine in our compact car and it wasn't a squeeze at all. We do this multiple times a year. What exactly are 4-person families regularly driving around with that can't fit in a normal sedan? Not to mention, the OP has a Pathfinder, which isn't exactly lacking in the size/space for random stuff department. In the random occasion when you are actually taking extra people, is it that hard to have them drive their own car (though we have taken a 5th person in our car more times than we can count, including shoving a 3rd car seat back there)?

Sounds like OP can afford it (well, we don't know, but they say they can), but I just ask myself why? I am so glad that my wife isn't one of those moms who demands a minivan or SUV, simply because one day we might take the entire neighborhood on a trip. We can go on a lot of awesome vacations with the money we save by driving a regular-sized car. Now if you have a 3rd kid, yeah; the third kid is probably the tipping point.
Yes. We are planning on 3rd kid in a cpl years.

Thanks for the constructive post.
Then this shouldn't even be a question. Get the van, when the 3rd kid comes. Just doesn't make sense now.

jornsy
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by jornsy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:16 am

I bought a new 2000 Odyssey and sold it in 2006 with 140,000 miles to a friend. He kept it for many more years. I bought a 2006 Odyssey used from a friend with 19,000 miles in 2007. We now have 175,000 miles on it and it is still running strong with minimal repairs. We live in Illinois and it has been to Florida and back on five different family vacations. The rear entertainment system is a life saver when you have three kids and go on long trips.

We are a Honda family. 2014 Honda Accord EX-L, 2014 Honda Accord LX, 2013 Honda Accord LX, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L, 2008 Honda Civic EX and 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L.

Go Honda, go Honda!

TJ

Hulu
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Hulu » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:41 am

Third kids are unfortunately never guaranteed so I’d hold off until you need something. I have a Pacifica Hybrid and love it so far in year two. I would in retrospect buy a used 2017/2018 Kia Sorrento because it’s a simpler car, more reliable and I’ve heard Chrysler’s customer service is poor. It’s also half the price which is nice! Sliding doors are so convenient however seem to fail more quickly than most car parts.

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 am

Hulu wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:41 am
Third kids are unfortunately never guaranteed so I’d hold off until you need something. I have a Pacifica Hybrid and love it so far in year two. I would in retrospect buy a used 2017/2018 Kia Sorrento because it’s a simpler car, more reliable and I’ve heard Chrysler’s customer service is poor. It’s also half the price which is nice! Sliding doors are so convenient however seem to fail more quickly than most car parts.
Our next-door neighbors had a nightmare with a Pacifica, I think it was lemon-lawed. They picked up a used Kia Sedona and haven't had any issues. They have 5 kids.

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1271
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:48 am

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 am
bdrolan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:33 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am
No and why.

Yesterday, my son graduated from high school. My mom and FIL came with the 3 of us. So 5 total. Could we all fit in a Subaru Legacy? Sure. We took 2 cars. For one event in 12 years, it would be stupid to have a bigger vehicle.

In a similar way, your mother in law can go in another car.....perhaps your wife drives with her. Taking a second car now and then is certainly cheaper than going with a new car. The Rogue, although depreciated like a rock is near the end of it's depreciation curve. If you trade it in next year, it will be worth nearly the same. Year after, nearly the same. Depreciation is largely on the front end. You've paid that already. Buying an 18 with half the warranty gone would leave you with paying the big end of depreciation again.

C/N: save your money. Tell your MIL "We'll meet you there".
It's amazing to me what people will do to justify purchasing a larger vehicle than they need. Family of 4, children 7 and 4; we just got back Tuesday from 5 days of camping...in our VW jetta. Tent, camping chairs, 4 sleeping bags and pads, clothes for 5 days, food; it all fit perfectly fine in our compact car and it wasn't a squeeze at all. We do this multiple times a year. What exactly are 4-person families regularly driving around with that can't fit in a normal sedan? Not to mention, the OP has a Pathfinder, which isn't exactly lacking in the size/space for random stuff department. In the random occasion when you are actually taking extra people, is it that hard to have them drive their own car (though we have taken a 5th person in our car more times than we can count, including shoving a 3rd car seat back there)?

Sounds like OP can afford it (well, we don't know, but they say they can), but I just ask myself why? I am so glad that my wife isn't one of those moms who demands a minivan or SUV, simply because one day we might take the entire neighborhood on a trip. We can go on a lot of awesome vacations with the money we save by driving a regular-sized car. Now if you have a 3rd kid, yeah; the third kid is probably the tipping point.
Yes. We are planning on 3rd kid in a cpl years.

Thanks for the constructive post.
Then this shouldn't even be a question. Get the van, when the 3rd kid comes. Just doesn't make sense now.
+1

Once loans are paid off on current cars, keep banking the car payments (or even buy a Conservative LifeStrategy Fund!) and buy the minivan when #3 is a couple months away.

We've got three kids (4, 2, and brand new) and our minivan still wows me with how useful it is.

Also, get an Odyssey or Sienna. :beer
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Living Free
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Re: Buy Mini-Van Tomorrow or No?

Post by Living Free » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 am

I'd favor getting a cheaper mini-van and paying cash (benefit of paying cash is that you get to experience the full amount of pain of handing over that much money, which compels you to spend less money on cars). In my area I can find 2015-2016 odyssey or sienna for $17-18k pretty easily with sub 50k miles (often more like 40k miles). I also agree with waiting until you actually need the minivan (ie, when the 3rd kid arrives).

Post Reply