Where to sit at Wrigley?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doug1022

Where to sit at Wrigley?

Post by doug1022 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Hello Bogleheads,

DW is planning a 4 day family trip to Chicago at the end of June. We are hoping to see a Cubs game at Wrigley. Any advice on where to sit in the park? There would be five of us - myself, wife and three boys (aged 11, 13, 15). Bleachers look like a lot of fun - but is it "family" friendly? We've seen many games at Fenway, as well one each at Mets, Toronto and Phili - all really fun and great family experiences. Hoping for one more!

Thanks

retiringwhen

Re: Where to sit at Wrigley?

Post by retiringwhen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Bleachers or nothing.... it has been years since I was at Wrigley, but I almost always went to the bleachers because it was a unique old time experience with local “color” to make it interesting. The characters that lived there were all fun and friendly if sometimes a bit strange.lots of crowd interaction. No isolated box seats there :D I saw Mike Schmidt’s last game there and we were able to talk to him easily from the bleachers. A highlight of my baseball watching career.

bowest

Post by bowest » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

I'd say few rows back in 100s on first-base side 125-128 (field box infield/outfield). You'll be close enough to the see the action, right in the heart of the crowd to take in the shared experience, the timeless majesty of the park and what's going on around you. And from Bogleheads perspective this is probably optimal sweet spot from ticket price-quality tradeoff perspective.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

This might be a personal preference but I always like to sit between first base and third base no matter how high up. Further into the outfield I find I get distracted. My games at Wrigley were in the grandstand off of first base.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Chicago guy here. Forget the bleachers with kids, it can be a zoo at times and if a day game, its sunny and hot, no back support its uncomfortable. Best for family are Secs 9-34 (if your budget allows), Sec 111-133 (117-124 are the sweetest behind home plate) and Sec 209-231 which is the 2nd level at 3rd base, home plate and first base. The first 2 rows are great and the views excellent. Sec 4, 6,7,8, 35,36,37 and 38 are good too.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:02 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 pm
Chicago guy here. Forget the bleachers with kids, it can be a zoo at times and if a day game, its sunny and hot, no back support its uncomfortable. Best for family are Secs 9-34 (if your budget allows), Sec 111-133 (117-124 are the sweetest behind home plate) and Sec 209-231 which is the 2nd level at 3rd base, home plate and first base. The first 2 rows are great and the views excellent. Sec 4, 6,7,8, 35,36,37 and 38 are good too.
Seconding this. No way I'd take kids into the bleachers.

Arthur Digby Sellers

Post by Arthur Digby Sellers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm

One key is to avoid obstructed views. There are lots and lots of seats at Wrigley where there will be a support column directly between your seat and the field. And there are also lots of seats under an overhang that prevents you from seeing anything hit in the air (and also makes it feel a little bit less like you are at an outdoor ballpark). My recommendation is to try to sit in sections 109-126, sections 209-226 (FIRST 9 ROWS ONLY), or 309-324. If you decide to sit in the 200 or 400 level you should definitely check out the attached link, which shows the location of every pole at Wrigley. I agree with others to avoid the bleachers. I disagree that they are not family friendly enough for kids aged 11+, but I think they are vastly overpriced based on their mystique. You can get much better seats for the same price or less.

https://www.rateyourseats.com/blog/chea ... avoid-them

Lake Living

Post by Lake Living » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Try to time your visit when the Cubs are out of town and go see a White Sox game. Better experience.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Lake Living wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm
Try to time your visit when the Cubs are out of town and go see a White Sox game. Better experience.
That depends on their goals as tourists. If they want to see a team fighting for first place in their division in a historic ballpark that will be jam-packed with people on a sunny afternoon, I would go to Wrigley.

If they want to see a sub .500 team in a run of the mill ballpark that will be 25% full on a sunny afternoon, I would go to Comiskey (or US Cellular, or Guaranteed Rate, or whatever it is this year.)

With all that said, Comiskey has a better food and beer selection, hands down.

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:12 pm

The bleachers are great for a bachelor/ette party weekend in a big beer garden that happens to have a baseball game going on in it.

For kids to actually be able to see the game, the section recommendations above are good. We occasionally get to sit in company seats in section 122, and it’s amazing how much more if the game I can see vs sitting in other parts of the park.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:59 am

With kids at those ages, I think the bleachers would be a fine spot to see a ball game. They are likely to hear some swear words and see people drinking quite a bit of beer, and see some 20-something women with bikini tops and short shorts. Whether you want to shield them from such debauchery or not is your parental call. Each of my kids grew up quite a bit in the Wrigley bleachers, and when they come back to Chicago to visit, they love to spend the afternoon together as a family in the bleachers. As for other locations, you will get great views in the field box (2-digit number seating), regular box (3 digit numbering), and upper deck box seats between 1st and 3d base. Prices will depend on the day or night you pick and the team the Cubs will be playing and beating.

camden

Post by camden » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:16 am

If you and your family are even close to being baseball fans, you will love it no matter where you sit. Relax and enjoy, as generations have done for a century or so.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 am

Would advise to keep your kids off their phones (and yourselves) - or don't waste the money. Saw a Sox v Washington game the other night - except for people behind the plate, about 1/4 of the people were staring at their phones. Try talking to the kids about the game strategy and stay in the moment. Wrigley is for the experience.

Many fans today are distracted in the dangerous areas along the right and left field lines outside the netting.