Cost of mini split installation? [Ductless Air Conditioning/ Heat]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bostondan

Cost of mini split installation? [Ductless Air Conditioning/ Heat]

Post by bostondan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:47 pm

We recently purchased a 2800 sq foot duplex condo in a HCOL area. It is fairly updated, with very recent kitchen/bathrooms/etc, but was not fitted with central air when it was gut renovated most recently about 20 years ago. We cannot do duct work without gut renovation and it would be a waste of money to do that given that the place is fairly nice otherwise.

We plan to use Samsung "wind-free" mini splits to provide AC/heat (with hot water baseboard backup). Our HVAC guy has proposed to install 7 total units. There would be 6 ceiling cassette units (two bedrooms, living room, kitchen/dining room, exercise room, office) that integrate nicely into the ceiling and don't look too bad compared to the wall units (which I don't mind, but DW doesn't like them). The two downstairs bedrooms would have a concealed ducted unit sharing one zone.

We have been given a quote of about $43k for this installation. I do trust this HVAC professional, but was wondering if any Bogleheads members had experience with these types of installations and if the general cost has been similar.

I'm leaning towards accepting the bid and moving forward, since it is not my goal to penny pinch. I just trust the Bogleheads community so figured I would ask in case there were any helpful comments.

Thanks!
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

GuySmiley

Re: Cost of mini split installation?

Post by GuySmiley » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:57 pm

I've had mini-split installations on two homes. Work done in 2011 and 2015. LG but let's say that doesn't matter. Pardon my imprecise terminology below.

Each system is an outdoor unit and either one or two "heads" (indoor wall units). $6000 for a one-head system, and $7500 for a two-head system. I don't know what a ceiling unit is, but assuming it's a similar deal, your cost is inline with mine if you are getting a bunch of one-head systems. You might want to find out how many outdoor units (blowers?) are supporting these 7. I assume at least 4 if I was told correctly there is a max 2:1 ratio. I don't really know the pros/cons of sharing an outdoor unit outside of cost.

Good luck! I consider these units to have added much usable square footage to my home, since my home office would be intolerable during the summer without the extra cooling.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm

The pricing sounds absurd.

I had two separate regular HVAC systems and duct installed for $25k.

I mini split is usually cheaper.

TeeDee

Post by TeeDee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:28 pm

In my area price is not more then 3K max per unit. So this price sounds absurd

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:34 pm

My name is Dan, i live outside of Boston, and i'm currently shopping for AC installation... :sharebeer

We live a couple towns north in a 100yr old colonial. We just got a quote for $30k for a central air install including routing ducts to the downstairs through upstairs closets. We're awaiting a second quote.

Ours might be an easier case than the condo and all of those minisplits. How many floors is it? In fact, the contractor said don't even bother with thinking about minisplits for our whole house as it would cost more. So *maybe* $40k is inline? Labor is not cheap in this area. We're paying $13k to have our house painted as we speak. :oops:

Retirednomad

Post by Retirednomad » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes, your costs seem quite high. We have a 3 head all separate zones pulled off one outside unit for about $9k. We did this about 4 years ago and love it. Might want to check your local Costco because we did and got a 10% gift card to match so yep, about $900 gift card so it brought the actual cost of our unit to $8,100. I don't know if they are still doing the Costco pricing though.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Not apples to apples, but I had 1 mini-split installed for $1,500.

Topic Author
bostondan

Post by bostondan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 pm

It's interesting how wide the range of prices can be for these installations. I think ours will probably be more on the complex side because we're doing 7 heads, which can run off a single outdoor unit, so I assume it is a slightly higher end system. It's also the newest Samsung wind-free model, which I can see is priced around $4k+ per head even for the lower BTU heads. Also, we are asking him to go to great lengths to hide all piping and heads to make it as seamless appearing as possible.

It seems like it is worth getting another HVAC person to give me a bid.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 pm

bostondan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 pm
It seems like it is worth getting another HVAC person to give me a bid.
Another bid (or two) makes sense for this or any other large home project.

You might ask if pricing is lower if work is done off-peak (fall or winter).

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:19 pm

You should definitely get multiple quotes. Maybe as many as 5. Consider taking the 2nd lowest bid.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35 am

Does each of those split units pull power from the associated room with that install? Would be a large per room drain of power if so. It would seem that although messy at install, drywall is cheap to fix compared to the complexity that this system would add along with future repair costs for a multi-system design.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 am

We had five single Mitsubishi mini split units installed 2 years ago for about $17,500 ($3,500 each). That price included a fair amount of electrical work with a new box and wiring. Plus, two units in the front of the house have the exterior modules outside the back of the house and that required a significant amount of wiring and piping under the crawl space.

I know it can be done more cheaply but you get what you pay for. A few people have told me that they have them and they don't work. Some leak inside. Others stopped working after a few seasons, and in one friend's house they never worked right due to faulty installation. Ours work really well for both cooling and heating. This past winter we had a few days of sub-zero temperatures and the mini splits provided all the required heat.

UpstateNY86

Post by UpstateNY86 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 am

I would *always* recommend getting a quote for Mitsubishi equipment. With the amount of money you plan on spending, its wise you deal with a reputable manufacturer. Mitsubishi is in a class of their own when it comes to tech support, which is vital. These are complex machines, and a lot of service techs will get stumped dealing with them.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:29 am

I volunteer in my locale (cold weather, similar to Boston) with the local extension program to help people make good energy choices. I have focused on mini-splits the past year and while no expert have gleaned some essentials.

1) Many installers lack experience in sizing and installing systems. This inevitably leads to unhappy consumers.

2) Price for comprable systems varies greatly among installers as they are learning as they go.

3) In cold climates, there is something of a conflict between cooling requirements and heating requirements. In most systems, if you size for maximum winter heating you will be oversized for summer cooling, cooling is way more efficient/effective. The result is that in the summer you will be cool AND wet, the system cools well but shuts off before it has fully dehumidified. There are some newer approaches that eliminate this factor. The fact that you have a good backup may allow you to forego heating once it reaches 15 degrees or so and you can then size accordingly.

4) If eligible, you want to select a unit from the approved list for rebates from MA:

https://www.masscec.com/eligible-air-source-heat-pumps

Here is a discussion that might have relevance for you:

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/qu ... ump-sizing
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 am

My neighbor just paid $12,500 for a single outdoor unit and 5 heads.

UpstateNY86

Post by UpstateNY86 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:31 am

I imagine the extensive price has to do with hiding all the accessories, and having the heads be in the ceiling. You can have top shelf ductless units cool 2800 square feet for 15K. The parts are all hidden except for the unit mounted on the wall. This is unacceptable to you guys? My wife didn’t like it at first, but she doesn’t mind now.

jwasilko

Post by jwasilko » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am

Hi Dan:

We're sort of in the same boat as one of our AC units is leaking (at the air handler coil) and we're looking at replacing both the 1st floor and 2nd floor system.

We've got quotes for Mitsubishi, and have a friend that works for them that suggested we talk to NETR in Andover ( https://www.netrinc.com/ ). If they're close to you, they might be worth getting a competitive quote. They only do mini-splits, and have worked really hard to optimize labor costs.

-j

jwasilko

Post by jwasilko » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am

Also, https://hvac-talk.com is a good resource, though you can't talk about pricing there.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:58 am

Mitsubishi is generally considered the best quality manufacturer of these systems. While wind-free sounds nice I would also get a quotation from a reputable Mitsubishi dealer in your area.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 am

Agreed on considering Mitsubishi. I'm not an expert, but that's the name i often hear recommended. And absofreakinglutely get more quotes.

Topic Author
bostondan

Post by bostondan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts on this topic. I'll look through it more closely and reach out for other quotes.

Topic Author
bostondan

Post by bostondan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm

jwasilko wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am
Hi Dan:

We're sort of in the same boat as one of our AC units is leaking (at the air handler coil) and we're looking at replacing both the 1st floor and 2nd floor system.

We've got quotes for Mitsubishi, and have a friend that works for them that suggested we talk to NETR in Andover ( https://www.netrinc.com/ ). If they're close to you, they might be worth getting a competitive quote. They only do mini-splits, and have worked really hard to optimize labor costs.

-j
I just called that place. I was impressed by how friendly and knowledgeable everybody seemed on the initial phone call. Someone from NETR is coming to our place tomorrow to give a quote. Thank you for the recommendation.

dowse

Post by dowse » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:24 pm

We just had a system installed about 6 weeks ago. Four zones with indoor wall units on one outdoor condenser. Total price about $12,500. Your quote seems out of line to me. I would definitely get more quotes. I think these systems roughly scale with the number of zones, so figure a little more then $3K per zone. I think 7 zones may require two condensers, so that may increase it some, but I would be skeptical of anything more than $25K. Our equipment is Mitsubishi. I learned a lot from www.ecomfort.com.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:41 am

43K sounds awfully high to me. So I read some about mini-splits.

I read that (1) they are not as ugly as they used to be (2) they cost more to install than conventional systems and (3) supposedly they are more energy-efficient.

A while ago I installed a high-velocity AC system that uses much smaller ducts that are considerably easier to install. I don't know if they still do that sort of thing. I was very satisfied with the system- and although it was many years ago it did cost a lot less than 43K and was installed in an old house with little disruption.

UpstateNY86

Post by UpstateNY86 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:08 am

That’s called a Unico system. Believe it or not those are generally more $$ than a mini split.

sortimat

Post by sortimat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:36 am

I went the Mitsubishi Mr Slim route back in 2016, 42k BTU outdoor unit. branch box, and 5 inside units. Total was $16k before MassCEC rebates. This included a relatively complicated install involving routing everything across a garage and through my attic.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:40 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (HVAC).

sortimat, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

looking

Post by looking » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:43 am

bostondan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:47 pm
We recently purchased a 2800 sq foot duplex condo in a HCOL area. It is fairly updated, with very recent kitchen/bathrooms/etc, but was not fitted with central air when it was gut renovated most recently about 20 years ago. We cannot do duct work without gut renovation and it would be a waste of money to do that given that the place is fairly nice otherwise.

We plan to use Samsung "wind-free" mini splits to provide AC/heat (with hot water baseboard backup). Our HVAC guy has proposed to install 7 total units. There would be 6 ceiling cassette units (two bedrooms, living room, kitchen/dining room, exercise room, office) that integrate nicely into the ceiling and don't look too bad compared to the wall units (which I don't mind, but DW doesn't like them). The two downstairs bedrooms would have a concealed ducted unit sharing one zone.

We have been given a quote of about $43k for this installation. I do trust this HVAC professional, but was wondering if any Bogleheads members had experience with these types of installations and if the general cost has been similar.

I'm leaning towards accepting the bid and moving forward, since it is not my goal to penny pinch. I just trust the Bogleheads community so figured I would ask in case there were any helpful comments.

Thanks!
I have has been thinking to install, where I can find a reliable installer ???

Topic Author
bostondan

Post by bostondan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:16 pm

bostondan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm
jwasilko wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am
Hi Dan:

-j
I just called that place. I was impressed by how friendly and knowledgeable everybody seemed on the initial phone call. Someone from NETR is coming to our place tomorrow to give a quote. Thank you for the recommendation.
Well, they were a no-show for the appointment today. I may be naive, but I believed him that it was an accident (he didn't write it down or something) and not usual behavior. They have good reviews online, most of which say that they are prompt (including this specific person who didn't show up). I'm going to meet him on Monday. Hopefully it goes better.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:35 pm

I suspect you’ll find hidden ceiling units cost more than wall mount units. I’d get at least 3 estimates. You might decide wall units are ok. Some spaces are well suited to mini split duct. We like our split system. One outside unit. Five inside zones. Cost about 12k. Every space is different. If yours isn’t t well suited will cost more

Topic Author
bostondan

Post by bostondan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 pm

We're starting to be convinced that wall-mounted units might be fine, though would prefer a more hidden system.

Our second bid from the company recommended above came in at $44k, so about the same as the first quote we got. This would be for a Mitsubishi Hyperheat system that can provide efficient heat when it is as low as -13F outside. The slightly cheaper non-hyperheat system ends up costing the same amount after accounting for energy rebates on the hyperheat system.

Now I guess it comes down to whether we want to use Samsung or Mitsubishi. People keep saying Mitsubishi is the best, but I can't find the objective evidence to back that up. The Samsung mini splits look a bit more modern. I think the Mitsubishi has a slightly longer warranty (10 vs 12 years).

Alf 101

Re: Cost of mini split installation? [Ductless Air Conditioning/ Heat]

Post by Alf 101 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 am

This is an interesting question. Last year we went through the process of having a mini-split system installed, so I thought I'd share our process:

1. Mini-split units are common elsewhere in the world, and while growing in popularity, in most cases still not a standard HVAC service in the USA. We began by contacting licensed Fujitsu and Mitsubishi installers; both have some certification (e.g., "Diamond Contractor") that lends some confidence, and an attractive warranty. Samsung may have something similar. Ultimately the brand wasn't what made us choose the bid we did.

2. Many mini-split installers are very busy in the summer, working larger projects for commercial properties. We didn't go in saying we wanted to install a mini-split system now, but that we were curious about the technology and the fit for us, and whether the numbers worked. We were pretty clear about being in no rush, and likely got a better deal with a November install.

3. We got seven quotes. These certainly varied in price, but also the strategy for where to install the units and subsequent air flow. If you lived in a barn, one big open space, this is fairly straightforward. But with different rooms, upstairs and downstairs, and specific layouts -- different HVAC specialists may have different strategies. Armed with just the simple knowledge that hot air rises, some quotes may better pass the sniff test than others.

Specifically, I might question whether it can be done with less than seven units. We have a 2200 sq. ft. two story house, and installed two wall units; though we sized the condenser so to allow us to add a 3rd wall unit later, if deemed necessary. If you were operating a hotel, I could see having a unit in every room. I don't know the specifics of your case, but it's something to consider for cost reduction. Also the wall units do not look bad at all -- this was part of each contractor's proposal, how to minimize the visual impact.

I would also do the math on the "Hyperheat" system. There will be a point, with temperatures low enough, and the draw on the system high enough, that the electricity cost will exceed the cost of your current heating system (e.g., natural gas, oil, propane). The mini-split heating system will come at a premium, so I would want to study the ROI. I don't have to be the world's greatest detective to deduce you may live in the Boston area; if so, it might work, as the winter temperatures are more modest than I would have thought:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/b ... s/usma0046

Ultimately our biggest determinants for the bid we selected were cost, proposed plan/strategy, and our sense of the professionalism of the contractor.

jwasilko

Post by jwasilko » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 am

bostondan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Now I guess it comes down to whether we want to use Samsung or Mitsubishi. People keep saying Mitsubishi is the best, but I can't find the objective evidence to back that up. The Samsung mini splits look a bit more modern. I think the Mitsubishi has a slightly longer warranty (10 vs 12 years).
Dan:

I've got a friend that works at Mitsubishi and he told me about rebates via Renewable Energy Credits for Air Source Heat Pumps. The credits are minted in advance (10 years) and paid out. The program is a bit complicated, but there are people in Mitsubishi that know it well. It'd be good to check with your installer about it.

Some details:

Heat Pump alternative energy credit program:
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/20 ... 030518.pdf
https://www.mass.gov/guides/aps-renewab ... pplication

Some info on the program/application:

https://hcg-ma.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -FINAL.pdf

robphoto

Post by robphoto » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 am

As far as which brand, I would go with the brand the chosen installer favors-- they have the most expertise with the quirks of the particular system, and won't blame issues on not using the system they like. We have a Mitsubishi mini-split (wall-mounted, about 3,000 installed) but another of the people who quoted the job favored Fujitsu.

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 am

We installed Mitsubishi in Nov, 2018- 5 wall units and 2 heat pumps for a total of $17k.
Mitsubishi is generally regarded as the best mini split manufacturer.
We received 4 quotes- they ranged widely and some higher ones were not 'Diamond installers' - the Mitsubishi moniker that grants an extra year to the warranty, as I recall.
There is a newly upgraded phone app called "Kumo" which works very well, allowing remote control of all the units from one device.

Your cost will be higher than ours because the ceiling units are considerably more expensive to install. Being newer, the ceiling units also cost more for the units themselves.

Good luck.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am

Usually when people come on here and claim that some contractor price is "too high" without any justification I tell them to get some comparison quotes first before making a determination..... but I agree 43k sounds pretty insane. Do they really need 7 units?

Beyond getting some competitive quotes, have you also thought about getting a quote for a high velocity system? Those have no indoor wall units and the ducts can be snaked though existing walls like pulling pipe.

Good luck.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 pm

teamDE wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:34 pm
My name is Dan, i live outside of Boston, and i'm currently shopping for AC installation... :sharebeer

We live a couple towns north in a 100yr old colonial. We just got a quote for $30k for a central air install including routing ducts to the downstairs through upstairs closets. We're awaiting a second quote.

Ours might be an easier case than the condo and all of those minisplits. How many floors is it? In fact, the contractor said don't even bother with thinking about minisplits for our whole house as it would cost more. So *maybe* $40k is inline? Labor is not cheap in this area. We're paying $13k to have our house painted as we speak. :oops:
Couple of years ago I got 10 quotes for HVAC replacement. They ranged from $5k to $26k :shock:
They were not all apples to apples, but I learnt a lot in the process.