Road trip Salt Lake or Az to Vegas November

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoops777

Road trip Salt Lake or Az to Vegas November

Post by hoops777 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Any thoughts on driving from Utah or Az. to Vegas the beginning of November?Any road/weather problems at that time.We would like to see some of the National Parks briefly along the way.We have 6 days.No hiking just some photos and a general sense of the area.Thanks
Last edited by hoops777 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

fortfun

Re: Road trip Salt Lake To Vegas November

Post by fortfun » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:18 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm
Any thoughts on driving from Utah to Vegas the beginning of November?Any road/weather problems at that time.We would like to see some of the National Parks briefly along the way.We have 6 days.No hiking just some photos and a general sense of the area.Thanks
Roads will probably be okay that time of year but there is always a chance of snow. I drove through a snow storm on that route last Oct 20, 2018. You can swing down and see Capital Reef, Bryce and Zion pretty easily. Road to North Rim of Grand Canyon will be closed.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Zion National Park would be the easiest park to visit driving down Hwy 15. You could probably get a room at the lodge:
https://www.zionlodge.com
You take your chance with the weather.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:20 pm

We could also start and return to Vegas.I guess Zion is the best bet but uncertain about the other parks.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:23 am

We drove into a snow flurry in Bryce Canyon in May a few years ago, but not a big deal. Not sure if you setup your itinerary already, but I'd recommend zion, bryce, rt 12 to Capitol reef then Moab. We did this along with areas in CO and AZ, and it was honestly one of our most memorable trips. Very scenic.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 am

JMacDonald wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:01 pm
Zion National Park would be the easiest park to visit driving down Hwy 15. You could probably get a room at the lodge:
https://www.zionlodge.com
You take your chance with the weather.
Zion is really beautiful. Also check out Valley of Fire state park about an hour north of Vegas. Also has some great scenery...

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:20 pm
We could also start and return to Vegas.I guess Zion is the best bet but uncertain about the other parks.
You could get Zion and Bryce very easily from Las Vegas. Probably the easiest to do. However, if it is important, you could certainly see all of the Big 5 over a six day period. Utah does a nice job keeping its roads plowed, so I wouldn't let that discourage you too much. If you do hit snow, just take it slow and you'll be fine.

InMyDreams

Re: Road trip Salt Lake or Az to Vegas November

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:37 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm
No hiking just some photos and a general sense of the area.Thanks
Well, there's lots of scenery to be seen from a car, but it is a hiker's paradise.

I've used St George as a hub. Utah's Snow Canyon State Park is small, but beautiful, and right next to St Geo. Went to Valley of Fire St Park (NV). Pop up to Zion's main visitor center area one day, then Kolob Canyon another (same park). Bryce if weather permits. Maybe Cedar Breaks National Monument (bring your woollies). Red Rock Canyon in Las Vegas.
There's more to life than the cabin of a car, and traveling to many different places in 6 days could lead to that.

Snow, Zions, Bryce and Valley of Fire all have Red Rock - and yet they each have their own characteristics. Grab a geology book.

Alternatively, go to the Four Corners area, see Monument Valley, Hovenweep, and so on. Mesa Verde would be cold, too. But there are museums to see (Dolores, CO), and so on that don't involve hiking.

Topic Author
hoops777

Re: Road trip Salt Lake or Az to Vegas November

Post by hoops777 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions and information.