How to move with bags inside JFK (official) long term parking lot?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

How to move with bags inside JFK (official) long term parking lot?

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 pm

I am traveling internationally for 1 week with my wife. We will be driving to JFK and park the car there. After doing some research I decided to park at the official port authority JFK (terminal 9) long-term parking and take the AirTrain to terminal 4 where my flight departs. I only have one issue, the luggage. We will be moving with 3 or 4 bags and 2 carry-ons (Please don't ask why), so I am not sure if the parking lot is equipped with airport carts that I can use on the air train, or how else I can move the 5-6 bags to the terminal?
Anyone who is familiar with that specific long-term parking lot? I appreciate any experience

P.S: Although it could be more convenient, I crossed out the other third-party parking facilities since I don't like to leave my car keys behind to a stranger who can mess around with my car or get it involved with an accident.

Thanks!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

funeshah

Re: How to move with bags inside JFK (official) long term parking lot?

Post by funeshah » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm

What I normally do (since I travel with a kid as well) is drop off my wife / kid / luggage at the main terminal and then go to park the car.

Adds a few more minutes, but saves the hassle of trying to maneuver around the airport, with luggage/kids/etc. In theory, your wife can check in when you drop her off, and possibly hand over some luggage until you get there.

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm

+ to dropping off bags/kids/wife etc first.

Note that driving to Terminal 4, dropping the stuff off, then parking at long-term and taking the airtrain back to terminal 4 could take 30-60 minutes.

life in slices

Post by life in slices » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:10 pm

funeshah wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm
What I normally do (since I travel with a kid as well) is drop off my wife / kid / luggage at the main terminal and then go to park the car.

Adds a few more minutes, but saves the hassle of trying to maneuver around the airport, with luggage/kids/etc. In theory, your wife can check in when you drop her off, and possibly hand over some luggage until you get there.
I do the same - and bonus points if able to use a skycap service (worth the extra few dollars per bag to do so)

ETA: in my experience, even if you have your spouses ID with you, they need to be present to have their luggage checked in

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 pm
I am traveling internationally for 1 week with my wife. We will be driving to JFK and park the car there. After doing some research I decided to park at the official port authority JFK (terminal 9) long-term parking and take the AirTrain to terminal 4 where my flight departs. I only have one issue, the luggage. We will be moving with 3 or 4 bags and 2 carry-ons (Please don't ask why), so I am not sure if the parking lot is equipped with airport carts that I can use on the air train, or how else I can move the 5-6 bags to the terminal?
Anyone who is familiar with that specific long-term parking lot? I appreciate any experience

P.S: Although it could be more convenient, I crossed out the other third-party parking facilities since I don't like to leave my car keys behind to a stranger who can mess around with my car or get it involved with an accident.

Thanks!
My advice to you is to get over your fears of someone messing around with your car. We just got back from a few week trip and we left our car with Newark Long Term Parking, an off airport parking lot which we have used at least a half dozen times. They have a facility at JFK. They have been in business a long time and park hundreds of cars every day. If you don’t use their valet service, you can park your own car and get it when you return. They load your luggage in their van, drive you to your terminal, take the luggage out of the van and give it to you to wheel into the terminal. Upon return, they pick you up, load your luggage into their van, drive you to your car, unload your luggage, and they will even put your luggage into your car. It doesn’t get much easier.
We chose the valet service, so they parked the car for us and we paid an extra $50 to have them drive our car to the terminal upon our return and they loaded the luggage into our trunk. The worst thing that happened was that they moved the seat position. That took all of a few seconds to fix.

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:30 pm

eddot98 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm
BogleMelon wrote:

Thanks!
My advice to you is to get over your fears of someone messing around with your car. We just got back from a few week trip and we left our car with Newark Long Term Parking, an off airport parking lot which we have used at least a half dozen times. They have a facility at JFK. They have been in business a long time and park hundreds of cars every day. If you don’t use their valet service, you can park your own car and get it when you return. They load your luggage in their van, drive you to your terminal, take the luggage out of the van and give it to you to wheel into the terminal. Upon return, they pick you up, load your luggage into their van, drive you to your car, unload your luggage, and they will even put your luggage into your car. It doesn’t get much easier.
We chose the valet service, so they parked the car for us and we paid an extra $50 to have them drive our car to the terminal upon our return and they loaded the luggage into our trunk. The worst thing that happened was that they moved the seat position. That took all of a few seconds to fix.
My fear has reasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3unMo ... dex=2&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPOjx_kZ2Q

PS: the above company is one of the best rated and famous companies in JFK
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:17 pm

life in slices wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:10 pm
funeshah wrote:

I do the same - and bonus points if able to use a skycap service (worth the extra few dollars per bag to do so)

ETA: in my experience, even if you have your spouses ID with you, they need to be present to have their luggage checked in
Exactly. This is a problem that is solved with money. This is exactly what skycaps are for. Leave early, pull up to the skycaps, give them all your bags and check in, then go park the car. If you're willing to spend more, you'll discover "secret" parking lots at airports that are very close to the terminal but cost $50 or more a day.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:07 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:30 pm
eddot98 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm
BogleMelon wrote:

Thanks!
My fear has reasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3unMo ... dex=2&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPOjx_kZ2Q

PS: the above company is one of the best rated and famous companies in JFK
I could go out in my back yard and get hit by lightning, or I could walk on a sidewalk on Main Street and a car could jump the curb and hit me, or our car could get rear ended while waiting at a red traffic signal. All of these things have happened and probably will happen again, but that doesn’t stop me from going into my back yard, or walking on the sidewalk on Main Street, or stopping at a red traffic signal. If the kinds of things shown in the linked videos were everyday occurrences, I would see your point, but judging by our experiences, they are not.

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:21 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:17 pm
life in slices wrote:
funeshah wrote:

Exactly. This is a problem that is solved with money. This is exactly what skycaps are for. Leave early, pull up to the skycaps, give them all your bags and check in, then go park the car. If you're willing to spend more, you'll discover "secret" parking lots at airports that are very close to the terminal but cost $50 or more a day.
Can skycaps check in for any airline? My airline (international) is a foreign one, and doesn't have a curbside check-in option. Also, how would they be able to check my bags while I am not there?

cks

Post by cks » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:50 am

Another options available to you is to drop your wife and the luggage off at/ in front of the Air train terminal; park your car; find a cart from a kiosk; meet your wife at the air train terminal and get on your way.

There is an elevator at the air train terminal.

As another poster mentioned, trip from long term parking to your terminal will add a minimum of 30-40 minutes so plan accordingly.

Another tip: go to the port authority website- there are usually coupons that will save you $$ for long term parking that you can print out and present on your return

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:21 am
White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:17 pm
life in slices wrote:
funeshah wrote:

Can skycaps check in for any airline? My airline (international) is a foreign one, and doesn't have a curbside check-in option. Also, how would they be able to check my bags while I am not there?
Well, if they don't have curbside check in you can't, but if they do, then you stand there with the car running and check in, then go park the car.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course