Toyota Sienna tire replacement at 12k miles

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chip

Re: Toyota Sienna tire replacement at 12k miles

Post by Chip » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 am
In the case of the AWD Sienna, it doesn't. I've thought about going to regular tires and getting a spare but the only place for one is to set it up on end in the trunk area and somehow strap it down so that it doesn't bang between the door and the seat back every time I accelerate or brake. Then there is the issue of every time I want to fold the seat down, I have to remove the tire and put it back in since the seats fold down into the cargo space.
That would make the decision to buy one much more difficult. I was fortunate in that the sedan I own has a well for the spare. I thought about going the full size route but it wasn't worth the hassle of buying the wheel, tire and jack separately for such a low probability of use.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:29 am

I got 20k out of my run flats.
They weigh more, have horrible handling characteristics, cost twice as much, and last half as long.

To me, the benefits are negated by these facts; I rarely get a flat, now carry a 5th wheel in case I do...all while reducing my curb weight, and significantly reducing then per axle weight.

Get normal tires and a spare instead.
a tie down strap works well, e.g.:
https://www.shipperssupplies.com/1-cust ... gLzL_D_BwE

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am

Chip wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 am
lthenderson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 am
In the case of the AWD Sienna, it doesn't. I've thought about going to regular tires and getting a spare but the only place for one is to set it up on end in the trunk area and somehow strap it down so that it doesn't bang between the door and the seat back every time I accelerate or brake. Then there is the issue of every time I want to fold the seat down, I have to remove the tire and put it back in since the seats fold down into the cargo space.
That would make the decision to buy one much more difficult. I was fortunate in that the sedan I own has a well for the spare. I thought about going the full size route but it wasn't worth the hassle of buying the wheel, tire and jack separately for such a low probability of use.
The 2018 Sienna has a crank down Spare under the passenger compartment. I don’t think that a full size spare will fit. Maybe watch the youtube?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 am

Is it really that big of a deal for your wife to be caught with a flat tire and have to wait maybe 2 hours at most for roadside assistance? Could you not keep a spare at home and come help her out in the event she has a flat? I know some areas are worse than others but I've had 1 flat in 16 years of driving. That can't be worth $350 a year of tire wear.

Topic Author
GuyFromGeorgia

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:45 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 am
Is it really that big of a deal for your wife to be caught with a flat tire and have to wait maybe 2 hours at most for roadside assistance? Could you not keep a spare at home and come help her out in the event she has a flat? I know some areas are worse than others but I've had 1 flat in 16 years of driving. That can't be worth $350 a year of tire wear.
I understand your line of thinking, but I'm fine with the cost and decision. 3 young kids (all under 6). I travel out of town for work a bit. We make/have plenty of money. I drive probably 8k miles a year and I average about 1 nail every 6 months. You do what works for you. For my family, I'm fine paying a little extra for convenience and peace of mind.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:53 am

The tire treads on our 2013 Camry were close to legal minimum at 30,000 miles of local driving, should have been better tires. We bought new Goodyear tires rated for 60,000 miles for this Camry.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 pm

likegarden wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:53 am
The tire treads on our 2013 Camry were close to legal minimum at 30,000 miles of local driving, should have been better tires. We bought new Goodyear tires rated for 60,000 miles for this Camry.
My 1998 Camry has two close to new Michelin Defenders on the rear, but the front ones are older Yokohama radials. There seems to be sufficient tread on the front ones for a while. I bought the car 3 1/2 years ago and have put about 18,000 miles on those tires. I plan to get two Michelin defenders when I replace those front Yokohama tires. Since this car is rarely (if ever) driven long distances and only about 4,000 - 5,000 miles a year - I think I will not replace them until it will fail inspection OR I see tire damage.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:47 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 pm
My 1998 Camry has two close to new Michelin Defenders on the rear, but the front ones are older Yokohama radials. There seems to be sufficient tread on the front ones for a while. I bought the car 3 1/2 years ago and have put about 18,000 miles on those tires. I plan to get two Michelin defenders when I replace those front Yokohama tires. Since this car is rarely (if ever) driven long distances and only about 4,000 - 5,000 miles a year - I think I will not replace them until it will fail inspection OR I see tire damage.
New tires should always go on the rear. When you replace the Yokohamas, move the existing Defenders to the front, and put the new ones in their place.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:47 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 pm
New tires should always go on the rear. When you replace the Yokohamas, move the existing Defenders to the front, and put the new ones in their place.
Yes. When the front Yokohama tires were worn out, my wife went to Costco and bought the two Defenders. Costco installed them on the rear and moved the back Yokohama tires to the front.

davewi

Post by davewi » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:13 pm

I've got a 2008 AWD Sienna. The run flat tires were a joke. They cost twice as much as regular tires, last only half as long, and don't work well in snow (which was the reason to get the AWD in the first place). After quickly wearing out a couple sets of run flats, I switched to regular tires and am much happier. I keep some fix a flat and a compressor in the car all the time, and have a full size spare to put in the car on long road trips.

I frequently travel long distances on snow covered roads in rural areas without phone reception, so can't count on AAA or Uber as a backup. The AWD Sienna does great in the snow. It's a big, heavy vehicle so even regular tires wear out before their guarantee.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:10 pm

hudson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am
The 2018 Sienna has a crank down Spare under the passenger compartment. I don’t think that a full size spare will fit. Maybe watch the youtube?
A Toyota Sienna without AWD has this. With AWD, you lose this ability in favor of another driveshaft. The OP and I both have AWD.

Storcher

Post by Storcher » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles are equipped with additional differentials and/or viscous couplings that are designed to allow momentary differences in wheel speeds when the vehicle turns a corner or temporarily spins a tire. However, if the differentials or viscous couplings are forced to operate 100% of the time because of mismatched tires, they will experience excessive heat and unwarranted wear until they fail.

"Using "matched" tires means all four tires are the same brand, design and tread depth. Mixing tire brands, tread designs and tread depths may cause components in the vehicle's driveline to fail."

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:06 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:10 pm
hudson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am
A Toyota Sienna without AWD has this. With AWD, you lose this ability in favor of another driveshaft. The OP and I both have AWD.
Thanks Ithenderson! So the AWD model no longer has the small-spare opening, or the lowering cable assembly. In other words, in an AWD model, if you wanted to carry a spare, it would have to be in back or somewhere creative.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 pm

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:45 am
barnaclebob wrote:
I understand your line of thinking, but I'm fine with the cost and decision. 3 young kids (all under 6). I travel out of town for work a bit. We make/have plenty of money. I drive probably 8k miles a year and I average about 1 nail every 6 months. You do what works for you. For my family, I'm fine paying a little extra for convenience and peace of mind.
What do you do about all the other possible ways that they can be stranded by the car that don’t involve his one particular unlikely tire scenario?

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:08 am

davewi wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:13 pm
After quickly wearing out a couple sets of run flats, I switched to regular tires and am much happier. I keep some fix a flat and a compressor in the car all the time, and have a full size spare to put in the car on long road trips.
+1
I know run flats have their use but peace of mind isn't one of them. Not for me. Even if they were not an added expense, I would not use them. They are an inconvenience to replace. Whereas a normal tire with a flat can usually be repaired, driving on run flats with low pressure will likely destroy the tire. Because there is less choice in run flats, you may have nowhere to go but to a dealer.

I have 3 small children and I would not want DW to have to find a dealership on a weekend where the service center may be closed. :oops: I'd much rather she call roadside assistance and be towed to any mechanic and with wider tire selection can have it repaired or replaced. And in the extreme case of no cell phone, then use the fix-a-flat.

The only specific situation where I can see an advantage to runflats are getting a flat where the fix-a-flat cannot repair and you absolutely must make it to your destination. Frankly, that is rare. I used to drive 60k miles a year. I've gotten my fair share of flats. They're almost always slow leaks caused by nails.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:53 am

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:45 am
barnaclebob wrote:
But, the performance of run-flat tires is worse. So you are actually paying more money to sacrifice safety, for convenience.

If you really wanted safety then you’d go with regular high quality tires.

That said, replacing the run-flats if they were worn down is definitely safer than keeping them with low tread.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Yes. We have sienna AWD and have replaced our run flats TWICE in the 5 years, both due to early wear. Original tires at ~15k miles! After market 'high end' run flats at ~25k. The aftermarket tires came with a 60k mile 'warranty'. Yes, they were rotated per vehicle specifications.

Now keep in mind the premature wear was verified by the 'dealer' and our neighbor, who is an independent mechanic. Both gave similar opinions that all the run flats are junk and will not last near the stated warranty on the tires and probably replace between 15-20k depending on driving conditions and style. Worse, in order to file a warranty claim on the tires the manufacturer requires the tires be in the 'danger zone' of the tread. Meaning, we'd have to be driving on icy and/or rainy roads with bad tires. Not worth it IMHO. So...i guess we're ponying up $$$$ every 20-25k miles for run flats on the AWD model. Maybe i've bought the scare tactic, but if my neighbor who has no vested interest says to replace the tires in November...i'm not going through a tough winter with potential hazards trying to save a few hundred bucks.

We looked into getting standard tires, but the dealer and major tire chains will not put them on, as this 'inappropriate equipment for the vehicle'. We were told to get standard tires we'd need to buy and find someone to mount them ourselves.

Unsure if this is a load of nonsense or really the case.

Hope this helps.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:33 pm

SleepKing wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:25 pm

We looked into getting standard tires, but the dealer and major tire chains will not put them on, as this 'inappropriate equipment for the vehicle'. We were told to get standard tires we'd need to buy and find someone to mount them ourselves.

Unsure if this is a load of nonsense or really the case.

Hope this helps.
How many "major tire chains" did you really ask?

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Sleepking,
How could an AWD Sienna be that different from a front wheel drive Sienna....as far as the tires go?

I have never bought a tire from a major chain. I just buy at my local tire store. My tire store serves the customer; they don't have all of the "rules" that many major tire dealers live by.

Is there a Toyota/Sienna discussion group? https://www.siennachat.com/threads/woul ... sue.13058/

Where would you put the spare? My AWD Sienna has one of those small spares. Someone earlier in the discussion said that the "hole" underneath the front wheel drive Sienna for the spare isn't there in the AWD Sienna.

(I'm going to throw a piece of cardboard in my truck; the next time I go by a Toyota dealer, I'm going to crawl under an AWD Sienna and see that the "hole" for the spare is not there.)

I went to the Michelin Website and searched for tires for a 2018 Sienna AWD...results follow: https://www.michelinman.com/find?search ... Code=30331
Last edited by hudson on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:10 pm

You paid $1200 for four tires for a crappy minivan? :confused :confused :confused Dude, there are some things you use the dealer for, and some that you don’t. Tires would be in the latter category.

I didn’t read the thread.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:10 pm
You paid $1200 for four tires for a crappy minivan? :confused :confused :confused Dude, there are some things you use the dealer for, and some that you don’t. Tires would be in the latter category.

If you had read the entire thread you would have found that the general conclusion was that the amount paid was reasonable.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:26 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm
j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:10 pm

If you had read the entire thread you would have found that the general conclusion was that the amount paid was reasonable.
I don’t need to read the thread to understand that ~$1100 for tires that last 20k miles is a complete ripoff.

Bogleheads, myself included, are overly conservative on a lot of topics, especially autos. In this case, far too conservative.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 pm
You don't need run flats. And don't use fix a flat unless you want a mess inside your tire and on your rims.

I would get a AAA membership and/or use Uber. Cars stop running for all sorts of reasons that run flats won't help with.

JT
+1

Do you live in the middle of nowhere? Does your wife have a cell phone?