Anything you wish you had spent money on when you were younger?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
masonstone

Anything you wish you had spent money on when you were younger?

Post by masonstone » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm

So I know this forum is all about index investing and saving money. But is there anything you regret not spending money on? Like family vacations when your kids were younger or parents were younger/healthier?

crossbow

Re: Anything you wish you had spent money on when you were younger?

Post by crossbow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:52 pm

I regret not spending on budget travel during college years as I was brought up to be a saver and took it to an extreme. I'm in my 30s now with a wife and young child, and will not be making that same mistake.

Interested to hear what others regret.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Another travel lament. In college, I had an opportunity to go to China with a good friend who is Chinese. My friends who went were able to see the country in a way I could not hope to now even if I had the time for a multi-week trip. Instead, I went home for the summer to work for $10/hr :oops:

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:01 pm

If saving for retirement is "deferred spending", then I regret not "spending" more into my 401k.

I did the "6% is pretty darn good" for several years. I could have saved much more (percentage wise) even on smaller starting salaries.

Those new Tommy Armour 845s (early 90s) are long gone. :shock:
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
masonstone

Post by masonstone » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:12 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:01 pm
If saving for retirement is "deferred spending", then I regret not "spending" more into my 401k.

I did the "6% is pretty darn good" for several years. I could have saved much more (percentage wise) even on smaller starting salaries.
Lol that kind of "spending" doesn't count

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:18 pm

A meditation retreat would have probably been really helpful. Healthier food. A service trip.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:22 pm

masonstone wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm
So I know this forum is all about index investing and saving money. But is there anything you regret not spending money on? Like family vacations when your kids were younger or parents were younger/healthier?
I spent quite a lot on traveling and experience and not regret one bit. But I still regret not doing a better job earning more and saving more when I was younger. So I wish I had bought a lot of VTI back then. I'd have achieved FIRE by now.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:23 pm

No time to waste on regrets.
I did my traveling when I was young, living in different countries and not really considering the long-term future. When I finally "settled down" in my early 40s, I continued to live like a student. I never succumbed to lifestyle creep, although I did start spending a bit more. Perhaps I was lucky in that I grew up in a time when it was difficult if not impossible for a single woman to get credit, so I was never able to go into debt.

[Travelling again in my senior years. Head out in about an hour for the airport. Later, all.]

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:30 pm

H-Town wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:22 pm
masonstone wrote:
I spent quite a lot on traveling and experience and not regret one bit. But I still regret not doing a better job earning more and saving more when I was younger. So I wish I had bought a lot of VTI back then. I'd have achieved FIRE by now.
I'll be a contrary voice here. If I had saved every spare buck I made from age 15 to 25 on in a Roth instead of hobbies/travel/going out, I'd probably have an extra $100k or so - less than 10% of my portfolio today. I'd have missed out on a lot of wonderful experience and made a lot fewer friends.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Bitcoin

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:32 pm

In retrospect, what we regret is the failure to create a better memories. So we'll wish we experienced more (travel, events, activities) and spent more time with loved ones before it was too late. Nobody regrets not buying those $300 shoes 10 years ago.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:32 pm

I've always lived weirdly cheap my whole life. Cheap 10 year old cars (i'm not a car person), casual wardrobe (clothes from goodwill, target, etc.), and we settled into a house that fit our needs but didn't strain our finances.

Never have I had FOMO of anything. But the one thing I have issues with is possibly saving too much and not enjoying life. Simple things...I know it sounds corny, but when I was a child we would have Sunday lunch with my grandmother every Sunday...(the whole extended family), some Sundays we would literally take Sunday afternoon drives in the country...maybe get a Coke with peanuts. Being not stressed.

Those are the things I miss. "Experiences," you don't have any longer.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:33 pm

yeahman wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:32 pm
In retrospect, what we regret is the failure to create a better memories. So we'll wish we experienced more (travel, events, activities) and spent more time with loved ones before it was too late. Nobody regrets not buying those $300 shoes 10 years ago.
On the other hand, I do occasionally regret buying cheap things instead of quality items 10 years ago.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:33 pm

fizxman wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 pm
Bitcoin
:mrgreen:

This and travel.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:34 pm

I regret not having gotten my MBA. Now that I'm retiring, it doesn't really matter.

-B

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Perhaps I achieved the right balance because I don't have any regrets. I did lots of traveling and took lots of vacations in my single years while saving a lot for my retirement. Most of my vacations however didn't require a lot of money other than gas to get there and initial gear costs which I depreciated out over many many vacations. Now with kids and being FI, I'm just biding the time until the kids fly the coop before we hit the road again and travel even more than we currently do. This time around, I'll probably have less "gear" and stay in nicer accommodations.

Who says you can't do it all?

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:40 pm

H-Town wrote:
masonstone wrote:
If you earned more, you probably wouldn't have had time to travel as much, because you'd be hard at work.
If you saved more, you probably wouldn't have had as much to spend on travel.
If you had bought more VTI, you would have less to spend on travel...

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:42 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:30 pm
H-Town wrote:
masonstone wrote:
I'll be a contrary voice here. If I had saved every spare buck I made from age 15 to 25 on in a Roth instead of hobbies/travel/going out, I'd probably have an extra $100k or so - less than 10% of my portfolio today. I'd have missed out on a lot of wonderful experience and made a lot fewer friends.
My thoughts exactly, but I did not know how to phrase it the way you did. I regret not "going crazy" like my friends did when I was at an age where it would not have made a drastic difference in the future. It is difficult to find the crossover point, though.

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:44 pm

yeahman wrote:
There are actually a few expensive luxury items I regret not buying years ago. I tried to save money by not purchasing these items, but if I did, the amount I spent would have been a percentage of a percentage of my current portfolio. And I probably would still own those items (not shoes).

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:45 pm

As the perpetual dissenter, I will say definitely not travel. With all the travel I've done, for leisure and for business, I've come to the realization that it just isn't my thing. I blew plenty of money early in my life on international trips trying to enjoy it, and now I travel several times a year internationally for work, only to realize that I much prefer camping and hiking in my own backyard. I'll likely never have the time to see all the amazing things that are within a 6hr drive of my own home.

I wish I would have spent more on our first home. I thought it was the "forever home" when we bought it, and the wife said she agreed, but that isn't the case now. Easily could have afforded twice as much home and (I think) she would have been happy; 3.5yrs later that $400k home that checked all her boxes is closer to $600k.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Amazon stock in 1997.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

Topic Author
masonstone

Post by masonstone » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:45 pm
As the perpetual dissenter, I will say definitely not travel. With all the travel I've done, for leisure and for business, I've come to the realization that it just isn't my thing. I blew plenty of money early in my life on international trips trying to enjoy it, and now I travel several times a year internationally for work, only to realize that I much prefer camping and hiking in my own backyard. I'll likely never have the time to see all the amazing things that are within a 6hr drive of my own home.

I wish I would have spent more on our first home. I thought it was the "forever home" when we bought it, and the wife said she agreed, but that isn't the case now. Easily could have afforded twice as much home and (I think) she would have been happy; 3.5yrs later that $400k home that checked all her boxes is closer to $600k.
I traveled plenty of business trips and they are generally not enjoyable. Now when I travel for pleasure (which I have not done as much) is much more enjoyable because I'm traveling with family.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:51 pm

A really nice set of cookwear and knives. So many years of subpar equipment for something I enjoy doing. It's been rectified and I give gifts of nice pots/pans/knives to my young adult kids who like to cook to.

Other than that not really. I mean I wish I could have had a garage with my first house, but I couldn't afford it at the time.

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Spent more on my health, which can mean spending more or making less.

1) Work less...exercise more.
2) Take out less...cook healthy foods more.
3) Less stress...

Among material things

Wish I had bought the larger house with bigger yard and facing the woods in a state park.
50K more which seems like so much decades ago...so little now. But then again, spending more on material things
conflicts with some of my above goals. So I didn't go overboard and did partially achieve the above goals, just not as much
as I should have.

doug1022

Post by doug1022 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:04 pm

books on investing and / or personal finance

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Not much, I had a very good balance.
There are 2 things:
1. I started a 401k 1 year later than I could have. Also I did not do backdoor Roth conversions until several years ago.
2. I should have a slightly more expensive and larger house. Easier said than done, in my area it is very hard to find a 3 bedrooms 2000 sq ft. house. They are either smaller or way larger than that. At that time we were too conservative.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm

A lot of people seem to regret home purchases. Typically, it's because they overspent but even those who believe they underspent, I would argue that they actually overspent. I.e., they bought a less-than-ideal home when they should have rented, at least for a bit longer.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:26 pm

more travel with friends when life was simpler.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:24 pm

masonstone wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm
stoptothink wrote:

I traveled plenty of business trips and they are generally not enjoyable. Now when I travel for pleasure (which I have not done as much) is much more enjoyable because I'm traveling with family.
I spent Friday-Sunday night camping with my family a 2.5hr drive from my front door. Had a better time than any international trip I've ever been on, many of which were not work-related and which included my family and/or closest friends.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Regret not taking the story abroad semester during my MBA program.

Instead I graduated early and found there weren't any jobs for me (early 2010) :oops:

Wasted that time looking for non-existent jobs and preparing for chat CFA level 1 (which I failed by a smidgen). But I did audit a class on behavioral investing that was fantastic. That and global macro economics were my favorite courses.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:32 pm

I do regret not opening an IRA sooner. My first few jobs I had no 401k option, so it would have had to have been an IRA. Man, how different life could have been. Luckily I eventually got my hands on The Little Book of Commonsense Investing and it went on from there.

Separate from investing, I will cast another vote for travel. I was another one who stayed home earning practically nothing per hour at summer jobs when I could have been traveling at least a little. And back when you're young, a Rodeway Inn/Motel 6 is luxury accommodations, so I know I would have been fine staying wherever I needed to, be it a couch or actual bed. Oh well. Have to make up for it now.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:33 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Another travel lament. In college, I had an opportunity to go to China with a good friend who is Chinese. My friends who went were able to see the country in a way I could not hope to now even if I had the time for a multi-week trip. Instead, I went home for the summer to work for $10/hr :oops:
Same here. Last summer in college I had a chance to stay in France all summer for free if I could get myself there. Mom (who has never been out of the country, even now) said, you can't afford that, so I worked at a gas station all summer.

My mother gave me some pretty cr@ppy advice when I was young, at one point advising me to enlist in the military. Just a warning to any young people on here.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:10 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:33 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Same here. Last summer in college I had a chance to stay in France all summer for free if I could get myself there. Mom (who has never been out of the country, even now) said, you can't afford that, so I worked at a gas station all summer.

My mother gave me some pretty cr@ppy advice when I was young, at one point advising me to enlist in the military. Just a warning to any young people on here.
You should consider "that's all she knew".
People of that era did not have the interwebs, www, net, etc.

Most parents born in the 1920s-1940s had minimal formal education.
Why would a parent advise you contrary to their beliefs?

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/economic ... to-trouble
You research its origins if you GAcrap....

Good luck......
Last edited by aspirit on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:21 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:24 pm
masonstone wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

I spent Friday-Sunday night camping with my family a 2.5hr drive from my front door. Had a better time than any international trip I've ever been on, many of which were not work-related and which included my family and/or closest friends.
But why, what was different?
Several hours around the house is very nice in certain areas but you have limitations in what you can see and everything loses appeal in time. There is no beach or Tokyo or jungle or Paris inland US. And you are a prisoner of the local climate. Even from strictly hiking point of view, you can hike on a volcano in South America or in Alps, it's interesting to see different landscapes.
However there is additional hassle and discomfort and cost, especially with kids.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:31 pm

Starfish wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:15 pm
Not much, I had a very good balance.
There are 2 things:
1. I started a 401k 1 year later than I could have. Also I did not do backdoor Roth conversions until several years ago.
2. I should have a slightly more expensive and larger house. Easier said than done, in my area it is very hard to find a 3 bedrooms 2000 sq ft. house. They are either smaller or way larger than that. At that time we were too conservative.
I remembered another one: not spending money to retake the GRE because it was too expensive :oops:
And not spending money on a decent train to get there. And not spending money on preparation.
After travelling the entire night over the slow train with no sleeping option I showed up "fresh" for the test in morning without seeing a similar test before except an antiquated book borrowed from a friend.. I drank some coffee which made me very nervous and, while I had maximum points in the math section (easy to achieve for any reasonable 6 grader) I screwed up the rest.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 pm

I regret not buying and holding more AAPL in the 80s. And I sorta regret not buying property in my 20s.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Starfish wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:21 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:24 pm
masonstone wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

But why, what was different?
Several hours around the house is very nice in certain areas but you have limitations in what you can see and everything loses appeal in time. There is no beach or Tokyo or jungle or Paris inland US. And you are a prisoner of the local climate. Even from strictly hiking point of view, you can hike on a volcano in South America or in Alps, it's interesting to see different landscapes.
However there is additional hassle and discomfort and cost, especially with kids.
For me, it comes down to hassle of air travel and usually the underwhelming experience when I get there. I've been to some "cool" places internationally, but in most instances it was a lot more amazing in my head or in the pictures on my computer. When I am doing shorter, less hassle, and (yes) cheaper trips with my family, we can focus on the experience. So, part of it is my own expectations, but again, there are so many amazing natural wonders very close to where I'm at, that I doubt I'll ever see them all. My chances of being disappointed are a lot smaller when I'm driving a few hours and hanging with my family, then sitting for hours on end in an airport, then on a plane, possibly dealing with luggage issues, and spending thousands of dollars. Furthermore, I am very routine-oriented and have a difficult time with change and unexpected problems (I have an autism spectrum disorder); things will go wrong when traveling, it is just something you have to accept. There are, of course, still some places internationally that I would like to (and will see), but that list is small and shrinking.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:03 pm

When I was younger I pretty much spent all the money I had. I wish I had more money to spend back then.
But it all worked out. At least so far. I'm glad I did not spend more money than I had.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 pm

I wish we had stretched when we bought our first home so it could have been our last home. I was fine moving when I was solo. I had no idea how much I would hate moving with a family.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:34 pm

I kind of wish I had spent the money and time for a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering. I took a couple classes, and decided it wasn't probably worth it for my career.

And I think I was 100% correct in that. I can't imagine my career being any more successful than it was. I became sort of a super star in my industry.

And now that I'm retired at 54, I've been approached a few times about developing and teaching some college courses in my area of expertise. And I think that would be fun!

But the accredited universities require at least a Master's degree. And I don't think it's worth the dollars or time to earn one at this point.

I was literally planning for my retirement when I was 22, and invested accordingly. But I never thought about the effect that degree might have AFTER I was retired.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:45 pm

I saved way too much for retirement.That's all I say.
All the Best, | Joe

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 pm

yeahman wrote:
My wife does. There was some pair of boots in a store window in the Netherlands, back in the 80’s. She mentions those boots at least twice a year.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Travel. I wish I had taken that year off to go backpacking after college, among other places.

And there was one house that got away. At the time it seemed too expensive, so we bought another. We still love the house we got instead. But in retrospect, we could easily have afforded it, and it was an amazing house.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 pm

stoptothink wrote:

I'm with you. Not a fan of "travel".

I've tried it, a lot. I think I understand why some people like it, but it's not something I want to spend money on.

I'm happy I spent enough money on it when I was young so I know I don't want to spend more money on it now.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 am

I regret not spending more money on hotels while vacationing. For some reason I continue to cut corners when it comes to lodging. I only do this when traveling alone. The thought is I’d rather spend that money on good food, better seats at a concert or sporting event. Regardless, most of the time, I regret not spending more on a better hotel.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 am

No, not really. Money did not limit what I was interested in doing in those days--hiking and backpacking hours away from Phoenix, where I worked on weekdays.

ER2023

Post by ER2023 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:13 am

beyou wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:00 pm
Spent more on my health, which can mean spending more or making less.

1) Work less...exercise more.
2) Take out less...cook healthy foods more.
3) Less stress...
+1

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:31 am

I wish I'd gone to Woodstock. :sharebeer

But I'd finished my freshman year of college and was working 70 hours a week that summer doing tree service work. Instead of making a $1.25/hour at McDonalds like I did the year before, I was making $2.35/hour for the first 40 and $3.37 for the other 30. Not having time or energy to spend much that summer, I started the school year with a nice bankroll. :moneybag

FIREmeup

Post by FIREmeup » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 am

My eternal struggle. I was lucky right out of college, made a lot of money still living on a college budget. Saved a ton. Enjoyed a lot of time locally with friends and family and though many friends were grinding working ungodly hours and weekends setting themselves up, my job was stock trading and I had my weekends free and nights. Do I wish I perhaps got my masters in my free time? Do I wish I continued on for level 2 of CFA? Do I wish I was climbing a corporate ladder and making silly money at this point if I was lucky? I would have missed out on on fishing and rounds of golf and hanging out with my dad which abruptly came to an end with his cancer diagnosis. I wondered how I would be set up if I took a traditional path, but I dont regret a thing and am grateful for the time I got to spend with loved ones.

My wife and I did some traveling, looking back yes wish we did more but we had a fun time. Stayed in the nicer hotels when there was a benefit, scaled back when it seemed the value wasnt there. Great memories. Now we have young kids so an adventure is traveling to a new park and playground some hours away and playing with the kids until they fall asleep so the adults can enjoy the local eats and brews like the old days haha.

Did I wish we did more? Yes but I'm also happy knowing we did a lot and setting up the family for the best possible future is of new found importance.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:49 am

My initial thought like many was travel. However during an early portion of my career I had a nine month academic year contract and travel I did all over the place both domestic & foreign. 9 month contract didn't hold but I still traveled 2 or 3 of times a year to professional conferences often to interesting places.

So I think my answer to the question would be: living alone in a good small quiet apartment while a college student (dorm life & cafeteria food gets old fast); more money on quality food including eating out more often (although I have never eaten poorly); buying a car sooner (1st car purchase was at age 27 - a brand new 79 Volkswagen Rabbit which by the way I still own).