Luxembourg--worth visiting?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Roothy

Luxembourg--worth visiting?

Post by Roothy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:08 pm

I have a very first world problem. I have been invited to visit Luxembourg on somewhat of a junket. But the trip would have to be short--like five days (including travel time). I live in the Midwest.

When I was younger, the reason to go would have been to say I'd gone. Now, given how exhausting such a short trip would be, I feel like I need more. What do you guys think--is Luxembourg worth a short visit?

aude

Re: Luxembourg--worth visiting?

Post by aude » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Yes! It’s a great mix of languages and cultures. Nice hiking in Mullerthal. Great castles like Vianden. I’d go based on your limited information.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:26 pm

I visited 20 years ago and have fond memories of Luxembourg. I would not pass up an easy opportunity to visit. I was only there for a day, while passing through from France to Germany.

Rams2go

Post by Rams2go » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Beautiful city and countryside. You could also visit the American Cemetery in Luxembourg.

https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memoria ... n-cemetery

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:31 pm

I've been there on 2 different day trips. I enjoyed it. It really depends on your interets (WWII, churches, hiking, ...). There are many things close by if you run out of things to do in Luxembourg.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Taking a personal vacation to Europe for a total time of 5 days is crazy.

If a business trip that's paid for...why not?

Either way try very hard to find a way to extend the trip, and look for an interesting city to visit within train distance.

Odds are you would be flying into another place anyway.

jminv

Post by jminv » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Roothy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:08 pm
I have a very first world problem. I have been invited to visit Luxembourg on somewhat of a junket. But the trip would have to be short--like five days (including travel time). I live in the Midwest.

When I was younger, the reason to go would have been to say I'd gone. Now, given how exhausting such a short trip would be, I feel like I need more. What do you guys think--is Luxembourg worth a short visit?
Luxembourg is nice and five days is sufficient. Enjoy the trip.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Only been there once. Very nice, affluent place to visit. We stopped by the American military cemetery there where General Patton is buried. Here's a link on that one: https://luxtimes.lu/archives/3091-gener ... ly-lost-it

Cody6136

Post by Cody6136 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:29 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm
Taking a personal vacation to Europe for a total time of 5 days is crazy.

Says who? I went from Montana to Italy and had a wonderful time. I don't have much time off from my job and have family obligations and I studied Italian for two years before my trip. I don't regret a single thing. Sure, I wish I had more time to spend, but I squeezed every drop out of that vacation. Not crazy in my book.

Re: Midwest to Luxembourg? Yes!

You can sleep when you're dead!

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 pm

While meaning no disrespect to Luxembourg... we had a two day stay there a few years ago, as a part of a much longer land tour of Belgium-Netherlands, and we used it to rent a car and drive across the border to France and visit WWI sites. The cemetery at Meuse Argonne is really quite close and there are many, many other historic sites within a few “klicks.” With an early start, we probably visited 20 sites plus Verdun in one extremely long day.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:43 pm

I've visited a couple of times. It was fine, not sure I would make a special trip to return.

OP, will you have complete control over what you do or will you be subject to planned activities of your host? If the former I might go. If the latter it would depend on how much I liked the host as well as the planned activities. Finally, particularly as the trip is short it would depend on the class of travel and whether or not the flight is non-stop. First or business, yes; premium economy (with no connections), maybe; coach - no.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:41 pm

Roothy wrote:
Absolutely. I’ve been to Luxembourg City. Very picturesque. Additionally as another poster mentioned, the American Cemetery where the dead from the Battle of the Bulge are buried is also great place to visit. One of the more notable graves there is General Patton. While he didn’t die in the battle, he is buried there nonetheless. The cemetery is something like 50 acres IIRC. There is also the counterpart cemetery nearby for the German dead. I have been to both and they are quite a stark contrast...

traveler901

Post by traveler901 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:57 am

It's a beautiful city and worth staying a night or two if you are passing through by train. BUT, no way would I fly from the Midwest to visit Luxembourg for 3 days (after your travel time). Depending on your home airport you could be looking at 2 layovers and close to 20 hours of travel each way. That doesn't sound fun at all.

Unless it was paid for??

DJN

Post by DJN » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:04 am

Hi,
I spend a good deal of time working in Luxembourg. Not worth 5 days its tiny and undergoing mucho infrastructure works. Mind you including travel from Midwest? I would take the train to Paris or Brussels for a day.
DJN
It's a constant source of amazement to me, how little I know and how much there is to find out.

bad1bill

Post by bad1bill » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:24 am

It sounds like it's paid for by someone else so certainly go. Any excuse to experience Europe is good. Find a way to extend the trip (preferably on the back end, your friends will understand) to make it "worth" the hassle of traveling so far.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 am

Roothy wrote:

Unless too disruptive of your life upon return, I'd go. We pass this way but once.

You see the old town - that's half a day, perhaps. I think there's a museum too, and a fortress (18th century period).

The American cemetery is impressive from the air (haven't visited) - I'd go. That probably justifies the trip in and of itself. If you can get to any of the WW1 sites as well. Go. Walk among your forefathers.
Their story is not graven only in stone over their
native earth, but lives on far away, without visible
symbol, woven into the stuff of other men's lives.
-- (from Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War, Pericles' Funeral Speech; war memorial at U of Toronto)

On the way home to London we flew low over northern France and then over Kent - the garden of England. So close you could reach out and touch it.

I remember, once, we flew out of Philadelphia on July 4th. People pulled down the blinds to sleep, and yet below us were the 4th of July Fireworks -- how many times are you going to see that, flying over the city where American Liberty* was born ... the American Republic celebrate its central founding idea?

* Boston probably has a better claim. I've been to Bunker Hill, too.

Topic Author
Roothy

Post by Roothy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If I could extend it past five days, I would, but I can't. If they will spring for premium economy, I'll do it, damn the consequences.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:00 am

The German city of Trier is only a 45 min train ride away from Luxembourg City. It has some interesting sites including an impressive cathedral and Roman ruins. It's also in the heart of the Mosel wine region if you're into wine.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am

Watch a few episodes of the quirky show Patriot on Amazon Prime and you’ll want to go for a visit. Just don’t get into any trouble with the Luxembourg police LOL.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 am

magazinewriter wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am
Watch a few episodes of the quirky show Patriot on Amazon Prime and you’ll want to go for a visit. Just don’t get into any trouble with the Luxembourg police LOL.
Great show that nobody knows about.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 am

caffeperfavore wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:00 am
The German city of Trier is only a 45 min train ride away from Luxembourg City. It has some interesting sites including an impressive cathedral and Roman ruins. It's also in the heart of the Mosel wine region if you're into wine.
Trier is a neat little city. The Romans settled in this part of Germany but really didn't push across the Rhine except for brief skirmishes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:11 pm

jebmke wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 am
caffeperfavore wrote:
Trier is a neat little city. The Romans settled in this part of Germany but really didn't push across the Rhine except for brief skirmishes.
+2. OP should try to visit Trier, if they intend to make the trip to Luxembourg.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:11 pm
jebmke wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 am
caffeperfavore wrote:
+2. OP should try to visit Trier, if they intend to make the trip to Luxembourg.
+3 to Trier. This was my destination when I passed through Luxembourg many years ago. Porta Nigra (old Roman gate) and the old Roman amphitheater are interesting. The Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier is a nice compliment to the ruins, as it provides much historic & contextual information about them.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 pm

A castle city country. Best time is in Spring when pear tree blooming. 1 or 2 days would be nice.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 pm

magazinewriter wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am
Luxembourg is probably the least interesting country in Europe (I have done pretty much all of them), but it's a decent base for international train excursions. The No. 1 attraction in the city is Patten's grave, which tells you all you need to know. Thirty-six hours within Luxembourg is adequate.

I also visited Esch sur Alzette, where there isn't much apart from a WWII Museum. But the lady kicked me out shortly after I arrived because she had a doctor's appointment and no one to fill in for her. The people are definitely unusual. A drunken guy on my train back from Esch started punching and headbutting people when they got on at his stop, since they weren't obeying etiquette and letting him get off first. I thought, "Right on, dude. That's what I'd love to do sometimes."

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 pm

There a few years ago as part of a longer trip. I thought it was very nice. There was and probably still is a multi day country train pass that worked well for us.

A day in the city, take a tour of the battlements along the river, sit in a café drinking coffee and watching a game for a few hours. A day trip out to Wasserbillig where the Sure and Mosell Rivers join is a quiet and pleasant day. The Ardennes WW2 museum in Clervaux (Musée de la Bataille des Ardennes Clervaux (MBAC)) is a short walk from the train station through town with plenty of lunch places is another nice day trip from Lux city. Find a castle near a train station, etc. Can be a very nice 4-5 days. :sharebeer

centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 pm
Luxembourg is probably the least interesting country in Europe (I have done pretty much all of them), but it's a decent base for international train excursions. The No. 1 attraction in the city is Patten's grave, which tells you all you need to know. Thirty-six hours within Luxembourg is adequate.
There's a lot of supportive posts for this short trip, so I'm glad that SrGrumpy is giving a counter view. OP, if you've been to Europe 2 or 3 times prior, I agree with skipping out on the trip especially since it sounds like there may be ramifications of having the host pay. I've been to Luxembourg City as well. A mere half day is enough - it's just a small city with not so much to see. We walked around, saw the upper city and lower city, and some fortifications/casemates. There's not much else to the city. I agree with getting out and visiting other cities by train.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:45 pm

We landed there via an Icelandair flight in 1983. Spent 3 days and had a good time. As mentioned above, there is the U.S. Cemetary, Patton's grave. Took an afternoon tour of the highlights. You're also a short drive (or workable train ride) to the Rhine cities - Cologne, Koblenz - about 2 hours, maybe 3 hours to Brussels - if you want to get out for some day trips.

Matigas

Post by Matigas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:03 pm

To keep it economics related, Karl Marx house and museum is located in Trier also.
Frankfurt is close enough for a day trip.
London is easily reachable by car, Zeebrugge Belgium to Dover.
Definitely visit Patton’s grave. Across from American cemetery is a cemetery for German soldiers. No politics, just moving in showing the cost of war on all humanity.

I was fortunate enough to be paid by Uncle Sam to live and work in that area as a young man.

I would suggest making the trip.

Topic Author
Roothy

Post by Roothy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Well, I guess I shouldn't have expected an easy answer. :)

I think I'll make the trip, but plan to day trip away most of it.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:38 pm

OP has been coy about the purpose of the trip, other than the fact that someone else seems to be paying for it, or at least calling the shots.

The problem with a short trip to Europe from the states is the loss of almost two entire days for travel plus one (and possibly more) being sleepy to comatose because of jet lag.

Yes, I know some people get no jet lag at all. I get some, only partly mitigated by melatonin.

So- business, with a possible day or two of sightseeing, paid by somebody else? Sure. Vacation, paid by my own money? No way.