Fishing rod/reel combo recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tommy85

Fishing rod/reel combo recommendation

Post by tommy85 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 am

Hello bogleheads,

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good fishing rod for light fishing from shore. May be a spinner rod but looking for recommendation on a good brand/model that is cheaper and good value. I do understand they can get very pricey with brands like Penn. My budget is 50$.

Thanks
Tom
Last edited by tommy85 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andyrunner

Re: Fishing rod recommendation

Post by Andyrunner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am

My father-in-law was tired of buying his grandkids the cheap character poles that fell part. He ended up buying my youngest daughter this:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ze ... mnspncscom

It is probably the best pole we have.

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 am

tommy85 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 am
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good fishing rod for light fishing from shore. May be a spinner rod but looking for recommendation on a good brand/model that is cheaper and good value. I do understand they can get very pricey with brands like Penn. My budget is 50$.
Given the type of fishing your are doing and your price range, I would recommend buying a reel/rod combo, which won't cost much more than the rod alone.

I've had great luck with combos that include this reel, which you can often find on sale at Bass Pro Shops for $59.99.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger ... ml#start=1

Topic Author
tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:05 am

researcher wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 am
tommy85 wrote:
Given the type of fishing your are doing and your price range, I would recommend buying a reel/rod combo, which won't cost much more than the rod alone.

I've had great luck with combos that include this reel, which you can often find on sale at Bass Pro Shops for $59.99.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger ... ml#start=1
Thank you! I did mean rod/reel combo. Sorry didn't make it clear.

LivinGood

Post by LivinGood » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:22 am

Any Walmart will have a Shakespeare Ugly Stick rod/reel combo for around 40$. Indestructible rods. Buy a six pack with what's left over.

Broken Man 1999

Re: Fishing rod/reel combo recommendation

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:58 am

If you have a Bass Pro shop nearby, you could try out various rods and reels in their pond.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:11 am

tommy85 wrote:
Hello bogleheads,

Thanks
Tom
Is this saltwater or freshwater.
I would at a minimum recommend Pflueger President + ugly stick gx2. They would cost around $37 each ( I know president costs higher right now, but they sell it on walmart frequently at that price, and dicks will match it even if its walmart online price). Its a little above your price point, but its much better than struggling with poor rod and reel combo.

This is for freshwater though, I have no idea for saltwater.

Topic Author
tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:58 am
If you have a Bass Pro shop nearby, you could try out various rods and reels in their pond.

Broken Man 1999
Thank you! I will try them out.

Topic Author
tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:11 am
tommy85 wrote:
Hello bogleheads,

Thanks
Tom
Is this saltwater or freshwater.
I would at a minimum recommend Pflueger President + ugly stick gx2. They would cost around $37 each ( I know president costs higher right now, but they sell it on walmart frequently at that price, and dicks will match it even if its walmart online price). Its a little above your price point, but its much better than struggling with poor rod and reel combo.

This is for freshwater though, I have no idea for saltwater.
Thank you for your recommendation. I'm looking for salt water fishing.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 am

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-D-Wave-DWB ... th=1&psc=1

this is the 9 ft. the 7 ft is cheaper.

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:51 pm

LivinGood wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:22 am
Any Walmart will have a Shakespeare Ugly Stick rod/reel combo for around 40$. Indestructible rods. Buy a six pack with what's left over.
I second this. I bought a combo rod/reel on sale at Gander Mountain for about $80 two years ago when I retired and decided to try my hand at fishing. When I went to use it for the first time this year I discovered that the guides on the rod were falling apart with the inserts coming out (I didn't know anything about guides or inserts when I bought it, BTW, but I do now). I fish mostly in saltwater and always hosed it down after use but maybe I didn't do a good enough job.

Any way I kept the reel because it still works fine but bought the Ugly Stick to replace the rod (on Amazon though, not Walmart). They say it is virtually indestructible and the guides are stainless steel, one-piece with no inserts. Some reviews say that's not a good thing but it is to me if the rod lasts a long time.