Anyone buy Security Cams from Costco?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Anyone buy Security Cams from Costco?

Post by davebo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Thinking of buying a security system. Have considered the simple wifi ones (Wyze, Arlo, Nest), but probably need a fair amount of cameras to get good coverage and I have a fairly large ranch with a big footprint, also worried about wifi coverage.

Wondering if anyone has purchased a system like this from Costco or any other big box. I'm not really sure if the more expensive one would be worth the extra costs, but the Lorex looks decent and only $599. I think I could wire this fairly easy (or pay someone to do it) and probably be in for $800-$900. Just not sure of the quality of these units. Although, it seems like there isn't a perfect unit no matter where you look.

Any thoughts?

https://www.costco.com/AvertX-16-Channe ... 04322.html

https://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel ... 54149.html

dalbright

Re: Anyone buy Security Cams from Costco?

Post by dalbright » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Happy wyze user here if you decide you have any questions on them! I'm handy but decided trying to hide the cables or provide a power supply was going to be more work than it was worth.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:40 pm

OP,

I bought Arlo Pro system from Costco.

KlangFool

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:40 pm
OP,

KlangFool
Those require a power source correct?

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 pm

davebo wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 pm
KlangFool wrote:
OP,

KlangFool
Those require a power source correct?
No. The camera run on the rechargeable battery.

KlangFool

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:18 pm

We have a few Lorex systems one base system was from Costco and we added to it as time went by.
Upgrades that raise price include camera resolution, candlepower limits for nighttime use, storage of recorded video and audio.
Buying what you need as opposed to what they are selling is one key to being happy with the results.
So for example if you need one long range camera just buy that one separate and make sure it is compatible and the system can handle the total camera count.
All of our stuff is wired but we can view remotely on all of them. FWIW - video will not help with some security situations.
Very happy with all of them with the oldest installed about 10 years back now.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Add a google.mesh network to improve wifi coverage and then go with wyze. I have 6 cameras. 4 were online in the first hour due to convenient power sources. The other two took about 4 hours to get setup. If you have existing outdoor lighting, you can use USB light sockets to supply power with a light sensor bulb socket. Leave power to lights on 24 7 and you will get dusk to.dawn lighting (cheap w/LED) and full time camera.

Nyce Power LampCharger Light Bulb Socket Adapter, Light Socket USB Charging Station, Desk Lamp Adapter with Dual USB Charger Ports - Lamp Socket USB Port Tablet and iPhone Charger Adapter | 60W Max https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9SDD9M/re ... aDbW99DRF6

Dusk to Dawn Light Bulb LED Outdoor Light Bulbs Sensing Lighting Sensor Socket Photoelectric Switch for Lights Porch 5W (E26, 450lumen, Warm White, 2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LBK6XGW/re ... aDbHTJZKPJ

suemarkp

Post by suemarkp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 pm

I bought a QSEE system from Costco a few years ago. I'm not really happy with it. I checked the manual online before I bought to make sure it had the features I wanted. Turns out, the manual isn't correct (it actually covered multiple models but that isn't clear and nothing tells you which features are only in some models), and it doesn't have some of the features I wanted to make reviewing the recordings easier. Some features only work at the console, and other from the web interface.

The most annoying thing is that is was an 8 channel system that came with 4 IP cameras. When I play back all 4 at once, they can only play realtime so reviewing it takes a while. If I play back two cameras, each can play at 2X rate. The speed control goes to 8X, but you can't ever get that even with just one camera playing back.

Some weird chinese plug-in is required to access the DVR from the internet. This means I can't check it from work, as the chinese plug-in is a big no no. I also work in a shielded building so I can't use my cell phone. I never tried installing the app on the phone anyway to know if it is any good.

So overall I was disappointed. Next time I'll either buy a system with even more channels, perhaps add a faster hard drive, or maybe just get a professional one instead of a crappy chinese one.
Mark | Kent, WA

JTColton

Post by JTColton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:32 am

KlangFool wrote:
OP,

KlangFool
Bought the same, works well no issues. DW loves it.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 am

Wyze are ok but they only record for 10 or 15 seconds...then there is a "cool down" period...where it doesnt record for a couple minutes I believe. Or...you can stick an sd card in them and then they record 24x7. Not much help if someone steals the camera or memory card. This is the biggest flaw with those cameras. Id buy some of them if there was an option to record whenever motion happens...and record on site to a dvr or in my case, I use blue iris for my cameras.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:54 am

ponyboy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 am
Wyze are ok but they only record for 10 or 15 seconds...
Wyze cameras also support Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
Last edited by HoosierJim on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 am

I wouldn't want to be restricted to being near a power source, so that would seem to rule out Nest and Wyze. Arlo looks good, but will have to mess around with batteries...plus they sell 5 cameras for $1K at costco, whereas I could get 9 cameras at the same price that are POE. Only problem is seems that not that many people have experience with them.

I checked out the app reviews and Arlo has pretty decent reviews though, even better than Nest, which I've always considered to be the most user friendly.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 am

davebo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 am
I wouldn't want to be restricted to being near a power source, so that would seem to rule out Nest and Wyze. Arlo looks good, but will have to mess around with batteries...plus they sell 5 cameras for $1K at costco, whereas I could get 9 cameras at the same price that are POE. Only problem is seems that not that many people have experience with them.

I checked out the app reviews and Arlo has pretty decent reviews though, even better than Nest, which I've always considered to be the most user friendly.
davebo,

Why is that a good thing? Do you have a cheap POE switch?

KlangFool

WWV

Post by WWV » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 am

If your not opposed to building your own (custom) system-another source would be Monoprice:

https://www.monoprice.com/category/home ... oducts=103

I hven't used their equipment-but they have been selling this line for quite a while
"The average investor has only 11,000 more genes than a worm"-New York Times

Audioarc

Post by Audioarc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 am

I bought Ring from Costco. Cloud recording/no DVR required.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 am
davebo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 am

davebo,

Why is that a good thing? Do you have a cheap POE switch?

KlangFool
I have a switch already with some extra slots, so no further investment. Running ethernet seems much easier than figuring out a power source for each camera.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 pm

davebo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 pm
I have a switch already with some extra slots, so no further investment. Running ethernet seems much easier than figuring out a power source for each camera.
KF was asking if your switch was POE. That's a separate feature that is not on all or even most switches. Between the one Cisco (real Cisco, not Linksys) Router and 5 HP Enterprise switches I have in my house (62 ports total), I have a grand total of two POE ports.

suemarkp

Post by suemarkp » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 pm

The QSEE system I have with IP cameras is POE. I wanted to add 2 more cameras at an outbuilding, so I bought a cheap POE switch for out there. I much prefer powered -vs- battery. Also prefer wired -vs- wireless networking. POE solves both of those issues
Mark | Kent, WA

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:37 am

I'm planning to buy Ubiquiti Unifi POE security cameras. I upgraded my home network last summer to Ubiquiti get and really like their stuff.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:06 am

HoosierJim wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:54 am
ponyboy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 am
Wyze are ok but they only record for 10 or 15 seconds...
Wyze cameras also support Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
Well, Wyze’s official support is ... beta ... and on a separate branch from the regular firmware,

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/ar ... e-Cam-RTSP

I have three Wyze cams and love them for what they are and cost. I recently bought a Blink XT2 to experiment with for outdoor wireless/cordless use. Haven’t had time to set it up yet, though.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:58 am

I am not sure what other folks are utilizing their security cameras for.
When we reached out to our local PD and their support group about these cameras they recommended to go with wired cameras if at all possible.
That and many other tips on how to do the install, viewing options, and placement of hard recording devices.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 am

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:58 am
When we reached out to our local PD and their support group about these cameras they recommended to go with wired cameras if at all possible.
That and many other tips on how to do the install, viewing options, and placement of hard recording devices.
smitcat,

The problem with a wired camera without battery is

A) It does not work when you lose power.

B) You are limited as to where you can place the camera.

KlangFool

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 am
smitcat wrote:
smitcat,

KlangFool
I bought 2 REO Link 5MP cameras last year for my airbnb. I had planned to use POE and ran all my ethernet to the front and back porches. The POE switch I use has 8 ports...way more than I need.

I also chose the REO Link cameras because they store footage on SD cards locally....but I can use my mobile app or Mac software client to view live or recorded footage. I can then download the full resolution footage to my iPhone or Mac, if I needed it. The camera only records during motion...so it basically records about 1 week's worth of back footage.

The app has other nice features such as push notification when it detects motion. I use that when I have to meet airbnb guests and I'm in the house. I know they arrived.

I also set the cameras to do a hard reset weekly on Sunday afternoons.

In the 7+ months I have installed them, they never have gone down. The only issue I ever had was a spider web gets into the view and waves in the wind...which causes the camera to record. Simple dusting of the front of the camera and it's gone.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 pm

renue74 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 pm
KlangFool wrote:
smitcat wrote:
smitcat,

KlangFool
I bought 2 REO Link 5MP cameras last year for my airbnb. I had planned to use POE and ran all my ethernet to the front and back porches. The POE switch I use has 8 ports...way more than I need.

I also chose the REO Link cameras because they store footage on SD cards locally....but I can use my mobile app or Mac software client to view live or recorded footage. I can then download the full resolution footage to my iPhone or Mac, if I needed it. The camera only records during motion...so it basically records about 1 week's worth of back footage.
renue74,

I have the same capability in my Arlo Pro camera system. Except it is wireless.

Which POE switch do you have? How much it costs?

KlangFool

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:17 pm

I have 5 Nest exterior cameras installed at my house, they are outstanding cameras but require power, the benefit is they record 24x7 not just when they detect motion. I've also used Arlo Pro cameras they are very good but don't record unless they detect motion UNLESS they are connected to power. I've used them with the Arlo solar panel which works well to keep batteries charged, the cameras discharge down to ~ 94% charged in heavy motion areas and back up to 100% by end of day.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:34 pm

KlangFool wrote:
smitcat wrote:
smitcat,

KlangFool
As mentioned - this was a suggestion from a LEO that had his life experiences with security , break-ins and solutions to the same.
Cameras can be placed as necessary depending upon there resolution and quality.
When power outages occur the camera's would be a minor priority.
I would suggest that differing geographic areas will differ and that the advice of a local LEO might be a good start depending upon what you are utilizing these security cameras for.
FWIW - in our case the security cameras are one piece of an overall system that does not totally rely on cameras.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:43 pm

Another thing to consider is wifi coverage, a single wifi router is unlikely to provide strong enough through wall signal for a large house. My house is 3000 sqft and I use a 3 node Velop mesh wifi network, excellent in house signal but well insulated exterior walls drastically cut down wifi strength. If I were NOT using mesh I would not be able to use wifi cameras. You may also need to use a wifi extender if you have a particularly far camera, I put one on an exterior wall to push the signal through the wall most efficiently.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:09 pm

gpburdell wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:37 am
I'm planning to buy Ubiquiti Unifi POE security cameras. I upgraded my home network last summer to Ubiquiti get and really like their stuff.
+1 for Ubiquiti for the home. It's almost commercial grade but reasonably priced. My network is close to 6 years old, all Ubiquiti gear without an issue in that time. Great access points, too.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Any camera from Costco will be mediocre at best.

Visit http://www.ipcamtalk.com for better options.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:03 pm

I'd like to install abt six outside cameras to watch likely entry points, and also my cats creeping around outside.

But if these systems run on wifi, what happens if someone cuts your broadband cable?

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:08 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 pm
renue74 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
smitcat wrote:
smitcat,

KlangFool

renue74,

KlangFool
I think it’s a netgear poe switch. I know I paid about $75 for it on amazon.

I’ve been happy with the wired system so far. No downtime at all.

suemarkp

Post by suemarkp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:03 pm
But if these systems run on wifi, what happens if someone cuts your broadband cable?
Broadband is not needed if it stores things locally. You could watch it locally. Remote access from a different network location would not work.

That being said, your wifi could be jammed rendering it useless. Power fail too unless your router is on a ups or has it's own battery
Mark | Kent, WA

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:28 pm

renue74 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:08 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 pm
renue74 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
smitcat wrote:
smitcat,

KlangFool

renue74,

KlangFool
I think it’s a netgear poe switch. I know I paid about $75 for it on amazon.

I’ve been happy with the wired system so far. No downtime at all.
Thanks. I will look it up.

KlangFool

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Arlo Pro cameras store to the cloud and will also write to local storage. If someone is cutting your power or jamming wifi you have much larger problems than your cameras and keeping them online with local storage isn't going to help you. I'd actually prefer the video go to the cloud, it prevents them from stealing the local storage and destroying the video evidence. If you want to maximize reliability of wifi cameras you can put your wifi router / modem on a UPS and use cameras with battery or put the A/C outlets on UPS as well. It's reasonable to put the router / modem on UPS but I wouldn't worry about putting the outlets on UPS.

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 pm

KlangFool wrote:
OP,

KlangFool
Anyone mounted an Arlo Pro or similar to a vinyl siding without nails/screws/holes?

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:53 pm

The default magnetic mount does use a screw, you probably could improvise an adhesive mount rather than using a screw. Thread on adhesive mounting of Arlo cameras: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/What ... /td-p/7198

Depending on climate you can use 3M Commander tape, it isn't super good in hot climates.

The most secure mounts will involve screws.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Several posts have mentioned a standalone POE switch. However, some NVRs have POE built in, so cameras can be connected directly to the NVR using Ethernet cables (e.g. Cat 5e or cat 6). That way the cameras are powered by the Ethernet cable and batteries are not needed. Here is an example on YouTube (not an endorsement).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6KBoZrW0DAI

The system above does not need to be connected to the internet, but if you want to monitor it from your cell phone it would of course need to be connected to to internet.

Don't under estimate the number of cameras needed. The 4 camera system in the YouTube video may not be enough for many residential applications.

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 pm

WWV wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 am
If your not opposed to building your own (custom) system-another source would be Monoprice:

https://www.monoprice.com/category/home ... oducts=103

I hven't used their equipment-but they have been selling this line for quite a while
I dont have this but I've been happy with all the other products I've bought from them.

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 pm

I've been happy using my Synology NAS as an NVR with POE cameras.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:15 am

suemarkp wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 pm
montanagirl wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:03 pm
Broadband is not needed if it stores things locally. You could watch it locally. Remote access from a different network location would not work.

That being said, your wifi could be jammed rendering it useless. Power fail too unless your router is on a ups or has it's own battery
"That being said, your wifi could be jammed rendering it useless"
This is what the police say is the problem with wireless systems around here - not so much the jamming but they send a repeating signal to take them offline from their own source.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:07 am

GuyInFL wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 pm
I've been happy using my Synology NAS as an NVR with POE cameras.
Which PoE cameras are you using outside?

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Back to Arlo pro, any suggestion on cheap or better free ways of filtering car traffic on the street, bird singing? Would the Motion Detection Test under Device Utilities actually accomplish that?

I know Arlo has $4/mo/device service.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:30 pm
Any camera from Costco will be mediocre at best.

Visit http://www.ipcamtalk.com for better options.
I bought a bunch of cameras from Costco which were all OEM Hikvisions which are very well thought of on the site you link to as well other sites (at least were several years ago when I bought the Hikvisions). At the time (I don't think this is possible now) you could take the cameras and flash them over to the OEM Hikvision firmware. I flipped the DVRs to offset my cost and used BlueIris for monitoring. Like some others here I used POE. I got weather proof CAT5 that I was able to run out from the house so I could even have cameras pointing back at house. It honestly wasn't very hard but probably more work than most folks would prefer but I much prefer wired since I don't have to deal with batteries or wireless coverage/bandwidth issues.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:46 pm

mtmingus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:18 pm
Back to Arlo pro, any suggestion on cheap or better free ways of filtering car traffic on the street, bird singing? Would the Motion Detection Test under Device Utilities actually accomplish that?

mtmingus,

<<better free ways of filtering car traffic on the street, >>

Do not point your camera at the road and/or change your motion detection sensitivity.

<<bird singing? >>

Turn off sound detection.

<<Would the Motion Detection Test under Device Utilities actually accomplish that?>>

Change your motion detection sensitivity and then check whether your motion is detected.

<<I know Arlo has $4/mo/device service.>>

I do not see how it is necessary.

KlangFool

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:57 pm

MindBogler wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:09 pm
gpburdell wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:37 am
+1 for Ubiquiti for the home. It's almost commercial grade but reasonably priced. My network is close to 6 years old, all Ubiquiti gear without an issue in that time. Great access points, too.
I plan to go with Ubiquti as well. Can you post the details of your setup? I want to get the recording box.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:24 pm

smitcat wrote:
I assume this because WiFi is unreliable and easy to jam.

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:34 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:46 pm
mtmingus wrote:

mtmingus,

Do not point your camera at the road and/or change your motion detection sensitivity.

<<bird singing? >>

<<Would the Motion Detection Test under Device Utilities actually accomplish that?>>

Change your motion detection sensitivity and then check whether your motion is detected.

KlangFool
Thanks Klang!

I used the magnet mounts (from the original packages) for my Arlo Pro cameras on vinyl sidings but people could easily poke them off with a stick.
What method did you use?

Mtmingus

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:40 pm

+1 for Arlo.

I've had mine for about a year now.

Pluses:
No wires to run
Magnetic mount
Can be moved
Good quality
Free cloud storage

Minuses:
Doesn't always pick up motion
Sometimes wind and rain will set off motion, draining battery
Making cents out of every dollar.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:55 pm

mtmingus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:34 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:46 pm
mtmingus wrote:

mtmingus,

<<bird singing? >>

KlangFool
Thanks Klang!

I used the magnet mounts (from the original packages) for my Arlo Pro cameras on vinyl sidings but people could easily poke them off with a stick.
What method did you use?

Mtmingus
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arl ... mount.aspx

I use the outdoor mount of Arl Pro with the screw. I do not have vinyl sidings.

KlangFool

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Starfish wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:24 pm
smitcat wrote:
I assume this because WiFi is unreliable and easy to jam.
They said that jamming is not the most common problem - they are able to direct the cameras to go offline so that they do not communicate at all.
The point was that it was fairly simple to direct them offline rendering them useless - amongst other problems.